All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Harald Marcus Wang... help finding details
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cheryl Thompson
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  11:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harald Marcus Wang (b. Dec 27, 1837, in New York, NY). He returns to Norway in 1838, with his parents, Christian Colbj. Wang and Engelke (Throndsen). If Harald was born in New York in 1837, his parents must have emigrated to the US before this time, but I cannot find any record of this. The Wang family was quite well-to-do so i can't imagine they were in steerage. Can anyone help point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks

Cheryl

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  13:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The parents married in Oslo Domkirke Dec. 27. 1830, see #3

Christian Colbjørnsen Wang was from Vågå and Engelke Trondsen from Drøbak

Oslo 1865:
Harald Wang born in New York, studying theology, his parents and a brother Johannes age 23 born in Oslo, medical studient, see person nr 18859 here
The father christian was a liquor inspector

The emigration record must exist in the Oslo records.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 13/08/2010 14:34:03
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  14:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Christian Colbjørnsen Wang and Engelke Trondsen were married Dec 27 1830, see #3 they must have emigrated sometime between 1830 and 1837.

Their daughter Johanne Christiane (Johanne Christiane el. Kristine Borchgrevink when married) was born Jan 23 1836, see #36.

After their return the had another son, Johannes Immanuel Schreüder, born April 9 1843, see #187

Harald Marius was confirmated May 22 1853, see #15 his birth is recorded as Dec 27 1837 in New York, but he was baptized Sept 9 1838.
The baptismal record for Harald Marius is #248.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 18/08/2010 14:22:21
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  16:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange, Johannes Immanuel Schreüder is Julius Emanuel Schrøder Wang when he is confirmated in 1858, see #14.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl Thompson
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  07:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. This information is helpful and I'll start searching a bit further. I have spoken with the University of Oslo (Christiania) for records of Harald Marius Wang in Medicine, which they were able to provide. However, even though Johannes was also listed in the 1865 census as a medical student, they did not have a record for him. I'll try again with the new information.
As for Christian Colbjørnsen Wang and Engelke Trondsen, I'll go through the emigration lists. Would there be more information from sources in New York?
Many thanks again for your help.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  15:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have spoken with the University of Oslo (Christiania) for records of Harald Marius Wang in Medicine, which they were able to provide.
- acording to the 1865 census Harald was "Studiosus Theologia" - Theology student, Johannes was "Stud. med." - Medicine student.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl Thompson
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  18:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this is correct. We know from family history and confirmed with the University of Oslo (Christiania) as well as with the NAHA that Harald first studied medicine and later theology. He also apparently wrote a book, Amerikabrevit, about his work in America, that we no longer have in the family (lost in a flood). We understand there is a copy at the National Library of Norway, that may only be accessed there at the moment. As for Johannes though, we just can't seem to find him after the 1865 census and the UiO didn't have him listed in medicine. I'll try the alternate names that you've provided. Thank you so much for checking this for me as I would not have guessed that his name would be changed at confirmation.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl Thompson
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  22:00:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is even a larger mystery to me about Harald's brother (or sister?), Johannes.
In various places, I see that the well know missionary to Madagascar, Johanne (Wang) Borchgrevink, was the daughter of Christian Colbj. Wang and Engelke Throndsen. ???
http://www.snl.no/.nbl_biografi/Johanne_Borchgrevink/utdypning

And of course, he is listed here as son:
http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=2&filnamn=f60301&gardpostnr=667&personpostnr=18859#nedre

Also, the information you have provided is also curious.

Many thanks if you can help

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Oyvlars

Norway
52 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  13:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harald Had a sister

Johanne b. 23-01-1836 401

and a brother

Johannes b. 09-04-1843 403

Edited by - Oyvlars on 18/08/2010 14:14:05
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  14:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
- could you please indicate what is curious.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  15:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.

A summary of your information above;
Johanne Christiane Borchgrevink b. 1836 was Johannes and Harald Wangs sister and grew up in a middle class home in Oslo.

In the 1860s she was a school manager in Sarpsborg and Hamar.
She went to Africa (Madagaskar) 1870 where she married doctor and priest Christian Døderlein Borchgrevink b. Sept. 15. 1841.
They opened an asylum for girls in Antananarivo, Madagaskar 1872, the motto was;
Woman creates homes ans homes creates Nations.

During a visit to the US 1883-1884 she inspired the emergence of a woman´s movement among Norwegian immigrants.
Johanne.
She was a very gifted woman, a strong leader with a strong will, with care and interst to other people.

She returned to Norway 1912 when the asylum in Madagaskar was closed.

Christian died April 4. 1819 and Johanne died in Oslo Mai 31. 1924.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 19/08/2010 11:01:06
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl Thompson
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  18:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic!! This solves so much for me. I had not found Johanne (Wang) Borchgrevink's listing in the census data associated with our Wang family. I'm sure it is because I not as familiar with where and how to look (although I've spent hours doing so!). I can't thank you all enough! This will put so many pieces together.

Also, I called once again to the UiO Alumni with the new information about about Johannes (name change) and this is the information they were able to provide:

Vang, Johannes Immanuel Schreuter, Born 09.04.1843 in Christiania

Parents:

Colbjørnsen Vang, Christian, Kjøbmand (Merchant)

f Larsen, Engel (Wife)

Matriculated 2 September 1861, and had his Examen philosophicum approved in December 1864. Students normally attended the Examen philosophicum for 1-2 years learning Latin, Philosophy, Mathematics, Astronomy, Greek, and History. He probably attended Medicine after this but there is no mention of this.

Thanks once again to all of you for your help.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl Thompson
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  19:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

quote:
- could you please indicate what is curious.

The curious part was the name change at confirmation. This was another question for me in a number of curious things with Johannes... no record of him in medicine (although their records may not be complete), where did Johanne fit in (if at all - or did I or someone else mix up on gender or family? ;-)), and then the name change, I was seriously wondering how to sort through this.
Now of course, I see what a labyrinth genealogy research can be.
Many thanks to you for helping me sort this.

A correction on my part... re: Harald Wang's book. He did indeed write a book, that we no longer have in our family. Recently, I found 'the' book Amerikabrevet, at the National Library of Norway, but once I contacted F. Omdahl who edited it last year, it appears it is the work of another Harald Wang who emigrated to America around the same time.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  10:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.

I added some extra information about Johanne Borchgrevink in my posting above.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article