All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Kari Paulsdatter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Marlon Henvit
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  21:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am searching for the death record of Kari Paulsdatter (Tolsdad). The information I have is that she died in 1769. I have found a record Vågå 1739 - 1810 page 191 last column 9th from the top. Is this a Kari Paulsdatter? I know except for age it does not really identify her.

Marlon Henvit
Reno Nevada USA

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  22:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It appears to be a Kari Poulsdatter (a normal spelling variation), 65 years old, and either died or buried in July 1769. No other information is given.

The interesting style of the "K" can be compared to others named Knuds.... on that page and is a match.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  23:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The year 1769 is most likely coming from the probate register, she died on Slette, her name was underlined, see here, which means Slette or Tolstad was a farm of great importance in Vågå, or perhaps both farms were.

I found this information on her, bottom page.
(1775?) means the author found a Kari Poulsdatter age 71 buried April 1775

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 10/04/2009 23:32:37
Go to Top of Page

Marlon Henvit
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  01:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is her. Those are her parents and I have her birth date as 1702 just as they do.

Thanks

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  09:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have more add. information, liklely coming from Vågå Bygdebook in this familytree from 1999, see here and nr 32 Paul Hansen Tolstad and 33 Anne Olsdatter Rusnes.
Paul was a Lieutenant, Dragon-soldier and Sheriff in Vågå. He married the 16 years old shepard girl on the farm, Anne Olsdatter Rusnes, against his mothers will.
Dragon was a horse soldier trained to fight on foot, hi regiment was likley Nordenfjelske Dragonregiment.

I´ll bring up more translation later, time to visit my cabin.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/04/2009 19:50:52
Go to Top of Page

Marlon Henvit
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  17:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much. More ancestors of mine are in that family tree. My information comes from a 5th cousin I found several years ago. His information goes back a very long way. I have no reason to doubt him but I like to verify as much as I can. My problem of course is the language. When my grandmother and her parents came to this country in 1881 they did not pass the language along to their children. I have a note about Paul in my records. Is it the same as what you sent?

I 1675 lot Paul seg verve som rytter på Akershus, avanserte til korporal og endte som secondløytnant under general Johan Vibe som var kommanderende general knyttet til det nordenfjeldske Norge. Paul kom tilbake til Vågå og overtok farsgården før faren døde i 1695. Senere ble han lensmann i Vågå, et ombud som fulgte hans etterkommere på Tolstad i ca. 100 år. Pål og Anne hadde tolv barn, som kun ble omtalt som "de tolv fra Tolstad".

Thanks again for all your time.

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  19:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome.
You have more information than the family tree.
Here is a translation from your reply:

In 1657 Paul recruited as a Dragon (Horse soldier) on Akershus Fortress and advanced from Corporal to Second Lieutenant under general Johan Vibe, commanding general in Nordenfjelske Norge. Paul returned to Vågå and took over "Farsgården" his fathers farm before his father died in 1695. Later he became "Lensmann" Sheriff, a representative followed by his descendants on Tolstad in about 100 years.
Paul and Anne got 12 children, only mentioned as "The twelve from Tolstad".

In the family tree its mentioned that descendants after Paul and Anne are living in the whole valley of Gudbrandsdalen and Hadeland, Toten (two areas in Oppland County consisting of several municipalities) etc.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/04/2009 19:57:19
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  22:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pauls father, nr 64 in the family tree, Hans Paulsen Tolstad, was an interesting person so a translation about him seems right.

He was born 1625 and married Anne Simensdatter Heggen d. before 1696. Hans died April 5. 1695.
He was a leasholder on Tolstad in 1648 when he married Anne Simendatter. In 1659 he recieved "Livbrev" on Tolstad including farm Kværnberget. 1658 Hans Paulsen is mentioned as a Captain in a "Bondehær" (an army recruited among the farmers) in connection to that Trondhein was reconqured from the Swedes.
Mentioned 1685 as the first free farmer on Tolstad by a deed (property) on Jan. 14.
In 1688 he bought farm Tofte. Children: Knud, Anne, Paul and Sime. Sheriff in Vågå.

