All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Boese - Charles Frederick Emigrated to New Zealand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  21:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the way forward would be to find Richard Frederick Boese(n), born about 1823.
Boe is quite a rare first name, but looks to be a more common name in Odal, Hedmark. I can not see that Boe Hansen & Marie Gudmundsdr had a son named Richard Frederick though.

There is also a couple Boe Olsen & Anne Olsdr in the same area, but no Richard Frederick found there either...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Sheena Boese

New Zealand
32 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  01:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Does anyone know what would be other forms of the name "Richard" in Norway or German Empire(German/Polish/Prussian)? Is "Berger" a christian name or does this refer to an occupation or personality or familial link by name?
Thanks, Sheena.
Go to Top of Page

Sheena Boese

New Zealand
32 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  14:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
Can someone please clarify any variations of the name "Richard" in Norway or Poland/Germany?
Also is the name "Berger" a christian name in Norway or does it signify an occupation, personality or a family connection?
Thank, Sheena.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  14:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Berger could be a christian name, Birger is an alternative, so is Børger.
Examples of variations of Richard could be Rickard, Rickart, or Rikart.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  18:21:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sheena Boese

Hi
Can someone please clarify any variations of the name "Richard" in Norway or Poland/Germany?
Also is the name "Berger" a christian name in Norway or does it signify an occupation, personality or a family connection?
Thank, Sheena.

Hi, Berger was his [Berger Boesen] christian name. His occupation was blacksmith.
The name is from the Old Norse name Birgir or Byrgir, and means helpful or (a) helper.
A more common spelling nowadays are Birger. Other variants are Berge, Børge og Børre.

These are the most popular spellings of "Richard" in the Norwegian 1865-census (No. of occurrences in ()):
Rikard  269
Richard 184
Rikkard  58
Ricard   50
Rikhard  42
Rikart   33
Richart  11
Rickard  10
Rikkart   9
Rikkert   6

Note that the names often was written as the census-taker heard it, or "thought" it should be spelled.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Sheena Boese

New Zealand
32 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  03:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many Thanks for your replies. Sheena.

quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

quote:
Originally posted by Sheena Boese

Hi
Thank, Sheena.

Hi, Berger was his [Berger Boesen] christian name. His occupation was blacksmith.
The name is from the Old Norse name Birgir or Byrgir, and means helpful or (a) helper.
A more common spelling nowadays are Birger. Other variants are Berge, Børge og Børre.

These are the most popular spellings of "Richard" in the Norwegian 1865-census (No. of occurrences in ()):
Rikard  269
Richard 184
Rikkard  58
Ricard   50
Rikhard  42
Rikart   33
Richart  11
Rickard  10
Rikkart   9
Rikkert   6

Note that the names often was written as the census-taker heard it, or "thought" it should be spelled.

Jan Peter

Go to Top of Page

Sheena Boese

New Zealand
32 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  13:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never been able to access the Norwegian Emigrants 1825-1873 Passenger lists on this site as it jams up. Is this search option currently not available? If someone can access it for me I would be very grateful - looking for Charles Frederick Boese OR Charles Frederick Boes Or Carl Frederick Boes OR Carl Frederick Bøes OR Carl Frederick Boesen - all these variations particularly with the surname spellings. Sheena Boese.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  21:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you read the search tips?

Most important: You must enter a minimum of 3 characters divided on all fields, and all fields need to have an entry; e.g.:

Year: All
First Name: Show all
Patronymic: Show all
Farm/surname: Contains Boe

First Name: Contains arl
Farm/surname: Show all

Patronymic: Starting with Boe

Patronymic: Contains Boe

etc...
Could not find any Boesen though...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Sheena Boese

New Zealand
32 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  22:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan
Yes I did read through the tips and instructions, the link just jams up my computer. I have sat there for 10 minutes or more on occasion waiting for it to load and always have had to shut the site down. I think the surname will either be Boes (as that's what he used on NZ doc's) or Boesen.
Thank you for looking for me though. Sheena.

quote:

Did you read the search tips?

