All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Marie Estensdatter Marriage Record
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cvanata
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2012 :  21:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tolga/Hedmark. Page 238, Record #5. 4 Apr 1866. The name looks correct. The father name (Esten Jorgensen) looks correct. Can't read husbands name? Marie was born 12 Oct 1842 and Bab: 16 Oct 1842. Same parish Page 23, Record 70. At the end of the marriage record there is a date of 27 Dec 1842? Do I have the correct record?

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2012 :  22:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can speed up and aid in obtaining a reply if you learn to use links. Here for example is a link to your first reference.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8907&idx_id=8907&uid=ny&idx_side=-242
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  00:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cvanata

Tolga/Hedmark. Page 238, Record #5. 4 Apr 1866. The name looks correct. The father name (Esten Jorgensen) looks correct. Can't read husbands name? Marie was born 12 Oct 1842 and Bab: 16 Oct 1842.
Yes, this is Kirsti's sister. Marie Estensdatter in census-1865.
Her future husband is a servant (#180) at the same farm in the census, recorded 4 months prior to their marriage.
His name is Amund Larssen Leren. 2nd column in the marriage record for Amund reads: Born at Leren, current residence Sæter.
Probably his father Lars Jørgensen at Lerenplads farm in census-1865.

27 Dec 1842 is the date of her smallpox vaccination. Anders' vaccination date is 14 Nov 1828.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 31/08/2012 00:24:17
Go to Top of Page

cvanata
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  15:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kirsti's father was Esten Jorgensen. He was a widower when he married Ingeborg Baarsdatter in 1836. I would like confirmation on the 1st record for Tolgen/Vingelen in 1827. Is this his first marriage? If this is the correct record, please clarify names.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  18:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you've studied and used the instructions and been able to find a scanned page on the Digitalarkivet that you'd like to capture as a URL to share with someone else or save for your family history documentation - just copying the URL that your browser shows will NOT provide a working link for longer than about 1/2 an hour -- it only works very temporarily.

Working direct links to the scanned images on the Digitalarkivet can be copied and pasted from the desired page from a display option available. At the top of the scanned image page is an option labeled "Bildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Image Information"[English version] which is by default set to "Ingen" [Norwegian version]/"None" [English version]. Change that and magic is available. Of the three options I like "Øverst" [Norwegian version]/"On top" [English version] because it puts the additional information across the top of the page and is usually easier for me to see.

The first line "Kildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Source information" [English version] is a really nice summary of the source of the information and is wonderful to have for making detailed source citations, footnotes, etc.

The second line "Permanent sidelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent pagelink" [English version] is the best line to capture if you want to save the exact URL location or share the actual scanned image and the source information. It allows the full capabilities for zooming in and out to best view the image and informs the recipient of the exact location, book and other details to be able to find WHERE you found the information.

The third line "Permanent bildelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent imagelink" [English version] is the best used to print a copy of the image or to save a copy of the image in a jpg format computer file. This line does NOT also capture the source information and therefore is NOT the best line to copy to share online when requesting help or assistance in deciphering the image found.

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

The longer links as are described in this 'how-to' will work very well but to learn how to make the short worded links you often see on this website (hyperlinks) - read in the Testing Forum which you can find under 'All Forums' above.
Go to Top of Page

cvanata
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  20:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry my questions were not in the proper fashion. My hard drive is 1994 and "SCAN" is not in its vocabulary. It honesty never occured to me that I needed better computer equipment in order to ask for help. I have been thrilled, overwhelmed and just plain grateful to all of you that were able to overlook my lack of expertise and old equipment and helped me anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  22:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kirsti's father was Esten Jorgensen. He was a widower when he married Ingeborg Baarsdatter in 1836. I would like confirmation on the 1st record for Tolgen/Vingelen in 1827. Is this his first marriage? If this is the correct record, please clarify names.

Bachelor Esten Jørgensen Sæter´s first marriage was June 13. 1834 at age 36 in Vingelen church.
He married maid Anne Engbretsdatter Lomaaen age 40.
Best men; Esten Amundsen Engen and Knud Rasmussen Vingelen, see right page #6

Anne Engbretsdatter "Gaardmandskone paa Sæteren" Farmers wife on Sæteren, died Feb. 13. 1835, age 41, right page #4

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 31/08/2012 22:34:36
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  22:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheryl - If your computer equipment and software will let you view the images of the Norwegian church records at the Digitalarkivet website then you should be fine. You don't need to SCAN anything. Just copy and paste from the top lines of the Digitalarkivet webpage image of the page you want others to look at with you.