Add. inf.
"Livsbrev" (Hard to translate, the word don´t exist today, Life letter) was normally issued by the king (the authorities) and gave a person right to cultivate a farm or recieve the profit from it (I believe this was a present after the military campaign in 1658).

The divisions that was send to Trondheim from eastern Norway in 1658 consisted of soldiers from Akershussiske and Opplandske regiment and a division of 500 farmers from Gudbrandsdalen in command by Georg von Reichweins 1593-1667 and by ship from Bergen town, western Norway, Bergenhussiske regiment in command by Generalkommmissiarius Ludwig Rosenkrantz .
The two regiments and the division from Gulbrandsdalen arrived Trondheim on October 1. 1658, Bergenhussiske had arrived three days earlier, and surrounded the town.
Dec. 11. the Swedish divisions in command by Clas Stjærnskiøld surrendered and was permitted to leave Norway, they left within 6 days.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 12/04/2009 00:08:07
Go to Top of Page

Marlon Henvit
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  00:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the following notes on Hans Paulsen and Anne Simensdatter:

Erholdt Tolstad på livstid i 1651. Best kjent som "Bondekapteinen" etter at han i 1658 deltok med bønder fra Gudbrandsdalen for å befri Trondheim med omland som svenskene hadde erobret. Han skiftet i live mellom sine barn, hvor det fremgår at han eide Tofte på Dovre, Kalstad og Kalstadrud samt Hodom i Gausdal, Baarstad på Lalm, og dessuten hadde bygsel på Ingulsjøen i tillegg til at han fra å være leilending på Tolstad, kjøpte gården av brødrene Marselis ved skjøte datert 14.01.1658.

Anne var et drivandes kvinnfolk som styrte på Tolstad med hard hånd. Hun fikk dermed tilnavnet "Heggjerota" av tjenestefolket på gården. Både fødselsdato og dødsdato er antagelser, og hun døde muligens noe senere enn det som er oppgitt her.

Is this different from what you sent to me? All the information is the same as what I have except I have a date,1630, for Anne's birth in Gausdal. Also instead of a child named Anne I have one named Kari. I am descended from both Simen and Paul.

Again, thank you so much for all you have done.

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  10:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Marlon,
only small divergences concerning the dates about when he became the owner of the whole of Tolstad. Normally in the 1700 it could be several owners of a farm, partowners. The user of a farm had to share his income with the other owners, this was accepted in a document.

The translation from your last posting.

Erholdt Tolstad........Recieved Tolstad for the rest of his life in 1651. Well-known as "Bondekapteinen" (Captain of the 500 farmers) after he had partissipated with farmers from Gulbrandsdalen to rescue Trondheim town conquered by the Swedes.
The probate between the children was held when he still lived, from that we can read that he owned Tofte in Dovre, Kalstad, Kalstadrud and Hodom in Gausdal, Baarstad in Lalm, and leased land at lake Ingulsjøen. In addition from beeing a lease holder on Tolstad he bought the farm from the two brothers Marselis, the deed (property) is dated Jan. 14.1658.

Anne was a very competent woman and run Tolstad with a strong/hard hand. From the servants she got the nickname "Heggjerota". The dates for her birth and death is approximately, perhaps she died later than indicated.

Add information: Generalkommissiarius Georg von Reichwein owned the first revolver ever build, an 8 shot revoling sylinder build by Hans Stolper in Nyrnberg, Germany 1597.
The revolver is kept in Maihaugen museum in Lillehammer town. I assume Captain Hans Paulsen Tolstad looked on this revolver with great interest.

Gudbrandsdalen starts in Lillehammer and ends in Dombås, Gausdal is west from Lillehammer. Lalm, Vågå and Dovre is north in the valley

Pictures from Lalm

Tofte in Dovre, was earlier owned by the king, also a station "last stop" where travelers could get room and food before they passed the mountain Dovre.

Tofte has been wisited by king Harald Hårfagre, according the Saga he met one of his wifes, Snøfrid Svåsedatter here after 872 (Snorre page 70).
Tofte was also wisited by king Karl Johan.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 12/04/2009 17:46:15
Go to Top of Page

Marlon Henvit
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  21:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kåre,

Thanks again for all your wonderful information and help.

