All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Hull>Liverpool>Quebec - then what?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HelenGraves
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2013 :  21:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quebec was the port of entry for many Norwegians who ended up in Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc.

How did they travel after leaving the ship at Quebec?

My grandmother arrived in 1898 age 19 by herself. Somehow she got from Quebec to Minnesota where her father had immigrated 2 years before.

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2013 :  22:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By train. See also this topic.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

DAJohnson

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2013 :  21:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Helen,
I asked a similar question but only ... how did my husband's relatives- wife & son- get to La Crosse Wisconsin. I was given some excellent help, information and maps that I HOPE I can copy to you here.
Tried...
Unfortunately, the maps did not transfer from the Forum on "John Johnson Helfstad" which is almost number 100 of the forums listed, page 7 which you might take a look at.
Darlene Johnson

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
3468 Posts
Posted - 25/06/2013 : 02:00:00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HERE WAS A MAP OF THE SHIPS THAT BROUGHT JOHN & FAMILY TO QUEBEC. (SEE FORUM)
Neat map! Need a third red line though...
The trip from Quebec to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, would be by a third ship, I take it...As yet still unknown.
Then the information about their arriving in Milwaukee Wisconsin on the Hero is wrong, and explains the conflict of the dates...(arriving in Milwaukee before arriving in Quebec).
And the information gleaned from an earlier posting saying the passage was paid for in America that went along with it ,,, would that be wrong too??? Or, since they took the train across England, perhaps there was something similar from Canada to her destination, La Crosse, Wisconsin...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
3468 Posts
Posted - 25/06/2013 : 10:55:49

quote:
Originally posted by JaneC
NOTE: It seems Jan Peter and I were posting at the same time. :D

No worries. Thanks for the link to the 1869 map of the Allen Line route. I wasn't aware of that the ships went through the Strait of Belle Isle when headed for Quebec, but it is of course a much shorter route, than going south of Newfoundland.

This article; Concerning Emigration?, was posted in the Norwegian "Billed-Magazin" in spring of 1869.
It decribes several routes to the west, and how to cross Lake Michigan.

See also this topic.

By 1870, I'm not sure if Chicago could be reached by train from Quebec?

1887 map of Grand Trunk Railroad
(HERE WAS ANOTHER MAP THAT IS IN THE FORUM BUT DID NOT TRANSFER HERE)

Read more about the Grand Trunk Western Railroad here.

The norwegian record for Helene Hansdatter says that her ticket was paid for in America, so that is most definitely correct. Her family didn't have funds enough to pay for all 3 tickets, so Johan Jensen Skjefstadeie emigrated first, and started working in America to begin saving up money to pay for the tickets for his wife and child. A woman in Norway without paid income (e.g. housewife) would have problems paying for such a ticket herself. Close relatives in America would work for months, sometimes up to a year, before they could go to the agency and prepay a ticket. The same agency had offices in Norway, and would be informed about the payment.

Read more about the Allan Line (which S/S Hibernian was a part of) here.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 25/06/2013 19:29:50

DAJohnson

USA
41 Posts
Posted - 25/06/2013 : 20:35:59

Really good articles, especially -- Concerning Emigration? Good information all in all. Thank you! And the Grand Trunk Railroad route makes sense for Helene.

<font color="violet">SEARCH</font id="violet">

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
3468 Posts
Posted - 25/06/2013 : 22:01:57

I'm a bit confused after reading the "Concerning Emigration" article from 1869 again. I can't find any other article on the internet that says that there was a railway connection between Port Huron and Chicago in 1870.

List of Michigan railroads
Grand Trunk Railway history

1855: Quebec - Montreal was connected.
1856: Montreal - Toronto was connected.
1859: Toronto - Sarnia was connected, incl a ferry service across the St. Clair River to Port Huron.
1880: Port Huron - Chicago was connected.

See also this article; Immigrants to Canada

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 of 8 Topic

<font color="violet">SEARCH</font id="violet">
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2013 :  21:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a direct link to the topic Darlene Johnson talks about.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 31/07/2013 21:31:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article