All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Halvorsens in Eau Claire
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

muinn

Norway
31 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  17:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have earlier asked for help here looking for Theodore Wicklem who emigrated from Ørland, Norway to Eau Claire, Wisconsin in 1881. I have made contact with some of his decendants, among those one of his grandchildren. We are now trying to find the ancestors of Theodore's wife Gunda Halvorsen (1865-1948). I have found out that this Halvorsen family probably came to the USA in 1979, according to the US censuses of Eau Claire I have found so far.

I have found that Gunda Halvorsen's parents probably were:

Paul (Poul) Halvorsen born 1827 in Norway (census)
Sophie (Sofie) Halvorsen (tomstone)

I have found what I think is the family in the censuses in Norway both in 1865 and 1875. I still have to establish the link between the Norwegian Halvorsens and the Eau Claire Halvorsens. In this case information from Eau Claire censuses from 1880. 1885 (Wisconsin) and 1890 would help, as well as information about the family's voyage.

In 1865 we find the following family in Borge:
Poul Halvorsen, age: 38, born in Fredrikstad
Sofie Kristiansdatter, age: 36, born in Borge
Hans Poulsen, age: 5, born in Borge
Oline Poulsdatter, age: 3, born i Borge
Gunda Poulsdatter, age: 1, born in Borge

In 1875 we find the same family in Orkdal:
Poul Halvorsen, born 1827 in Fredrikstad
Soffie Kristiansdatter, born 1829 in Borge
Hans Paulsen, born 1860 in Borge
Gunda Paulsdatter, born 1865 in Borge
Hellena Paulsdatter, born 1867 in Borge
Ole Kristian, born 1867 in Borge

I can find them in the church records of Orkdal moving to the parish August 26th 1875, but I can't find church records of them moving from Orkdal to America in 1879, and I can't find them on any voyage.

We know Gunda Halvorsen had a brother called Hans. I was in Eau Claire this summer together with my cousin, and I know Hans Halvorsen's wife was called Johanna. When I found them in the 1910 census of Eau Claire, Hans' father lived with Hans and Johanna, and his name was Paul Halvorsen (82). So, Gunda and Hans' father was called Paul, born around 1828. Since I also can find one son Ole Halvorsen (born 1874) living together with Paul Halvorsen in Eau Claire in the 1900 census, and also the fact that the tombstone of the Halvorsen family has inscriptions like "P. Halvorsen", "Sophie..." something and one "Hellene..." (probably the daughter born 1867) i feel I have come a long way establishing the fact that this is the family originating from Borge, Norway.

I just wish that I could find the Halvorsens in Eau Claire earlier than 1900, since I know Theodore Wicklem and Gunda Halvorsen met and married in Eau Claire in 1881, and also I think finding them travelling across the Atlantic would help establishing/verifying the fact that we are talking about the right family.

Aasmund S.

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  23:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe this will help somewhat. Marriage record for Guida Halvorsen. Note the date for the marriage is not 1881.

Name: Guida Halvorson
Marriage Date: 5 Dec 1885
County: Eau Claire
Volume: 02
Page: 0179

Edited by - AntonH on 26/09/2011 23:35:39
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  23:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marriage record for Theodore Wicklem, note the date and page number are the same as the marriage listed above for Guda Halvorson.

Name: Theodor Wiklem
Marriage Date: 5 Dec 1885
County: Eau Claire
Volume: 02
Page: 0179

From Ancestry.com
Go to Top of Page

muinn

Norway
31 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  23:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry, the year of marriage is of course 1885. 1881 is the year Theodore emigrated to Eau Claire and the USA.

Aasmund S.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  00:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect that this is the family arriving in America. From Ancestry.com. You have to ignore the Swedish identification. The famly is listed as .

Paul Halversen abt 1829 age 50
Sofie Christianson abt 1832 age 47
Hans Paulsen abt 1861 age 18
Gunda Paulsen abt 1865 age 14
Helene Paulsen abt 1868 age 11
Ole C Paulsen abt 1875 age 4

Name: Paul Halversen
Arrival Date: 9 May 1879
Birth Year: abt 1829
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Swedish
Place of Origin: Sweden
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: City of Brussels
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  00:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same family leaving Norway in April 25, 1879. Travelling to Menomonee Wisconsin.

http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=13&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=47518&merk=47518#ovre

Found in Emigranterr fra Oslo 1867-1930 gammel number 47518 search under Gunda Paulsen.

Edited by - AntonH on 27/09/2011 00:22:48
Go to Top of Page

muinn

Norway
31 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  01:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jepp! Thank you! I now feel I have established a plausible link between the Norwegian Halvorsen family and the Eau Claire Halvorsens. It is the same people who go from Oslo who come to New York, going to Menomonie. Today the distance is 20 minutes by car. I don't know yet how long they stayed in Menomonie before they came to Eau Claire, but we are starting to have a family story for Gunda here. Of course I can provide much of the birth, christening and marriage details for my cousin from the church records in Borge and other places.

Poul Halvorsen - by the way - was born June 3rd 1827 in Fredrikstad, christened October 1st, and his parents were Halvor Halvorsen and Gunnild Andersdatter. They lived in Vaterland in Fredrikstad.

Sofie Christiansdatter was born in Borge (outside Fredrikstad)

The family moved to Orkdal late in the summer of 1875 because Paul was going to work for a local businessman there called Thams, whom all in the Trøndelag region know. Thams was born in the Fredrikstad area also.

Apparently they went back to Borge before they emigrated to the USA, and in the spring of 1879 they started their voyage across the Atlantic ocean, arriving New York May 9th 1879.

Then they probably came to Menomonie first, and then went on to Eau Claire after a while. In 1900 both Paul, Hans, Gunda and Ole live in Eau Claire. Paul is a widower living with his son Ole, and Hans and Gunda have families of their own. If I am right, Helene has also passed away by the turn of the century, and I think she may be buried in Eau Claire at the place of the Halvorsen family, where many of the others are buried: Paul and Sophie, Hans (born 1860) and Johanna (1862-1926), Hans' daughter Sophie (1884-1969) and her husband August Johnson (1882-1956) .

Great! Thank you "lyndal40" (or Anton) so much for this!

Feel free anyone to add information if you should happen to find any other interesting details about the Halvorsens, but I think we have the most important here now in order to write a story about the Halvorsens and the Wicklems of Eau Claire!

Aasmund S.
Go to Top of Page

Diane Wick
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  16:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sven Halvorsen and Henchika Halvorsen were parents listed in marriage of Henry (Arny E.)Svenson(Swanson) to Brita Stephenson Married in Richland Wisconsin to Brita Stephenson certificate -oCCUPATION: fARMER page 178, no. 375 Henry Svendson, and Brita Stephenson, parents listed as for Henry: Sven Holverson, and Henchika Holverson, and for Brita Holstein Stephauson, and Brita Stephauson on 29 October 1867. Brita's parents were Halsten Steffensen braatole male age 48
mother Brita Sjursdatter Braatole age 40 who came on the ship VAS NORGE from norway in 1865 to Quebec.
Henry Swanson(Svenson)was born 14 June 1847 in Norway. He is my great grandfather. My grand father was Odean Lawrence Swanson born 1882 Cylon Wisconsin.

Diane Wick
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article