All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 NIELS ANDERSSON STEDJE's CHILDREN
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

luellastilley

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  21:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand that he had 14 children from four different marriages. His first two wives died in childbirth. His third wife Unni Torkelsdaughter Venes (1794-1816) died giving birth to my great-great grandfather Erik Nielson Stedje (b. 6 Nov 1816). Niels married again to Kristi Olsdaughter Leirmo. I believed he died in 1826.

Erik and his wife Kari emigrated in 1856. I'm looking for brothers/sisters that also emigrated. I think one was named Brita and one was named Kristi. I don't know any other names, There may have been others who also emigrated. Thank you for your help.

Luella

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  22:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't say much about location here, but I assume this is S&F county...?

Here is Unni Torkildsdtr Wenæss (8) in census-1801 for Sogndal, Sogn & Fjordane.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  23:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should check in the bygdebok for Sogndal. Start by checking the information listed in that book for the Stedje farm.
"Sogndal Bygdebok: allmen bygdesoge tida før 1800" by Per Sandal.
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/bygdebok.html

Your other research method would be to use the parish records of Sogndal and gather the names of the children from birth/baptismal entries. The other children will probably also have birth/baptismal entries very similar to Erik's in November of 1816 (top of right hand page).
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=11659&idx_id=11659&uid=ny&idx_side=-89

That book may well also give you information about which of them, if any, emigrated from Norway.
Go to Top of Page

luellastilley

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  23:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What years were censuses taken? Was there a census around 1825 for Sogndal? That would be a year prior to the death of Niels Andersson Stedje--it would also give me names and ages of the children at that time. Without names and without being able to read Norwegian, it is difficult to locate information in the Actus Ministerials which I know has the family records. How would the children's names be listed, for example, Brita Nielsdatter Stedje??? Since I don't know if she was married, single, younger, or older than her brother Erick Nielson Steie, I am having difficulty. Thank you for your information.

Luella
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  01:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norwegian censuses --
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na0.html
http://www.rhd.uit.no/nhdc/census.html

No one knows how names will be listed before they are seen. There is no magic answer for such a statement. My first guess is that the other children's entries in the birth/baptismal records would be much like the one for Erik which I linked for you earlier.

No one here knows the names or ages of the other children either -- did you even try? I don't read or speak Norwegian either but it isn't that hard to study a bit and begin to use the parish records. It is just a matter of working at it.
Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

Are you planning on making any efforts to check the bygdebok for Sogndal? There was a lot of information I gave you link to about using and obtaining a bygdebok.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  03:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This could be your Brithe, The father is Niels Anderssen but the mother is Synnevie Pedersdatter, However the family is the Stedje family

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=11659&idx_id=11659&uid=ny&idx_side=-167
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  09:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the lower part of right page is a statement regarding the widower Niels Andersens intention to marry his 4th wife. The statement is dated May 17 1817 and reads as follows (to the best of my present ability to understand the writing) "Da jeg underskrevne Enkemand Niels Andersen Stedie, agter at indgaae udi Egteskab med den ærlige Pigen Chrestie Olsdatter Leiremoe er hermed mit forlangende at der for os som forlowede maa skie den befalede Tillysning af Prædikestolen thi hawer jeg formanet den welagtede Mand, Sæterpigens Broder Johannes Olsen Leiremoe, med meg at underskrive til Widnesbyrd om hendes Samtykke, og at ellers intet ? kan være til hinder - til widnesbyrd om at Stewboet efter hans afg. Hustru Onni Torkildsdatter er taget under lowlig Behandling, da Enkemanden ej havde at framvise det lowslige skiftebrev, eller bevis fra Skifteforwalteren mødte de 2nd belagte Mænd, Ole Eriksen, Rutlin og Peder Johannesen, forpagter paa Præstegaarden. ? ?
Niels Andersen Stedie - Johannes Olsen Leiremoe
Begge med paaholden Pen"
- in short, his 4th wife to be was Chrestie Olsdatter, Leiremoe. They were married Juni 23
Their first child was named according to normal practice Onni after the deceased wife - right page at bottom.
Onni Torkildsdatter died in childbirth and was burried Nov 13 1816
The marriage record for Niels Andersen and Onni Torkildsdatter is dated Oct 29 1813

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 19/05/2009 21:11:05
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  16:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Niels Andersen Stedjes first wife was Sigri Torkildsdatter Wenæss, they married Oct 25 1800, see left page
Their first child was baptized March 25 1801, see Britha right page.
The second child was baptized Anders on Jan 22 1803.
On Jan 13 1805 they baptized Sigri
On Jan 14 1809 Niels baptized a new Brithe the mother was now Guri Torkilsdatter.
Niels first wife Sigri died in childbirth and was burried Jan 17 1805, see right page - she was 24 years old
Niels Andersen and Guri Torkildsdatter were married Nov 6 1805, see next to last couple on right page.
On Febr 20 1813 Niels Andersen and Guri Torkildsdatter baptized the twins Anna and Kari, see right page.
Guri Torkildsdatter was burried March 5 1813, she was then 27 1/2 years
Niels Andersen died 56 years old on Sept 23 1828

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 20/05/2009 05:21:21
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  05:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Niels Andersen and Christi Olsdatter had a daughter Guri born April 18 1821. She died in 1826.
They also had a daughter Christi March 11 1823, see #49
Jan 11 1825 they had the twins Niels and Ole, see 12 og 13 Ole died in 1827.
Gjertrud was born Sept 23 1819.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 20/05/2009 05:49:15
Go to Top of Page

luellastilley

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  00:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for all of your help. I will digest all of this information that you have given me before seeking further help. Thanks again, Lue

Luella
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  06:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just made a check and found proof for the fact that Niels first three wifes were sisters.
Sigri bapt Dec 25 1780, last record in right column on left page
Guri bapt July 1 1785
Unni bapt Jan 26 1894
Torkild Erichsen Weenæs and Sigri Johansdatter Elvehiem were married Nov 22 1779, see last record in left column on right page
Torchel Erichsen was baptized May 30 1755, see next to last record in far left column his parents were Erich Jensen, Wenæs and Sigri Rasmusdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 26/05/2009 07:23:49
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  08:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your g-g-grandparents were married April 12 1853, see #6
Kari Johannesdatters baptismal record is the last one on right page she was born Jan 22 1821 and baptized at home the same day by Britha Bindevig. Her parents were Johannes Johnsen and Kari Jensdatter at Høgeteig.
Johanes Johnsen Hoegeteig and Kari Jensdatter Brusegaarden were married Oct 30 1820, see first couple on right page

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 26/05/2009 08:38:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article