All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Passenger list
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carol kargel
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  18:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for my great grandfather,Christopher Andreas Kristoffersen, born oct. 15 1847 census 1891 for 1126 Hetland, . Mother Elen Sofie, her children Emilie b. 1877, Ommund b. 1879,, Elise Kristine b. 1883 and Kristoffer Andreas b. 1884. It also says that Elen Sofie's husband went to Amerika, it says that it is unknown if he ever got back to Norway, and that the fa...mily never got any support from him. checked the names in the parish reg. /baptism. Emilie is born Sept. 9 1877, Ommund b. Feb. 4 1879, Elise Kristine seems to be Elen Kristine b. March 1880, and Kristoffer A. I haven't found info of him, yet. But the books tells that g.grpa worked as a brewer and also shoemaker. I am trying to find out when he came to the states and where he settled. This is the info that we have found so far.

Carol Kargel

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  20:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am looking for my great grandfather,Christopher Andreas Kristoffersen, born oct. 15 1847 census 1891 for 1126 Hetland, . Mother Elen Sofie, her children Emilie b. 1877, Ommund b. 1879,, Elise Kristine b. 1883 and Kristoffer Andreas b. 1884.
- if you are looking for Christopher Andreas Kristoffersen, born Oct 15 1847, he must be the one born out of wedlock by Elen Malene Olsdatter, Helvig Ogna in Egersund, see #109 were the father is given as Christopher Andreas Jonassen from Lindtjørn in Ogna, but living in Stavanger.

"Mother Elen Sofie" Omundsdatter is the mother of Kristoffer Andreas Kristoffersen, born Sept 18 1884, see #177, his father was Kristoffer Kristoffersen (born 1847).
In the 1891 census for Hetland the note for the mother Elen Ommondsdtr. says her husband (Kristoffer Kristoffersen b. 1847) had left for Amerika and probably would not return. She did not get any financial support from him.

The baptismal record for Elise Kristine in the 1891 census is #61, she was baptized Elise Christine Salamine Theoline, father worker Christoffer Christoffersen and mother Elen Sophie Ommundsdatter, they were living in Bispeladegaard.

When Emilie was baptized the father Kristoffer Kristoffersen was master brewer, see #218.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/07/2010 22:30:57
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  22:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Master brewer Christoffer Andreas Christoffersen, Helvig and Elen Sophia Ommundsdatter were married Dec 24 1876, see #61.
Christoffer was 28 years old, born in Egersund and his father was Christoffer Andreas Jonassen. Elen was 23 years old, born in Lunde and her father was Omund Salvesen, Haukland.

Elen Sofie was born March 26 1853, see #16, her parents were Ommund Salvesen and Elen Sofie Torsdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/07/2010 22:38:54
Go to Top of Page

carol kargel
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  02:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I have not been able to find what ship he came to the states on, and what year he came/

Carol Kargel
Go to Top of Page

carol kargel
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  02:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is the person I am looking for, where can I find out what ship he came over on? I appreciate the info you have provided, I am trying to find out where he lived in the states. Is there anymore information on the Kristoffer Andres Kristoffersen born on Sept 18, 1884. My father would have been a nephew of his, he was born to Ommund Kristoffersen on Dec 31, 2004, his name was oskar Kristoffersen he came to the states in 1924.
Thank you for the information.

Carol Kargel
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  03:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Rogaland Norway you could expect an emigrant to have sailed from Stavanger. They had most emigration records burn in a terrible fire and you might never find any listing of a ship name for departure in Norwegian records.
So - turn your attention to possible port of ARRIVAL in America. Where were they headed? what port of arrival would be closest or easiest in terms of travel to get to their intended destination? So focus on the most likely port(s) of arrival in US and/or Canada.

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  14:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristoffer Anders Kristoffersen born on Sept 18, 1884 and Ommund Kristoffersen born Febr 4 1879 were brothers, see Ommunds bapt record #32.

quote:
My father would have been a nephew of his, he was born to Ommund Kristoffersen on Dec 31, 2004, his name was oskar Kristoffersen he came to the states in 1924.
- I assume Oskar was born 1904, not 2004, since he mowed to the States 1924. (as a nephew to Kristoffer born 1884 a birth of 2004 is not very likely either).

Theodora Ellingsdatter was born July 25 1879, see #47 her parents were Elling Iversen and Thorbjør Svendsdatter, Berge.
Have not found Oskars bapt record, but his older brother Emil Edon was born Sept 5 1900, see #98. Parents shoemaker Ommund Kristoffersen and Theodora, née Ellingsen. They were living in Hornklovsgade in 1900.

Elling Iversen was born Sept 18 1835, see #36. His parents were Iver Pedersen and Berthe Svendsdatter, Høgelie.

Torbjør Svendsdatter was born Sept 24 1842, see #106. Her parents were Svend Torkelsen and Berthe Olsdatter, Linnæs.

Elling Iversen and Torbjør Svendsdatter were married May 17 1865, see #3.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 25/07/2010 22:29:58
Go to Top of Page

carol kargel
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  19:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that , it was 1904 and he died in late 2003., Please forgive me., there wer 16 children in my fathers family- and I do have birthdates for all. I would imagine that most of the people sailing to the US would go to New york- However I guess some went to Boston. I do appreciate all the info you have given me. Thank you.

Carol Kargel
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  22:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found Oskars bapt record, he was baptized Oskar Torgeir Febr 19 1905, see #21 his father was then a shoemaker.

Einar
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article