All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Lars Larsen Sønderengen abt 1752-1835
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  23:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to understand some of the ins & outs of records in the new probate database. Anybody with clarifying information invited to respond, please:

Lars Larsen Sønderengen’s death on 10 Sept 1835 aged 83 years, “huusmand”, precipitated this guardianship record for the children of Ole Larsen & Mari Jonsdatter.

Found under "Værgemaal" at the very bottom of the left column on the left hand page 254, continuing to the left column on the right hand page 255:

Source information: Buskerud county, Ringerike sorenskriveri, Skifteutlodningsprotokoll 1 (Hbd 0001), 1828-1841, oppb: Statsarkivet i Kongsberg.
Permanent page-link: http://arkivverket.no/URN:sk_read/25563/258/?size=medium&mode=0

Ole Larsen’s death occurred between 1827 (when the last child Engebret was conceived) and 1831 (when the oldest child Johanne is confirmed and he is described as “afgaang” /departed). Why did Ole’s death/departure not precipitate a guardianship proceeding for these children before 1835? Is the correct assumption that Lars Larsen Sønderengen is the father of Ole Larsen, or some other relative of Ole Larsen?

As sometimes found in American records in the 1800s a woman is not considered to be an adequate guardian of her children’s interests and another, meaning a man, of course, will be appointed. Mari Jonsdatter was still alive, living until 1862, is a woman not considered adequate to act on behalf of her own children in Norway or is there something else going on?

In another apparent gender difference amongst the children each of the boys are listed with 12.2.4 8/11 and each of the girls are listed with 6.1.2 4/11. Is this measurement a value of their care or what they might be receiving from the estate--provided that a huusmand can have an estate? What do those numbers represent?

And a Margit Syversdatter is mentioned in a couple of places with a descriptor that apparently ends with what I think is the word enke. Is she the widow or not?

Takk for hjelpa!

Edited by - jkmarler on 12/07/2013 23:59:29

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  00:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With regards to the distribution of property, for many years the law provided that a son would inherit twice as much as a daughter. This did not change until 1854 when the law was changed to provide for equal division between brother and sister.

I would have assumed that the woman was somehow unable to care for the children.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  01:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There must be some differing degrees of inheritances. I've heard that the eldest son inherited "everything" and rest were given short shrift. Perhaps that practice relates to land rather than other assets or cash? Don't know....But thanks for information all the same.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  02:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took that information from an article written by a friend of mine. He was a Norwegian lawyer whose hobby is/was genealogy. You might recognize his website.
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/skifter.html
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  03:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, indeed I do, I should have thought looking at it. But certainly covers enough of the questions I have about the general records. Mange takk.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article