All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Understanding Sigdal 1770 probate record
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marlys Nelson
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2013 :  21:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would appreciate someone with good eyes to interpret the
probate of Knud Reijersen. Would just like the highlights as to who gets what and who goes where.
http://arkivverket.no/URN:sk_read/23818/356/?size=bigger&mode=0
2nd page 1/3 from bottom.
Thank you,
Gene Nelson

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  14:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marlys Nelson

Would just like the highlights as to who gets what and who goes where.
Thank you,
Gene Nelson

I do not read this old language, sorry
But I can do my best to translate the headline and try to give you the names of the children.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 16/07/2013 14:44:27
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  16:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The meeting in connection with the probate was on July 27. 1770 in Sigdal parish "anordnede" performed and held in Hovland Tingstue.
Tingstue (court-house) was where all legal actions in the parish was held. In Sigdal 1770 the court-house was on farm Hovland.

The tree names before Knud Reyersen is mentioned;
Niels Gren, Anders Jochstad and Niels Christensen Gren was most likely the witnesses.

.....Knud Reyersen on farm Moen in Sigdal..............Ingeborg Knudsdatter (1 year 20 weeks and 2 days)...Reyer Knudsen 14 years................Knud Knudsen 10 years...........Anne Knudsdatter 20 years, home and unmarried..........Astri Knudsdatter .....Torvald Kittelsen ?? (her husband?)...Elyen Knudsdatter.....Even Eyelsen (husband?) on farm Reyersrud in Eggedal.

Then follows the distribution to the children.
Farms mentioned; Berget in Eggedal, Engen in Eggedal, Engebret Knudsen on farm Aasland in Eggedal, fam Moen.'
Last section contents figurs, value or part in a farm etc.

Not much to contribute with, but so is genealogy sometimes.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 16/07/2013 20:42:40
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  17:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Astri Knudsdatter is mentioned twice. Once at the end of the 7th line as daughter "yngfr." with the age of 7 years and the second time as part of a phrase that included Engebret Knudson on the end of line 14 that continues on line 15 as "paa gaarden Aasland."

Edited by - jkmarler on 16/07/2013 18:03:18
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  18:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not the easiest writing to read, however what I find is: Niels Green was lensmann (sherrif) - Anders Jochstad and Niels Christensen, Green was the witnesses.

Ingeborg Knudsdatter was his wife and they had 4 children 2 boys and 2 girls, the oldest son Rejer Knudsen was 14 years old, the second and youngest son Knud Knudsen was 10 years. The oldest daughet Anne Knusdatter was 20 yeasr and not married, the second and youngest daugter was Astri Knudsdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 16/07/2013 20:21:18
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  18:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right Einar, Niels was from Jokstad.
I hang up in the Hovland name

Very diff. to read, small and indistinct letters.
This probate contents a lot of info.

I was hunting in the "Greenskogen" Green forest in the -60s.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  20:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guardian for Rejer Knudsen was Even Rejersen, Desserud in Eggedal.
Guardian for Knud Knudsen was Lars Nielsen, Berget in Eggedal.
Guardian for Anne Knudsdatter was Torjus Syversen, Engen in Eggedal.
Guardian for Astri Knudsdatter was Engebret Knudsen, Aasland in Eggedal.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 17/07/2013 08:03:03
Go to Top of Page

