All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Search for my grandfather
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  10:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good explonation Hopkins.

Only 4 familes lived on the 4 Tang/Tangstræ farms in 1865, three of them, Tangstræ, were cottager farms and these could feed only 2-3 cows.

Only Iver Nielsen`s Tang in the 1838 Matrikkel was big enough to feed more than one family with 4 horses,18 big cattle, 50 cheeps and 5 pigs, but only his family lived there.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 01/08/2013 10:01:51
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  12:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tang is located at lake Hafslo "Hafslovatnet" to the left at the small headland before/in front of the bay.
In the background is the Lusterfjord where the em. started on the journey to Bergen link
Tang means "Tange" headland.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 04/08/2013 19:57:38
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  00:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful picture of the "Tang" farm setting. Meaning of Tang = headland seems appropriate,

Jane- Your response seems to have been deleted. Yes, I am interested in contacting any known relatives, that could provide info.

Hopkins- Thanks for references! Sorry , I meant Tang farm (not Tang family), and sorry to appear that I am going too fast. I do try to take "one-step-at-a-time", but the info comes fast and is all inter-related. I do read all the material from the links provided (and then some). Sometimes I forget when I ask questions. With all the excellent help I have received, I believe I can complete an important item in my "bucket-list" that I started about 10 years ago (I'm now 75), but did not pursue (many reasons). Thanks again, to all who weigh in.

I am trying to resolve some uncertainties about the census data that was provided for for my gg parents in 1865 (Smedegaard farm) and 1875 (Tangstre) ... both links provided before. Most important is that two of Jens Olsen Tang's (my g father) sisters ....Martha Olsdtr (f. about 1855) and Sonneva/Synneve (f. about 1859) appear in the 1865 census, but not 1875. Martha was 10 in 1865, so could have died before 1875. I will check the church records when I have time. Sonneva /Synneve was cited (Kåarto) as emigrating (10 Mar 1885) with Jens Olsen Tang . I assume that in the 1875 census that Britha Olsdtr (Tangstre) (f.1868), Knud Olsen (Tangstre)(f. 1871), and Soffie Olsdgr (Tangstre)(f. 1873) were three children born to Ole and Anna between 1865 and 1875 (Tangstre farm). I have found an arrival record (Ellis Island) for "Sophie O. Tang" (doa US 8Apr 1875; ship Umbria (Cunard) from Liverpool & Queenstown). This closely matches the info provided by Kåarto for Sofie (Sofie Olsdatter Tang b. 1863 dep. Bergen March 22. 1895, Cunard Line). I have not been able to track the emigration of Jens Olsen Tang (Tangstre) and his sister, Sonneva/Synneve , or his other sister Anne (Anne Olsdatter Tang b. 1865, dep. Bergen Mai 8. 1884, American line).

My wife and I leaving tomorrow for Minnesota to visit friends/ relatives (mother's side), where I plan to attempt to get some information on my mother's (Swedish) side.

Thanks again to all.

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  02:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Martha" Oldtr and her sister "Sonneva/Synneve" would be of age in 1875 to be living elsewhere -- probably working for another farm. They should have been confirmed and that is a point where they may move away from their parents and likely work as servants for others. This was a common thing and I've seen it happen repeatedly in my own research of rural Norwegian families.

Have you learned to use the databases of emigrants leaving from the various ports of Norway? These databases are available at the Digitalarkivet website.

A POSSIBLE Synneva Olsdtr in the 1875 census - http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1875&knr=1425&kenr=003&bnr=0081&lnr=00
Obviously "Martha" Olsdtr in the 1875 census, no doubt - http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1875&knr=1425&kenr=002&bnr=0030&lnr=00

I've been tracking Swedish ancestors for my spouse's family. The most important items to collect if you can are WHERE in Sweden they were from (a parish name can save you years of work), what name(s) they were ever known to use, when born and when emigrated from Sweden. I've discovered Swedish parish records are easily accessed at the local LDS Family History Center. I sit down and use them at least once a week at the center and haven't been struck by lightning yet! My grandmother Hanson always warned me.... and would sing a little tune about chasing Swedes through the weeds...

