All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Try to find descendants of Lena Gilbertson, ND
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  21:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The world is small, Garfield and Tillie Gilbertson were next door neighbors to my paternal grandparents in Velva, N.D. And George & Caroline are buried in the same cemetery as my maternal grandparents.

This is abstracted from the 1985 history called McHenry County: Its History and Its People, page 400:

There were a total of 5 children in George and Caroline (Amundsen) Gilbertson family. Clarence was mentioned. He was in the CCC in the 1930s and was working at Stanley, N.D. in the Red Owl store, at the time of his death. He was in a fatal car accident on or about Mother's day in 1939 The other child in the family was a daughter named Myrtle who was born 1918 and died 1919. The sister Elma (Mrs. Lloyd Zimmerman) was a resident of Hiawatha, Kansas in 1985. Caroline and George married 1906 in Minot, N.D.

Edited by - jkmarler on 06/08/2013 21:58:27
Go to Top of Page

arnebraat

Norway
30 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  21:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Jan Peter. I have also tried white pages and found a Donald L Zimmerman in Chippewa Falls/ Eau Claire in WI. Now I will try to get in contact with these two.

Arne

Arne Bråten
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  21:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one in Kansas should be the right one.
This could be Sharon, although city says Horton, which is 20 mins south of Hiawatha.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

arnebraat

Norway
30 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  21:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, JaneC. My english is not always adecuate. My intension was to express some doubt with aditional information and was not meant as a judgement. Now I think jkmarler has provided new information about Clarence.

Arne

Arne Bråten
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  21:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arnebraat

Thank you very much! It could be, but this guy has Hans and Julia as parents. Even if some records are inaccurate, I don't think that could be an error writing for George and Lena or Lina. I havn't searched for George Gilbertson's origin, but he entered the US from Norway 1 year old in 1881. He was porbably a Jørgen Gulbrandsen before the family emigrated.

Arne

The McHenry county history mentioned earlier also says that George was born in Kongsvinger in 1880 and came with his parents when he was 1 year old. He came from "Bonnelly, Minnesota" to McHenry county in 1903 and took a homestead in section 1 of Lebanon Township. It says George died in Minot in 1947 and Caroline died in Minot in 1954. George and Caroline were "charter members" of Bethel Lutheran.

Not sure about the town name in Minnesota. There is a Donnelly Minnesota but I'm not so sure about Bonelly.
Go to Top of Page

arnebraat

Norway
30 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  21:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter, thank you very much! I think you are right. In the memorial from Find a Grave, "step son, Jay and Libby Zimmerman of Denver" is mentioned. When I serach for Donald Zimmerman in Hiawatha on the Spokeo website, a Libby Zimmerman is listed in the household.

Arne

Arne Bråten
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  21:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jay Zimmerman is the Symposium Series Director of this site.
Libby and Jay's email can be found here.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

arnebraat

Norway
30 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  22:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jkmarler, the information about George is new and very interesting to me. My family's origin is in Sør-Odal, Hedmark. And Kongsvinger is a city with a fortress in the neigbouring municipality Vinger. About Bonnelly or Donnelly: Caroline had a brother Peter (Petter in Norway). He emigrated four years earlier to the US, in 1900. In the ship's manifest from Ellis Island base, it is noted that the final destination was a friend in Donelly. He is #22 on the list. http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=%2Fcgi-bin%2Ftif2gif%2Eexe%3FT%3D%5C%5C%5C%5C192%2E168%2E100%2E11%5C%5CIMAGES%5C%5CT715-0114%5C%5CT715-01140436%2ETIF%26S%3D%2E5&pID=105256022366&name=Peter%26nbsp%3BAmandsen&doa=Apr+14%2C+1900&port=

It has been very difficult to find Peter in the US. I think I found him in the census of 1910 and 1940. The transcript in 1910 says that he is in Velva Ward 3, McHenry, North Dakota, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MLGN-YXM but in the primary source it turns out that the count is done in Lake Hester Township not so far from Velva. http://interactive.ancestry.com/7884/4449915_00900?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return This is the same area that I find Karoline.

The reason I think this i "my" Peter, is the fact that Lena is in the same district. In 1940 he is in Lebanon wile George and Lena has moved to Velva. Do you find anything about Peter in The McHenry county history?

Arne

Arne Bråten
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  23:35:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Peter Amundson is buried in Bethel cemetery as well with these dates b.1869 d. 1952.

No story about Peter in the history book. McHenry county is a very rural county. Did Peter take a homestead?

Here is the information on him in the North Dakota Public death index/ Dates here are written American style Month first, day, then year:

AMUNDSON, PETER 04/13/1953 McHenry MALE 83 Years 08/10/1869 North Dakota McHenry

Edited by - jkmarler on 06/08/2013 23:45:32
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  00:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Possibly?
#98 Georg
Born 03 Apr 1880
Christening 16 May 1880, Vinger, Hedmark
Parents: Gunnerius Gudbrandsen & Berthea Gulliksdr
Source: Hedmark county, Vinger, Parish register (official) nr. 12 (1871-1880), Birth and baptism records 1880, page 166.

Georg and his mother emigrated to Muskegon, Michigan on 01 Oct 1880

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

arnebraat

Norway
30 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  00:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter, thank you very much for helping! This is very exciting for me. Now I'll try to contact Jay and tell the story about the family and how I got inspired to begin this search.

jkmarler, I don't know if Peter took a homestead. I have some information from the 1950's about him owning a farm, but I don't know if it is correct. He probably had his own farm. In the census of 1940 his is listed on his own farm, but he is "laborer" Link: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-27894-10820-97?cc=2000219&wc=M9Q8-LJQ:118970075.

