All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 johansen family tree
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kirsty ormond
New on board

New Zealand
4 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2009 :  12:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello
I am trying to find any information on ole johansen and martha johansen (nee)svendsdatter was her maiden name these charming people are my GGG GRANDPARENTS. They traveled to new zealand on the hovding ship in 1872 from norway and ported in napier. if any body could help with photos or help me with a family tree of there life in norway before departing to n.z I would be so GREATFULL

CHEERS KIRSTY

kahurangi

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2009 :  14:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most likely your Ole Johansen is #25339 who came from Gran, was born 1832 and died Jan 24 1923.
I believe Martha Svendsdatter could be Marthe Svendsen, #29124 who came from Kristiania, was born 1826 and travelled to N.Z. 1873 where she died Oct 31 1902.
It would be helpful if you could confirm at least their death year.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 23/09/2009 15:41:35
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2009 :  23:28:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kirsty - You have not provided vital date information such as years born. Did they have children with them when they emigrated?

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wgnorway/good-queries.htm

If you do a "Forum Search" for any earlier posting which mentions Hovding AND 1872 you will be given links to earlier postings which mention both of those words. One of those links is to a passenger list for the 1872 sailing of the Hovding from Oslo/Kristiania.

Then the emigration protocol database for the port of Oslo/Kristiania should be checked to see if it lists the prior residence location of those particular passengers. Those databases are available at the Digitalarkivet website.

But without birth years such a search is a task which cannot prove a match for you.

Edited by - Hopkins on 23/09/2009 23:29:39
Go to Top of Page

kirsty ormond
New on board

New Zealand
4 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  01:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank-you very much for that ;I have all the records for them here in newzealand when they departed from the hovding ship to there journey to norsewood there births and deaths record Iwas wanting more help with norway life and history of them before they migrated to newzealand
were they lived and whether they married in norway they had a son olaf and there daughter.her name which i dont know i was also wanting to know if ole johansen had any brothers/sisters.

cheers kirsty

kahurangi
Go to Top of Page

kirsty ormond
New on board

New Zealand
4 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  01:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole johansen was born 16/09/1832 norway he died on 24/01/1923 age 91 and buried in norsewood cemetry newzealand
martha( nee)svendsdatter -johansen was born 27/03/1826 she died 31/10/1902 age 76 buried norsewood cemetry newzealand
martha boarded a ship 1825 which they were called the sloop restaurasjone departure stravanger july 5 arrived in new york the passenger
list also added a addition to her as martha steen

kahurangi
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  04:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kirsty - Your postings are almost impossible to read. Try adding punctuation and capital letters where appropriate.

The ship Restauration cannot have anything to do with this couple. It left Norway before they were ever born and it left from the other side of Norway.

Go to Top of Page

kirsty ormond
New on board

New Zealand
4 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  12:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hopkins
Just by the information that the Norway Heritage provides me on the ships departure and arrival dates it shows that ole Johansen
borded the ship Hovding and travelled to New Zealand in 1872.
Ole Johansen arrived first.Then Marthe svenddsatter came on the next ship carring the women and children..

kahurangi
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  16:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The emigrant register for persons leaving Norway from the port of Oslo/Kristiania show a 40 year old Ole Johannesen (therefore born about 1832) and family going to New Zealand on the 1872 sailing of the ship Høvding. He is accompanied by his wife, Marthe Kristoffersen, 10 year old son Olaf Johannesen, and 4 year old daughter, Josefine. They are listed as having previously lived in Gran, Oppland, Norway.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=11&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=25339&sokefelt=skjul

The emigrant register the 1873 sailing of the ship Høvding to New Zealand lists an unmarried woman named Marthe Svendsen. She lists her age as 46 at the time of the sailing (therefore she would be born about 1826 or 1827)and she lists that her previous residence was in Oslo/Kristiania.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=15&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=29124&sokefelt=skjul

http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood
Kiwi Viking special member

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  05:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Kirsty.

There were 2 families with parents Ole and Martha JOHANSEN - both from Norway, and both Ole JOHANSENs arrived on the 1872 Høvding. (The other married Marthe CHRISTOPHERSDATTER.) You may need to keep this in mind.

Do you have a list of your Ole and Martha'a children? I may be able to help you with some records.

Pip
=====
Norsewood Cemetery & Settlers' Genealogies Project
www.norsewoodcemetery.co.nz
Go to Top of Page

loubainbridge
New on board

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2023 :  15:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there, i am also a GGG grand daughter of Ole and looking for information about his life prior to NZ and his wife. I see Marthe is listed but my information only has Ole, Olaf & Josefine arriving in NZ. Olaf married Sarah Atward 31/08/1887 in the Lutheran Church in Norsewood. I have our history for Olaf but i'm looking for anything concrete on Ole and his life before NZ and what happened to his wife?
Cheers
Louise

Louise Bainbridge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article