All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 bygdebok
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lukeduk1980
Medium member

USA
185 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  17:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do they sell copies of the bygdebok? Just curious

Edited by - Lukeduk1980 on 26/08/2011 17:54:09

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  18:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, but in my experience they are very expensive to purchase from the US. Depending on where you live you could have good access to them. The University of Minnesota Wilson Library on the West Bank has a very good collection of them that I use often. The University of North Dakota at Grand Forks has a very good collection. The librarian there will for a modest fee lookup farms and copy relevant sections. Here is a link to that.

http://bygdebok.library.und.edu/

The University of Wisconsin at Madison also has a very good collection although I have not used it. St Olaf College in Northfeild also has a very good collection although I have only used that once.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  19:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Concordia College Carl B. Ylvisaker Library in Moorhead, Minnesota also has a collection of bygdebøker in open stacks which they have loaned in the past responsed to ILL requests.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Lukeduk1980
Medium member

USA
185 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  19:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, thanks
Go to Top of Page

Lukeduk1980
Medium member

USA
185 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  19:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more quick question, alot of my ancestors are from Nørre Garli, Nord-Aurdal, Oppland Norway. Is Nørre Garli a farm? I checked FINN and found one in that area. Was it just a big farm?
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  21:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of the various bygdebøker written for many of the rural areas of Norway you need to know WHICH ONE(S) you are actually interested in.

I live in the US and I've purchased bygdebøker that were new and I've also found old out-of-print copies of others through used-book stores in Norway. They were not cheap and the shipping was also costly.

I've used even more by Inter-Library Loan requests through my local public library.

I have other bygdebøker that were copied to microfilm or microfiche and made available for my research through my nearest LDS Family History Center.

The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has a huge collection of Norwegian bygdebøker.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/bygdebok.html

Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  00:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
Nørre is Aurdal dialect for Nordre (Northern).
Farm Nørre Garli - Nordre Garli - Northern Garli.
Nord Aurdal had 6 farms containing Garli in 1865; Northern, Central, Southern and Lower Garli

Gar is probably coming from the river Gaara and li means hillside.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 28/08/2011 10:17:21
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  15:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I bought bygdeboks when I was in Norway and they cost about $100 a piece. If you were to order them, the shipping gets very expensive. I had a cousin find some old ones for me last year and she sent them to me for Christmas. She didn't think they were expensive at all and she said the shipping wasn't bad, but those books were only half the size of the ones I had bought there.

University of ND has a wonderful collection and they will even e-mail you the Table of Contents, to see if it is what you are looking for. Just go through OLL at your library. If you don't find what you want through your library system, talk to a librarian and have them do the search for you.

Good luck!

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  16:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins,
I have a question about the LDS microfilm. Were you able to buy a complete microfilm copy of a bygdebok from them and if so, how much was that?

Thanks!

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  17:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, they don't SELL their microfilms. You order a microfilm at the nearest LDS Family History Center (FHC) and you use their microfilm readers/printers/scanners to study the film at the center. You can choose the length of time that you want the microfilm to remain locally and you will pay a minor fee for that. The cost can vary by location of the FHC but for me it costs $5.50 for a film to remain here for 90 days.

Besides, how many people have a microfilm reader/printer/scanner at home?

I have used microfilms of Norwegian church records and a few bygdeboks. At my local FHC I have also ordered microfilms of Norwegian censuses for those areas of special interest to me -- the original handwritten census pages; Norwegian emigration registers -- the original handwritten pages; passenger lists of arrivals in New York and Quebec -- the original handwritten pages; earliest Norwegian-Lutheran church records of a small congregation in a tiny rural mid-west US; also US county courthouse records from places where my emigrant Norwegian ancestors settled including local birth, marriage and death registers, cemetery listings, history books and more. Their collection of available materials is astounding -- this month I'm studying a microfilm of German church baptisms from a parish in Baden (ancestry for my spouse). Yes, I'm struggling to learn to read the German script - but I've found the names I wanted, made good scans of those particular pages so I can now take my time to decipher the other words.

I'm also lobbying the church council of another little rural US Lutheran church to allow the LDS to microfilm the old church books they currently hold in the safe in the office of the pastor. I had to take a summer vacation trip to be able to see those records in person but very few of the others who also had emigrant ancestors who were members of that church can make such a trip. Having those old records available on LDS microfilm from anywhere in the world that has a FHC would probably help many others in their family tree research.

I also treated myself to a genealogy vacation in Salt Lake City a couple years ago. Walking through the library shelves of Norwegian bygdeboks in the Family History Library was awesome!
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  17:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the German script! I'm going to be starting on some old French documents this Fall and I'm a little intimidated, but willing to try. Also, for my spouse. :-)
I know that you can buy a copy of microfilm from the Lutheran Church archives, that's why I asked about the LDS microfilm. I have a friend, with an old microfilm reader that she picked up, when a library branch closed. I'm always on the lookout for one.

Thanks for responding!
Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article