All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 General misc...
 Ingeborg Engen's traveling companion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  06:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Louis and Gina Anderson and their family are next door neighbors to Andrew and Pauline Flotten on Cascade Street in Duluth in 1910.

Gina Anderson's age in 1910 is given as 42, in 1920 as 51. She and Louis have been married 15 years ( in1910) and there is a small numeral 1 by his M for married and Gina has a small numeral 2 by her M for married. Gina has had 7 children and 7 are living. Since they have been married for 15 years then the two oldest children in the family Mabel age 20 b. Minnesota and Oscar age 18 b. Minnesota are children of a different marriage--most likely Gina's.

The children are:
Mabel Anderson age 20 born Minnesota
Oscar Anderson age 18 b. Minnesota
Alice Anderson age 14 b. Minnesota
Lillian Anderson age 11 b. Minnesota
Arthur Anderson age 9 b. Minnesota
Gladys Anderson age 5 b. Minnesota
Pearl Anderson age 5/12 b. Minnesota
Approximately Gina appears to be the age of the sister Guri b. about 1868 in the 1875 Norwegian census listing.

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 09/08/2011 06:54:08
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  06:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Here are some more folks whose mother's maiden name is "Slettehaug" in Minnesota Death index online at www.mnhs.org:

ABRAHANSON, LILLIAN A.
Date of Birth: 11 Sep 1898
Place of Birth: MINNESOTA
Mother Maiden Name: SLETTEHAUG
certid# 1973-MN-020017
Date of Death: 04 Aug 1973
County of Death: CARLTON

FLOTTEN, INGEBRIGHT
Date of Birth: 26 Jul 1896
certid# 1978-MN-027734
Date of Death: 26 Oct 1978
County of Death: ST. LOUIS

JOHNSON, GLADYS
Date of Birth: 04 Aug 1905
certid# 1989-MN-000907
Date of Death: 16 Jan 1989
County of Death: HENNEPIN

LARSON, GILBERT OSCAR
Date of Birth: 06 Apr 1898
Place of Birth: OUT OF STATE
certid# 1987-MN-027850
Date of Death: 13 Oct 1987
County of Death: WASHINGTON

MATTSON, MATT J
Date of Birth: 28 Dec 1892
Place of Birth: OUT OF STATE
Mother Maiden Name: SLETTEHAUGH
certid# 1967-MN-033028
Date of Death: 30 Dec 1967
County of Death: ANOKA

Jackie M.

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  08:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Olsen, Slettahaug and Ingri Paulsdatter, Bakken had 10 children:
Anne (4 Apr 1862) died in Alberta - #16
Ole (7 Jul 1864) died in Lesja 1864
Mari (16 Aug 1865) died in America - #45
Guri (6 Apr 1868) died in America - #29
Pauline (21 Jan 1871) died in America
Ole (27 Oct 1873) died in Lesja - #56
Jørgen (8 Mar 1876) died in America - #25
Olianna (1 Mar 1879) died in America - #30
Marie (13 Dec 1881) died in America - #13
Gustav (31 Mar 1886) died in Alberta - #24

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 09/08/2011 08:40:51
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  08:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Olsen, Slettahaug was born July 16 1832, see #75, his parents were Ole Olsen and Anne Fridricksdatter.
Ole had 5 siblings.

Ole Olsen, Slettahaugs father, Ole Olsen, Mosenden, his parents and siblings in 1801.

Ole Olsen, Slettahaugs mother, Anne Fridricksdatter, her parents and siblings in 1801.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 09/08/2011 08:52:59
Go to Top of Page

Judy Jetson
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  15:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone! (or afternoon/evening depending on where you are!),

This information is so very cool! I did not mention when first writing that my husband and I inherited 4 wooden trunks altogether, three with names on them. Ingeborg Engen I now understand was a friend. "A. Flotten" I knew was Marie Flotten's father. The piece I did not understand was -- who is Pauline Haugen? Now seeing how names change so easily, Pauline must have been Marie Slettohaugen's sister, and Marie was the woman who originally traveled with Ingeborg. Does that sound right?

I am not a good detective, so I truly appreciate the work you all are doing for me. It brings tears to my eyes seeing all the help you give, and joy finding such amazing things out. Looking up information has never been a strong trait of mine, although long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away I once did a good high school report about the legal system, which tells you how bad I am since I still talk about a high school project 36 years later!

If you don't mind a few more questions. . . how could Marie and Pauline interchange last names so much? Was Pauline Haugen the Pauline Slettohaugen (or multiple variations of that spelling) spoken of above? I read many of the links Hopkins provided (thank you!), but it still seems like the names are intertwined once the women hit the American shores. In times past I remember hearing Sletto, Sletta, and of course Haugen. If they are all the same family, was it just personal preference as to what they used?

Thank you again for your wonderful help!
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  16:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Judy,

Hopkins gave you several links which might help you with the technicalities involved with name change.

Basically, the situation developed because the migrants were on the interface between their old Norwegian customs and what were/ are the customs in America.

In America, for some time, we had been inheriting our surnames from our fathers. In Norway your name consisted of three parts, your given name (the one in the baptism record) and a patronymic based on what your father's name was (with the suffix -son or -datter depending on your sex) and the third is a farm name which actually functioned as an address. Slettahaug is a farmname. If you changed your address in Norway, moved to a different farm, then the third part of your name was changed to the name of the farm you were living on.

You are always your father's child, no matter where you lived. But when the immigrants came to America they faced many dilemmas and each person resolved the differences in their own way.

