All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Charles Olson aka Wilson b 1834 in maybe Oslo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  22:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seeking the Norwegian roots of Charles Wilson (b 1834) of Brooklyn, Kings, New York. Born in Norway, with surname Olsen in Norway.

We would appreciate any help so much!

We’re looking for a ship’s crew list - or any evidence - that shows this ancestor coming from Norway to New York, USA. Even better would be his birth record, birth place, and family in Norway.

We have already located the family in New York (see the online family history here: http://www.skippywilson.com/charles1.html)

Charles Olsen was born 9 June 1834 in Oslo. At least family folklore says this was his birth place and birth name. In the USA he was called Charles Wilson. The family believes Oslo is his birthplace but have no proof of that.

His death certificate states that his father’s name was Charles (perhaps an Americanization of a Norwegian name such as Carl or Claus).

Family folklore tells that he entered the USA by “jumping ship,” which implies that he was a member of a ship’s crew.

He appears as Charles Wilson in a Brooklyn, Kings, New York, city directory dated 1864, so he was in Brooklyn at least by then (and possibly earlier). His first child was born in May 1865 in Brooklyn.

His wife was Catherine Reinhardt. Their twelve children were Caroline, Anne J., Charles John Jr., Mary, Annie G., Fannie, Lulu, Kate, Katrina, Fred, Martha M., and Ida Louise.

An old family photo of him has a handwritten note on the back; a hard-to-read word appears in front of the word OSLO, that could say Christiansted? Christiansand? or Christiania? The cousin who owns the photo was told Charles's birth place was Oslo.

Thanking you so much in advance for any help you can give!

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  23:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting query..
It might help if you could provide an image of the handwritten note.
Why do you think he was an "Olsen"?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  01:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for replying! You have put a big smile on my face!

I will see if a scan of the photo (and the note on the back) can be made and get back to you on that. I myself do not have this photo so I cannot offer to scan it.

The family has had the family story that his name was "Olsen." That is the only source for the name "Olsen."

Probably the most firm fact is his birth date:

09 June 1834

His death certificate says his father's name was "Charles." But I have found often the person who is giving the information for a death certificate can be wrong about some things. Surely his father's name in Norway isn't Charles, right? Maybe he told his family he was "named after his father" or something like that.

As you can see from the website, a lot of effort has gone into making a family history!

It would be so good if the connection to Norway could be found.

Again thank you and hoping to hear from you again!
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  02:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some facts about Charles. The 1900 US Census would indicate that he arrived in 1863. Also this data would indicate his birth year is 1835,

1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Charles Wilson
Birth Date: Jun 1835
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1900: Brooklyn Ward 5, Kings, New York
[Kings]
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1863
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Catherine E Wilson
Marriage Year: 1863
Years Married: 37
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway

Edited by - AntonH on 23/05/2012 03:51:10
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  03:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably, same Charles in 1880, children left off. Birth place is listed as Sweden. Have you determined that Sweden is not a viable birth place? And in the 1870 Census he is listed as having been born in Prussia.

1880 United States Federal Census
Birth Year: abt 1839
Birthplace: Sweden
Home in 1880: Brooklyn, Kings, New York
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Kate Wilson
Father's Birthplace: Sweden
Mother's Birthplace: Sweden
Neighbors:

Edited by - AntonH on 19/05/2012 03:40:25
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  04:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for posting that! Also I really appreciate hearing from you. I wasns't sure anyone would read my post. This is wonderful!! : D

It's a good idea to add more information, as you did, so I'll add the full 1900 census and some more information. Sometimes it is hard to know how much to post.

Did he immigrate 1862? or 1863? (He did immigrate before 1864.) Not sure.