Good luck in Minnesota.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  02:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Persons registered as leaving through port of Bergen whose father's given name started with 'Ol', who mentioned Tang as a prior residence and who gave info as having been born in Hafslo. The info included in the emigrant register after the date leaving were -- Førenamn, Farsnamn, Etternamn, Kjønn, Stand, Yrke, Fødd år, Alder, Fødestad, Bustad, Billett, Merknad Linje

1880 Mai 5 -- Niels, Olsen, Tang, m, gift, 1814, 66, Hafslo, Hafslo, , , Anker Linie,
1882 Mars 10 -- Jens, Olsen, Tang, m, ugift, 1863, 19, Hafslo, Hafslo, , Tjenestedreng, Allan Linie
1882 Mars 10 -- Synneva, Olsdatr, Tang, f, ugift, 1867, 15, Hafslo, Haflso, , Indersts Datter, Allan Linie
1884 Mai 8 -- Anne, Olsdatr, Tang, f, ugift, 1865, 19, Hafslo, Hafslo, prp, Husm's Datter, American Line
1895 Mars 22 -- Sofie, Olsdatter, Tang, f, ug, Husmdtr, 1872, 23, Hafslo, Hafslo, , Cunard
1904 Mai 5 -- Marie, Olsdtr, Tang, f, ug, Tjpige, 1876, 28, Hafslo, Hafslo, , Amerikan pp

http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

Edited by - Hopkins on 03/08/2013 03:04:58
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  04:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins: Thanks for info about "Martha" Oldtr and her sister "Sonneva/Synneve". I will check confirmation records for both. I have been learning how to use all the digital databases.

The emigration records look promising . I will check to see if they show an intermediate destination ((Hull) and final (New York, Canada, ,,,). My understanding is that most emigrants went by a "feeder line to Hull, UK, then to Liverpool (rail). and then to US or elsewhere (e.g. by Allan, American, Gunard, ..). My understanding is that they arrived New York, but I cannot seem to locate using Ellis Island (or other NYC ports)

My g mother Anna Elizabeth Johnson was born (19 Apr 1890 ) in Dalsland (Dals-Ed?), came to US in 1905-06, then to Michigan, Duluth Minn, and finally Minneapolis. Brothers were Alfred, Oluf (Olaf), Fred: sisters Ester, ...? She supposedly arrived in port of New York, but I can't locate. I have good records from about 1910.

As a child visiting my g mother in Minneapolis I remember family gatherings when all were speaking English, then suddenly switch to Swedish. We always thought they were now gossiping or telling off-color jokes.

Your g mother Nelson's saying about chasing Swedes through the weeds brought back fond memories. My g mother and others (some Norwegian) would add "and 10.000 Norwegians chasing after them."

DougT
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  05:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correction: I meant to say :"10, 000 Swedes went through the weeds (at the battle of Copenhagen) and chased by one Norwegian."

DougT
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  07:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - I deleted the comment because I didn't have time to research the needed sources for the connections. I'll go ahead and post what I've found to start.

I found a family tree on Ancestry.com for June, daughter of Ella Fossum (married name Kingsley), daughter of Anna Tang (married Olaf Fossum) so the tree creator is a likely cousin of yours. Another family tree here: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/M723-89J
summary of info:
Anna Tang
birth: 25 March 1865 Hafslo, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
married Olaf Olson Furuknappen / Fossum
death: 16 July 1926 Staples, Todd, Minnesota, USA
Anna's parents Ole Jensen Smedegaard and Anna Olsdatter Tang

1895 Minnesota state census
Lake Park Village, Becker, Minnesota
Olaf O Furnknappen 31y Norway
Annie Furnknappen 31y Norway <----------
Oscar Furnknappen 4y Minn
Annie Furnknappen 5y Minn
Helmina Furnknappen 2y Minn
Arnt Furnknappen 9m Minn
Sofia Tang 22y Norway <---------------

Possible parents of the above Olaf
Ole Furnknappen M 56y Norway
Annie Furnknappen F 60y Norway
Petter Furnknappen M 24y Minn
Theodore Furnknappen M 17y Minn

The name changes to Fossum.
Children's records show mother's name Tang (for example see Ella birth record at Minnesota Historical Society website) and also suggest Furuknappen = Fossum (e.g. Oscar Alfred Fossum World War I draft reg born 1891 in Lake Park, Becker, MN). The name change may be family knowledge rather than an online record.