This is a little off topic but I was looking at that family tree and noticed a death date for Kari's husband Ole Olsen (Slette) as 1775. I have always had a date of 1795 but could never find a record. There is a death record at Vågå 1739 - 1810 3rd column # 3 for a Ole Olsen. The age is correct for someone born in 1707. Is there any indication that this might be my Ole Olsen?

Happy Easter.

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  23:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess you mean Ole Olsen age 68 buried Mai 1775, looks like Ole Olsen Slette to me, the name is underlined, means he was an important person in the parish, 3. column #4 from top, here.

Exiting that Tofte is metioned in the Saga about the kings, Heimskringla written about 1225-30, Harald I and Snøfrid from Tofte got four sons, Sigurd Rise, Halvdan Hålegg, Gudrød Ljome and Ragvald Rettilbeine. When Snøfrid died young Harald mourned for three years (Heimskringla/Snorre page 72).

I have tried to figure out the meaning on the nickname "Heggjerota", this could be a blind track but worth a try;
Heggje is likely local for Hegg and Rota means Root, the wood from the Hegg (Bird Cherry) is known as strong/stubbern/tough.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 13/04/2009 11:12:32
Go to Top of Page

Marlon Henvit
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  21:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kåre. As usual you have provided a wealth of information for me.

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  23:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome.
Your Norwegian ancestors is coming from exiting families.
Do you have any information about the parenst to # 65, Anne Simensdatter Heggen, see the family tree from April 11, and # 130 Simen Trondsen Heggen and #131 Kari Amundsdatter Aulstad/Olstad?

I have interesting information from two other familytrees which seems honest to me, the information is likley coming from local historian books called "Bygdebooks", but since the sources isn´t mentioned I cant verify the truth of the contents, (it´s a lot of garbage and wrong information online) but this looks very honest to me.
If you want to check for yourself I can post it tomorrow evening.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Marlon Henvit
Medium member

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  01:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I have is a little different from the family tree. I have Anne's Father Simen Trondsen (Heggen) born 1585 and died 1675. I have his father as Trond Heggen, no dates for bith or death. For Anne's Mother I have Kari Amundsdatter (Aulstad) born 1600, died 1679. Her parents were Amund Gundersen (Aulstad) died 1645 and Sigrid Bjornsdatter (nodre Opsahl). She was born after 1575 and died 1649. Then I have two generations past Amund and one generation past Sigrid.

Simen and Kari had 6 children that I know of and I am descended from daughters Anne and Marte.

All this according to my 5th cousin who claims to have traced the family all the way back to Harald Hårfagre, Should I be suspicious?

Yes I would like to check anything you can find.

Marlon Henvit

Reno, Nevada USA

Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  19:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, concerning your 5. cousin, be suspicious.
We know the names of 7 of king Haralds wifes and 23 of his children, he had likly many more. I have learned that statistic 5 % of the population in Norway are descendants from the viking kings, so your 5. cousin could be right, the problem is to prove it. Some farms in Norway are going back to the nobilities in the 1200-1300, from there it´s "easier".

I´ll start with three family trees on Lensmann "Sheriff" Simen Trondsen Heggen and Kari Amundsdatter Olstad/Aulstad, here and here and espesially this family tree containing information which seems correct to me.

Jan 10. 1661 king Fredrik III of Norway/ Denmark send out a document to be signed by nobilities, the priesthood and the bourgeoise called "Suverenitetsakten 1661" (it made the king to an autocrat). Among the persons who signed this document was Lensmann Simen Trondsen Heggen.

Three years earlier, on August 24. 1648 Lensmann Simen Trondsen was one of the delegates reprenting Gausdal when king Fredrik III was honored "Hyllet" on August 24. 1648 by the piers at Hovedtangen outside Akershus Fortress, right side in the photo.

The Lensmann/Sheriff in the 1600 was appointed by the authorities among just/fair and honest farmers, so we can be sure Lensmann Simen Trondsen was elected by the free farmers as one among 2-4 delegates representing Gausdal in 1648. They brought presents to the king with them, often an object made of silver or pure silver. If the document isn´t lost what kind of present they brought with them shall be mentioned.
The distance to travel from Gausdal to Oslo is about 100 Miles.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 14/04/2009 20:54:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article