All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Martin Anderson, Newfoundland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ronfeniak
New on board

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  16:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I know about Martin Anderson's background comes from Newfoundland census records. He was born in Norway in 1850 and emigrated to Newfoundland in 1876. His religion was Salvation Army and his birth location in Norway was spelled Scarulr although the writing was hard to read and I could find no places in Norway of similar name. I can not find Martin Anderson in the Quebec arrival lists nor can I find him in the Norwegian census of 1875 (the only Martin Anderson born in 1850 that I found in that census was married with a child and does not appear to be the person of interest). Can anyone help me trace his Norwegian roots?

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  18:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very few words in Norwegian begin with Sc, try Sk

And even with the limited info you have you could take a look for every Martin Anderson b. 1850 in the 1865 census transcription. Unfortunately there are likely to be many.

Also the 1875 census transcription online is not comprehensive, not all places are yet included.

The birthplace may not be a town, village or bigger place to appear on a map but its also possible that it is a farm name.

The extra letters in the Norwegian alphabet also get transformed in English renderings to unheardof forms in Norway. FYI

What was his occupation in New Foundland? Is the document containing the word for his birthplace online somewhere?

Edited by - jkmarler on 03/04/2012 19:26:08
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  20:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
Martin Andersen b. 1850:
Is 1850 from a document or is it calculated from the age of a certificate?

Acc to the LDS records there were 43 Martin Andersen b. 1850 in Norway + 5 in the 1880 US census.

The 1875 cenus for Norway is not complete online.

SCARULR is Americanized. The ending ...ulr is not Norwegian.
Skar....
Skaar...
Skarul....
Skarud

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

ronfeniak
New on board

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  21:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
many thanks for two quick replies ... Scarulr was recorded by a census taker in Newfoundland in 1921 and must be a phoetic guesstimate at how to spell it in English. This Martin Anderson arrived in Newfoundland (not a province of Canada until 1949) in 1876 and stayed there for the remainer of his life. The birth year of 1850 could be plus or minus a year as it is calculated from his age given in the census.

43 is not a huge number ... I could probably narrow it down using Norwegian census data (i.e. he would have been in Norway in 1865 and 1875 but not in 1900, nor would he be in the 1880 US census). However, the best way if the data is available is probably 1875/6 passenger lists or arrivals in New York and Quebec of Norwegians born in 1850 +/- one year.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  23:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also belive Scarulr is phonetic of where he came from in Norway, probably a farmname.

I have tried to pronunce it in English to find out what it might be in Norwegian with no sucess so far.

But he exist in the Norwegian 1865 census, a great advantage for you.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  00:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it him who in Newfoundland 1882 at age 27 married Amalie Elizabet Wheeler age 17( b. Jan. 27. 1865 in Twillingate) ? She died Mai 30. 1900 in Pilleys Island.
He is believd to be the Martin Anderson bc 1850 in Norway, in the Grand Falls R.S. 1921 census.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

ronfeniak
New on board

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  00:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is him! I have a copy of the original census and although the database where I first found it transcribed the place as Scarulr, it looks a little differentthan thatto me. If I can figure out how to send you a picture of the original census writing it might help you to decipher the word.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  00:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another tactic / strategy would be, if you think New Foundland was his destination from the beginning you could look at each of the emigrant's lists at the Digitalarkivet website searching for destinations containing found... Have you ever seen those databases?
Go to Top of Page

ronfeniak
New on board

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  01:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to say whether he knew his ultimate desination all along ... it does not seem that there were many Norwegians emigrating to Newfoundland at that time. I am not familiar with those databases but it might be a good idea to check them out
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  05:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to the databases:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebMeta.exe?slag=vismeny&fylkenr=&knr=&katnr=5&aar=&dagens=&emnenr=1
Go to Top of Page

hudson
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  20:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Martin Anderson from what I know lived in a town in Newfoundland once known as Grand Falls Relay Station. It was set up near the near paper mill town of Grand Falls around 1904-05. Martin was one of its earliest residents. He was a shoemaker. He was the first person to built a house in this new town. His son William Anderson known as "Billie Anderson" had a gas station and general store. Billie also had a Steam tractor that he used to haul logs to sell to the paper mill. Also when he was asked by the census taker in 1921 where he was from, the census taker would have wrote down what it sounded like to him.

Edited by - hudson on 06/09/2016 21:45:54
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  22:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There appear to be at least 3 transcriptions of the NF 1921 census schedule. It might be nice if there was an actual image of the writing.

http://ngb.chebucto.org/PhpDB/display.php?action=community&district=Twillingate&community=Grand+Falls+Station&page=480
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  23:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe he learned the shoemaking trade in Norway?

Here is a Martin Anderson b 1850 who is a shoemaker although the parish Hof bears no resemblance to "scarulr":

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01038111001810
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  23:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A link to the actual image of that census page is available by going through the LDS Family History Library CATALOG.
Search - Newfoundland
Census 1921
I searched for Martin Anderson and it responded that the indexer had listed as "Morten Anderson" and Annie in Grand Falls Station - link to image from there.

I'm not absolutely sure that the first letter was meant to be an S... but I can't think of what location in Norway it could be...

Edited by - Hopkins on 06/09/2016 23:39:58
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  01:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is how the FamilySearch page is presented to me.

Morten Anderson
Newfoundland Census, 1921
Name Morten Anderson
Event Type Census
Event Date 1921
Event Place Grand Falls Station, Twillingate, Newfoundland, Canada
Gender Male
Age 70
Marital Status Widowed
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Head
Birth Year (Estimated) 1851
Birthplace Scamen Norway
Page 480
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  02:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He may have had several children with Amalie long before the 1921 Census including thia one named James.

Other information in the record of James Anderson
from Newfoundland Vital Statistics
Name James Anderson
Event Type Birth
Event Date 20 Apr 1884
Event Place New Bay, Twillingate, Newfoundland, Canada
Gender Male
Father's Name Martin Anderson
Mother's Name Amelia

And a Augustus Adolphus Anderson born in 1893

Edited by - AntonH on 07/09/2016 02:33:49
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article