All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 ss oder 6-12-1868
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Heidi Neverman
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  07:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a novice and I think I need some help with my ancestors emigration from Norway. I think I found them on the ss Oder departing June 12 1868 but they were traveling to Hull so I know there must have been a connecting ship to the US. I simply do not know where or how to find it.

My ancestors are Johannes Johannesen, his wife Vibik Olsdttr, his brother Tale Johannesen and 9 year old son Johan Johannesen. They all settled in Wisconsin. Thank you for any assistance you can give.

Heidi

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  08:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe some more info would be beneficial. I found that they came from Nęs, Hedmark. Johannes Johannesen was 34 years in 1868 and he used the farm name Stavseie.
In 1865 he was at Vesterhagen with his vife Vevig (Vevike in the marriage record and Wivike in the bapt. record, born Jan 20 1824).
It seems like both Johannes and Tale (actually Tolle) should have been Johansen since the father was Johan Hansen, their mother was Lisbeth Tostensdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/04/2010 13:40:50
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Neverman
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  15:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your research. Yes, all that information you provided is accurate to what I have. I thought that the people listed on that voyage were them because the ages and names were pretty accurate and I know that Johannes and Tolle emigrated in 1868. There seems to be so much spelling variation in the records that I also assumed that was the reason for the difference. Honestly, the part of it that doesn't make sense is the Stavseie farm mention since I knew that he was at Vesterhagen also and his family was from Nedre Maurud. What additional information would be helpful?

Heidi
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  20:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vesterhagen was a place under Stav (Staff) and could also be referred to as Stavseie (Stav property).
See picture.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/04/2010 20:13:05
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Neverman
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  22:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness! I am stunned by the amazing pictures on that website you cited. I could serach through those for days. Thank you very much for clearing up the farm issue. I would have never made that connection.

Heidi
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Neverman
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  02:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Einar,

I have another question for you that doesn't necessarily pertain to my ancestor's emigration. I am just curious if you would have any insight into why US immigrants from Norway would choose the name that they did. The ancestors I mentioned in my post took the name Lund when they came to the US and I have always assumed that it came from Baekkelund farm which was part of Maurud. Now, in the pictures you sent me there is a person by the sirname of Sund in the pictures from Vesterhagen. It made me think that had something to do with them taking Lund as a sirname, especially since their name in the early census looks way more like Sund than Lund. I just thought you seemed very knowledgable and may have insight into this. Thanks so much.

Heidi

Heidi
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  03:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have numerous Norwegian emigrant ancestors who chose various names after they settled in the US.

My great-great-great grandfather came to the US in 1859 and his name was Ole Johannesen. He was usually known as Ole Johnson in the US BUT on his tombstone he has "Ole Johannesen Hildal". Turns out Hildal was the name of the Norwegian farm where he was born. He lived on a number of different farms in Norway before he emigrated with his family and could have used any of those names that he chose.
In the US you can call yourself whatever you like -- as long as your name change is not for purposes of fraud.
A Hildal cousin still in Norway insists that Ole Johannesen had NO RIGHT to use the Hildal name since that wasn't the last farm he lived on. I disagree - he could call himself whatever he chose to. He could have called himself Ole Perkins and would have every right to do so.

Some slightly more distant emigrant cousins chose to use the US surname Lund. (I still remember exactly how Grandma and her family said that name - very Norwegian sounding - said almost with a reverence.) I'm still trying to find where they pulled that from in their history.

I have another ancestral family that came over as "John Olsen" and in federal and state censuses of the US I find that he was identified alternately as John Olson or John Risvold. It wasn't until he completed US naturalization processes that he settled upon one of those. Upon careful research it became obvious that the farm Risvold was where he was born, where his family still lived and where they had had history back into the early 1700s.

Another family last resided on a Kjellesvik farm. About 1/3 of them used the surname Chelsvig in the US, some spelled it Chelsvik, and others just used Johnson. The family did NOT have a long previous history on that farm so I was surprised that they chose to struggle with the pronounciation difficulties they obviously had to overcome.

Keep studying the background of your own family. Collect ALL the names of the places they lived and you'll probably be able to get a pretty solid idea of where they drew the name Lund from but you might also still have a modest mystery.
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Neverman
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  03:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! So in short... no easy answers. I guess that is okay and also what makes it fun.

Heidi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article