All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 A Tinnemannen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

heidithoe
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  01:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,
I was look through a Bygdebøk for Gransherad (Gransheradsoga pg 472) and found the following ...
"Eilef Olsson Hustveit, sonen til Ola Olsson Hovdejord (Tinnemannen) var g.m. enka etter Tov Tormodsson, Kari Vetlesdtr."

I understand the translation is that Eilef O. Hustveit is the son of Ola O. Hovdejord and married Kari Vetlesdtr the widow of Tov Tormodsson, but what does the Tinnemannen in parentheses mean? An occupation, class status, or a farm family?

Thanks for the help
- Heidi

~ H Thoe ~

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  05:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wikipedia about Tinnemannen. Unfortunately only available in Norwegian, but the online translator may be of some help.
Found this tree as well - and more on Olav Hovdejord.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 27/04/2010 06:51:51
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  06:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the tree the marriage between Ole Olsen Hovdejord and Anne Ellefsdatter is said to be Febr 28 1703, the parish record for Febr 13 says "Trolovede Jeg Paa Hovdejord Ole Ollufsøn og Anne Elevsdatter", see top of right page.
Eilef Olsson (Elev Olsen) was baptized June 24 1705, see 7th line on right page where it says "Døpte Ole Hovdejords Barn Elev"

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 27/04/2010 06:52:21
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  13:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try some translation...

Tinnemannen means "the man from Tinne". Literally translated "the Tinne man". Tinne is a farm in Telemark, close to where the city Notodden is located today. It was used as a nickname for Olav Hovdejord (1680-1765), who lived his last years at the Tinne farm.

"Tinnemannen" is today the name of a traditional song from the same area, and the song is named after Olav Hovdejord, who should have sung this song after a captain cut off one of his hands.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  13:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bygdebok for Heddal/Hitterdal, Telemark (Hitterdalsboken, gaarde og slegter by O. H. Holta is available on LDS microfiche.

The information about the Hovdejord farm there begins page 294, the Tinne farm begins page 211.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  23:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ellef Olsen was Ole Olsen "Tinnemannen" and Anne Ellefsdatter (widow when she married) 2. child, bap. June 24. 1705 died on Folseland in Gransherad after 1761.

Ole Olsen and Anne Ellefsdatter got 7 children, he married 2. time 1733 to Aaste Torstensdatter Tinne, 3 children, their 1. born child Anne b. 1735 married Leif Leifsen Heibø, brother to my ancestor Anloug Leifsdatter Heibø.
Ole was sheriff in Heddal, he also used Hovdejorden as last name since he lived there for 30 years and 30 years on Tinne.
Hovdejord Sept. 27. 1731:
Ole Olsen Hovdejord established a contract between himself, his 1. wife Anne Ellefsdatter and their children.
His value was valued to 8250 Riksdaler, no debt.
Signed by 6 men.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

heidithoe
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  02:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!

Eibache - Thanks for the wiki and translation site. I have been getting pretty good at using these.

Jan Peter - Thanks for the quick summary. There is a song, and a missing hand... how interesting!

Hopkins - Thank you for the bygdebøk reference. It will help, I plan to check out the Hitterdalsboken. Hopefully Harvard library has it; I have been pretty lucky so far.

Kåre - So, again our families connect, i Hem og i Tinne.
It is amazing how much Ola was worth, I must read further about this ancestor of mine.

You have given me a lot to do in the next couple days. All of you are a great help.
- Heidi

~ H Thoe ~
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  23:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a small world.
Tinnemannen was rich, he owned or was part-owner in several farms as;
Hovdejord, Tinne, Tveiten, Sem, Huristveit, Ylen Underland, Holte, Rekaa, Omnes, Hvalen, Flathus, Noragutu, Tvedten, Laaavold and Stiven.

Anne Ellefsdatter was born on Tveiten ab. 1680, parents Ellev Nilesen Tveiten 1614-90 and Ragnild Gregarsdatter Ryen 1628, d. before 1690.
Both Ellev and Ragnild had been married before.

My ancestor Anloug Leifsdatter Heibø from yesterday married Gregar Stenersen Ryen.
Gregar Ryen was ancestor To Ragnild Gregarsdatter´s sister Torgunn 1625-87, they had 6 siblings.
Father was Gregar Halvorsen Ryen and Gunne Halvorsdatter (origin unknown), they married 1624.
Gregars father Halvor Ryen d. about 1660, mentioned in documents 1645 and -50.