Lake Park Village, Becker, Minnesota
Olaf Fossum 36 born Feb 1864 Norway to USA 1867
Annie Fossum 36 born Mar 1864 Norway married about 1889 to USA 1884 <-------
Annie Sofie Fossum 11 Minnesota
Oscar Alfr Fossum 9 Minnesota
Helmina Fossum 7 Minnesota
Aent Oliver Fossum 5 Minnesota
Robert Ber Fossum 4 Minnesota
Ruth Ocdelia Fossum 2 Minnesota

1910 in Staples, Todd, Minnesota Anna Fossum born 1864 to USA 1884 (see Family Search)

Staples, Todd, Minnesota
Oluf Fossum 55 Norway to USA 1866
Anne Fossum 54 Norway to USA 1884 <---------
Bennard R Fossum 23 Minnesota
Ruth O Fossum 21 Minnesota
Elvina C Fossum 19 Minnesota
Ella M Fossum 17 Minnesota
Anneta O Fossum 16 Minnesota

Anna died 1926

Staples, Todd, Minnesota
Olaf Fossum 66 widowed Norway to USA 1866
Benard R Fossum 33 son Minnesota
Ella M Fossum 27 daughter Minnesota - [ married Kenneth Kingsley, daughter June]

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=40119931

See Emigrants List this website, Ole Furuknappen (Olaf's father) plus 5 family members emigrating 1866

We haven't posted records for Jens Olsen Tang but if I remember correctly he lived in Lake Park Village, Becker, Minnesota before moving to Clay County.

I didn't find the sisters getting married in the Minnesota Official Marriage System online (MOMS). One trick to help track them is to search the Minnesota Historical Society birth index for mother maiden name Tang. This brings up some possibilities. However, there is more than one family adopting Tang as a surname in Minnesota.

Ellis Island opened in about 1892. I didn't find Jens entering Canada at Quebec or entering the USA at Castle Garden in New York, or in Boston, Philadelphia, etc.

Edited by - JaneC on 03/08/2013 07:39:09
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  11:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right:
Oluf Olsen Fossum was born on Furuknappen in Elverum Feb. 7. 1864.
Perents; Farmer Ole Olsen and Anne Marie Olsdatter.
Furuknappen 1865

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  12:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
My g mother Anna Elizabeth Johnson was born (19 Apr 1890 ) in Dalsland (Dals-Ed?), came to US in 1905-06, then to Michigan, Duluth Minn, and finally Minneapolis. Brothers were Alfred, Oluf (Olaf), Fred: sisters Ester, ...? She supposedly arrived in port of New York, but I can't locate.

Although you don't clarify, you must be talking about a Swedish grandmother above. Although Sweden is not really within the scope of this message forum I took 'Dalsland' and searched in the WIKI provided online by LDS at familysearch.org website (https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Main_Page) It said that "The Province of Dalsland historically belonged to Älvsborg County." So I clicked on the link there to Älvsborg and looked into the list of parishes for that county that they have laid out. Among the parishes for Älvsborg is a parish named 'Ed' (Do not confuse with the Ed parish in Värmland, Sweden) and another called 'Dals-Ed'. That's probably where I'd look for a birth record for Anna Elizabeth if I were you. If you can find her birth then you've got the location and that is VITAL to further research.

You can order LDS microfilm copies of the Dals-Ed, Älvsborg, parish records or look at the computers at your local LDS Family History Center (FHC) and check if they offer a website on their computers called "ArkivDigital" -- subscription database of Swedish records which can be used at the Family History Center. I haven't spent money to subscribe to ArkivDigital at home because I have many other projects and knew that I would never get them done if I were constantly digging in old Swedish parish records... once a week for a few hours at the FHC has been plenty.

