All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Searching for Petter Hendriksen Rosing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bridgettepatterson
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  19:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for the birthplace and parents of Petter Hendriksen (Rosing) (born 1804). I know he was from the Rossinggaarden farm also known as Nyhagen.

Petter married Anne Engebretsdatter (Ingebretsdatter) (born 1809) who was from the Smedaas farm in Vingelen. Anne's parents are Ingebret Jacobsen and Berit Jonsdatter.

I am hoping to also find the marriage place and date of Petter and Annie. As far as I can tell, their first child was born in 1833. All of their children were christened in Tolga, Hedmark. Their children's names are:
Ane Dorthea Petersdtr Rosing(1833-1839)
Hendrik Petersen Rosing (1835)
Beret Pettersdtr (1838)
Ingebret Peter Trones (1841-1929) (My great great grandfather)
Ole Pettersen Rosing (1843)
Anne Dorthea Pettersdtr (1846)
Thore Pettersen (1849)
Petter Pettersen Rosing (1853-1855)

So I am looking in the direction that Petter Hendriksen Rosing's parents names are Hendrik (Pettersen?) and Dorthea (?)

Anyone have any info or ideas?

Thanks so much!

Bridgette

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  19:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
marriage record #3, 1833:
Peter Henriksen Rosing (37) & Anne Halvorsdr Rĝe (21)
Marriage: 09 APR 1833, Tolga, Hedmark

Would this be the same family? wife is listed as Halvorsdr , while you have her as Engebretsdatter... Also; Peters birthyear looks to be ab. 1796...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 04/07/2010 19:57:27
Go to Top of Page

bridgettepatterson
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  20:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great lead...I am not sure but I will investigate.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  20:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found something interesting here.
This would be them in census 1801.

I think Petter Hendriksen Rosing is the one listed as "Peter Anton (6)" in the 1801 census.
His parents are Hendrich Rikard Jonsen Rossing (23 AUG 1755 - 07 JUL 1835) & Anna Dortea Olsdatter Berg (1756 - 1841)

Record #11
Peter Anthon Hagerup Rosing
Christening: 11 FEB 1795, Tolga, Hedmark
Parents: Hendrich Rosing & Anne Dorthea

Another link.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 04/07/2010 20:44:42
Go to Top of Page

bridgettepatterson
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  04:07:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks SO MUCH! This is wonderful information. The only evidence that I have of Peter's birth year was from here: http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=2&filnamn=f60436&gardpostnr=164&personpostnr=914&merk=914#ovre
How likely is it that the age on this census is incorrect? Were they just guessing their ages? Or perhaps they were not home at the time of the census and someone was merely guessing tier ages?
It looks to me that your information MUST be correct.

Again, THANK YOU!
Go to Top of Page

bridgettepatterson
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  05:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter,
Thanks for helping me find so much info on Peter Anton Hagerup Rosing.
I am SURE that the marriage record you found of Peter Henriksen Rosing and Anne Halvorsdr Roe must be correct, but do you have any idea why Anne would have been called Holversdatter on her marriage record, but always Ingebretsdatter on her children's baptimal records? I am struggling with the idea of combining this record until I can make some sense of it.
You can email me directly: bridgettepatterson@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  12:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, it doesn't really make sense.
The only thing I can come up with, is that the marriage record are wrong, and that it should have said "Anne Ingebretsdatter Rĝe, 21" instead of "Anne Halvorsdatter Rĝe, 21"

Here is the christening record of Anne Ingebretsdatter, Rĝe:

Anne Ingebretsdatter
Chr 25 MAR 1810, Tolga, Hedmark
Parents: Ingebret Jacobsen & Berit Jonsdatter, Rĝe
Godparents: Marit Torgersdatter Rĝe, Sara Ingebretsdatter Vingelen, Marit Jonsdatter Vingelen, Jon Jonsen Rĝe, Knud Estensen Rĝe, Jakob Estensen Rĝe

Fantastic record with the names typed in big letters at the right...

There is no Anne Halvorsdatter born around 1810 as far as I can see, which makes me believe her last name in the marriage record are wrong. The only one I could find is Anne Halvorsdtr. Vingelen, born 1790...

Here is Peter's confirmation record from 30 Sep 1810 in Ous church, Tolga, Hedmark
#1, Peter Anthonj Hagerup Rosing, 15 aar

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  12:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition to the priest's churchbook, his assistant also made a book (called "klokkerbok"), in case a fire ruined the original book.
Here is the parish clerk record from the wedding. It also read Anne Halvorsdatter Rĝe....

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 12/07/2010 12:35:14
Go to Top of Page

bridgettepatterson
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  18:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am amazed that you can decipher those names!...but I am so SO very grateful that you have done this for me. It is very helpful to me with my untrained eyes.

On Peter's confirmation record...does "15 aar" mean his age was 15? I don't know anything about the church in Tolga. What is a "confirmation" exactly and what is the reason for teenage boys to receive it? Or was it for girls, too? I am sure I would benefit from doing a little research on the religious practices of the time and area.

I have decided to combine the record of Anne Ingebretsdatter and Anne Halvorsdatter, and I am going to assume that the klokkerbok is a literal copy of the preists churchbook, and that the error was not noticed by the transcriber. I feel in my heart this is right.

Thanks for taking the time to help me. (I don't know how to thank you enough!)
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  18:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, he was 15 y.o.
A confirmation is a church seremony, where you as an adult confirm your christian (Lutheran) belief, given to you at the christening/baptism.

It's been mandatory for all, boys and girls, at the age of 14-16 since 1736. Although not mandatory anymore, it is still used in Norway as a ceremony for pupils in 9th grade (age 14-15). You can chose between a christian confirmation and a "civil" one, which is not held in the church. About 2/3 choose the christian church.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 12/07/2010 18:55:05
Go to Top of Page

bridgettepatterson
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  19:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay...thank you! Beautiful picture. I think I have a photograph of my father's confirmation, in a church in Minnesota. He is a teenager and dressed in white robes. Now it is making sense to me. Again, thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article