So -datter names disappeared almost immediately, and sons and daughters would became -son. Maybe there were too many Ole Olson where you lived and you adopted a different name to help keep the record straight. Maybe you liked the name of the farm that your family lived on for 35 years (like Slettahaug) and decided to use it for your inherited surname. But maybe it was too long or hard to understand and you shortened it (to Sletta or Haug or Haugen) Sometimes you are known by your full Norwegian name in records in U.S. but other times by the shortened or adopted forms for Uncle Sam or the neighbors. There is practically a different story for every immigrant about their name.

Glad to help you research. It seems like you are interested so brush up those research skills (inspite of what you might think) anyone who could stand to research and write about the US legal system certainly has the ability to do family history research.

Good Luck,

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  02:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Judy,

Here is an address for a picture of the headstone of Ole Slettahaug, father of Marie, Pauline, etc.:

http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/bilde.php?id=240833

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Judy Jetson
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  02:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jackie,

Some of these things are pretty comical. I looked up what Slettahaug means in Norwegian -- realizing the site I use may be missing something -- and it meant 'a bad pile.' Hhhmm, must have been a hog farm (having relatives in Minnesota that are hog farmers!).

Then I looked up what was written on the headstone and it said, "Kvil in peace." I'm guessing kvil is an old form of the word live?

I was just going through and pasting/copying different things to print and put inside each trunk when I saw your latest post with the photograph. How unbelievable you found a photograph of a headstone of someone who died in 1919 in Norway!

Thank you too for the information on names. . . even within the U.S. Do you think it is reasonable then to say that the Pauline Haugen carved into one of these trunks is Pauline Slettahaugen/Slettahaug?

Thank you Jackie!
Signed, Judy Bobsdatter Duluthhillside
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  03:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Judy

I guess my translation of Slettahaug would be slanty hill or steep heap or maybe slippery slope not quite as colorful as a nasty pile!

One of my favorite Norwegian jokes goes like this: Norwegians today are fluent in 8 languages, 7 of which are Norwegian! There are 2 national Norwegian languages + numerous dialects. Influences on Norwegian are Danish (400 years of rule by them) and other imports. So there could be lots of variations!

Kvil = hvil= rest, so R.I.P Rest in peace.

Well, there you go. You are already understanding the most basic thing to know about Norwegian ancestor's names...

And if you are curious to read early Duluth newspapers there are some dates up to 1922 at www.genealogybank.com, in the historical newspapers section. You may want to give it a go...

Hilsen fra
Jackie Thomasdatter southFargo

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/08/2011 04:03:49
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  04:51:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Judy,

Forging on:

This is from www.usgenweb.com for St Louis county, Minnesota. Births 1859-1900:

FORSETH MABEL IDA 04/03/1890 214
FORSETH OSCAR EDMUND 09/14/1891 682

From the St. Louis county death index at the same page:
FORSETH JNO NA 01/19/1892 100

From the Marriage index at same page:
E48 Slette, Gina / Forseth, John 1889-06-28 Duluth 1889-06-29 Duluth

Death index at www.mnhs.org:

ANDERSON, OSCAR EDMAN
Date of Birth: 14 Sep 1891
Mother Maiden Name: SLETTE
certid# 1955-MN-029750
Date of Death: 27 Jul 1955
County of Death: ST. LOUIS

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/08/2011 06:04:25
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  07:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My contribution to your translation of Slettahaug is based on info in O. Rygh.

The main farm was Slette (dialect Sletta) = plain - a cotter place on this farm was situated on a haug = heap, thereby Slettahaugen = the heap on the plain.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  07:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Do you think it is reasonable then to say that the Pauline Haugen carved into one of these trunks is Pauline Slettahaugen/Slettahaug?
- the best proof would be birth date and or parents. In this case the censuses 1875 and 1900 and the baptismal records seem to be good enough to conclude that Marie Slettahaug and Pauline Haugen were sisters - both Olesdatter, Slettahaug.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  07:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gustav left for Minnesota in 1906.
Marie left the same year.
Anna (Olianna) Slette (Slettahaugen) left in 1902.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/08/2011 07:28:48
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  08:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

quote:
Do you think it is reasonable then to say that the Pauline Haugen carved into one of these trunks is Pauline Slettahaugen/Slettahaug?
- the best proof would be birth date and or parents. In this case the censuses 1875 and 1900 and the baptismal records seem to be good enough to conclude that Marie Slettahaug and Pauline Haugen were sisters - both Olesdatter, Slettahaug.

What is the history on the trunk carved with the name Pauline. How did it come to be an inheritable asset?
Go to Top of Page

Judy Jetson
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  14:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone,

Well, if I would have looked at Pauline's trunk again before writing it would have become apparent she indeed was Olesdatter. The trunk reads, "Pauline O. Haugen 909. Vest Suprior Str. - Duluth. Minnesota. North = Amerika." Yeah! Before coming to this site and talking to you I passed that critical detail by altogether!

Other than what is carved on the trunk all history up to now has been oral, family names passed down and remembered. I inherited all four trunks from friends, so it is their history I am finding out about. When I asked them about last names in their family and how they changed I think they were as bewildered as I was. They could not tell me who Pauline O. Haugen was, even though it turns out to be their grandmother. Pauline Sletta (or Sletto) they knew! And of course Ingeborg they did not know, but now I know why they did not recognize the name of a friend of their grandmother's sister. Ingeborg traveled with Marie. . . Pauline's sister.

Would love to include photos of Ingeborg's and Pauline's trunks for you to see. If there is a way for me to do that, please let me know.

These trunks are amazing treasures which were essentially headed for the landfill. I hope to find good homes for them and the records they contain, because they truly are filled with Norwegian history -- now more than ever.

Edited by - Judy Jetson on 10/08/2011 14:52:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article