This family is called the old Ryen family, Ryen has taken back the old historian name Rygi after the builder of Heddal stave church, Raud Rygi.

The old Ryen family gave land when Heddal Stave church was build about 1200.

the owners of Ryen, Tormod Ryen, Saamumd Mæland and Knut Leikvam was taken to court by priest Jens Jacobsen who claimed that the Ryen people and parents had given away all of Ryen to the church, if they had not, the priest wanted to know what was given to the church.
Saamund owned Ryen 1603 and its supposed that Saamund Ryen is Halvor Ryen´s forefather, in 1645 Gregar Ryen and "Qvinde" woman (unknown name) lived on Ryen.

An old timber cabin on ab. 60 square yds. where a carved rose on the wall is dated about 1200 on Ryen called Drømski.
The saga tells prosperity, progress and happiness will exist on Ryen as long as Drømski is not changed or demolished.

Gregar Ambrosen Ryen went bankrupt after some bad investments he made during WW1 and Ryen was sold on auction by the local bank 1925.
In a convercation with the author of Hitterdalsboken, O.H.Holta 1925 he said; " I thought perhaps the reason was I modefied to much on Drømski"

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 28/04/2010 23:14:40
Go to Top of Page

heidithoe
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  01:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I always like the stories you share. Gregar shouldn't have touched the Drømski...
Does it still stand today?

~ H Thoe ~
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  15:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
Drømski still stand.
In the old house on Ryen the walls, roofs, cabinets and doors are beautifully painted in religious motives dated 1766 and later, my ancestor John Gregarsen was born 1775 on Ryen.

Many ancestors from this family emigrated to USA, a homestad in Yellow Medicine River, Minn. is still owned by the family, ancestors to Johns oldest brother Leif Gregarsen B. 1763.
Mike in Vancouver, Wash. has he helped me a lot.
Ancestors to Gunild Gregarsdatter b.1760 lives in Wisc.

I like to get the story about the persons and families I find, sometimes it´s easy, like in Heddal.

O.H.Holta 1851-1928, the author of Hitterdalsboken, knew the farms and people he wrote about, therefore his information can be trusted.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 18/01/2015 18:57:37
Go to Top of Page

brassband
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2015 :  16:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Ran into this site and topic and have some questions.

Ellef Olsen Huristveit (Hovdejord) son of Ole Hovdejord "Tinnemannen" is my 5th great grandfather. Information received from a 2nd cousin of my father told us Ellef died in 1767. Also the date of birth for Ellef's mother, Anne Ellefsdtr Tvitan, we have birth as1670, died 1632.

In addition to being referenced in Hitterdalsbokken Ole, son Ellef and wife Sigrid and their son Olav along wife Mari Torgeirsdtr Bolkesjo are all mentioned in Gransheradsoga, page 472.

I am looking to purchase a copy of Gransheradsoga and Hovin Soga. I have a few photocopied pages from Gransheradsoga but I have a number of additional farm/family names from Gransherad and Hovin that I have no information about. Busnes, Hem, Romme, Helleberg, Strand Tveitan Kaali, Melaas and Sem. I've used aa in place of the a with the circle above it for a couple names.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2015 :  18:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gransheradsoga is online link click on ok.

Farmregister on page 5.

Busnes is probably Tinn parish, Hem is most likely Sauherad parish.
I see that your lastname is Miland, Miland in Tinn?

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 18/01/2015 18:19:12
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2015 :  18:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to borrow the Gransherad book by InterLibrary Loan through my local public library several years ago (here in US).

It appears that the Hovin book is less widely available in this country but still might be available to borrow that way.
Go to Top of Page

brassband
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  20:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[I see that your lastname is Miland, Miland in Tinn?

Kåre

My ancestors came from Tinn. My great grandparents were married in the Mæl church. A 3rd cousin still owns the farm.

Since my email address is not from Norway, I can't access the the book at the central library.

It looks like I am going to be ordering a bygdebok with Sauherad information.

Thank you.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  23:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again.
Sauherad Bygdebooks, all volumes, 1-5, are online, the farm register are among the first pages in each book.
Scroll down in alphabetically order Link

OLE is consistently spelled OLAV.

God Luck.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 02/03/2015 23:33:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article