All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Rogne vs Rognehaug
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mary McNeeley
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  21:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new at researching my Norwegian ancestry. Both of my maternal grandparents emigrated to the US and settled in Minnesota. I have found my grandmother, Tena Rogne, listed on the Ellis Island website as Torstine Rognehaug. Her siblings who emigrated also used the surname Rogne. Help! How do I research her family? I know she lived in Bergen and came to the states in 1917. I would love to know about her parents, etc. Thanks!

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  22:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Digitalarkivet website has emigration registers for various Norwegian ports, including Bergen.
Torstine Eriksdatter (farm name Rognehaug) actually left Bergen on or about 9 Oct 1916 and she was from Sogndal, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway (not Bergen).
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=21&filnamn=EMIBERG&gardpostnr=85915&sokefelt=skjul

First, study the basics -
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/articles.html

Then you might be interested in starting to learn to use the Digitalarkivet website -
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/DigitalArchives.html

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  22:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1900 Norwegian census she and her family did not live on a farm called Rognehaug, but her father is using that as a 'surname' so that indicates that he probably has history with such a location.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=35&filnamn=f01420&gardpostnr=532&sokefelt=skjul

Online study material to learn about Norwegian naming practices and patterns.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na12.html
http://www.nndata.no/home/jborgos/names.htm
http://www.norwayheritage.com/norwegian-names.htm
http://www.nndata.no/home/jborgos/farms.htm
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  08:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Torstine Eriksdatter, Rognehaug left Bergen Oct 9 1916, see #85915. She was going to an uncle.

Tostine was born at Ølmeim June 6 and baptized at Norum in Sogndal July 22 1894, see #6, her parents were Erik Larsen and Kerstine Olsdatter.
Torstine Eriksdatter Rognehaug was confirmated June 6 1909, see #4. The family were then living on Fardal.

Torstines parents were married May 31 1894, see #4.
Her father Erik Larsen was born at Brusegård 1857 and his father was Lars Eriksen Rognehaug. Her mother Kristine Olsdatter was born at Øhre 1867 and her father was Ole Nilsen, Øhre.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 22/04/2011 21:59:47
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  09:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Torstines father Erik Larsen, his parents and siblings in 1865.

I believe Tostines father had been married earlier with Tostine Knudsdatter. They had twins, Lars and Andreas in 1883 and Synneve in 1885.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Mary McNeeley
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  14:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for this information and a place to start!
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  21:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erik Larsens first wife Tostine Knudsdatter died Sept 16 1890, see #10.

Erik Larsen was born Sept 16 1857, see #82 (number hidden). Parents Lars Eriksen and Sigrid Johnsdatter, Brusegaard.

Lars Eriksen was born out of wedlock Febr 24 1823, see #39. His mother was Sigri Hansdatter, Ylvigsager and the father was Erik Pedersen, Hjelmesæter.

Sigrid Johnsdatter born Febr 19 1827, see #28. Her parents were John Sjursen, Watlestad and Guri Ellingsdatter.

John Sjursen, Watlestad (29 years old) and Guri Ellingsdatter, Opheim (25 years old) were married May 3 1827, see #6.

Jon Siursen (John Sjursen), his parents and siblings in 1801.

Guri Ellingsdatter was baptized Sept 4 1802, see 3rd record on left page. Her parents were Elling Knudsen, Opheim and Syneve Erichsdatter.

Guris parents and siblings in 1801.

Jon Siursen (John Sjursen) was baptized Oct 14 1798, see 1st record on right page. His parents were Siur Olsen Watlestad and Sigri Aslachsdatter.

Siur Olsen and Sigri Aslachsdatter were married March 27 1787, see 1st couple on right page.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 23/04/2011 08:38:11
Go to Top of Page

Mary McNeeley
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  15:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!!!!! You are amazing! I have been trying to research on the website but am struggling with the handwriting. This is more than I ever imagined I would know about my Norwegian ancestry. My grandparents did not talk a lot about their backgrounds to us, but then as young grandchildren we weren't as interested in knowing our heritage. Whatever my grandparents talked about their backgrounds or life in Norway to any of their eight children that was passed on to us is long forgotten or has been skewed over the years. I cannot thank you enough!
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  17:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lars Eriksens mother Sigri Hansdatter, Ylvigsager (Ulvigsager), her parents and siblings in 1801.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  23:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some photos for you.

Farm Ylvigsager spelled Ylvisåker today in Sogndalsfjorden, a sidefjord to Norways largest fjord, Sognefjorden

Farm Fardahl/Fardal in the 1801 census is also a small village in front of the valley Øvstedalen in Norafjorden, a part of Sogndalsfjorden mentioned above.

Today there are two Fardal farms in Fardal, both with traditional cheep farming

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 23/04/2011 23:42:34
Go to Top of Page

Mary McNeeley
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  02:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the photos. We were in Bergen in 2006 while on a cruise and were awed by its beauty. These pictures just reinforce how we feel. I was humbled to be walking the grounds that my ancestors did!
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  11:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Markers show places where your ancestors have been living, see map. Zoom and canvas to your liking.

Lars Eriksen (born 1823) died June 12 1897, see #11.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 24/04/2011 23:07:00
Go to Top of Page

Mary McNeeley
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  16:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are having computer issues so I am using my husband's work computer which will not allow me to access Digitalarkivet. Who are Guri Ellingsdatter's siblings in the 1801 census? Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  16:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problems with Digitalarkivet.

Einar
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article