All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Search for my grandfather
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2013 :  03:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All: Returned from Minnesota and found no Norwayheritage website and panicked. I did find out the reasons; and, needles-to-say, am relieved and thankful you are back.

Kåre (04/08/13) –Thanks for good history about the guy who chased the Swedes! I could never be on the losing side…my maternal gmother is Swedish and my paternal gfather was Norwegian I have been fishing in “Tordenskjold” Township ( Otter Tail County, MN) where there is supposed to be a statute.

Hopkins (03/08/13)

- Thanks for the info from the 1875 census for the possible locations of “Sonneva/Synneve” Olsdtr Tang (Hillestad farm) and “Martha” Olsdtr Tang (Alme farm). These sure look like Jens’s sister in question. I will follow-up to see if I can find church Confirmation records (Hafslo, Hafslo). The 1865 census shows the name “Martha” (Olsdtr. Tang), but in 1875 census as “Marite” (O. Tang). I assume this is a name variation, recording error, .. ?

- You found 6 ‘Tang’ emigrants – from port of Bergen, father’s name begins with ‘Ol’ , prior residence = ‘Tang’. I do not find Niels, Olsen, Tang (emig, 5 May 1880) in either census (1865, 1875) with other known family members. The other five appear in one or both the 1865 and 1875 censuses. Does this effectively rule Niels out as a sibling of Jens?

- In the emigration records for Marie, Olsdtr, Tang (5 May 1904) I can’t find meaning of ‘pp’ (Line = ‘Amerikan pp’) or the meaning/implication for the ‘Ja (Yes?) under the column for Tax Remarks.

JaneC (03/08/13)

- Ella Fossum (dtr of Anna Tang) would be my father’s (Lars B. Tang) 1st cousin. I vaguely remember my dad and uncle talking about playing cards with some cousins from Lake Park (“Minnie”,..)

- I will check parish church records (birth, bapt, confirmation) for Synneva Olsdatr Tang = (?) Sonia Susan Tang (b. 17July 1867). I am doing this for all the possible siblings of my grandfather, Jens O. Tang

- Many thanks for the refs to Jens’s citizenship records. The first census that I can find Jens O. Tang after arrival in US (1882) is in the 1905 Minn state (Clay CO.) census. Listed are: Jens, Louise, and Joseph (my uncle). My dad, Lars Arnt Bernard. Tang was born 14 Jan 1906 (Clay CO), and first appears in the 1910 US census. I have found all census info forward from 1910-1940.
The only important info missing is the immigration info (port, date, ship) for Jens. If I had that I could try to fill in the interesting details of how he came from Hafslo -> Bergen -> ? -> port of entry -> Minnesota I will keep trying, but the fact you cannot locate any port of entry (US or Canada) is not comforting.

- Sorry to say, but when in Minnesota, I was not able to get to the MN Historical Society.

JaneC (04/08/13)

- From Jane “BECKER COUNTY A-0551 11 May 1885 James O Tang married Betsy Brickson.” (Minnesota Marriage Index Online).”
I began my interest in the Tang family history in 2001 (which I didn’t follow-up until now) after I received a call from a Lars Oyane (in Norway). He was writing a history of farms (Luster Co ) and was working on the volume that would include the “Tang farm” (Hafslo, #147?). He was trying to update info for the Jens Olsen Tang and wanted to know if I was related to a Jens (my paternal gfather). In our phone conversation and in a draft history (in Norwegian) of he sent he related that Jens emigrated to US in 1882 (no details), went to Detroit Lakes (Becker CO.), Minn, and married a Betsy (known as “Bessie”) Brickson on May 14, 1885. They separated after only 4 days and formally divorced in 1902 (exact date?). Jens married my paternal gmother, Louise/Louisa S. Mikkelson (28 Nov 1902; Clay Co., Minn).

My imperfect translation of above is from Lars Oyane’s draft of the Tang farm history (2001) ….“Jens Olson{Tang}, f. {Hafslo, Luster Co., Norway} 28.4.1862, Jens O. Tang ulvandra til America I 1882 og gifte sey første gongen i Detroit Lakes, Minn. 14.5.1885, med Betsy Christine Brickson, kjend som Bessie …. Men Jens og Bessie flytte frå kvarandre etter berre fire dagar… nard et gjeld Jens Tang, so gifte han seg att I Clay Co., Minn 28.1902.. Når det gjend Jens Tang, so gifte han seg att I Clay Co., Minn. 28.11.1902 med Lpuise S.”

Louise Mikkelson Tang died 4 Apr 1908. I have a fairly extensive history (by others) for the Mikkelson/Mickkelson family.

