All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Marriage Dedrik Maanum to Ranghild Fossebraten
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  23:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's her.

She emigrated in 1904/1905.

1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Ranghild Maanum
Birth: 1884 - Norway
Arrival: 1904
Spouse: Dedrick A Maanum
Residence: city, Pope, Minnesota

1920 United States Federal Census
Name: Rose E Maanum
Birth: abt 1885 - Norway
Arrival: 1905
Spouse: Dedrich E Maanum
Residence: city, Garfield, Montana

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  23:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fossebraaten farm is located in the same township (Nordre Aurdal municipality in Oppland county) as the Maanum farm.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  00:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this could be her. Leaving Oslo on a pre-paid ticket on June 24th, 1904. Destination Minnesota.
Ragnhild Nilsen (19) from N. Aurdal.

#15, Ragnhild, born 12-Aug-1884
Parents: Anders Nilsen & Jørand Julsdr, Fossebraaten farm.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 18/05/2011 00:13:50
Go to Top of Page

rosemarymanley
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  00:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, my gosh! This brings tears to my eyes. My mother Annette was 18 when Ranghild died and loved her mother so much. But family information was never spoken of and my grandmother just seemed to be such an enigma, almost forgotten as I was growing up. You have no idea how thrilled I am. It even completes some of my relationship with my mother Annette who died when I was 23. Do you know how I can find out about her immigration into the US? I have had no luck with Ellis Island records, thought hers might be in some destroyed in a 1907 Ellis Island fire that included Castle Garden records from the 1890's thru 1907.

Rosemary Maanum Cina Manley
Go to Top of Page

rosemarymanley
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  00:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing!! Who and where are you? We have a Maanum family tree back to Leif Erickson but nothing on my grandmother's side. And my mother used to say her mother's name was also Rose Nelson!! I have to sign off now but can't wait to continue learning more about my Norwegian ancestors. Thank you, thank you! Later.

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  01:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andreas Toresen Maanum ( 29) from N. Aurdal emigrated to "Manitovoc" on April 29th 1870.
According to census-1900, he married Andria/Andia about 1872.
I think he is the father of Dedrik, but only census-1905 can tell...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  06:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ragnhild A(ndersdatter), Fossebraaten = Ragnhild Nilsen in 1900.
Her father Anders N(ilsen) born 1843 and her mother Jøren (= Jørand) J(ulsdatter) born 1842.
Her siblings were Nils Andersen born 1876, Ole Andersen born 1881.

Ragnhilds father Anders Nielsen in 1865.
His parents were Niels Andersen 49 years old and Guri Olsdatter 48 years old.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

rosemarymanley
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  16:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

I think this could be her. Leaving Oslo on a pre-paid ticket on June 24th, 1904. Destination Minnesota.
Ragnhild Nilsen (19) from N. Aurdal.

#15, Ragnhild, born 12-Aug-1884
Parents: Anders Nilsen & Jørand Julsdr, Fossebraaten farm.

Jan Peter

Go to Top of Page

rosemarymanley
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  16:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for this wealth of information that was lost to me before now. I feel as if I have connected with my grandmother Ragnhild Fossebraaten now and reconnected with my mother as well by this knowledge. I have been trying to find the ship she sailed on and her date and port of entry into the United States (or Canada if applicable). But I am having a little trouble reading the Norwegian ship records. Did she depart from Oslo or Kristiania and on what ship? And can anyone find when and where that specific voyage arrived in North America? Also, why would her name have changed from Fossebraaten to Nilsen?
I have researched the likely port of entry of Ellis Island, New York City. But Ellis Island had a fire in 1907 that burned immigrant records for both Ellis Island and Castle Garden for the time period Ragnhild would have arrived. So I am seeking that information from her departure end.
At some point I will be posting online some wonderful photographs that I have of my grandparents, parents and aunts and uncles. Some were taken by Didrick Maanum as one of his trades was as professional photographer. He was also a farmer, homesteader, inventor, owner of realty, and home builder.

Go to Top of Page

rosemarymanley
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  17:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I may have made some progress. If correct, my grandmother Ragnhild Fossebraaten/Nilsen sailed from Kristiania on June 24, 1904 on the ship Angelo to Hull, England. Can anyone confirm? If so, then next step is how she went from Hull England to North America. Help, anyone? I still have not found the record of her marriage to Dedrick Maanum.

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  20:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rosemarymanley

I think I may have made some progress. If correct, my grandmother Ragnhild Fossebraaten/Nilsen sailed from Kristiania on June 24, 1904 on the ship Angelo to Hull, England. Can anyone confirm?

Jan Peter gave you this, no need for further confirmation.

Since she was unmarried leaving Norway in June 1904 her marriage record will have to be found between 1904 and 1910 in the US, possibly Minnesota.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 11/06/2011 20:14:10
Go to Top of Page

rosemarymanley
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  23:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still have not found out how my grandmother Ragnhild traveled from her arrival in Hull, England on to the United States. Can anyone help?

Ellis Island shows an arrival of a Ragnhild Nilsen early July 1904, but shows as a male not a female. Could that be her and just be a records error?

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  01:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ragnhild Andersdatter Nilsen (19) from N. Aurdal arrived New York on The Baltic on July 8th, 1904. Destination was uncle Ole Nilson in Minneapolis, MN.
She is indexted as "Raguilef Anders Nilsen (19), (male), from M. Amdal"

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  09:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ragnhild Andersdatter Nilsens father Anders Nielsen was born June 25 1843, see #17.
His Parents Niels Andersen, Leeren and Guri Olsdatter, Ranum were married Oct 23 1842, see #10.

Niels Andersen was born Jan 17 1817, see #9, his parents were Anders Nielsen , Leren and Ragnild Juelsdatter.

Guri Olsdatter was born Jan 3 1818, see #4, her parents were Ole Olsen, Ranum and Ingri Gundersdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 06/07/2011 10:20:39
Go to Top of Page

rosemarymanley
Starting member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  19:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aha!! That was her listed as a male. Thank you for confirming, Jan Peter. One more piece of the puzzle.

I am thrilled to tell you I have found and contacted my mother Annette Maanum Cina's last remaining full sibling (still 2 half brothers living, Armand and Noel Maanum). Her name is Beatrice Maanum Cegon, just turned 85 in June, has a sharp mind and in relatively good health. She is a widow, never had any children, and has no contact with her Maanum family until now. She knows very little about her family as was sent off as a baby sometime after 1930 to be raised by a Mrs. Landmark, who she thinks was a cousin. I am writing to her and have promised to journey from Dallas Texas to Minneapolis Minnesota as soon as I can to see her. She is open to learning more about her family and I intend to take photographs with me and share as much as I can with her. I am also looking forward to beginning to write and post stories of the family. But it will take some time as I still work full time.

I still have lots of unanswered questions, but do not want to ask too much at once.

Regards,

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article