Most important: You must enter a minimum of 3 characters divided on all fields, and all fields need to have an entry; e.g.:

Farm/surname: Contains Boe

Patronymic: Starting with Boe

Patronymic: Contains Boe

etc...
Could not find any Boesen though...

Jan Peter

Go to Top of Page

Sheena Boese

New Zealand
32 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  22:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan
I agree, my feeling however is that Richard Boese was maybe not born in Norway and possibly came from the German Empire as it was known then, the names of the Boes family listed on the website do not seem to tie in with any familial names in our branch of the family, however I have not discounted a link. I am going to do some research on the Martin Boesen that emigrated to NZ and see if I can find any links and check out specific shipping lists of the early 1870's into Wellington at NZ Archives. Thank you, Sheena.

quote:

I think the way forward would be to find Richard Frederick Boese(n), born about 1823.
Boe is quite a rare first name, but looks to be a more common name in Odal, Hedmark. I can not see that Boe Hansen & Marie Gudmundsdr had a son named Richard Frederick though.

There is also a couple Boe Olsen & Anne Olsdr in the same area, but no Richard Frederick found there either...

Jan Peter

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  23:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is more strange is Carolyne Shannon Atkinson, that's definitively not a Norwegian name. Sounds very British to me.

Carolyne could be Caroline or Karoline in Norwegian, but there is no possibility that Shannon Atkinson could be Norwegian. Chances for that is close or equal to zero, If that name is European, it has to come from the Uk....

Have you ever seen these names in conjunction with Norway or Norwegian heritage?
Ships Carpenter Charles Frederick Boese, born 1850, emigrated to New Zealand abt. 1872, died 1882
Father Constable Richard Frederick Boese born abt. 1823
Mother Carolyne Shannon Atkinson

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 20/10/2008 23:15:57
Go to Top of Page

Sheena Boese

New Zealand
32 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2008 :  05:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Jan
I was given the name of Carolyne Shannon Atkinson by another family researcher in NZ a long time ago and cannot verify where it came from. Since posting on this site I have been keeping an open mind about its relevance. It sounds Irish in its Anglicised form but had also thought the same as you - Caroline/Karoline Atkinson which certainly could be Norwegian. The mens names are verified on documents that I have, other than that they may be somewhat anglicised. I am meeting with a family member this weekend who may be able to shed some light on this subject re Carolynne Atkinson. There is a census record in 1865 telling for 0301 Christianaia connected to Christopher Boes. (record13906) father of Martin, Carl & Julius with a Ingeborg Caroline Boetzmann as the kone husmoder aged 53 record 17149 in the same household??
Sheena.
quote:

What is more strange is Carolyne Shannon Atkinson, that's definitively not a Norwegian name. Sounds very British to me.

Carolyne could be Caroline or Karoline in Norwegian, but there is no possibility that Shannon Atkinson could be Norwegian. Chances for that is close or equal to zero, If that name is European, it has to come from the Uk....

Have you ever seen these names in conjunction with Norway or Norwegian heritage?
Ships Carpenter Charles Frederick Boese, born 1850, emigrated to New Zealand abt. 1872, died 1882
Father Constable Richard Frederick Boese born abt. 1823
Mother Carolyne Shannon Atkinson

Jan Peter

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2008 :  08:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her lastname Atkinson can not be Norwegian.

I can't think of any similar spelling variants that would make it sound Norwegian either..., it is a very British name.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Sheena Boese

New Zealand
32 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  12:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My next research avenue forward for further information relating to Charles Frederick Boes(e) OR Carl Frederick Boes(e) is through the Seamans Register in Norway as his occuption is Ships Carpenter. Can anyone please advise me where I can obtain an experienced person in Norway to research this register for me?
Sheena Boese.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article