One Brooklyn City Directory says he immigrated 1862

Yes the 1900 census says 1863 but the US census is not reliable about immigration year. He was in Brooklyn by at least 1864, because he has a child born May 1865. I looked again at the website (link above). There is an 1862 Brooklyn City Directory that lists a Charles Wilson. The man in the directory could be a different Charles Wilson, but it seems to be the same man, because of the job he has - "LIGHTERMAN." (Usually lighterman means loading and unloading ships.) All his jobs seem to be on ships and boats or working on the waterfront.

More US CENSUS INFORMATION
1870 he lives in the 2nd Ward , Brooklyn, Kings, New York
1875 lives in 1st dist. 2nd W., Brooklyn, Kings, New York
1880 lives at 1161 Prospect Street, Brooklyn, Kings, New York
1900 lives at 237 Gold Street

1900 US CENSUS
Brooklyn Ward 5, Kings, New York
Charles Wilson 64, born June 1835, in Norway, to USA 1863, married, longshoreman
Catherine E. Wilson 54
Mary Wilson 22 daughter
Ida Lezak 20 daughter
Vincent Lezak 27 son-in-law
William Lezak 2

Charles Married Catharine Rheinhardt born Aug of 1845 in New York. She was the daughter of John Rheinhardt and Catharine Lower.
Together they had twelve children.
Caroline Wilson born May 23, 1865
Anne J. Wilson 1867
Charles John Jr. Wilson July 31, 1868
Mary Wilson Abt. December 1869
Annie G. Wilson July 23, 1871
Fannie Wilson About 1873
Lulu Wilson About 1874
Kate December 1874
Katarina About 1874
Fred Wilson November 1876
Martha M. Wilson aka Mary or Mazy December 1878
Ida Louise Wilson December 23, 1880

Here are the jobs listed in the Brooklyn City Directories.
YEAR of DIRECTORY/CHARLES WILSON ADDRESS/CHARLES WILSON OCCUPATION
1861-62 address: 145 ST -- SEAMAN
1862-63 Wolcott N. RICHARDS -- LIGHTERMAN
1864-65 145 Wolcott ST. -- LIGHTERMAN
1865-66 145 Wolcott ST. -- LIGHTERMAN
1866-67 83 BRIDGE STREET -- SEAMAN
1867-68 67 PRINCE -- CLERK
1868-69 108 SACKETT -- LIGHTERMAN
1869-70 4 MERCEIN -- LIGHTERMAN
1870-71 SULLIVAN & VAN BRUNT -- SEAMAN
1871-72 8 MERCEIN -- SEAMAN
1872-73 6 MERCEIN -- LABORER
1873-74 6 MERCEIN -- LIGHTERMAN
1874-75 6 MERCEIN -- LIGHTERMAN
1875-76 6 MERCEIN -- LABORER
1876-77 6 MERCEIN -- LABORER
1881-82 36 CHARLES ST -- LABORER
1882-83 209 Prospect Street -- SEAMAN
1884-85 209 Prospect Street -- LIGHTERMAN
1885-86 209 Prospect Street -- LIGHTERMAN
1886-87 209 Prospect Street -- BOATMAN
1887-88 209 Prospect Street -- LABORER
1888-89 53 Bridge Street -- LABORER
1889-90 135 York Street -- SAILOR
1890-91 20 Canton Street -- SEAMAN
1891-92 156 York
1899-00 237 Gold -- LONGSHOREMAN
1900-01 237 Gold -- LIGHTERMAN

One of Charles's descendants had trouble posting here. Since he could not post, he is reading the forum and writing to me to help answer questions. I hope he will be able soon to post in the forum.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  04:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About Charles Wilson immigration year:

I think he will not be found on a passenger list. The family story says he "jumped ship," which seems to mean he was a crew member on a ship - not a passenger. Also, from his jobs in Brooklyn, it makes sense that he would be a crewman on a ship.