The first name “James”( O. Tang) and marriage date to Bessie Brickson (“11 May 1885)” from the MMIO source are close to the info I had been working with. In the 1885 Minn State census (Becker CO) -- where Jens and Betsy (Bessie) were married I found a Betsy Brickson (father Thomas Brickson). The digitized record indicates a James Tony (20yr) was living in the household. The hand written record could actually be Jens Tang. James Tony is 20 yrs old (same as Jens) . If James Tony = Jens Tang, then I have located Jens 1885 location (in Brickson household). However Betsy is listed as 16 yrs??

Good to be back in search of Jens Tang's (my) family history and thanks to al for helping. I am having a good time discussing all this ( the exchanges and refs) with our children.

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2013 :  10:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dtang

All:
Kåre (04/08/13) –Thanks for good history about the guy who chased the Swedes! I could never be on the losing side…my maternal gmother is Swedish and my paternal gfather was Norwegian I have been fishing in “Tordenskjold” Township ( Otter Tail County, MN) where there is supposed to be a statute.
Doug

There were 11 wars going on between Denmark/Norway and Sweden from 1520 and 1814, when Denmark/Norway were on the wrong side when Napoleon was finally defeated at Waterloo 1815.
Norway was by those days superpowers forced into an unwanted Personal union (common king) with Sweden 1814 which lasted until 1905.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2013 :  17:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug, in another thread you wrote a very gracious note, wondering if volunteers had lost interest in this thread and in your opening question. I'm just writing to assure you that there is only one reason no immigration record for Jens was posted - it's because no record was found. Certainly interested volunteers did search for that information and more.

You suggested that perhaps you should start a new thread. Sometimes this can help to refocus on new questions that have emerged. If you do start a new thread you can post a link to this one, thereby sharing all the data accumulated to date. It's frustrating not to find a needed record. Don't know if it helps, but perhaps I could say that most of us have a similar situation in our own searches. It could be that in future years as more information is digitized, the record will come to light. I hope so.
-- all good wishes and best hopes for your project, Jane

Edited by - JaneC on 27/08/2013 17:07:35
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2013 :  18:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

All:

My imperfect translation of above is from Lars Oyane’s draft of the Tang farm history (2001) ….“Jens Olson{Tang}, f. {Hafslo, Luster Co., Norway} 28.4.1862, Jens O. Tang ulvandra til America I 1882 og gifte sey første gongen i Detroit Lakes, Minn. 14.5.1885, med Betsy Christine Brickson, kjend som Bessie …. Men Jens og Bessie flytte frå kvarandre etter berre fire dagar… nard et gjeld Jens Tang, so gifte han seg att I Clay Co., Minn 28.1902.. Når det gjend Jens Tang, so gifte han seg att I Clay Co., Minn. 28.11.1902 med Lpuise S.”

Doug

Jens Olsen Tang born in Hafslo, Luster, Norway 28.4.1862, Jens O. Tang em. to America 1882 and married 1. time in Detroit Lakes Minn 14,5,1885 Betsy Christine Brickson known as Bessie..........But Jens and Bessie left each other after 4 days......Reg Jens Tang, he married again in Clay county, Minn. 28.11.1902 to Louise S.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 27/08/2013 18:33:37
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2013 :  18:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jane- I did not intend that my reply in the other thread to sound like a "complaint." I hope people didn't take it that way. I just wanted to say how very much I appreciate the efforts by all, in spite of not getting an answer to my original question. I know that there are gaps in the available records, but will continue the hunt and try to remain patient (with myself). Thanks for reminding me that others are in the same boat.

For the time being I will continue to post to this thread. I still am uncomfortable with
using links like #37 to link to an entry in a record.

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2013 :  19:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre - Thanks for checking translation for me.

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2013 :  19:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As mentioned before the naturalization records for Jens could give you the approximate date of his arrival and at which port. This information is copied from the Iron Range Interpretive website, where you pay a fee & can order a copy of his records. Unfortunately there are no dates in the base or which might be his first or second papers:

First Name Last Name
JENS O. TANG

State: MINNESOTA
Reel #: 1
Vol #: 2
Code #: 2
Page #: 201

First Name Last Name
JENS O. TANG

State: MINNESOTA
Reel #: 4
Vol #: 4[D]
Code #: 13
Page #: 439

Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2013 :  21:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

All:

Doug

Was this the lakes you were fishing in?

The Wessel family in Norway tried to get Peter Wessels (Tordenskjold) body back to Norway where he was born, but the Danish authorities refused

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 28/08/2013 15:56:15
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2013 :  22:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre - Thanks for info about Iron Range source. I will follow-up to get copies and let you know.

