All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Still looking for Eleonore Larsen/Hans/Bergersen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  18:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't looked into marriages on board ship, but if she did marry a Bergersen, wouldn't he be listed on board too? Mr. Isaksen was in ND. He sent for the four of them. He was a cousin to Mrs. Sorensen and son to Isak Hansen. How would you find out if there were marriages on board?

Without Mr. Bergersen's full name, I don't know if I could find birth certificates. Who knows what name she took when she landed. She's a confusing person to find.

Thank you for your response. Mary

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  19:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mary,

North Dakota death records are searchable online at:
https://secure.apps.state.nd.us/doh/certificates/deathCertSearch.htm

The search engine is a little unforgiving, requires the exact spelling of the last name and a date written like this 01/01/1960 to 12/31/1969, no more than a ten year span search at a time.

If you decide you want to order any of the death certificates listed in the search click on "contact us" and read and follow the instructions. N.D. death certificates are still a bargain at $5/each!

There is a book out on the burials in Williams County, N.D. titled Rural Cemeteries of Williams County, North Dakota by Gloria Johnson. In this book the Lena Bergerson mentioned in the N.D. death index reference earlier is found with two other Bergersons in the Bethel Cemetery at Wildrose, North Dakota. One of the other two is her husband Carl Nicolie Bergerson and the other is her son Herbert. The entry concerning Lena gives her maiden name as "Larson", her birth year as 1882 (different from the ND death index entry see previous post), her death year as 1966, her marriage date as 30 Jan 1907. You should be aware that Wildrose is situated on the border between Williams County and Divide County.

Carl Nicolie's dates are 10 Aug 1881-30 Jun 1939
Herbert's dates are 27 Sept 1911-Dec 1977

It appears that they lived for a long while in the area (Divide, Williams, Mountrail counties) so you should be able to find this family in the 1910, 1920, 1930 census schedules online at Ancestry.com at your local subscribing library.

Here is the address for the usgenweb mount of the Hazel township, Williams County 1930 census page with the Carl Bergerson family. Lena's birthplace is given as Minnesota which weighs against her being the "right" one, but any port in a storm. Bergerson is not that common a surname in N.D.

http://www.usgwarchives.org/nd/williams/census/1930/28-02a.gif

Also a "fan" on 1920 as Minnesota is birthplace:

http://www.usgwarchives.org/nd/williams/census/1920/241-11a.gif

Good Luck

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 09/02/2009 21:27:45
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  21:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Census-1910 for Williams county, ND:
Carl Bergerson 28
Lena Bergerson 25
They are both listed as born in Minnesota in this census as well...

Census-1920 for Williams county, North Dakota:
Carl N Bergeson b 1882
Lana E Bergeson b 1885
Herbert Bergeson b 1912
Both Carl & Lana are listed as born in Minnesota. Herbert is born in ND, probably Williams county.

Census-1930 for Williams county, North Dakota:
Carl N Bergeson b 1882
Lina E Bergeson b 1885
Herbert Bergeson b 1912

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 09/02/2009 21:33:42
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  22:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mary,

Here are the Bergerson naturalizations listed at the Institute for Regional Studies website:

Name Country Date Papers County Volume Page Comments
Bergerson, Albert C Norway May 28, 1925 2nd Cass P-31 135
Bergerson, Eleonore Norway October 31, 1905 1st Ward D-11 078
Bergerson, Gudrun Norway October 03, 1906 1st Ward D-12 008
Bergerson, Julia Norway April 14, 1902 1st Griggs D-2 154
Bergerson, Theophile Canada June 02, 1927 1st Rolette D-6 084
Westby, Gust Bergerson Norway September 27, 1919 2nd Divide P-4 240
Bergersen, Andreas Norway December 14, 1882 1st Cass D-6 037
Bergersen, Andreas Norway July 13, 1892 2nd Cass F-24 013
Bergersen, Bant E. Norway May 20, 1901 1st Pierce D-2 059
Bergeson, Ben O Norway June 09, 1886 1st Cass D-8 068
Bergeson, Ben O Norway June 09, 1886 2nd Cass F-21 143
Bergeson, Hans Norway July 18, 1921 2nd Stutsman P-23 043
Bergeson, John Norway May 20, 1902 2nd Ward F-27 009
Bergeson, John P Sweden July 10, 1883 1st Cass D-6 282
Bergeson, O A Norway May 17, 1904 2nd Cass F-26 071
Bergeson, Ole Norway March 15, 1905 1st Ward D-7 318
Bergeson, Ole Norway October 31, 1898 2nd Grand Forks F-25 547

This illustrates something quite interesting and a little off the wall, that even though Bergerson is the name you know, this person may have been known by a different surname at different times and venues.

