All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Charles Olson aka Wilson b 1834 in maybe Oslo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  19:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to update the forum about the man I am helping - he is still having technical difficulties logging into this site. Therefore I realize I "jumped the gun" by posting. While I thought he would appear quickly, I now realize I should have waited for him. He can add much more information than I can. Sorry about that! I thank you all for your attention, skills, and patience. He sends his greetings and warm appreciation!
Go to Top of Page

JackWilson

Philippines
62 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  04:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jane, You are a great help. Thank you. I am finally in! Yay.
So now, what else can I tell you.?

quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Just to update the forum about the man I am helping - he is still having technical difficulties logging into this site. Therefore I realize I "jumped the gun" by posting. While I thought he would appear quickly, I now realize I should have waited for him. He can add much more information than I can. Sorry about that! I thank you all for your attention, skills, and patience. He sends his greetings and warm appreciation!

JJW
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  06:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bravo Jack!

One request that came up was for a scan of the old photo with the illegible word Christensted/Christiania/Christiansund? Perhaps someone in the forum would have better luck discerning what it says, if they can see it.

Also a question was raised about the photographer/photo studio.

Another question was asked about whether Charles was Catholic in Norway. If so he would "stand out from the crowd." The church in Brooklyn they attended might have a record of his origins.

There are other excellent questions and as you read through all that's been posted, you'll see them.

Another task is to find the link that was posted that teaches how to use Norwegian records. The more you can join the effort to comb through them, the better. It's quite a learning curve to master this, however - thank goodness for the help of this forum.

What do you think of the idea that his name in Norway might be Carl Johan?

I have been amazed by all that the people here have given to this quest. I've learned a lot.

Again, welcome, and congratulations on "getting in."
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  06:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

One advantage that you have if your Charles Wilson was born in Norway is that most of the Norwegian records of interest have been scanned, digitized etc. and put online. A good starting point for looking for Norwegian records is Digitalarkivet. Here is the Starting Page in English for most searches.

http://www.arkivverket.no/eng/content/view/full/629

One of the disadvantages that you face is that Oslo is/was a large city and birth records are not just listed in one place as they would be if Charles was born in a small parish. If you click on the link named "Digitised Parish Registers" then click on "Read the Digitised parish resgisters" then under Velg Fylke click on Oslo and under Velg prestegjeld/sokn: click on Oslo Hospital / gamelbyen and then click on right side on the list of dates you are interested in, then click on 1834 in the section Fødte og døpte. This will give you a little idea of what you are up against.

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  06:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fødte og døpte - birth and baptismal days -

Jack what would you say is the level of certainty about that birth day/month/year?

Have you seen a middle name for him anywhere? Are there records not yet acquired that might show more information about him? I know we talked about that but...
Go to Top of Page

JackWilson

Philippines
62 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  06:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I mentioned, I am looking for that photo. I am home now but am convinced it is at the office. I will be there tomorrow and let's see if i can find it. As I remember it said Christan es sted or something close.
quote:

Bravo Jack!

One request that came up was for a scan of the old photo with the illegible word Christensted/Christiania/Christiansund? Perhaps someone in the forum would have better luck discerning what it says, if they can see it.

Also a question was raised about the photographer/photo studio.

Another question was asked about whether Charles was Catholic in Norway. If so he would "stand out from the crowd." The church in Brooklyn they attended might have a record of his origins.

There are other excellent questions and as you read through all that's been posted, you'll see them.

Another task is to find the link that was posted that teaches how to use Norwegian records. The more you can join the effort to comb through them, the better. It's quite a learning curve to master this, however - thank goodness for the help of this forum.

What do you think of the idea that his name in Norway might be Carl Johan?

I have been amazed by all that the people here have given to this quest. I've learned a lot.

Again, welcome, and congratulations on "getting in."

JJW
Go to Top of Page

JackWilson

Philippines
62 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  07:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the middle name of his son at the M.E. Church records in N.J. I am not sure if the name was Charles John because of any other reason then his grandfather on his mother's side was John.
The date was on the census records. I have no reason to doubt it. People mess up a lot on those records and I am sure it could be wrong but I have a good feeling for it. Especially after going through other census, death certificate says he was 68 years old. He died on Sept 6, 1902.1834 at the earliest

quote:

F�dte og d�pte - birth and baptismal days -

Jack what would you say is the level of certainty about that birth day/month/year?

Have you seen a middle name for him anywhere? Are there records not yet acquired that might show more information about him? I know we talked about that but...

