All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 searching Anne Halvorsen family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

vking
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  21:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for family of Anne Halvorsen. Anne's death record lists DOB of Apr 2, 1853 in Norway(unfortunately not sure where), 1885 census lists her as 28 years, which may mean a year of around 1856 or so, 1900 census lists birth of Apr. 1854. Dad is listed as Halvor Halvorson and mother, Marit on Anne's death record (informant was husband, Gulbrand (Gilbert) Sorbo). Census lists immigration year of 1865 for Anne or Anna. Her family probably settled in Iowa. Gulbrand and Anne raised their family in Worth and Winnebago counties in Iowa. I have the 1880, 1885, 1895, 1900, and 1905 census for Gulbrand and Anna in Iowa.
However, I'm trying to connect Anna with the right family from Norway and who may have come over to the U.S. I have her husband, Gulbrand Sorbo family traced. They came from Valdres in Oppland in 1842 and that sure doesn't mean that was where Anna was from. Any guidance greatly appreciated. Vicky King

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  22:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1880 US census shows Gulbrand and Anna's family in Worth Co. IA -- but it lists their first two children as born in Minnesota. Have you found where Gulbrand and Anna married? That may be where her family actually resided.
Go to Top of Page

vking
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  22:45:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't found their marriage. Family Lore talks of Deer Creek in Iowa and the census says marriage year was 1875. Emmons, MN is close to MN / IA border. There was some cross-over there. Correction to 1st entry. The Sorbo's came to U.S. in 1859. Gulbrand was born in 1842.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  23:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Gulbrand Olesson Sorbo (15 Feb 1842 - 15 May 1921)

Anne Sorbo (1853-1905)

Here she is named Anna H. Anderson.
Could her father possibly be named Halvor Anderson?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  23:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you looked at this famly.

1870 United States Federal Census
Name: Anna Halvorson
Age in 1870: 7
Birth Year: abt 1863
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1870: Pleasant, Winneshiek, Iowa
Race: White
Post Office: Locust Lane
Value of real estate:
Household Members:
Name Age
Halver Halvorson 47
Rachel Halvorson 35
Anna Halvorson 7
Ole Halvorson 3
Ole O Halvorson 20
Maria Halvorson 25
Julia O Halvorson 1
Anna Halvorson 1/12
Martha Munson 21

Edited by - AntonH on 09/06/2013 23:47:47
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  00:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Anne did come to America in 1865, likely it was with her parents, so they should be counted in the 1870 census someplace.
Go to Top of Page

vking
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  03:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't found any evidence for the 'Anderson' name especially if he father was Halvor. Another interesting question arises from Gulbrand and Anna's daughter, Gina's, Baptismal certificate which lists her mother as Anne nee Gunderson. This is from Silver Lake Church in Northwood, Iowa. Now, Halvorson, Anderson, Gunderson...?? Anne's obit, of course says Halvorson and on census reports, I see her as Anna H. So, I lean toward the Halvorson. Seems like the 1870 census from Winneshiek with a birth year for Anna of around 1863 is quite late. I would have thought her to be 17 or so and she supposedly married in 1875. The interesting thing about that census from Winneshiek, however, is that Gulbrand's little sister, Ingeborg was born in Decorah / Winneshiek / Iowa in 1864. Anna and Gulbrand had to meet somewhere. But, it seems the birth year is too off for Anna.
Nice picture of Gulbrand- I have that one, too.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  07:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know of children born between 1880 & 1889 who perhaps died early? There is a bit of a gap in ages amongst the children in 1895 Minnesota Freeborn county census.

Mary b about 1878
Annie b about 1880
Christina b. about 1889
Carl b about 1891
Caroline b. about 1894

Sometimes a gap like that between Annie and Christina means that there are 2 different marriages i.e. 2 wives. Do you know what became of children Mary and Annie?
Go to Top of Page

vking
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  17:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marie(Mary) was one of my Grandma's sisters who died in 1918. I have her info and lineage. Annie I didn't know about until the census. I'm not sure of her history. Before Marie there was a Gunvor born in 1876. I am thinking she died since she disappears from the census. After Annie there was Gurina born around 1882, Carl around 1883, and Olavos around 1884. I believe Carl died (as this second Carl born in 1891 did survive). I also think Olavos probably died as he disappears. After my Grandma Caroline, there was Clara born 1896 and Gina (Evelyn) born 1899. So that would make the 11 children that the 1900 census says she had. However, Anna died in 1905 at around 51 years, so there could have been another baby after Gina. I have plans to go to Silver Lake Church to verify all these siblings of Grandma. The mother, Anne's death record is also there. I wonder if there is any mention of her parents.
i can't seem to nail down her lineage, but I just need the right clue to steer me.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  17:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1870 US Census there are only 86 girls named some version of Ann* in the United States born in Norway in the years 1854 +/- 2. Of those 86 girls there are none with a name close to Gunderson and only one with a name close to Halvorsen. Here is her census record.