There is one other gentleman with a similar appellation from the ND death index online:

WESTBY, JOHAN BERGERSON 11/23/1975 Cass MALE 81 Years 07/10/1894 North Dakota Cass

And then there is this fellow in the ND death index:
WESTBY, HANS 05/02/1961 Stutsman MALE 81 Years 01/23/1880 North Dakota Benson

And:

WESTBY, GUST 06/03/1982 Divide MALE 90 Years 03/15/1892 North Dakota Divide

(Gust comes to America in 1907, lives in Wisc. then Mayville, ND then to Divide County. Leaving Norway:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=40&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=193693&merk=193693#ovre

The Eleanore bolded above is most likely the Eleonore Bergerson in the ND death index who died in 1928 in Ward county. This naturalization record is the declaration of intention, usually not containing much biographical information because of the year but will likely include the name of the port and date of landing in US which might help eliminate / accept her. The State Historical Society is the holder of the record and a copy can be ordered from them.

An exact date of death makes a search for an obituary much easier. The State Historical Society of North Dakota has a set of microfilm of the extant North Dakota newspapers. They answer requests through ILL and you pay a small rental fee and have the microfilm come right to your library.

http://history.nd.gov/archives/newsndpapers.html

Good Luck to you!

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 12/02/2009 18:08:04
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  04:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both very much. The bolded Eleonore Bergerson looks promising. I have her listed as Bergersen but I don't know if that makes much difference. Census reports aren't always accurate regarding spelling and ages either. Mange takk. Maryxxx

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  05:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mary,

A headstone entry for Ellen M. Bergerson with the dates 1883-1928 is found in the Eden Valley Township Cemetery, Renville County, N.D. She lays next to Martin Bergerson with the dates 1879-1959.

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  05:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks, Jackie. I've sent for her death certificate. Her birth date is correct. I wonder if there were children. I tried to follow up on Eleonore Bergerson's naturalization papers but noone has responded to me at the Vital Records branch. Is there anything I can look for that would give me information on Ellen's parents' names, like a marriage license application?

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  06:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mary,

The naturalization records must be ordered from the State Historical Society not the vital records people--might be why you haven't heard anything. Ellen Bergerson's d.c. might have information such as her parents' names and the like, but judging by the entry in the online death index which doesn't have a birthdate for her, I'm guessing that the d.c. might not have a complete birthdate for her.

Perhaps you could get an obituary. That would involve InterLibrary Loan and the State Historical Society of North Dakota. Towns closest to Eden Valley Township would be Mohall, Loraine, Sherwood. Mohall and Sherwood are probably big enough to have a paper. So at the state historical site check on newspaper dates. You might have to write an email, the last couple of times I looked at the newspaper listings the page could not be found!!

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  18:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI,
There is a family tree online that has a Martin and Ellen Bergerson. You can check it out at the following:
www.hartlandheritage.com
In the right hand box enter martin bergerson and the family shows up. Possible to eliminate or confirm family or even contact them.
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  20:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked on that site and he was married to an Ellen but not my Eleanore. She had an entirely different last name. Thank you anyway. I did write to the site holder just in case. Thanks. Mary

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  21:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thanks Kathy for the reference on the Bergersons at hartlandheritage.
Undoubtedly the Ellen Bergerson in the database is thoughtto or proved to be the Ellen Bergerson buried in Eden Valley Cemetery in Renville County. Guess this means Mary is back to the Eleonore Bergerson in the naturalization records. O well...

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  23:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI,
Another option she could try is just call the Steele County Courthouse and ask if they could check for marriage in that time period. I have called small courthouses on two different times and they looked for the info. while I waited. I would just make sure I have the information ready to ask and give them the time period. All they can do is say no. She can google Steele County Courthouse North Dakota and get the phone number. I didn't know if it was appropriate to post number here.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  23:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Well it wouldn't hurt to try but she'd have to make sure she asked for a search for all the possible surnames (Larsen/Larson Larsdatter, Hansen/Hanson Hansdatter, Bergerson).

I've searched the headstone transcriptions of Steele County and found not one Bergerson/Bergersen/Burgison/Birgerson, ditto Eleonore Hansen/Hanson, Eleanore Larsen/Larson. There are a few women born 1882, 1883, 1884 but none have been found b. on 23 Mar 1883 or with Lars.or /Hans. maiden name.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  00:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I have been looking too under all sorts of different ways, and nothing. Neither Elenore or Bergerson is a common name in North Dakota. I thought for sure something would pop up somewhere. What a mystery!
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  05:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kathy and Jackie. I'm wondering if they went to Canada or some other state. I know she went to Souris, ND, but from that point on, I've lost her. I am thinking of pursuing the connection between her and the travelers she came with and Isak Hansen's son, whose name was probably Isaksen/son. He paid their way. Mange takk.

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article