All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Search for my grandfather
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2013 :  18:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for info on departure(Norway), arrival (NYC) and ship for my grandfather, Jens O (Olsen?) Tang. He was born 28 Apr1862 in Hafslo Co,Norway and emigrated on/about Mar 1882. He eventually settled in Clay Co, Minnesota. He had three sisters who may have come at same time or later; (1) Anna, (2) Sophie,(3) Mary (not sure of exact names).

Jens parents could be Ole Jensen Tang Smedegaard (father) and Anna Olsdatter Tang (mother).

Thanks.
Doug

DougT

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2013 :  18:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
- Jens Olsen Tang b. 1862, dep. Bergen March 10. 1882, Alan line
- Synneve Olsdatter Tang dep. Bergen 1882 with Jens.
- Anne Olsdatter Tang b. 1865, dep. Bergen Mai 8. 1884, American line
- Sofie Olsdatter Tang b. 1863 dep. Bergen March 22. 1895, Cunard Line
The 3/4? sister was Britha b. 1868, no em. rec. found on her.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 26/07/2013 18:51:15
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2013 :  18:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Tang was Tangstræ,
The father Ole Jensen Smedegaard, Cottager and tree shoe-maker and family on Tangstræ 1875

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 26/07/2013 18:53:51
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2013 :  21:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens parents was Ole Jensen and Anna Olsdatter, Alme, see bapt record #37.

The parents were married May 13 1856, see #3, Ole Jensen was born at Løengen or Smedegaard, his father was Jens Olsen. Anna Olsdatter was born at a place under Tang and her father was Ole Olsen.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 27/07/2013 20:38:15
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2013 :  22:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks!!! It will take me some time to follow up on this quick and valuable info. I don't read Norwegian so takes me awhile to translate to get basic info. I'm sure I will have more questions.

1. I received error messages when I attempted to open link #37 (bapt record).

2.. Am I correct that "born at a place under Smedegaarg (Tang, Tangstrae)" means "on the farm named" Smedegaard (Tang, Tangstrae)? Does the name "Ole Jensen Smedegaard" means Ole son of Jens born on the farm name Smedegaard (at Løengen)?

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2013 :  23:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Einar will fix the link to #37.
Tang was a abbr. for Tangtræ 1875, probably called Tang in the every day speech.

In 1910 the farm was called Tang.
Jens mother Anne Olsdatter occ. "Husmandskone" Cottager-wife, lived there as widow with her daughter Britha born 1866, she helped her mother in the house.

Ole Jensen (the father) was born on Løengen "el" or? Smedegaard.
Hmmmmm, it seems like he or the priest was not sure on which farm he was born, but used as name Ole Jensen Smedegaard, the mother Anne Olsdatter was from Tang and in 1910 she was named Anne Olsdatter Tang.

Ole Jensen and Anna Olsdatter was on Smedegaard with 4 children 1865

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 27/07/2013 00:46:02
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2013 :  20:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Link #37 is now corrected.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 27/07/2013 20:36:51
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2013 :  21:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Einar- I was able to open #37...thanks.

1. Is #37 a birth or bapt record? You referred to it as a bapt record, but the only date shown is 28 Apr 1862 which is the date of birth for Jens Tang.

2. Is there a source that gives the translation (English) for the headings that appear in the various types of church records? I am having a hard time reading/translating some.

3. I cannot make out the exact names of persons listed. Parents godparents,,? Can you help translate for me.

4. As I understand it, the church records would be maintained in a "main parish" which would be "Hafslo" . Is there is also a "local parish" (actual church) and are these located in specific towns/communities? I'm not sure I'm asking this correctly.

5. Was the "Tang" farm (#55) a "main farm" (matrikkelgader), a subdivision (bruk), or a "cotter"? The Census (1865,1910) seems to indicate they were the owner?

Thanks once again for helping.

DougT
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2013 :  22:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. In this case the baptismal record gives both the date for birth, 28 April and the date for baptism in the church, here "do." meaning same date as the record above being 4 Mai in Hafslo Church.

2. You may find this useful, link.

3. Parents Cottager Ole Jensen and wife Anna Olsdatter at Alme.
Godparents: Bachelor Johannes Hermundsen, wife Christiane Jensdatter, Alme, maiden Marie Hermundsdatter, Lomheim, Peder Anderen, Alme, bachelor Lars Olsen, Tang.