Copy and paste capability has been on every computer I've used since 1991 -- PC based or MAC/Apple.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  02:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry my questions were not in the proper fashion. My hard drive is 1994 and "SCAN" is not in its vocabulary. It honesty never occured to me that I needed better computer equipment in order to ask for help. I have been thrilled, overwhelmed and just plain grateful to all of you that were able to overlook my lack of expertise and old equipment and helped me anyway.

It's not that your question was not in the "proper fashion." One thing which some folks haven't appreciated on the forum is that every reply is done by someone who volunteers their time. If that time has to be spent on finding the things you already know that is less time to answer the real questions. By not supplying the link (especially when you had access to it) you cause inefficiency which might make a response less likely.
Go to Top of Page

cvanata
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  21:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the marriage record. If there had been children I might have missed that information. Kirsti's sister, Marie Estensdatter born in 1842 is missing. You verified her marriage records of April 4th 1866 to Amund Larssen Leren Farm. I found where they had a daughter in 1867 and have not been able to find one record since. Checked immigration for these three for next 10 years. Checked moved out of the parish to another parish also. Can't find a record of death for her. No record she had more children-checked until 1874. What am I missing?
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  21:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Census-1900

Maren Amundsdatter b. 1853. Her husband lives at a farm in Løten, Hedmark.
Marie Arnesdatter b. 1885. Daughter
Inga Arnesdatter b. 1898. Daughter
Amund Larsen b. 1827. Father to Maren Amundsdatter
Mari Estensdatter b. 1842. Mother to Maren Amundsdatter
Ingeborg Amundsdatter b. 1867. Sister to Maren Amundsdatter

Maren seems to be divorced, since her husband lives on a different farm. It was not straight forward to get a divorce in those days, so maybe they just lived apart from each other.
The census says Mari Estensdatter is the mother to Maren,but it seems unlikely. Marie was only 11 y.o. in 1853. She is most likely step-mother, and Amund is her real father.

Census-1910
Maren's husband Arne Sæter is back at the farm.
Mari Sæter b. 14 Okt 1842 is a widow. She is listed as step-mother... (to Maren Amundsdatter)

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 04/09/2012 21:56:28
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  22:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maren Amundsdatter was born out of wedlock Marc 23 1853, see #27.
Her mother was Goro Nilsdatter.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

cvanata
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2012 :  22:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thing I asked because I had not considered seperation and I would never have known what happened to her. You will be happy to know that I did not have any trouble with Kirstie's sister Anne (found her death record) or her oldest brother Jorgen. Those records seemed to just jump off the page at me. That leaves her brother Ole. I have been starring at any number of "Ole's" the last couple of days but none of them seem to fit. I was not successful with the 1875 Census but I did get nine "Ole's" on the 1900 Census but none of them were him. He was born 6 Feb 1848 and confirmed 28 Jan 1863 but that is the last record I can find on him. Ole is the second son and Jorgen was the first born son. It looks like Jorgen took over the farm when his father passed away. When your a second son you would have to move to another farm? If Ole did move to another farm, would the parish record show he did this? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

cvanata
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  17:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I can find my way around a little bit easier, I tackled the question of Kirsti's husband, Peder. Their daughter Clara married a Thomas Barstad who was a half brother to Mathias Engrebrigtson Barstad. Thomas married Peders second daughter. Mathias and Peder were in Fillmore, Minnesota at the same time and ended up in Barnes North Dakota next door to each other. The four Engrebrigtson boys mother died and they were adopted out to four seperate families. Thomas is a half brother who had a different mother. The 2nd Engrebrigtson boy was "Peter" and according to the "Nome Community History Book" in Barnes county he traveled north to the Vesteralen Islands where he met and married Jochumine Petersdatter on 24 Sep 1874. She was born in Vinge, Vesteralen Islands, Norway. Her parents born in 1827 and 1824 were born in Oksnes, Norway. Does anyone know what County this is ? Is Vinge or Oksnes a farm? or a parish?
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  19:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jokomine Pedersdatter, her parents and siblings in 1865.

Vinge = Vinje farm in Øksnes parish, Norland county.

Marriage record is #27.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/09/2012 20:00:17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article