All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Bertel Wilhelm Benson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

debi salisbury
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  01:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bertel Benson was born abt 1853 and his immigration date is questionable. Two census reports say 1855 and two reports say 1865. Both of his parents were born in Norway. My mother remembers hearing stories about him changing his name when he came to America, which might be why I can't find any immigration information on him or info from Norway! She remembers him changing it to make it easier for people in America but she’s not sure if it was his first or last name. Is there any Norwegian name that comes close to Benson that I should look for? I’ve been Bentson and Bentzen and I haven’t found anything. I need help! I’ve reached a complete dead end for him. Thank you!

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  06:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you get his death certificate? Also have you checked for church records? You may be able to get info on his parents from any of those records.

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  07:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not think his first name was changed because it sounds right, but the last name could have been changed from Bengtsen, Bengtson,Bentson,Bentzon,Benzen, Bendigsen, Bendiksen, Bendtsen, Benonisøn, Berntsen. This name are from the 1865 cencus in Norway.
In the cencus 1865 search on Bertil, born 1853 +/- 10 years, last name starts with Be there are only one person . He lived in Stordø, in Hordaland county, on the farm Indgjerdet in Valestrand parish - name Bertil Bernts. (Berntsen/Berntsøn). He was 15 years old in 1865.
But since there could bee more combinatons of the names there could bee someone else, so I think you should try the Digital Archives in norway.
This link is to Digital Archives in norway with Tips on Using The Digitalarkivet in Norway http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/DigitalArchives.html
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  07:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are no cencus between 1801 and 1865 in Norway.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  14:09:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where in US did he live?
Possible name could be Bertil Berntsen, one by this name emigrated to Tacoma.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  14:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Early US censuses show him in Fillmore Co. Minnesota. He is usually listed as Bertel W. Benson or B.W. Benson -- he also named his first son William.
By 1880 the family is in Barnes County of the Dakota territory.
1900 in Watcom Co. Washington
1910 in Spokane Washington.

My own reading of some these US and Minn. handwritten census pages would estimate his birth as 1843 in Norway and emigrating in 1865.
Go to Top of Page

debi salisbury
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  17:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Early US censuses show him in Fillmore Co. Minnesota. He is usually listed as Bertel W. Benson or B.W. Benson -- he also named his first son William.
By 1880 the family is in Barnes County of the Dakota territory.
1900 in Watcom Co. Washington
1910 in Spokane Washington.

My own reading of some these US and Minn. handwritten census pages would estimate his birth as 1843 in Norway and emigrating in 1865.

Yes, that is him! He had 3 children, one of which is my great grandmother. I don't have any death records on him. I know my grandmother grew up on Orcas Isle off Seattle, Washington so I'm sure he must have passed away in that area. The census records are very inconsistent. They show two different birth dates and two different immigration dates. I can't find any immigration information on him or his parents.

I have wonderful pictures of him! I can't wait to find out more about him. Thank you for your help!
Go to Top of Page

debi salisbury
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  17:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geir Dybvig

I do not think his first name was changed because it sounds right, but the last name could have been changed from Bengtsen, Bengtson,Bentson,Bentzon,Benzen, Bendigsen, Bendiksen, Bendtsen, Benonisøn, Berntsen. This name are from the 1865 cencus in Norway.
In the cencus 1865 search on Bertil, born 1853 +/- 10 years, last name starts with Be there are only one person . He lived in Stordø, in Hordaland county, on the farm Indgjerdet in Valestrand parish - name Bertil Bernts. (Berntsen/Berntsøn). He was 15 years old in 1865.
But since there could bee more combinatons of the names there could bee someone else, so I think you should try the Digital Archives in norway.
This link is to Digital Archives in norway with Tips on Using The Digitalarkivet in Norway http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/DigitalArchives.html

Wow! Thank you for this information! The name above is close and birthdate is within 3 years of earliest US census. He would have had to immigrate that year as well. I will dig into the Rootsweb info today. Thank you for your help!
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  18:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you know of the woman he married? US censuses show her as Mary... do you know the names of her parents? When born? where?

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  18:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Responding to your earlier question regarding what other Norwegian names might be anglicized to Benson-- Bjørnsen is one.

Jackie M
Go to Top of Page

debi salisbury
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  18:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

What do you know of the woman he married? US censuses show her as Mary... do you know the names of her parents? When born? where?

Her name is Mary Gould- born abt 1852 in Indiana. I don't have a death date for her. Her parents are Zebina Abbot Gould - born Aug 1803 in Charllton City, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States. He died 19 Mar 1872 in Michigan City, Clinton, Indiana, United States. Her mother is Mary Rees born Feb 1826 in Ashtabula, Ashtabula, Ohio, United States. She died Jan 1916.
in Spokane, Washington, United States.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  19:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Their son Fred Benson died 1927 in Everett, Washington.
The son Wilhelm Benson (born 1875) died 1958 in King Co., Washington.

Perhaps obituaries for them might give more information.

Mary Gould with her parents and siblings appear in LaPorte Co. Indiana in the 1870 census. Her marriage to Benson would happen not long after that.

Edited by - Hopkins on 15/09/2010 19:11:21
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  19:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he emigrated from Norway in 1865 he would not bee in the 1865 cencus, because this was made of those who lived here between desember 31. 1865 and january 1. 1866.
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  20:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the Bensons living next to him in 1880 are his relatives? Valley City 1880
Maybe Torcle and Carrie (Torkild and Kari) Benson are his parents?
Anyway, if Bertil Wilhelm emigrated together with his father, Benson is probably his father's patronymic surname. In Norwegian sources Bertil would probably have a patronymic surname with reference to his father's given name.

Bertel may be an Americanized name, if his Norwegian name was something like Bjørgulf.
One candidate to check up: Børre Torkildsen

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  00:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The same Torkild and Kari Benson are living in Fillmore Co. Minnesota in 1870 -- same location as B.W. Benson's family.

That's a little too much similarity to be a mere coincidence.

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  00:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaving Gjerpen parish, 17 April 1857, destination America:

Torkel Børresen Ekornrød, 54
Karen Kirstine Aslaksdatter, 42
Andreas 17
Børre 14 (b. 02/7-43)
Marthe Marie 9 (b. 17/8-47)
Anders Christian 6 (b. 26/3-51)
Karen Thorine 3 (b. 19/9-54)

The christening record of Børre does not reveal a middle name William...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 16/09/2010 00:55:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article