4. In the churchbooks for Hafslo local parish church is indicated together with the baptism date, example H (Hafslo), U (Urnes), F (Fet).

5. I don't have any general answer to this question, sorry.
Info in censuses and churchbooks could be used in each case.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2013 :  15:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Einar

The link is very helpful and , and thanks for translating the names!

Under the date 4 May (4 Mai) in entry No. 36 there are two letters . The 1st is an H (Hafslo), but don't understand the second. The second letter seems to be be the same for all bapt dates . Does this stand for "parish?' H(Hafslo) Parish, F(Fet) Parish, U(Urnes) Parish?

No need to apologize for my Tang farm question. Getting 4/5 is a pretty good batting average.

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2013 :  19:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iver Nielsen´s Tang was a main farm, the other tang farms were cottagers.
Difficult words to translate.
Matrikkel is another word for Farm register (Cadastre) and "Skylda" (Value) accounting for 1/6 of the farm`s annual return formed the basis for purchase and sale of a farm or by inheritance and formed the basis for taxation.

Until 1838 the value was estimated in hides, calfskin, grain, butter etc.
One hide was valued to 4 Daler.
One Laup buttter, 15,4 Kg was valued to 3 Daler.
Ca 7 Kg grain was valued 3 Daler
Some cultivars varying from district to district, and varied over the centuries.
This Daler was named Skylddaler. One Skylddaler was 5 Ort and one Ort was 24 Shilling.

Fantastic nice handwriting.
Matrikkel 1838 for Hafslo.

Northern Bergenhuus county, Sogn´s Bailiff district, Solvorn (in Luster municipality) juridical district, Hafslo "Præstegjeld" Parish.
Tang is farm nr 22....36 (Old Matrikkel nr) Tang......51 (new Matrikkel nr.) Owner/User Iver Nielsen....... - 1 2 (old measurement where the value was estimated in "Smør" Butter..... (New value in Daler, Ort and Shilling) 6 Daler 4 Ort and 1 Shilling)...(Sum) 6 Daler 4 Ort and 1 Shilling

Iver Nielsen Tang also farmed nr 9; Ugulsvik (Veitastrond subparish, Hafslo)

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 31/07/2013 21:07:52
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2013 :  19:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Kåre

This is not handwriting, but printed letters.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2013 :  20:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Kåre

This is not handwriting, but printed letters.

Jan Peter

Really, that explain the nice letters

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2013 :  23:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All,

These exchanges (and links) have been provided a wealth of info to help me "fill in the gaps" in my Norwegian heritage. I feel comfortable attempting to find and decipher church and census records. I cannot thank you all enough for your efforts and time. I hope my questions do not become burdensome.

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  00:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Kåre (all),

Kåre,

1. Were "cottagers" considered "tenet" farmers (renters from main farm) or worked for (and paid by ) the main farm , but given (rented) a house (cottage) ?

2. Could more than one Tang family be on same Tang (cottager) farm or farms? For example, could Jens, g parents (paternal or maternal), uncles, etc. be living on the same farm (Tang).
The 1865 census shows only 6 people. In other words, how would you know there were more than one direct descendents (gg parents, ..) living on the main Tang farm (s) or how to find where they were originally from (county, municipality, parish, farm)? I believe I have found a number of names "Tang" in the 1801 (1838?) census.

Doug

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  02:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a link to a good article about the situation for tenant farmers and the history of the system. The structure of the relationship and the may be quite different from area to area and from individual to individual.
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na27.html

The people living on a Tang farm in 1865 or 1801 - perhaps in several different houses or residences there - would not be named Tang. They might use that farm name (address) as part of their identification but it was not their name. So your question is confusing. Tang family?
Online study material to learn about Norwegian naming practices and patterns:
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na12.html
http://www.nndata.no/home/jborgos/names.htm
http://www.norwayheritage.com/norwegian-names.htm
http://www.nndata.no/home/jborgos/farms.htm

If there are relationship words on a census that you do not understand try using any of the online lists of translated words - here are a few -
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/census_abbreviations.html
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na17.html

The only way you can learn who was related to any others is to do the research - one step at a time. That is the only way you will know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article