The lake I fished in is" Long Lake." This was many years ago with my Swedish side grandparents. It is one of the major lakes listed in your link (Ottertail Co.). There are 6 Long Lakes in Ottertail Co. and don't know exactly which "Long" Lake it was. There are 26 Long Lakes listed in Minnesota. Minnesota is known as the " land of 10,000 lakes"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_in_Minnesota

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2013 :  07:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
These sure look like Jens’s sister in question. I will follow-up to see if I can find church Confirmation records (Hafslo, Hafslo).

Baptism records would be better.
Synneva, birth Jan 16 1860, #11,
Anna, birth March 25 1865, #29,
Sophie, birth April 19 1873, #38,
Marthe, Febr 23 1856 (uægte), #23.
A note says the Ole Jensen had fathered 3 "uægte" children before Marthe.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 28/08/2013 08:04:20
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2013 :  10:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two of Ole Jensens "uægte" cildren:
Johanne, born Febr 24 1855, #27 - mother Kristi Nilsdatter,
Johannes, born Sept 21 1852, #85, mother Anne Endresdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 28/08/2013 10:14:36
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2013 :  12:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kåre - Thanks for info about Iron Range source. I will follow-up to get copies and let you know.

The lake I fished in is" Long Lake." This was many years ago with my Swedish side grandparents. It is one of the major lakes listed in your link (Ottertail Co.). There are 6 Long Lakes in Ottertail Co. and don't know exactly which "Long" Lake it was. There are 26 Long Lakes listed in Minnesota. Minnesota is known as the " land of 10,000 lakes"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_in_Minnesota

Doug

No wonder why so many Norwegians settled down in Minnesota, not to hot climate and a multitude of lakes.
Ca 19 % of the population in Minn. is of Norwegian ancestry and the state with most Norwegian-Americans.

A curiosity:
Tore Tang lived in Sandnes not fare from Stavanger, no one knew where he came from, he lived of old bread and water and had probelms with alcohol.
His only friend and heir was his guitar, his only dream was to get his own apartment.
Tore Tang was religius.
" When I die no one can bother me"

Its a touching, popular song in Norway.

Morten Abel; Tore Tang

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 28/08/2013 12:57:39
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2013 :  14:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - Very nice Kåre.

Doug, just a little correction - thanks go to the always fabulous jkmarler for posting the Iron Range source.

Eibache has furnished the crtitical birth records of the siblings. If you'd like to confirm the sibling information in the USA, a next step is to compare these birth dates with the birth dates given in American records. The death record for each individual should state parents' names and date of birth (of course this is not always the case). The online transcriptions do not list all the information on the original. Death records of Minnesota citizens can be ordered from the Minnesota Historical Society for a modest fee. Other places to look for abbreviated versions of the death records include Ancestry.com, Family Search, and Minnesota Historical Society website.

Below are the "Olsen Tang" siblings (not counting the half sibilngs, children born to Ole before his marriage) [and back in an edit to add the new birth findings by eibache] [and back in an edit to add the births posted by Doug]:

Marthe b 23 Febr 1856 (uægte)
Jens Olsen b 02 Feb 1858 - d 14 Mar 1860
Synneva Olsdtr b 16 Jan 1860 ... (called Sønneva in 1865 census)
Jens Olsen Tang b 28 April 1862
Anna Olsen b 25 March 1865
Britha Olsdtr b 09 June 1867
Ole Olsen b 16 Oct 1869
Knud Olsen b 09 May 1871
Sophie Olsdtr b 19 April 1873
Marie Olsdtr b 02 Feb 1876

Boldface names are the siblings thought to have gone to the USA.

You began this thread by stating the above birth date for Jens (we don't know your source) but anyway, what you said matches the Norwegian birth record.
The birth date for Anna found in an online family tree matches the birth date eibache found for Anna, but no source is listed in the family tree. 1900 census says the Anna in America was b Mar 1864, which I consider a match
Sonia or Susie in Minnesota was born October 1866 (per 1900 US census), which does not match Sønneva. The Ancestry.com family tree says dob 17 July 1867, also not a match - with the possibility I transcribed that date wrong, I suppose.
The Miss Sophie Tang we found in Minnesota buried same cemetery as Jens has birth date of 25 April 1875 (per Minnesota Death Record), not really a match, or not a solid match

So it's kind of a mess. My guess is that the American records have mistakes.