1870 United States Federal Census
Name: Ann Holverson
Age in 1870: 15
Birth Year: abt 1855
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1870: Marion, Clayton, Iowa
Race: White
Post Office: Strawberry Point
Value of real estate:
Household Members:
Name Age
Ole Evenson 47
Betsey Evenson 27
Emily Evenson 9
Julia Evenson 7
Ann Evenson 6
Erven Evenson 2/12
Ann Holverson 15
Ole Nelson 25
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  18:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the usgenweb site for Worth county there is a database of marriages from the county dated 1859-1900. Here are the pre 1880s Halvorson / Halverson marriages:

*Erick Halvorson m Susan E Robenson 22 Nov 1871
Andrew Halvorson m Machen Olinea Oleson 12 July 1871
Ellef Halvorson m. Christiane K. Sagen 28 Feb 1877
*Nils Halvorson m. Caroline Kittleson 2 Apr 1874
Osten Halvorson m. Helen Torgerson 29 Mar 1872
Halvor Halvorson m. Anne Eliffson 2 May 1874
Halvor A. Halvorson m. Gunild J. Sagen 17 June 1872
Gunnel Halverson m Trogius K. Sagen 12 July 1871
Eliza Halvorson m. Nils Ryse 23 Nov 1873
Maggie Halvorson m. Lewis Morgan 2 Apr 1874
Mary Margaret Halvorson m. Elling Anderson 5 Nov 1875

The Norwegian origin for the ___K. Sagen marriages partners was Bø, Telemark.

In the 1870 census at HeritageQuest I found a family with a couple Halvor & Marit Halvorson in Christiania, Dane County, Wisconsin. Head of household was John Halvorson age 28 born Norway, Halvor Halvorson age 58 b. Norway, Marit Halvorson age 57 b. Norway and Bergit Halvorson age 16 b Wisconsin.

The Silver Lake congregation published a history for their 125th anniversary which included abstracts of the pastoral acts of the congregation. There are no full dates for any act but they are grouped in the order they were found in the registers by year. Also not included are the faddernes (the godparents/ witnesses) for the baptisms. Marriages are only recorded under their presumed married (that is the husband's surname) name. One of the values to you, since you need clues, would be knowing who the faddernes are for each of Anne's children's baptisms since they are likely relatives or friends. And if you are energetic and have good access to the records you might also look for Anne standing as faddernes for other folks' children's baptisms for the same reason--she's a friend or relative.

* These entries carried in the Silver Lake abstract, her name as Synnova and her name as Karoline
Other Halvorson nuptials from the 1870s in the Silver Lake abstract:
1870 Helge & Ingeborg Hoverson
1872 Jrian sic & Aage Halvorsen
1876 Svenning & Ingri Halvorsen

Even though it appears that Anne and Gulbrand married elsewhere, it appears most of the children were baptized at Silver Lake including Gunvor. There is also a funeral for a Gunduar Sorbu (that is how Sorbo is spelled in most entries) in the latter part of 1882. There is also a funeral for a Halvor Halvorson in 1867. It is also probable that the early entries in the registers were in Norwegian.

There is a database of Worth County, Iowa baptisms at the digitalarkivet:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=22&filnamn=chiaworb&medbilete=&sokpostnr=51#a0

If you live a close distance to the church you may want to drive to view. However if you have a public library near you, you may be able to study more in depth on microfilm, if the records have been filmed and are available through the ELCA archives. And one other option is the ELCA databases at archives.org via subscription.

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/06/2013 19:48:27
Go to Top of Page

vking
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  19:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Lots of info! Yes, I have the Silver Lake Anniversary book that I got from one of the Sorbo Reunions. I haven't looked at it for awhile. I will have to study it again. Silver Lake is certainly close enough to go there. I was there many years ago, not knowing what to look for.

I will have to hunt for the wedding of Gulbrand (Gilbert) Olesson Sorbo(u). Going after his name might be easier than hers. The census says 1875 for wedding year ,so I don't believe that would be too far off give or take a couple. Not sure where Gulbrand was prior to marriage. He didn't marry until his 30's, so he must have been out on his own for a spell before marrying Anne. His parents, Ole and Gunvor Sorbo were for the most part in Worth County, Iowa, I believe.

Thank you all for your efforts. You're wonderful!

Vicky

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  20:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A wild shot of course, but in the house next door to Anne in 1880 is a girl Kristine Halvorsen (20), working as a housekeeper for a widow Emma Knudsen (70) and her son K. J. Knudsen (26).

Could Kristine possibly be a sister of Anne? The census says she is born about 1860 in Norway. Anne also had a daughter Christina b. about 1889.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

vking
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  23:45:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always possible, Jan. I imagine Anne perhaps worked for someone as domestic servant prior to marriage also. Just possibilities. Need to find Gulbrand around 1970 and then look close for Anne!
Go to Top of Page

vking
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  00:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry- I mean Gulbrand around 1870. I did find a Gulbrand Olsen and Anne in Bancroft / Freeborn / MN. Didn't think they were together yet, but.....??
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  00:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vking

Need to find Gulbrand around 1970 and then look close for Anne!

This page says that his parents first settled first near Decorah, Winneshiek County, Iowa, and later moved to Silver Lake Township, Worth County, Iowa.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article