JJW
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  15:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, that's what I thought the source was for the date - but wasn't sure if maybe you had a family Bible or additional source.
Like you, when I first saw "Charles John" for the son, I thought of the maternal grandfather. The forum prompted me to think more about the name possibly coming from Charles himself. With several Charles Wilson's in Brooklyn, Charles might have had the courtesy (to us) to use a middle initial! hehe
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  17:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JackWilson

I found the middle name of his son at the M.E. Church records in N.J. I am not sure if the name was Charles John because of any other reason then his grandfather on his mother's side was John.
[quote]Originally posted by JaneC

One of the several databases with Charles Wilson at www.rootsweb.com contained the information that Charles Jr.'s middle name was Jacob, not sure if it was nokomisjoe's or not (the one I linked to.) Basically, any small detail could be helpful in determining where Charles fits in Norway.

Go to Top of Page

JackWilson

Philippines
62 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  18:05:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nokomisjoe was my cousin's husband on my mother's side. They are both deceased. Any info he had on my family he got from me so if you saw Jacob, he made a mistake.
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

quote:
Originally posted by JackWilson

[quote]Originally posted by JaneC

One of the several databases with Charles Wilson at www.rootsweb.com contained the information that Charles Jr.'s middle name was Jacob, not sure if it was nokomisjoe's or not (the one I linked to.) Basically, any small detail could be helpful in determining where Charles fits in Norway.

JJW
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  19:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked again and Charles jr's middle name is given as Jacob in nokomisjoe's database. All the databases about Charles Wilson b. 1835 Norway were posted in 2001. Joseph Logan (nokomisjoe), Patricia Greer and an unnamed contributor whose email addresses given as 7101@usa.net and 7101@concentric.net were the contributors. Information appears very similar with only a few variations, one in particular is an additional child named Caroline of Charles and Catherine. There could be other differences as well. It's just an FYI.

Family history research is a process, seldom perfect, always in the process of being perfected.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  21:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

I checked again ... in nokomisjoe's database... Information appears very similar with only a few variations

Yes, that's Jack and his family member. Excellent idea to point out the database - thanks. As you say every little thing helps (or might help). After all, Charles can only be identified by a pile of parallels between him and a person and family in Norway. No one similarity would be enough.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  04:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One can search Ancestry.com New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 Record for males, Ethnicity/Race for Norwegian and arrival 1863 +/-2.. This search turns up 273 names. As you scroll through the names the approximate birth year is given even tho you cannot include that in the search criteria. That helps narrow the candidates. What was disappointing was the lack of a Olson or Olsen even close to the age we are looking for, No Olsens or Olsons born 1838 +/- 2 with any first name. The only name close to Wilson is the following Charles Williams. Interesting for this person is his occupation is listed as mariner.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Charles Williams
Arrival Date: 18 Mar 1862
Birth Year: abt 1839
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Norwegian
Place of Origin: Norway
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Mamaroneck
Go to Top of Page

JackWilson

Philippines
62 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  04:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much but according to what I know, Charles worked on a ship and jumped while at port in Booklyn.There he changed the name. He would not be listed as a passenger but needs to be part of the crew. I don't know if they even did that.
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

One can search Ancestry.com New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 Record for males, Ethnicity/Race for Norwegian and arrival 1863 +/-2.. This search turns up 273 names. As you scroll through the names the approximate birth year is given even tho you cannot include that in the search criteria. That helps narrow the candidates. What was disappointing was the lack of a Olson or Olsen even close to the age we are looking for, No Olsens or Olsons born 1838 +/- 2 with any first name. The only name close to Wilson is the following Charles Williams. Interesting for this person is his occupation is listed as mariner.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Charles Williams
Arrival Date: 18 Mar 1862
Birth Year: abt 1839
Ethnicity/Race�/Nationality: Norwegian
Place of Origin: Norway
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Mamaroneck

JJW
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  06:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the issue of the name is pertinent.

For instance, if Charles Wilson's father's name is Charles Wilson or Charles Olson, following Norwegian standard naming practice followed by most of the population in the mid 1800s--Charles himself would be Charleson, not Olson or Wilson like his father. Charles is an unusual name for a Norwegian but it is not unheardof. In the 1865 Norwegian census transcription online there are 58 men & boys whose given name is Charles.

On forum we've already assumed that a Norwegian equivalent for Charles is Karl / Carl but I can tell from numerous experiencees the Norwegian name of Kittil is often Anglicized to Charles. Charles' true Norwegian name could be something like Kittil or something completely different.

In those previously mentioned databases the birthdate ascribed to Charles is June 1835 (from the 1900 census) / 1839 which was developed from one of the other census schedules in which he appears.

Has Charles citizenship record been researched?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article