All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Boston, MA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scanbar
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  01:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have hit a wall and am now trying everything I can think of - is there a way to determine if any of these ships, in 1890 - 91 possibly a White Line, stopped in Boston MA before going on to their final port of call?

Thank you
Barbara Young
scanbar@prodigy.net

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  08:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you thinking of a specific ship?

Below is the authorization, and routes of the White Star Line, that we have noted for 1890:

Agent's authorization: Via Hull and Newcastle to Liverpool and from there to New York and on to the final destianetion in America

Routes:
Liverpool - Boston/Philadelphia
Liverpool - New York
Liverpool - New Zealand
London - New York (cargo)

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

scanbar
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  13:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Borge,

I am not planning a trip :(
I am trying to find the ship my grandfather emmigrated on, There is a strong possibility that he took the SS Montelello out of Christiania in the fall of 1890, but I have not been able find the connecting ship to the USA. The agent was Elster. This information is not corroberated with any documentation that the Karl Mikkelsen, who I believe was on the Montebello, was my grandfather, Carl Michelsen. He apparently met my grandmother on the ship over so if they are both listed on the passenger list I will have broken through that wall and perhaps I can get to the next wall. I would hope to find where they lived in Norway and Sweden from Poice records.I have a vague recollection of my uncle saying that they landed in Boston because in around 1917, they moved east to Boston from Chicago because they liked Boston and also wanted to be near the ocean.

THank you very much,
Barbara

Go to Top of Page

Trond

Norway
174 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  20:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barbara,
If you give me the date the S/S Montebello left Christiania I might be able to give you a picture of some connecting journeys, Ships and Lines from England to America in the fall of 1890.

Trond Austheim
Go to Top of Page

scanbar
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  22:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

This information concerns a Karl Mikkelsen ( my grandfather was know as Carl Michelsen but maybe they are the same person) Destination Chicago, Agents name was Elster: Sailed on the steamship Montebello: Left 24 Oct 1890. His fare was prepaid. In the Remarks column is an "R" which I don't know what it means.
This information was given to me by a NORWAY lister and I have been scouring the passenger lists for weeks looking for more information.
THank you very much
Barbara

Go to Top of Page

Trond

Norway
174 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  23:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barbara,
I haven’t got any White Star arrivals for Boston, only Cunard Line.
There was not any good White Star connection, only the White Star S/S Teutonic arrived New York Nov. 5 and that’s very fast (normally 10 days from England). Another White Star arrival was the S/S Majestic, New York Nov. 19 and that is late!
Two Cunard Line steamships fit very well:
S/S Aurania, New York, Nov. 10
S/S Pavonia, Boston, Nov 11
The departure date for all journeys from England is unknown.
PS. I have found some errors in the police records during the years. Most of the errors are agents and feeder ships.

Trond Austheim
Go to Top of Page

scanbar
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  23:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Thank you!!
I will see if I can find passenger lists for the 2 Cunard ships. The one that docked in Boston sounds encouraging. It is these bits of encouragement that urge me onward even though they may not yield the results I had hoped. <grin>
Your mention of the errors in police reports - I have not looked for police reports as yet, as I don't have any idea where his home was. My mother always said Oslo but if you asked where I live I might say Boston as it is well known, when in fact I live about 60 miles away.

I thank you again
Barbara

Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2002 :  00:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

PS. I have found some errors in the police records during the years. Most of the errors are agents and feeder ships.

Trond, are you suggesting that the mention of the White Star Line agent "Elster" might just be an error in the police list

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Trond

Norway
174 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2002 :  22:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barbara & Børge,
Several rows and colons build up the Oslo Police records: The colon for Agent and Ship are one of the last. Repeat match for the next passenger are often used. There are sometimes information crossed out and information added. During the years there must have been a lot of different clerks writing in this books. That’s probably the reasons why there can be errors.

I have looked up the police records for Karl Mikkelsen, a 20 years old Clark from Oslo (Kristiania) with destination New York. Agent was Elster.
The White Star steamship Teutonic was a new ship and made the journey from Liverpool to New York in 6 days. There is a good chance you will find Carl on the Teutonic, arrive in New York, November 5th.
http://www.norwayheritage.com/ships/teutonic.htm

Trond Austheim
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2002 :  22:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trond

Have you ever worked on the Elster (White Star Line) archives at the Statsarkivet in Oslo?

I have a protocl which belonged to a White Star Line agent in Trondheim, and it lists all kinds of information about the transatlantic ship the emigrants had signed up for.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article