I've used the FamilySearch WIKI and a website called SweGGate (http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~swewgw/) to learn about what Swedish records are available, how to use them, etc. I have NOT become an expert but I am having success in gathering ancestral information for my spouse. Study and you probably will too. I wish you good luck.

You can also find online forums and message boards of people researching in Sweden.

Now back to the safer topic of Norway... Whew... Once again I wasn't struck by lightning.

Edited by - Hopkins on 03/08/2013 13:07:46
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  13:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hophins - I didn't expect you to cross over the genealogy border to Sweden ... but many thanks, and glad you again have avoided the lightning bolt.

Jane- Glad you are back. I thought I may have hit the wrong button. Thanks (and to Kåre) for info about Anna Tang. Jens Tang did live in Lake Park. I do have dates and places of marriage and death in the US, and locations where he lived later. I was about 5 yrs old when Jens died (18Apr 1943). I came with my father (Lars Bernard Tang) from Winnemucca, NV to attend his funeral in Brainard, MN. What is missing are the details of arrival to US (date, port, border crossing, etc. ). I am trying to trace the full trip from Norway --> Hull (?) --> Liverpool --> US (Canada?) --> Minnesota. I did try to locate arrival in other places than Ellis Island and in Canada, but no success. I feel somewhat better that you have not been successful either.

We leave in a bit for Minnesota, but look forward to my return so I can continue the search for my roots.

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  20:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug, Since you are going to Minnesota perhaps you will be near the Minnesota Historical Society and have time to stop in for a bit? The Society will have the following on microfilm. Free to view and free to use the library. The original documents may tell the name of his transatlantic ship and his port of arrival in North America. Also, most libraries like this one have researchers who will do a look up like this, for a fee. As Hopkins found Synneva Olsdatr, Tang could be on the same ship.

as Indexed on Ancestry.com:

Declaration of Intent To Become a US Citizen
Name: Jens O. Tang
County: Becker
Reel: 1
Code: 2
Volume: 2
Page: 201
Document Type: Declaration
Years: 1884 -1896
Numbers: 1-611

Final Papers Granting US Citizenship Name: Jens O. Tang
County: Clay
Reel: 4
Code: 13
Volume: 4[D]
Page: 439
Document Type: Final Papers
Years: 1897 -1898
Numbers: 1-454

===========================================================
Here is a possibility for a Synneva Tang born about 1867. [Back in an edit to say Synneva Tang is found to be a first cousin to Jens Olsen Tang and seemingly travelled to America with him. The birth date of Jens's sister Synneva was later found - it is 1860.]

Sonia Susan Tang
Birth 17July 1867 in Norway
Death 13 August 1931 in Staples, Todd, Minnesota, USA
married
Brynjulf Angell Hanson
Birth 24 August 1858 in Bergen, Norway
Death 13 Oct 1933 in East Grand Forks, Minnesota, USA
SOURCE: Ancestry.com family tree

I do not find this death in the Minnesota Death Index at MnHS.

1885 Minnesota State Census
Lake Park, Becker, Minnesota
Brynjulf Hanson 26 born in Norway
Sussie Hanson 17 born in Norway
Ida Hanson 5m Minnesota

Below, this family on SAME CENSUS PAGE AS ABOVE in 1885 in Lake Park, Becker, Minnesota:
Ole Faraknapen 47
Anne Faraknapen 53
Hans ? 23
Oluf 21 <---------------------future husband of Anna Tang
Keena ??? 17
Petter 15
Theodore 9

Lake Park, Becker, Minnesota
--- Hansen 41
Susie Hansen 33 born Oct 1866 Norway, married 17 years (married 1883), mother of 9 children 9 living, to USA 1882
Ida Hansen 15
Otillia Hansen 14
Astrid Hansen 12
Alice Hansen 10
Daniel Hansen 8
Anna Hansen 6 [ married Henry O. Tang?]
Sigrid Hansen 4
Laurity Hansen 2
Christian Hansen 4/12 (also the youngest child shown in 1910)

1905 in Lake Park, Becker, Minnesota, Ida Angell Hansen age 20 and Ottilia Angell Hansen age 18 living on their own

In 1910 in Lake Park, Becker, Minnesota, "Brynjuk Hansen" is age 51, divorced, and has children Alice, Daniel, Anna, Lauritz, and Christian