Marlys Nelson
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2013 :  22:55:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, I want to thank those above that were brave enough to tackle reading the probate.
The words were small and difficult to make out. However, from what is stated and
what I know about the family, I understand the following:
Knut Reidarsen (f. Dec 1724) on Besserud married Ingeborg Knutsdtr. (f. May 1728) on
Teige in Sept. 1749. They had eight children – four of which lived.
1. Reidar (f. Feb 1750-d. Jul 1751), 2. Anne (f. Feb 1752), 3. Reidar (f. Abt 1754),
4. Knut (f. Jan 1757-d. Jan 1759), 5. Knut (f. Jan 1760-d. May 1760), 6. Knut (f.
Jul 1761), 7.Astrie (f. Jan 1764), 8. Barbro (f. Feb 1769-d. May 1770)
I guess it seems strange that even while their mother Ingeborg was still living, the four
living children were given guardians. Maybe their mother was ill at the time even
though she married about a year later.
1. Reidar’s (Rejer) guardian was his father’s brother, Eivind Reidarsen Besserud who was born abt. 1719.
2. Knut’s guardian was Lars Nielsen Berget. It turns out that Knut’s mother,
Ingeborg, had a brother, Lars Knutson Teige who married enke Ingeborg Ellevsdtr. Berget. They had a daughter Astrid whose second marriage was to Lars Nielsen Jellum. Thus it appears that Knut’s guardian is a cousin.
3. Anne’s guardian was Torjus Ivarsen Engan who is the husband of Ingeborg
Knutsdtr.’s sister Ragnild Knutsdtr. Teige (f. Abt 1723).
4. Astri’s guardian was Engebret Knutsen Åsland (f. abt 1732) who is Ingeborg’s
brother.
Thus it appears all the guardians are part of the Ingeborg’s (the mother) family.
My question now, where did Astri go from here?
Thanks again everybody for your help.
Gene Nelson
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2013 :  00:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Astri was ca 15 when her father Knud died 1770, born ca 1755.

She lived 1792 if she still was in Sigdal/Eggedal.

A shot in the dark;
Astri Knudsdatter married Anders Nielsen Ørpen in Krødsherad Oct. 18. 1782.
In 1801 they lived on farm Ringnes in Krødsherad as cottagers with land with a son and three daughters..
This Astri was 46, born ca 1755.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Marlys Nelson
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2013 :  18:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Kåre. However, the Astri I am looking for was married on 30 May 1790 in Eggedal to a Nils Larsen.
Buskerud county, Sigdal, Parish register (official) nr. 2 (1778-1792), Marriage records 1785-1790, page 367-368.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8502&idx_id=8502&uid=ny&idx_side=-164

She and Nils Larsen had a son Knut born Jan 1794 on Hougeneje, Eggedal. He died 13 Mar 1864 on Øvre Røedseje, Lier.
Buskerud county, Sigdal, Parish register (official) nr. 3 (1793-1811), Birth and baptism records 1794, page 15-16.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8503&idx_id=8503&uid=ny&idx_side=-9

They had a second son, Nils, born Jan 1797 on Skadelandeje, Eggedal. He died Mar 1889 on Hestemyr, Lier.
Buskerud county, Sigdal, Parish register (official) nr. 3 (1793-1811), Birth and baptism records 1795-1797, page 47-48.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8503&idx_id=8503&uid=ny&idx_side=-25

In about 1800 they moved to Bakkemehren (Hestemyr BNR. 23) in Lier as noted in the Lier Bydgebok. States Nils born abt
1750 and Astri abt 1764. The 1801 census for Lier states Nils age as 51 and Astri's age as 37.
The reason I started to look for Astri in the Eggedal area and eventually to Reidar Knutsen is that its close to the birth
place of her first two children. She has 3 more born in Lier. (1)Ingeborg born on Jul 1803, dies in Sep 1804. (2)Lars born
on Jun 1805 and dies Aug 1805. (3)Lars born on Sep 1806. All born on Mehren in Lier.

Reidar Knutsen's daughter Astri was born in 1763 as stated on page 90 of the new Sigdal bygdebok or page 659 of
the old bok. So she was (is) a good candidate. However, putting the puzzel together is difficult due to lack of info
during that period.

And the next question is - who is Nils Larson?
Thanks, Gene Nelson
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2013 :  20:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marlys Nelson

First, I guess it seems strange that even while their mother Ingeborg was still living, the four
living children were given guardians. Maybe their mother was ill at the time even
though she married about a year later.

The reason the four children were given guardians were:

The mother Ingeborg was only owner of the farm until she remarried, therefore it was created guardiands for minor children.
The cause was if the mother remarried it was her new husband that owned the farm, but children from her first marraige were heirs to the farm from the late father and a guardian´s task was to see that this was carried out.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article