All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Martin Norgren Davidsen, Boston 1912
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Mikklesen
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2011 :  23:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have waited over a year for this but I think I have what you have been looking for. Bring this up and notice two people going to Duluth, Minnesota. http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=7&filnamn=EMIBERG&gardpostnr=72921#nedre
Now bring this up and click on the top line "Signi" https://www.familysearch.org/search/records#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Asigne~%20%2Bsurname%3Adavidson~%20%2Bany_place%3Aminnesota~%20%2Bany_year%3A1930-1930

It is my belief that both of these "Martin Davidsen's" and "Signe Johannesen's" are the same. I hope that helps you. Just to be clear, I also believe that it's "Petra's" Martin we are talking about. Wish I had better news but that is my belief. On the plus side I think you always thought you had relatives in the US somewhere. I think you were right even if they are only 1/2 relatives. Good luck

Mike Hansen
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  00:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the Martin Davidson family in 1920 US Census

Name: Martin Davidson
[Marton Davidson]
Home in 1920: Virginia, St Louis, Minnesota
[13]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
[abt 1907]
Birthplace: Norway
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's Name: Signe Davidson
Father's Birth Place: Norway
Mother's Birth Place: Norway
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of immigration: 1900
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Martin Davidson 43
[13]
Signe Davidson 28
[23]
Mabel Irene Davidson 7
[17]
Lillian M Davidson 5
Dorothy R Davidson 3
[3 5/12]
Vivian Nygard 17
[11]
Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Virginia, St Louis, Minnesota

This data indicates a year of immigration of 1900, however the data shown with Signi shows a year of immigration for her of 1911. Looking at the original census form the immigration data for Martin is so poor as to be almost unreadable.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  00:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minnesota birth certificates can be accessed here

http://people.mnhs.org/bci/Results.cfm

For Lillian Margaret Davidson her mothers maiden name is listed as Meyer.

Alice and Dorothy are also included with mothers name as Meyer.

Edited by - AntonH on 21/07/2011 00:30:56
Go to Top of Page

Mikklesen
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  03:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you lyndal40...To be honest, I never thought about "Maiden Names" in a patronomic naming system. This could be confusing. Yes! Dorothy Katherine is also with Lillian Margaret when Signe (or whoever) lists her maiden name as Meyer. Mildred Shirley's birth, 13 June 1920 finds the name Johnson as a maiden name which is easily mistaken for Johannesen, the "correct" maiden name. Although "Alice" has a Meyer maiden name, no one is claiming her here although it is possible. Mabel Irene's birth is not mentioned at all. Did you notice on the Emigranter fra Bergen database that Signe Johannessen's name has "(Skogly)" written in the Etternamn column? Do you think that is her birthplace farm? Where do you think she got the name Meyer? Maybe at Skogly's!?? Be well...............

Mike Hansen
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  05:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed in the Bergen database that Signe was from Drammen. There is a Skoger connected to Drammen and that maybe what the Skogly refers to. From Wikipedia

Skoger is a village located on the border between Buskerud and Vestfold counties, Norway. Of its population of 1,082 as of 2005, 654 were registered as residents of Drammen whereas 428 live in Sande in Vestfold county, Norway
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  10:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Em.gration record from Bergen tells that Signe was born in Lier-Drammen 1890, lived in Drammen.
Both Lier and Drammen are neighbor municipalities in Buskerud County.

Skogly can be a familyname or a farmname.

Meyer is a familyname.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

tuilui
Starting member

Norway
14 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  11:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for not giving up on my quest for the lost grandfather ;-)

In theory Mikklesen could be right. However: "my" Martin leaves Trondheim may 29 1912 ( here ) , and arrives in Boston June 14, 1912. If Mikklesen is right in his theory Martin also travelled from Bergen the year before, August 5 1911.

This is of course possible, but traveling to U.S was quite expensive. Mikklesens Martin is also listed as machine engineer but my Martin is listed as "tømmermann" e.g. carpenter.

On the other hand; Mikklesens Martin names his children "Lillian" and "irene" both names with long tradition in my family....

This was very exiting!

