All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Getlevog Family Norway-Ireland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Foley
Ireland-Norway special member

Ireland
109 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  12:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Limerick based Getlevog family currently researching their family history a Henry Getlevog, born 1850 ish. He married in Limerick in 1884. There are no baptismal records in Ireland for him they believe he was born in Norway and Getlevog and some other Norwegians were taken in by families in Windmill Street in the docks area of Limerick. The family are guessing the Hannah Parr ship? It would seem Gitlevag and Gitlevaag are possible variations to the name of this ancestor who was about 18 at the time of the Hannah Parr tie-up in Limerick. He married in 1884 and on his marriage certificate he states he was a sailor and his father, also Henry Getlevog, was a sea captain. Henry Getlevog died when he was 43. His death was registered in Runcorn, Cheshire and was only 9 years married at the time of his death.The family of Henry would appreciate any information on the Norwegian origins of this family. I notice the name Getlevog appears in U.K. census around the Liverpool area. Thank you in advance

John

Edited by - John Foley on 10/04/2011 12:33:31

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  18:39:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant find any Henry Getlevog John, perhaps if he was born in Norway he changed firstname in Limerick.
The farm he or his father came from was most likely Gitlevaag in Spangereid in Sør Audnedal municipality, todays Lindesnes.

The records for Sør Audnedal here

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 10/04/2011 19:01:30
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  21:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the bygdebok (farm history book) for Gitlevåg in Spangereid, "Spangereid vest for Lenesfjorden". But I have found no trace of Henry or other sailors born ca 1850.

I see there are some using Gitlevåg surname in Kristiansund, Johan Fredrik Olaus Gitlevog born ca 1813, Johanna Elisabeth born ca 1817, and Elen Birgitte born ca 1786. I have not found where they have their surname from.

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  00:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a link from Gitlevåg, Spangereid to Kristiansund. See this Norwegian message board DIS-forum

I guess the father of Henry Gitlevog, born ca 1850, is D. Hendrik Samuel Johnsen Gitlevåg, f. 9 jan 1822 i Kristiansund, Møre og Romsdal.
Church books for Kristiansund about 1850 are distroyed by fire, so the search is difficult.

Here is Henry Gitlevog (19) in Kristiansund 1865 census
His mother (widow) and sisters in 1875 census

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge

Edited by - hasto on 11/04/2011 00:53:02
Go to Top of Page

John Foley
Ireland-Norway special member

Ireland
109 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  00:40:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your information is much appreciated and thank you, I am sure it will start another Norwegian Irish adventure for the family. Windmill Street is part of the docks area and 1860s Limerick Street directory shows it populated by the usual mix of professions and trades associated with a busy port, translators, commission agents etc. The saga is enriched by each story, Thank you once again.

John

Edited by - John Foley on 15/04/2011 00:41:03
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  13:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Henry's confirmation in the church books of 1863
It states that he was born in Kristiansund Feb 25 1847, by parents Hendrik Samuel Gitlevog and Anna Elisabeth Johnsdatter.

Anna Elisabeth Jonsdatter Bechen was born in Trondheim June 29 1823, by parents Jon Andreas Bechen and Martha Marie Bechen.
Her parents married Sept 6 1821

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge

Edited by - hasto on 26/04/2011 13:54:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article