All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Ship SS Indiana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cknoah1
New on board

3 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2007 :  04:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! I searched the Liverpool index and found the records for only $3.45! Highly suggest searching through the index, which has records from 1890-1960. The website is called findmypast.com

Noah Lapidus
Go to Top of Page

Melanie Taylor
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  08:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Thanks to the Norway Heritage website, I was finally able to finally track down my great-grandparents a couple of years ago, based on likely dates of departure from Norway and family lore regarding passage on the American Line. It turns out they came to Philadelphia, PA on the S/S Indiana in 1875, having first taken the Argo from Bergen. Without the advice posted on the website, I would have remained clueless to this day...

On the passenger list, instead of using their American surname of Anderson (his), or their last used Norwegian surname of Munson (hers), turns out they used the Munson farm name of Morland! Also, instead of listing their country of origin as Norway, they were somehow listed as having come from France (!), but Morland is in Fjell. Was this a language problem?

I could never find them in any index, because I was looking for "Anderson" & "Norway". I literally had to go to the National Archives and look on microfilm at all possible ships' passenger lists for the American Line within a likely date range. I know the transcription project hasn't gotten to the year 1875 yet, but I'm wondering if they will be passed over since they were listed as having come from France or might they be included if their name is recognized as being a Norwegian farm name? I can't help but wonder how many other people are having trouble searching for similar reasons...

Also, any idea on how they might have gotten from Philadelphia to Iowa in 1875? Thanks, and best wishes to everyone who is still looking for family members! :-)
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  12:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The passenger lists that are filed at the arrival port were actually created on-board ship by a member of the ship's crew. It would be difficult or impossible to guess why those persons were listed as from France.
As you've probably read in the many online articles about Norwegian naming patterns and practices, it was quite common for Norwegian emigrants to use their farm name. Some remained using the farm name, often with fascinating adaptations of spelling, and others sometimes returned to using a patronymic name as their surname in the "new country".

Migration within the US states after 1875. ... Well, once again that would have to be a guess. I'd imagine some railroads were available - but still a limited number of railroad bridges that would cross the MIssissippi River. You'd have to do some research into railroad history - but do not expect to find records of such internal migrations. They could have travelled by boat as far as suitable rivers could be used and such service might have been available. They could also have traveled by horse-drawn wagon or ox-cart. I would image they used whatever combination of such transportation means were available to them and such that they could afford to use.
Go to Top of Page

Melanie Taylor
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  05:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply, and my apologies for the repost to more than one topic. Being new, I'm not sure how it all works just yet, and I realized too late that part of my post seemed better suited for the other topic.

Yes, it would be interesting to find out someday how they got from Philadelphia, PA to Norway Township, Winnebago Co, Iowa, where they first settled before moving farther west. I tend to agree that the RR might not have been how they got there. Years ago, someone else speculated that they might have travelled by water through the Great Lakes, though I don't know any more yet about that possibility. Maybe they followed the RR west as it was built? My gr-grandparents lived and raised their family of 13 children in RR station houses. A Swedish neighbor of theirs, once wrote that he inspected track, giving Norwegian names to every section of track whereever they lived and he worked, sometimes in western Iowa, and sometimes across the river in southeastern S. Dakota.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  11:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The LDS Family History Library catalog (familysearch.org) lists two published histories of Winnebago Co. IA. You should read those for any stories of the immigrants who settled there. Also look for any published histories of the area town(s) and churches where they settled.

I found mention of the travel methods of a few of my emigrant ancestor's NEIGHBORS in a small northern Iowa town in 1970s centennial publications issued by both their church and their tiny town, no details concerning travel of my own family, but some of their friends and neighbors.

I've also read a centennial books for several towns in Hancock Co. IA and learned that several of the little towns were started along a railroad as it was being built, sometimes as locations for the railroad employees/construction crews to rest and be fed. I recall that Britt, IA (Hancock Co. and still the site of the yearly "National Hobo Convention") was one of these and was named for one of the workers -- but I do not recall the year. The railroad they were building was probably heading west to Winnebago Co. area but that isn't information I recall.

Little golden nuggets of information can sometimes be found in the published histories of counties, towns and churches. Also don't pass up reading through various stories of emigrant travel as available on this website.
http://www.norwayheritage.com/articles/templates/Voyages_Reiser.asp?articleid=93&zoneid=23

I also have Norwegian emigrant ancestors who came to northwestern Iowa (Buena Vista County, IA circa 1872) BUT they left no letters or personal stories of that voyage. Mine arrived at Quebec, Canada and were living in Iowa within a fairly short time - I don't know how they made that trip, I've been left to assume that their trip was typical of the others who settled near them.
Go to Top of Page

Melanie Taylor
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  05:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your suggestions, and for the above link to other stories. I'm sure I will find them interesting. Thanks also for mentioning the centennial books. Much of what little I do know about my family came from a similar book from Sioux Co, IA.
Go to Top of Page

McCallum
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  00:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LCraig

I was thrilled to find all the information on this forum.I have just found the passenger list of the S.S. Indiana and discovered that my great grandmother and some of her children came from Scotland in Sept 1893 to Philadelphia. I believe my great grandfather must have come before her but can't find his name on the passenger list on Ancestry.com. They did return to Scotland and I'd like to find their return journey. I'd also love to find a picture of the ship, Indiana.

Richard McCallum
Go to Top of Page

McCallum
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  00:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you email me the SS Indiana passenger list, I am looking for a Patrick McCallum or McCollum
mccallum1944@yahoo.com

Thank you,

Richard

quote:
Originally posted by LCraig

I was thrilled to find all the information on this forum.I have just found the passenger list of the S.S. Indiana and discovered that my great grandmother and some of her children came from Scotland in Sept 1893 to Philadelphia. I believe my great grandfather must have come before her but can't find his name on the passenger list on Ancestry.com. They did return to Scotland and I'd like to find their return journey. I'd also love to find a picture of the ship, Indiana.

Richard McCallum
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  00:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you searched on ancestry.com. If you haven't, I can for you. It would help if you could provide a birth year. A quick search of ancestry.com using 1893 and Philadelphia and ship named Indiana did not turn up any good candidates.
Go to Top of Page

mccallum1944
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  17:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cknoah1

My great-great-great grandfathers family arrived from liverpool on the Indiana on October 17, 1894 in Philadelphia. I have found the Philadelphia ship list, but does anyone know where I can locate the Liverpool ship list index?
Thanks,
Noah Lapidus

Please post if there is a Patrick McCollum listed on the Indiana on October 17, 1894 (i tried to email you but the forum would not let me)
Richard mccallum1944 at yahoo.com

Richard E. McCallum
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article