Tor, Sola, Norway
Go to Top of Page

Mikklesen
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  13:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In searching the 1900 and 1910 Telling for all of Norway it revealed that there is only one (1) Martin Davidsen/Davidson born in 1877 +/- 2 years in the entire country and he is OUR Martin. There are simply no others. Therefor finding a man living in the USA and claiming to be a certain age from Norway and I said to myself, who else could it be? There are no other Martin's around that time.

Mike Hansen
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  17:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found a Martin Davis and Signe Johannssen arriving into the US thru Canada. Here is the information on Martin. Destination is Duluth.

Name: Martin Davis
Arrival Date: 17 Aug 1911
Port of Arrival: St Albans, Vermont, United States
Ship Name: Empress Of Ireland
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Birth Date: abt 1876
Birth Country: Norway
Race/Nationality: Scandinavian

Father is listed as K Haugland ? Hard to read but also may say Dale

Edited by - AntonH on 21/07/2011 18:40:34
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  17:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the information on Signe

Name: Signe Johannssen
Arrival Date: 17 Aug 1911
Port of Arrival: St Albans, Vermont, United States
Ship Name: Empress Of Ireland
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Birth Date: abt 1890
Birth Country: Norway
Race/Nationality: Scandinavian

Father is listed as K????? Johannssen Drammen

Edited by - AntonH on 21/07/2011 18:41:29
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  18:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hfere is a Martin Davis living in 1900 in Virgina, St Louis County, Minnesota as a single boarder. Could this Martin Davis immigrated to US in 1893 and then gone back to Norway, got Signe in 1911, returned to the US and again lived in Virgina, MN and changed his name to Davidson.

Name: Martin Davis
[Martin Davie]
Home in 1900: Virginia, Saint Louis, Minnesota
[St. Louis, Minnesota]
Birth Date: Apr 1874
Birthplace: Norway
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1893
Relationship to head-of-house: Boarder
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Marital Status: Single

Edited by - AntonH on 21/07/2011 18:51:03
Go to Top of Page

Mikklesen
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  21:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you have done a very, very good job on finding the St Albans entries. The last time I had to look for someone coming through there I had to look page by page through all the images which were poorly sorted to say the least. If you had to still do that, a "tip of the hat" to you. We're on the right track here. When I saw the "Canadian Pacific" line as Signe's means of transport, I too went looking in Canada and the list of passengers leaving Liverpool & Southampton for the USA. I found them loosely indexed but you have the "meat" of the story. Thanks again. Of course, all the "Empress" ships are Canadian Pacific ships.

Of the appearance on the 1900 census of Martin Davis, the birthdate of April 1874 throws me. The Martin we want was born 14 July 1877 on the farm Ytterli in Korgen, Hemnes, Nordland, Norway. His full name is Martin Norgren Davidsen. He is the child of David Anders Davidsen and Emma Kristina Larsdatter. Tor (tuilui) has put the family on the web under Geni.com and you can see more about them there. Best Hilsen

Mike Hansen
Go to Top of Page

Mikklesen
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  22:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+/- 2 years. He appears on the Oskarsborg Gard roles as a single Tømmermand born and from Hemnes. Oskarsborg and Frydenlund are on either side of the city of Narvik in Ankenes Herad. The road "E6" runs through Narvik which is quite north of Umbugten.

Mike Hansen
Go to Top of Page

Mikklesen
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  22:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1910 Norway Census indicates the same, only one Martin in all of Norway born anywhere near 1877. . Records reveal his birthdate is correct. He is still a Tømmermand sailor working/staying on the M/K "Fram", a fishing boat with the captain/Owner, Theodor Groven. His "habitual residence" is listed as Narvik and he is married. He is listed twice on this census. A search under "M. Davidsen" finds him listed with his wife and children at their residence in Narvik, his normal place of abode when he's not at sea or working on the boats.

Mike Hansen
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  00:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The emigration record tells that Signe Johannesen was born in Lier/Drammen 1890.
I found a possible candidate born in Aassiden/Åssiden, a former subparish in Lier, now a suburb in Drammen.

Signe Johannesen born on Myhre in Åssiden, Lier Jan 19. 1890.
Parents; Hans Christian Johannesen, sawmillworker, and Martine Olsdatter, see lower half #3

She was a unmarried servant maid in Drammen at widow Henriette Brodersen´s recidence in 1910

Question; Is she same person as Signe Johannesen Skogly?

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 22/07/2011 00:13:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article