All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 soren olson 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  03:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will probably be pleased that in the Finnøy bygdebok, Finnøy Gard og Ætt your ancestors are taken one generation further back in time. On page 17 you find this information.

6. Søren Sørenson (Søfren Søfrenson) Hoffman
Kapellan ca. 1658-1672
Han var son borgarmeister i Bergen Søren Jensson Hoffman som var frå Viborg i Danmark. Søren Sørenson var gift med Marta Helgesdtr. Hagedorn. Han var kyrkjeverje 1659-1661

The rest of the article in the bygdebok does cover the family but seems to duplicate the information found in the other bygdebok.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  04:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I cannot locate the Fuhr farm, do you have any idea which region it is in?

My best guess for the farms associated with Marie Olsdatter Fuhr is they are found in the muncipality of Sjernarøy, which is located near Finnøy and Jesla. Marie Olsdatter is mentioned with the famrs Fuhr and Nesheim in the bygdbok on Finnøy. Olaf Rygh shows both farms in Sjernarøy. Although Sjernrøy and Finnøy are adjacent islands so I am not certain where each of the farms is located.

Listen over gårder er hentet fra "Norske Gaardnavne".

v.10, p.306
17. Neseim. Udt. næ2seim. -- i Nesheime DN. IV 390, 1380
: fire Neseme). Nesem NRJ. II 386. Nessem [NRJ. III 312.]
1563. 1602. Nessimb 1610. Næsemb 1661. Nessem 1723.

Nes(h)eimr, se Nærbø GN. 16.
v.10, p.306
19. Fure. Udt. få2ra. -- Fore NRJ. II 385. III 308. 309.
[Ffore NRJ. III 310.] Fore 1563. Føre, Fure 1567. [Fure ASt. 95.]
Fuorre 1602. Furre 1610. Fure 1661. Furre 1723.

Efter Udtalen antagelig *Forar, Flt. af for f., Fure, Rende, Fordyb-
ning (Indl. S. 50).
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  04:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sent the scans to your e-mail address for Sjernarøy and Finnøy. Let me know if you have any problems reading them.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  04:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I felt the need to coment on the various links to Family Trees that I provided to you. The vaugshaug Family Tree does stop at borgermester Søren Jensen Hofman, Bergen and there is probably enough evidence ie the Finnøy bygdebok being one, to justify going that far.

borgermester Søren Jensen Hoffman, Bergen

http://vagshaug.no/allslekt/5632.htm

However the Geni.com Family Tree does not stop there but goes much further into the family in Denmark. There are sources associated with each step but some of the sources are a little hard to evaluate and I think the prudent genealogist would probably stop at Søren Jensen Hoffman.

The Geni.com Family Tree however does not stop there but lists the father of Søren Jensen Hoffman as Jens Pedersen Løvenbalk of Viborg Denmark. The Løvenbalk family is part of the nobility of Denmark and I am always suspicious of Family Trees that make the jump into nobility. It may be true but I think it needs more proof than the Geni.com site provides.

Edited by - AntonH on 10/07/2015 04:41:15
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  04:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a side topic that you may find somewhat interesting, we do have something of a family relationship. I noticed in the bygdbok pages that the first wife of Søfren Søfrensen Hoffman born 1660 is named Anna Mikkelsdatter Alantz and her parents are listed as Mikkel Nilsson Alantz and Kristine Tårnsdatter Schive. In the late 1500s and early 1600s several Danish merchants and ministers came from Denmark and settled in the Stavanger area. These families tended to have large numbers of children and so many families in Rogaland and even in Vest-Agder and Aust-Agder have Family Trees with ancestors named Trane (Thrane), Gødtzen and Schive. Almost all of those named Schive descend from Taarn Olufsson Schive. That includes Kristine Tårnsdatter Schive first wife of Søfren Søfren Hoffman your ancestor. Now the brother of Kristine is Søfren Tårnsson Schive my 7th great-grandfather. Now I realize that you descend from the second wife of Søfren Søffrensen Hoffman and not his first wife, but it still makes for a very small world.

Edited by - AntonH on 10/07/2015 05:04:39
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  17:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I cannot locate the Fuhr farm, do you have any idea which region it is in?...

My best guess for the farms associated with Marie Olsdatter Fuhr is they are found in the muncipality of Sjernarøy, which is located near Finnøy and Jesla. Marie Olsdatter is mentioned with the famrs Fuhr and Nesheim in the bygdbok on Finnøy. Olaf Rygh shows both farms in Sjernarøy. Although Sjernrøy and Finnøy are adjacent islands so I am not certain where each of the farms is located.