Is there such a thing as a list of people who worked on ships? Could he be found working on a ship that leaves Oslo/Christiania in 1862 or 1863?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  04:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is quite doubtful that the Charles Wislon living with Hanora Wilson from the 1860 US Census is the your Charles Wislon. Is age is quite a bit off, he is listed as from Switzerland and in order for him to marry Catherine Reinhardt in 1863 and have a child in 1864 he would have had to have left the first family. Possible but maybe not very likely.

1860 United States Federal Census
Age in 1860: 33
Birth Year: abt 1827
Birthplace: Switzerland
Home in 1860: Brooklyn Ward 12 District 2, Kings, New York
Post Office: Brooklyn
Value of real estate:
Household Members:
Name Age
Hanora Wilson 26
Hanora Wilson 5
Charles Wilson 33
Adam Wilson 4
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  05:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is there such a thing as a list of people who worked on ships? Could he be found working on a ship that leaves Oslo/Christiania in 1862 or 1863?

Ancestry.com has immigration records of both ship passenger and crew members. However for crew members according to their website the data does not start until 1897..

Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1820-1897; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M237, 675 rolls); Records of the U.S. Customs Service, Record Group 36; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1897-1957; (National Archives Microfilm Publication T715, 8892 rolls); Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives, Washington, D.C.

In spite of that information I did check for passengers arriving in 1863 +/- 1 year, born in 1835 +/- 2 years without much luck.

Edited by - AntonH on 19/05/2012 05:07:54
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  05:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are also Passenger lists from Norway, including three from Oslo-Kristiania, however as you can see by clicking on the link below they begin in 1867 and to my knowledge do not include crew members.

http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/WebMeta.exe?slag=vismeny&fylkenr=&knr=&katnr=5&aar=&dagens=&emnenr=1

Edited by - AntonH on 19/05/2012 05:12:11
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  05:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you.

Thank you for finding all this, and posting!

What are the chances of finding him in Norway????

The family story that he "jumped ship" suggests he worked on a ship that sailed to America, and he was supposed to stay on the ship when it returned to Norway (or sailed to its next port). Instead, he left his job without permission and stayed ashore in America. This story could be true - he did work on ships. If it is true, then probably he is not going to be found on an immigration record.

At any rate, I did not find him when I looked for him in immigration records (using variations of first and last name).
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  05:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a phone call and left my message on the computer, then I "sent" it when I returned , so now I am finding your latest messages. Thank you for your continued efforts!
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  05:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's interesting about the passenger lists from Norway, and thank you for that link. Even though the lists start too late for Charles, I appreciate the information.

It sounds like you had the same experience on Ancestry.com that I had when I searched. Sometimes when a second person searches, the "lost" person is found - but not in this case. He is hiding very well.

Thank you for looking!

If Charles Olson is born on 09 June 1834 in Oslo/Christiania, would it be possible to spot him? I didn't find a man of similar name with that birth day when I searched with Family Search.

I haven't heard back about the photo with the handwritten note. My theory is that the place in the photo is named Christiania, and then the word Oslo is added to clarify the city that is meant. The cousin who had the photo had been told that Oslo was Charles's birth place. Of course we must take that with a grain of salt.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  05:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a good starting point for learning about Norway and how to go about searching for ancestors.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na2.html
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  06:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll read that. You've been very patient. : D

Takk!
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  06:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One advantage that you have if your Charles Wilson was born in Norway is that most of the Norwegian records of interest have been scanned, digitized etc. and put online. A good starting point for looking for Norwegian records is Digitalarkivet. Here is the Starting Page in English for most searches.

http://www.arkivverket.no/eng/content/view/full/629

One of the disadvantages that you face is that Oslo is/was a large city and birth records are not just listed in one place as they would be if Charles was born in a small parish. If you click on the link named "Digitised Parish Registers" then click on "Read the Digitised parish resgisters" then under Velg Fylke click on Oslo and under Velg prestegjeld/sokn: click on Oslo Hospital / gamelbyen and then click on right side on the list of dates you are interested in, then click on 1834 in the section Fødte og døpte. This will give you a little idea of what you are up against.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article