1865 Norwegian census
Ole Jensen 38 Hafslo Prgj. Husfader g Husmand med Jord
002 01 Anna Olsdatter 32 Hafslo Prgj. hans Kone g
003 01 Martha Olsdatter 10 Hafslo Prgj. deres Datter ug
004 01 Sønneva Olsdatter 6 Hafslo Prgj. deres Datter ug
005 01 Jens Olsen 4 Hafslo Prgj. deres Søn ug
006 01 Anna Olsdatter 1 Hafslo Prgj. deres Datter ug

1875 Norway census
Ole Jensen Smedegaard Husfader G Husmand, Træskoarbeider 1827 Hafslo, Hafslo
Anne Olsdtr Kone G 1833 Hafslo, Hafslo
Jens Olsen Søn forsørges af Fadren 1862 Hafslo, Hafslo
Anne Olsdtr Datter forsørges af Fadren 1865 Hafslo, Hafslo
Britha Olsdtr Datter forsørges af Fadren 1868 Hafslo, Hafslo
Ole Olsen Søn forsørges af Fadren 1869 Hafslo, Hafslo
Knud Olsen Søn forsørges af Fadren 1871 Hafslo, Hafslo
Soffie Olsdtr Datter forsørges af Fadren 1873 Hafslo, Hafslo

Edited by - JaneC on 29/08/2013 18:03:26
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2013 :  15:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Britha, born June 9 1867, #47,
Ole, born Oct 16 1869, #83,
Knud, born May 9 1871, #32.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2013 :  17:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

All--I logged in to post some info I found about the siblings of my g-father, Jens Olsen Tang and to ask some related questions. Did I get a pleasant surprise….thanks to all!!

jkmarler - First of all let me apologize to for not correctly attributing the Iron Range source to you...sorry. Thanks Jane for correcting me.

Based on the 1865 and 1875 census there appeared to be 8 children born to Ole Jensen Tang/Smedegaard and Anna OLdsdtr. I had a couple located in the churchbook and was in the process of trying to locate the rest, but many thanks to Einar, I now have all of these 8 births (and baptisms) documented. The following family tree (part of the same one mentioned by Jane C) … https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/M723-83Q lists10 children born to Ole Jensen Smedegaard (Tang) and Anna Olsdtr Tang. They all show Smedegaard as farm name, but can’t really be true. The 10 listed children include the 8 found in the 1865 and 1875 census In addition there is Jens Olsen Smedegaard (b. 2Feb1858, d.14Mar 1860), a son (2 yrs) who died before the 1865 census, and Marie OLsdtr (b. 2Feb 1876) who was born after the 1875 census.

For Jens and Marie, I find the following in the churchbooks:

- Jens Olsen Smedegaard (b.2Feb1858, d. 14mar1860) is #71(baptisms; year 1858) and #41 (deaths; year 1860)

- Marie Olsdtr Tang is #18 (baptisms; b. 2Feb1876).

I assume this child ,“Jens” , who died is a younger brother of my g-father Jens Olsen Tang ( b. 28Apr1862) and Marie Olsdtr Tang is a sister? If so, then this brings the number of legitimate children of Ole Jensen Tang (Smedegaard) and Anna OLsdtr Tang to 10. And they all have documented birth/baptism dates (churchbooks, Haflslo Parish).

My g-father, Jens Olsen Tang, (b. 28Apr 1862) seems to be named according to tradition (the 1st son named after paternal g-father (Jens) and after a 1st son (Jens) dies the next son is named (Jens) the same as son who died).

Einar - I quessed that Marthe/Martha was illegitimate ("uægte") when I found her birth record and saw that her birth date (b. 23Feb1856) was before Ole and Anna were married (m. 13 May 1856). Under mother and father's remarks I find "2den gang leiermaal" and "4rde gang leiermaal." Is this a counting of the number of illegitimate births?

Jane- I don’t have much in the way of USA records for Jen’s siblings who emigrated (none on those who remained in Norway. The 1st official record of Jen’s location in US is 1905 MN census. By then ( and after marriage to Betsy Brickson) he was married to Louise S Tang (Mickkelson) with their first son Joseph Laur Oliver Tang (my uncle). Jen’s birth date (28Apr1862).was generally known by close family and was in my Dad’s bible (Norweigian, pub. 1919). Somewhere I have a picture of Jens taken in US with, supposedly, three sisters (? Synneva, Anna, Sophie). I have always assumed they were the only 3 sisters who came to US, making a total of four who emigrated. Based on Hopkins info (posted 03/08/2013) a Marie Olsdtr Tang (#18, b. 2Feb1876) also emigrated from Bergen (5May 1904).

Kåre – Great music … my youngest grand-daughter (age 8) gave it a thumbs-up . Wish I understood Norweigian to be able to appreciate the words about Thor.

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article