The table of contents for the book Finnøy Gard og ætt IV Sjernarøy 1 shows a farm called "Furre" to be described beginning on page 499.

Since the marriage for that couple was recorded in Finnøy/Sjernarøy as given earlier in this thread you could expect that event to have happened in the bride's home parish.
Go to Top of Page

rkolson

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  21:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lyndal(my "almost" relative!), do you feel the 1st link to Denmark, borgarmeister Soren Jensen Hofmann, is valid? i thought i descended from Sofren's 3rd wife Marta(marie) Furre, not 2nd? i just noticed that Sofren married Marta at age 69 and had their child 2 yrs later..i can't find her age so i don't know if this is realistic. Hopkins, since Soren(1731) was baptized in Sjernaroy church, married there, and his son in law was buried there is that more evidence that Marie was from that island?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  23:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
i thought i descended from Sofren's 3rd wife Marta(marie) Furre, not 2nd? i

You are right, too many wives for me to keep track of. You descend from the third wife Marie Olsdtr. Fuhr and I am related to the first wife Anna Mikkelsdatter Alantz.

Edited by - AntonH on 11/07/2015 23:50:11
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  23:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
do you feel the 1st link to Denmark, borgarmeister Soren Jensen Hofmann, is valid

Well there are mistakes even in Bygdbøker, but sometimes one has to trust the sources. I would consider a bygdebok a relabile source unless I or someone else has shown that the connection is not correct. The next step to Jens Pedrsen of Denmark is a bit more questionable and needs more investigation before I would trust that connection.

The sources given by the Geni.com site for Søren Jensøn Hoffmann do not really lead anywhere useful. The one site belongs to Lars Ovre Wangensteen and he is a Norwegian geneologists who posts frequently on the DIS Forum, however it seems as if his site is under construction and thus not at this time useful.

There are sources for Jens Pedersen Løvenbalk the so-called father of Søren Jensen but they do not say that Jens Pedersen Løvenbalk had a son named Søren. They do mention some children but not Søren that I could find.

Edited by - AntonH on 12/07/2015 00:14:45
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  00:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping you could use the book where the farm Furre was listed to determine that. I gave the only info I had above.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  02:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you put in Fure or Fura into this Norwegian mapping site. You get a hit on Furereina on the island of Bergjøy. The island next to it is Sjernarøy. It looks like both the farms Fure and the farm Nesheim on both on the island of Bergjøy..

http://kart.gulesider.no/m/I7eRQ

Edited by - AntonH on 12/07/2015 17:47:44
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  03:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. I think that particular mapping sites labelling is misleading. If you go back to the maps on pages 1 and 2 of this thread you can see the farms Furre (Fura) and Nesheim are on the island in the Sjernarøy group called Bjergøy. Same island as was discussed on those earlier pages.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  17:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it was my labelling that was the misleading part. Fure and Nesheim are on the island of Bjergøy as you say. Using FINN kart map, which seems to be easier to use than the Gule Slider Kart, I can see where I went wrong. I think both maps are correct, but the Gule Slider is not as well labelled.
Go to Top of Page

rkolson

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2015 :  23:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again. I will be in Jelsa in Aug and am trying to find more info on Marta Helgesdttr Hagedorn(1631-1723). She was married to Soren Sorensen Hofman(1629-1688). He was a priest in Jelsa. I saw a comment on the Vaugshang tree that indicated she might have come from Denmark. The only Hagedorn i know is from Germany. Any help finding her birthplace would be appreciated. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2015 :  00:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its believed that Søren Sørensen Hofmann was born in Viborg in Denmark ca 1595. He died ca 1665 as "Borgermester" City Manager in Bergen.
His son priest Søren Sørensen married Martha Helgesdatter /Helliesdatter Hagedorn b. ca 1631, origin unknown, probably Danish.

Søren Sørensen Hofmann;
Student in Roskilde, Denmark 1650
Chaplain in Finnøy parish from 1658-72 and "Kirkeverge" audit/responsibility for the churchs` peoperties/farms.
Vicar in Jelsa from 1672 until he died in Jelsa Vicarage 1688.
He bought partnership in farm Mehus (former the Sherriffs farm) 1675 and -79
He leased farm Sandane 1676 and bought tha farm 1687
He leased farm Klunghaug 1678 and bought the farm 1687.

The widow Martha H. lived on farm Sandane from ca 1690 until she died 1733, she cultivated the farm until 1702.
She was buried March 11. 1723, see on top left page.
11 March Martha H. age 92 link

If the Sources is correct.
Source: Jelsa Bygdebok online page 564, but I can not open the link.

Same Sources in this Family tree.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 17/07/2015 00:48:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article