Arne

Arne Bråten
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  01:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter Amundson had 216 acres in Section 12 of Lebanon Township ( T 153 N, R79 W) of McHenry County in the 1952 McHenry County atlas. The map also does not show a domicile on his property.

The directory portion of the atlas says Peter had only 56 acres and that he lived in Velva rather than on the farm.

Here is the findagrave memorial for Peter Amundson. His death date is 1953 (transcription quoted earlier is incorrect).

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=amundson&GSfn=peter&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=7916707&df=all&

Its likely if an obituary was published on Peter, it would have been printed in the Velva Journal.

Edited by - jkmarler on 07/08/2013 01:47:44
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  01:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1895 George and family lived in Grant County MN which is just above Stevens County where Donnelly is located. At that time there were six children. George was born in Norway, the next child age 12 was born in Michigan and the 4 others were born in Minnesota.

Father is listed as Gobert and mother as Bertha.

Minnesota, Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
Name: George Gilbertson
Census Date: 1895
County: Grant
Locality: Roseville
Birth Location: Norway
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Race: White
Line: 4
Roll: V290_61

Edited by - AntonH on 07/08/2013 02:00:40
Go to Top of Page

arnebraat

Norway
30 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  12:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much all of you for helping. I'm not so used to forums like Norway Heritage, and for my own overwiew I make one reply instead of a reply to each of you. Now I have tried to digest the new information, and then new questions are emerging.

Jane C: I think this is the memorial for the right Clarence because both parents, Caroline and George, and his uncle Peter are all buried in the same cemetary.

Jan Peter: Georg could be George Gilbertson. In the church record in Norway which you linked to, it says that he is born "in marriage". Now I wonder if the father went earlier to the US, and when the mother traveled alone with the son later, it was easier to use the same familyname for the boy as her own - Gulliksen. Gilbertson I guessed could have been Gulbrandsen or Gudbrandsen in Norway. To find the roots for this family could also be interesting for any descendant og George and Caroline when I get in contact.

lyndal40: In Norway George's father was Gunnerius. That would probably be difficult in the US. Do you know if Gobert is a common name, at least among immigrants?

jkmarler: I have started a drafting of the history of Peter and Caroline, and here is som of the text:
"After my mother died in May this year, we cleaned the house and then we found these three pictures from America. This was an inspiration to make an effort to find descendants of these two that went to the United States from a poor Norway. From 1825 until about 1930 perhaps as many as 900 000 emigrated from Norway to the United States, and many had the same name. Therefore, it was a challenge to start searching for Petter and Karoline.
---
"Many years ago I copied a somewhat incomplete message from the United States which came about in 1954. Grandpa knew a man named Olaf Stømner near Kongsvinger. The message was from a Carl Berg in the U.S. and the meaning was that "Lina (Karoline) died 1954-01-19 and was buried 1954-01-21. Petter had a lot of money, but Lina's son Garfeld, married to a Fargo ..." The rest is missing, but I remember it was about Garfield inherited Petter"
---
"Karoline traveled by steamship SS Hekla from Christianina 1904-06-01 and disembarked at Ellis Island 1904-06-26. The immigrant list says that the travel is paid for by a brother (probably Petter), and that the final goal of the trip is "Cousin R. Amundsen" in Herman, Minnesota. This annotation made me wonder what cousin this could be. The surname Amundsen says that this should be a man, for by this time almost everyone had their surname derived from the father's first name with the suffix -sen for boys and -datter (daughter) for girls (patronymic). But it might be a woman. Karoline in Norway would have used the name Amundsdaughter, but has adapted the surname to the American naming practices when she registered as an immigrant to the United States. Then she wrote her name Karoline Amundsen. Who was this cousin? "Cousin" in English covers both genders."
---
As you see there are more "actors" in this "play" I think I have found the cousin R. Amundsen in several US cencuses with husband and children in Herman, Minnesota. This could be the next quest. But I still wonder who this Carl Berg was. Maybe a relative of George from the Kongsvinger district.
If you are interested, I could email my drafted synopsis. Then you could see if there is something more to add. I have already got valuable information for some amendments.

Arne

Arne Bråten
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  13:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Gunnerius Gudbrandsen must have emigrated to Muskegon, Michigan in spring of 1880. In America he was known as Gilbert Gilbertson. lyndal40 have the correct person in 1895. "Gobert" is just a bad transcription of Gilbert.
The family must have moved from Wisconsin to Minnesota in 1883/1884.

Census-1885, Roseville, Grant, MN. (George listed as "Erik")

Census-1895, Roseville, Grant, MN.

Census-1900, Roseville, Grant, MN.

Gilbert Gilbertson ("Gunnerius Gudbrandsen") died 18 Mar 1901, Roseville, Grant, Minnesota
Census-1900 says he is born October 1853, and the death-record says his parents was Gilbrand and Bertha.

Gunnerius Gulbrandsen
Born: 07 Oct 1853
Christening: 06 Nov 1853, Vinger, Hedmark, Norway
Parents: Gulbrand Embretsen & Berthea Johannesdatter

Census-1875, Vinger, Hedmark.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 07/08/2013 14:01:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article