1919 DEATH
Name: Esther Noll, age 31, Lake Park, Minnesota
Birth: 23 Jan 1888
Death Date: 08 Apr 1919
Death Place: Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota
Burial Place: Brooten, Minn.
Marital Status: Married
Spouse: C. R. Noll
Father: B. Hanson b Norway
Mother: Susie Tang b Norway
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B02435-7
System Origin: Minnesota-EASy
GS Film number: 2218036
Reference ID: cn 19132

DEATH
Name: Brynjulf Angell Hanson
Death Date: 13 Oct 1933
Death County: Polk
State File Number: 011743
Certificate Number: 011743
Certificate Year: 1933
Record Number: 654249

Staples, Todd, Minnesota
Danill G Hanson 47 <------ likely Daniel the son of "Susie," who could be Synneva Tang
Lillian Hanson 51
Winnifred Hanson 20
Daniel C Hanson 18
Wallace Hanson 17
Roger Hanson 14
Avis Hanson 9

Jens O Tang buried Solem cemetery, Hawley, Clay, Minnesota.
There's another Susan O. Tang (married name Larsen) buried here but she is too old. (Source Findagrave)
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSsr=201&GScid=980161&

A Sophie Tang (1875-1961) buried Solem Cemetery - same cemetery as Jens O. Tang.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSsr=201&GScid=980161&GRid=66949543&

Her Minnesota Death Certificate. Can it be Jens's sister Sophia?
MISS SOPHIA TANG
Date of Birth: 25 APR 1875
Place of Birth: MINNESOTA
Mother Maiden Name: KVAM
Date of Death: 07 JAN 1961
County of Death: BECKER

Edited by - JaneC on 01/09/2013 16:24:12
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  00:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dtang

Correction: I meant to say :"10, 000 Swedes went through the weeds (at the battle of Copenhagen) and chased by one Norwegian."

Perhaps chased by Tordenskjold

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  01:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:D

Here's a discussion of Brynjulf and Susie Hansen of Lake Park, Becker, Minnesota. Includes this statement:
"Susie was alive when Brynjulf sent your [grand]mother Ida and her sister Otillia back to Norway. She died in 1931. Daniel and Aunt Alice were to go to Norway also but cried and fussed and ran away from the depot. "
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.minnesota.counties.becker/11/mb.ashx

Their son Lauritz seems to be the Lauritz Hanson being discussed here:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NORWAY/2007-10/1192726654

Lauritz Anton Angell Hanson
born Nov. 27, 1897 Becker Co., MN
married Jan. 22, 1921 Detroit Lakes, Becker Co., MN
Margaret H. Brown
CHILDREN:
Lauritz Brynjulf Angell Hanson born Nov. 9, 1921 Becker Co., MN
Richard Ainslee Hanson born Oct. 4, 1924 Becker Co., MN

According to a newspaper article posted, Lauritz was survived when he died in 1948 by "two sons, Richard of Grand Forks, and Lauritz, Jr., in Chelsea MA; a brother, Daniel Hanson at Staples; and four sisters, Mrs. Samuel Syvertson of Grand Forks, Mrs. Frank Morrison of Staples, Mrs. Ida Haden of Buffalo NY and Mrs. P. Anderson in Norway." Thus it seems that if Ida and Ottilia did go to Norway, Ida returned to the USA and Ottilia stayed in Norway.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  02:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minnesota Marriage Index Online

BECKER COUNTY A-0551 11 May 1885 James O Tang married Betsy Brickson
BECKER COUNTY A-0478 03 August 1884 Brynjulf Hanson married Lussie Tang

from Doug: "I have found an arrival record (Ellis Island) for Sophie O. Tang (doa US 8 Apr 1875 1895; ship Umbria (Cunard) from Liverpool & Queenstown. This closely matches the info provided by Kåarto for Sofie (Sofie Olsdatter Tang b. 1863 dep. Bergen March 22. 1895, Cunard Line)."

Well done - The original passenger manifest lists her destination as "Lake Park."

Edited by - JaneC on 04/08/2013 13:25:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article