All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Anders Michelsen Solvi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SandraSeverson

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  15:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find the death of Anders Michelsen Solvi. I believe he was born in Sogndal in 1762. Married to Marta Arnesdatter Olnes. They had a daughter Kari Andersdtr Solvi Olnes, born in 1797. In looking in the DigitalArkivet I am not sure what words would indicate a death. Would appreciate any help I could get in how to find the death of Anders. I could not find him in the 1801 census but I think I found Marta but name spelled slightly different.

Edited by - SandraSeverson on 13/07/2013 15:17:28

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  15:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kari was born out of wedlock ca. 1797 in Sogndal, Sogn og Fjordane. So if her parents married it would have been later. Have you searched for a marriage record?

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=11658&idx_id=11658&uid=ny&idx_side=-18

In 1801 her mother is married to a Peder Iversen and they reside on the 'Ølnæss' farm.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=49&filnamn=f18011420&gardpostnr=4&sokefelt=skjul

Go to Top of Page

SandraSeverson

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  16:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not looked for a marriage yet. In Kari's birth record what word tells me that she was born out of wedlock? Just trying to understand all these Norwegian records when I don't know any Norwegian. I feel lucky that I recognized her birth. I have used some Norwegian to English dictionaries on line but don't usually find the translation I am looking for. Thank you for your help. It gave me a direction to go in.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  16:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The word right above her name. From practice you would also learn that when the mother's name is listed first in a birth/baptism record that is usually a clue that the birth is out of wedlock.

http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na20.html
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

There does appear to be a Solvi farm in nearby Hafslo -- but WHERE and WHEN her father died would be a much bigger question. Not knowing the right area to look in is a tremendous handicap to finding that. It is POSSIBLE that the published history/genealogy of the Solvi farm in Hafslo MIGHT have some notation of that... or not.
Go to Top of Page

SandraSeverson

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  16:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would the history/genealogy be something I could find at the Norwegian American Geneaological Center and Naeseth Library located in Madison, Wisconsin. I am a member there and have been there to do some research on Hundere Farm in Sogn. They are very helpful and enjoy going there but it is quite a distance from where I live. I will give them a call next week. Thank you for your help.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  17:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if that center would have that in their holdings. I've never visited and have also never had occasion to look for any online listing of what they have.

The online catalog of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City lists the book as "Hafslo bygd og ætter" by Jon Laberg. Their catalog currently lists their copy as 'missing'.

WorldCat lists the book as on the shelves of Concordia College Library (MN), St Olaf College (MN), the US Library of Congress, and the Seattle Public Library (WA). You could check about Inter-Library Loan through your local public library. Be sure to have a good Norwegian-English dictionary -- these books are written in Norwegian.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/bygdebok.html

Go to Top of Page

SandraSeverson

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  17:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. Will make some calls on Monday.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  18:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like Anders Michelsen, Solvi is still living at Solvi in 1801. He was a servant 31 years of age.

The 1801 census for Maritha says she had been married before and had a child Christi Olsdatter from that marriage.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  23:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

The 1801 census for Maritha says she had been married before and had a child Christi Olsdatter from that marriage.

Marta Arnesdr Selseng married Ole Torsteinsen Ølnes on 12 Nov 1793.
Ole Torsteinsen Ølnes died 20 Sep 1795.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 13/07/2013 23:36:42
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 :  00:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Anders Michelsen was born in Stedje subparish in Sogndal 1771, bap. August 8.
Parents; Michel Michelsen Aaspesætte and Synneve Jensdatter Solvi.
Right page 2. bap. from bottom.Nom (named) Anders 8. augusti

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

SandraSeverson

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 :  02:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am confused. I am trying to find the parentage of Marith Ellingsdatter Fladland. As far as I know her parents were Elling Olsen Fladland and Kari Andersdatter Olnes. The information came from a book of which I only have a copy of 2 pages. Page 70 and 71. At the top of the pages it says Ornen 1844. I know the O has a slash thru it but my tablet does give me that option. Marith is number 869, Elling is number 866 and Kari Andersdatter is 867. It says the parents of Kari Andersdattter Olnes(slash thru O) born Jan 14, 1797, are Anders Michelsen Solvi and Martha Arnesdatter Olnes(slash thru O). I am trying to find supporting info in the Digital Archives. But I am having a hard time. Sorry this is so confusing to me.

I know Elling Olsen Fladland was from Sogn. Not sure of where Kari Andersdatter Olnes or her parents were from.

Thanks to anyone who has helped me on this.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 :  04:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually what you asked for was

quote:
I am trying to find the death of Anders Michelsen Solvi. I believe he was born in Sogndal in 1762. Married to Marta Arnesdatter Olnes.

Then interest seemed to shift to the daughter Kari because I had to check and found that her parents were not married to each other.

I gave you a link to the scanned copy of the original birth/baptism record of Kari Andersdtr (1797) in a message above - that is the best supporting evidence of who her parents were possible.

You are now suddenly bringing up a Marith Ellingsdtr from a farm called 'Fladland'. You say you want to find per parentage and then in the next sentence you list who her parents were. This doesn't make much sense and is now confusing me.

What book are the pages from? That would be the first thing to learn.
Go to Top of Page

SandraSeverson

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 :  06:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins: I can see why I confused you. I see the birth of Kari. In my last post I was trying to give the background leading to Anders Michelsen Solvi. I was writing what II did know per the 1844 pages. I was trying to find all the supporting records leading back to Anders including his birth etc.
I put the other information in my post to say what I did know from Marith back to her grandfather Anders Michelsen. Guess l made things worse. All I know about the pages is that at the top it said Ornen 1844. They are pages I got at the Norwegian Center but being very new at this I didn't get the actual name of the book. I am very sorry about the confusion. You gave me very good links that I have bookmarked so I can refer to them as I need to. And the info about Kari was something I didn't know. So I thank you for that too. Hope this clears up the confusion. So in a nutshell, I was trying to find the actual Archive records regarding Anders Michelsen Solvi.

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 :  06:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To create a Norwegian letter that is not offered on your keyboard, simply copy and paste the letter. Ø ø Æ æ Å å

Reference to "Ørnen" in 1844 in a book must refer to the ship on which some of the family traveled to America:

"FLADLAND, Peder E
MN 7th Inf Co G. Residence: Pine Island, Goodhue County, Minnesota. Born 8 May 1842 in Sogndal, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway, son of Elling Olsen Fladland and Kari Andersdatter Ølnes. Came to America on the ship “Ørnen”, out of Bergen and arriving at New York on 2 Aug 1844. Civil War: Age 21. Sources: (MINN p348) (MCIW p381) (MCIW p694) (Ulvestad p282) (Naeseth ’44-872) “Fladland, Peder Ellingsen”
http://vesterheim.org/CivilWar/db/f/fla/002276.html

Edited by - JaneC on 14/07/2013 08:14:25
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 :  09:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elling Olsen, Fladland and Kari Andersdatter moved out of Sogndal 1844 and emigrated to America, See #7-13 far right.
The children were
Ole, Marith, Kari, Christi and Peder.

Elling Olsen, his parents Ole Nielsen and Kari Ellingsdatter in 1801.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 14/07/2013 09:58:35
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 :  10:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marith (actually baptized Martha) was born Jan 29 1830, see #19. Her parents were Elling Olsen and Kari Andersdatter, Fladland.

Elling and Kari was married June 5 1828, see #9 (Kari is here wrongly named Olsdatter).
The same mistake is when their first child Ole was baptized, see #96.

Einar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article