All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 John Hanson Ike
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

diana phillips
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  00:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Hanson my great great Grandfather was born near Oslo Norway in 1856. The 1880 Census says he Arrived to the US in 1868. His mother died shortly thereafter and he was moved to another home; he then took on Ike for his last name, (from the First name of the man of the house). They lived near Osceola, Iowa. I have tried many ways to find him, census, ship, immigration, records etc, but don't seem to hit on the right one. In fact I have a hard time finding a John Hanson living with an Isaac (long for Ike?) at any time.
I found John H Ike in 1880- living with another family as a laborer, and then I found he was married in 1880 to Carolina Anderson (Norway) and living in Dakota Territory through a state census. With the ship records, I don't find a family with John as a 11-12 yr old boy in 1868.
I would like to find someone who might have some knowledge of him., or tips on how I might track him down. Thank you.
sincerely, dp

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  05:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

You have a relative who has posted several times about John H. Ike at rootsweb. Her name is Linda (or Lin) Bohm. There are two email addresses for her but they are a couple years old:

knlbohm@mato.com

knlbohm@rushmore.com

In one of the posts, she gives a death date for John H. Ike of 17 Apr 1907, sometimes death certificates name birthplace and parents' names. Also John Ike took a homestead in 1882.

Ike can be a "Norwegian" name. There are two entries in the Nordmaendene i Amerika with this last name. Ole J. Ike was a Civil War soldier who came from Stavanger and whose son Frank was at Ray, North Dakota in 1906; and a Knut Olsen Ike who came from Eeg, Stjernerø in 1850 & settled at Black Hammer in Houston County, Minnesota about 1853.

Good Luck!

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  05:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked in the 1885 Dakota Territory Census and there is a John Ike who is 25 and a laborer along with his wife Carrie who is 28 living in Lisbon, Ransom County. Also listed is daughter E.S. The only problem is they are both listed as being from Sweden.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  11:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Near Oslo could be a surrounding municipality or County.
Are you sure he was born 1856 or could it be born about?

John could be Jon in Norway , his father was Hans, emigrated shortly after the civil war, could be Americanized from Johan, Johannes etc.

Not all are recorded in the 1865 census, wrongspellings appear, Digitalarkivet is updating the censuses.

From the 1865 census I have:
- Hjartdal parish Telemark County John Hansen age 10 on Frøland, father Hans Torbjørnsen
- Øyer parish Oppland County John Hansen age 10 on Paulsrud, father Hans Hansen
- Øyer parish Oppland County Jon Hansen age 11 on Strømsjordet, father Hans Johannesen
- Sande parish Vestfold County John Hansen age 10 on Sjøl, father Hans Johanssen.

to show you how a 1865 census look I bring up Paulsrud

If we expand the search for 1855 and -57, surrounding municipalities more possible John Hansen will appear.

Ike was harder to understand, most likely Americanized, a proposal could be Eiker, Aker, two municipalites not fare from Oslo

Dont give up.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 14/02/2009 17:04:20
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  14:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the source of the information that his name was John Hanson and that he was born near Olso?

The 1880 US census does not record what year a person immigrated - you must be thinking of the 1900 census. The 1900 census also lists a month and year of birth.

Where exactly was "near Osceloa, Iowa"? Is his mother buried in that area? What was her name and do you have any more information about her?

Have you searched for church records in the US where he was a member of the congregation? A Lutheran minister often recorded the original place of baptism and/or confirmation of persons who wre joining their membership.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  16:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre - You can remove the John Hansen Frøland from Hjartdal from your list under consideration above. That particular man stayed in Sauland ara of Hjartdal, married there, had children there and died about 1944 on a Lonar farm in Sauland, Hjartdal.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  17:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, It´s done Hopkins.

Ike is pronounced Eik (Oak) in Norwegian.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  17:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked on Ancestry and there is a John and Caroline Ike living in the 1900 Census is Deadwood, Lawrence County, South Dakota. The dates for his birth and immigration match what submitter listed. John Ike is listed in the South Dakota deaths with a date of April 15, 1907. His name is listed as John H. Ike. In the 1920 Census Caroline is still in the same area and listed as a widow. Many children born to them. Can do further look-ups if needed and think this for sure is the right family.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  18:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should be the same guy?

From "History of southeastern Dakota"
John H. Ike — contractor and builder; born in Norway in 1854.
Came to United States in 1865, and settled in Minnesota
Came to Brookings county in May, 1879, and to Volga Nov. 15, 1879.
Married Sept. 24, 1881, to Caroline Sophia Anderson.

Census-1880 for Township 110, Volga, Brookings, Dakota Territory

He lives with people named Bolgord and Jearrstead.

The Bolgord family could come from Balgaard in Verdal, Nord Trøndelag or Bulgaard in Kvernes, Møre og Romsdal.
Jearrstead could be Gjærstad in Hadsels, Nordland

Could John H. Ike come from Verdal, Kvernes or Hadsels?
Often, people from the same area of Norway emigrated to the same area in the US, but none of these farms are close to Oslo...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 14/02/2009 19:04:23
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  19:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This must be the same family that is listed in the Deadwood census. In births for one of John and Caroline's children, the mother's name is listed as Caroline Sophia Anderson also.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  19:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have access to the 1870 US-census, Kathy?
I found two John Hanson in Renville county, MN, born 1856 in Norway in that census. It would be interesting to see if whom he lived with...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 14/02/2009 19:34:24
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  19:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention in the 1900 Census for John Ike his birth month is listed as August and year 1856.
I looked on the family info. on Rootweb and Caroline is listed as being buried in Mount Moriah Cemetery in Lawrence County, South Dakota.
Her death is listed as 4-14-1931 and age of 74 years. Next to her is John W. Ike, death date listed as 4-17-1907, age 50 years. Could be some errors there in transcribing. If someone knew more on the cemetery could probably find more information.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  19:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of their children could have been named after their g.parents, so I'll list the 1900-census from Deadwood, Lawrence County, South Dakota:

John Ike, 43
Caroline Ike, 38
Herman Ike, 18
William Ike, 15
Carl Ike, 14
Arthur Ike, 12
Frankie Ike, 9
Lily Ike, 7
Earl Ike, 5
Nores Ike, 2
Walter Ike, 3 months

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  20:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The John Hanson in the Renville County, Minnesota census parents are listed as Hans Hanson, age 46 and Mary Hanson, age 46. John is listed as 14 and born in Norway.
I also found a John Hanson born 1857 in Preston, Filmore, Minnesota who parents are listed as Moris Hanson and Anna Hanson.
I only found the one 1870 John Hanson for Renville County, Minn.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  20:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kathyzeien

I only found the one 1870 John Hanson for Renville County, Minn.
Sorry, the other one is named John Hansen.

Moris Hanson looks to be living in Onalaska, La Crosse, WI in 1880...? He is a widower though, but his son John lives with him, so I think that rule him out...

The Renville John's looks more promissing... :)

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 14/02/2009 20:45:58
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  22:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I did both the John Hanson and John Hansen for Renville County and they are the exact same family. Odd as usually a alternate name is marked on the one census. It is just a duplicate of the same family.
I did look for family trees on Ancestry and no one seems to know anything about John from Norway. There is one private family tree under the name of Delgado that has a John Ike born in 1856 from Norway. The poster can request the owner of this tree for information, it does has two sources listed on info. for John. If they would at least have the area from Norway they were from, would be easier to track. Will keep looking but haven't found any information to help yet.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article