All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Norwegian Ims & German Ims
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alfons Ims
Starting member

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  18:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
I'm German and new in the forum.
I'm very much interested in the relations between the Norwegian Ims' and the German Ims'.
Do you have any information about this relation? Are there any Ims who migrate from Norway to German or the other way around?
I would be happy about every hint
Best regards
Alfons Ludwig Ims

Edited by - Alfons Ims on 14/05/2009 23:31:53

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  21:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I am not sure if there is any relationship here.
The origin of Ims is Norway is named after the farm Ims.

The first Ims mentioend in Norway is noble man Tore Ims "Thorer paa Ims" in a document from 1361 where Tore, his wife and son sold a part in a farm to Halvard Eriksson. Further down, 1300 language, it tells the sale was sealed by a handshake.

Today its about 340 Ims living in Norway.

There is much information online about Tore Ims, ancestors after him also used the family name Benkestok/Benkestokk.

in 1900 most of the Ims family, 48 persons, lived in Høle population centre in Sandnes municipality in Rogaland County.

Looking for any relationship between the German and Norwegian Ims, this area could be the right place to start.

8 persons from this family emigrated to USA between 1884-1962.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 15/05/2009 09:29:32
Go to Top of Page

Alfons Ims
Starting member

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  13:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Kare (sorry but I don’t have a ° above the a on my keybord)
Many thanks for your message.
In German language of the middle age Ims or Imbs means a small dish for the night. If you have some left over at dinner in my region people still say “This is good for another ims”. Mayby it originates from the word Imbiss.
There is a small town in south west of Germany called Imsweiler. Weiler means hamlet = a group of houses in the country or small village especcialy one without a church. Up to now I didn’t found ancestors from Imsweiler but from the region around.
The oldest Ims I know is Vincenti Ims, born about 1675 and there is a Johann von Imbsen (1400-1455).
I still hope to get info about the Norwegian and the German Ims’.
Best regards
Alfons Ludwig Ims
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  17:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That´s ok, I have problems with the german Y and Ø.

The name Ims in Norway is likely named after the nearby lake or river to the farm and means shallow water.
In 1602 and 1610 its spelled Imbs, also spelled Imms, Eiembs and Emms.

Off the record.
In 1623 many German miners came to Kongsberg in Norway to work for the Silver mine Company, it was unemployment for the miners in Sachsen and Harz so they were "headhunted" by King Christian IV, Korfyrst Johan Georg of Sachsen was to a great help in finding miners.
In 1648 150 Germans worked for the company.
Ancestors after these miners, must be several thousand, lives in Kongsberg and around in Norway.

Many of the mines has German names, most wellknown among them are;
Sachsen Grube, Haus Sachsen, Gottes Hulfe in der Noth (Gods help in the need), Gabe Gottes grube, Morgenstierne, Armen grube (was given to the poor peole and taken back when big quanities of silver was found).

Good luck with your Ims investigation.

Kåre

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  00:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have ancient family ties on the Norwegian Ims farm in Høle, Rogaland (circa 1560-1640) but I have found no links to Germany in that history.
Go to Top of Page

Alfons Ims
Starting member

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  14:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for this answer.
Are your info about these 'Ims' available?
Of cause - if somebody is interested in info about the German 'Ims' - I'm willing to share

A.L.I.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  20:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The notes started for a bygdebok about Høle by the author Sigleif Engen are available on the Internet. Go to the website for DIS-Rogaland.
http://www.disnorge.no/ro/
The book notes are linked from the right hand column on that page below the image for "Kilder fra Sola" and above the words "Web Statistikk".

Ims is one of the farms there available for your choosing to review. The notes gathered by Sigleif Engen range into years earlier than parish records or probate records known to me. Before his death Mr. Engen did complete a series of bygeboks about the neighboring Norwegian area of Forsand.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  20:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wouldn´t surprice me if the people of Ims in the 1500-1600, even no connection has been found, were ancestors after Tore Ims.

I was wrong when I called Tore Ims for a noble man, it was his son Tord according the Saga.
He saved the king´s life when he was chased by his enemies. The king honored Tord by lofty him to a noble, he took the name Benkestok.

The location of Ims, not fare from Høle and links to the farms.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 16/05/2009 20:59:58
Go to Top of Page

Alfons Ims
Starting member

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  16:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot - I'll try my best to understand the Norwegian language :-))
Go to Top of Page

Alfons Ims
Starting member

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  12:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kare

above you mentioned:
8 persons from this family emigrated to USA between 1884-1962.

Do you have the names of these family?
I would be very graceful if I get it

Regards
Ali
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  15:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ali,
following Ims emigrated to USA from Høle, Høgsfjord and Lysefjord Rogaland county, dep. port Stavanger town Rogaland County.

- 1884 Olaus Ims born 1839, wife Tobia Olsdr. Ims born 1848 and son Olaf Ims born August 15. 1872, dest America.
- No emigration year for Jonas Ims born 1852, died Dec. 12. 1909 and wife Ida Omundsdr. Ims, dest Milwaukee, Wisc. USA.
- 1954 Solveig Ims born 1914, married, traveled alone, dest. USA
- 1962 Bjørg Ims born 1937, unmarried, dest. USA

Source: Digitalarkivet, "Emigranter fra Stavanger 1825-1970"

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  17:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1910 US Census has a Jonas O Ims age 56 born abt 1854 in Norway, widowed living in Minnesota. immigrated in 1884. Jonas has listed five children all born in Minnesota.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  23:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another person in the same census but not mentioned above is Iver Imes, age 54 born abt 1854, wife Rakel Imes age 52 both born in Norway and son Ole age 22 born in Minnesota. As with Jonas they are living in Sioux Agency, Yellow Medicine, Minnesota. Sioux Agency is currently a township in Minnesota and Yellow Medicine is a county, both in the far western portion of Minnesota.
Go to Top of Page

Alfons Ims
Starting member

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  23:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but there are two Jonas Ims

Jonas E. Ims born 09.1852 married with Ida Amukson born 12.1860

and

Jonas Olsen Ims, born 27.05.1853 married with Anna Chrisitna Mauersen, born 09.04.1854

both Jonas emigrate from Norway to USA
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  00:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can find Jonas E. Ims in the Iowa State Census for 1885. He is listed as age 32 with wife Ida E Ims age 26 both born in Norway living in Centennial
Townnship, Lyon County, Iowa with children Inga Maria Ims age 4 born in Wisconsin and George E Ims age 2 born in Iowa.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  01:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also find an older record for Jonas O Ims other than the 1910 US Census I posted above. I also found in the 1900 US Census a record for Jonas Olson Ims age 47 born May 1853 along with his wife Anna Ims age 46 born April 1854 both born in Norway and immigrated in 1884. Along with children
Ole J age 15
Karl age 13
Jana age 11
Anna age 9
Syvert age 5
Ingval 6/12

all born in Minnesota and living at that time in Sioux Agency Township, Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article