All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Tip for searching naturalization records
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Carrie B
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2013 :  05:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a couple of weeks I had been unable to find the naturalization record for one of my Norwegian ancestors who immigrated to the United States in 1879. (For those following the other thread I'm referring to Iver F. Iverson.)

Today I discovered why.

On the handwritten naturalization record, the place of birth is listed as "King of Sweden and Norway." When this got input to the digital version, such as Ancestry.com, the place of origin shows up as Sweden. Therefore, if you select "Norway" for your search term, you will miss the record.

I have found the naturalization records for Iver Frithjof. It occurred in 1890 in New York. Would this make sense if he arrived in 1879 and was living in Chicago?

Here

Here2

Some of you also noticed that I had included a picture of Iver when he was older and the picture was taken in New York. One picture I did not include in my file was from the same photographer in the same location. It was a picture of a young boy. It would make sense if this was Iver's son Arthur, born 1883, and the family traveled to New York for the naturalization in 1890.

Here is one more interesting finding. There is an Iver Frithjuf Iverson in a WWII military ship record from 1942. This could not be my Iver because he was born in 1857 and would have been 85 years old. I wonder who this Iver F. Iverson is, though?

Here3

*** UPDATE: Found an Iver Frithjuf Iverson born 1920, died in Oregon. ***

Good night!

Edited by - Carrie B on 30/08/2013 06:00:17

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2013 :  06:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most inscrutable is your guy. Here the family is in Brooklyn in the 1892 New York census. Iver, Ellen, Louis and Johanne near the bottom of the first column on the left hand page. Interesting occupation in "stationery":

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12147-100181-30?cc=1529100&wc=10936181

It makes me wonder if the scandinavian book store was in New York? Here is a link to the search engine of the Brooklyn Eagle a local paper published from 1841-1955. The database covers 1841-1902. And there are references to an Iver F. Iverson dated 11 Apr 1894 running in the primaries in the 6th ward. There are a couple of other references to an Iver Iversen & Mrs. Iversen re a Norwegian seaman's celebration in 1891.

http://eagle.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/Default/Skins/BEagle/Client.asp?Skin=BEagle

Edited by - jkmarler on 30/08/2013 07:17:05
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2013 :  10:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...place of birth is listed as "King of Sweden and Norway"
The union between Norway and Sweden from 1814-1905 was a personal union, common king.
His handwritten naturalization and place of birth is ref. to "Kingdom of Sweden-Norway"

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 30/08/2013 10:03:08
Go to Top of Page

Carrie B
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2013 :  14:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JKMarler... Woah!!!!! I did not expect this AT ALL! This may be the most amazing find yet. ;-) I can't wait to call my mother and tell her this news. She certainly never knew the family lived in Brooklyn! This opens a whole new line of research for me... a new place to look for the bookstore, more sailor records, and a potential place to where Iver "disappeared."
My research here will have to go a bit more slowly since I start back to work again next week. :-(
Again I cannot express how awesome you are. Thank you so much for locating this very unexpected information!
Go to Top of Page

Carrie B
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2013 :  15:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update... can't spend too much time on this today...

Found the bookstore!

1891 Brooklyn New York City Directory
I F Iverson, stationery, 95 Pres't

There's our #95 address.

Sure helps when you're looking in the right place! There's much more to be found with this as the starting point for sure.

Bookstore 95

Edited by - Carrie B on 30/08/2013 15:47:15
Go to Top of Page

Carrie B
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2013 :  21:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

BROOKLYN CITY DIRECTORY
1890 Iverson Iva F, books, 81 Pres’t, h 113 Pres’t [mistranscribed to Pree’t]
1891 Iverson I F, stationery, 95 Pres’t
1892 STATIONERY listing: Iverson I F, 297 Columbia
1893 [no directory found]
1894 Iverson Ivar, books, 297 Columbia
1895 Iverson Iver F, cigars, 297 Columbia
1896 [no directory found]
1897 Iverson Ivar, cigars h 283 Columbia
1898 Iverson Ivar, cigars 183 Columbia, h 150 Carroll
1899 Iverson Ivar, agt 283 Columbia, h 150 Carroll

By September 1899 the family was back in Chicago.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2013 :  04:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is exactly the way to use city directory listings, find when the person was first listed and when they were last listed and note all the subtleties of address and occupation. For at least 10 years Iver and family lived in Brooklyn, how amazing is that!
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2013 :  05:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a New York newspaper search site:
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  06:00:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Google most of the addresses from the city directory are in Brooklyn and relatively short distances between them. Very interesting....
Go to Top of Page

Carrie B
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  00:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jackie! Lots of cool finds from the newspapers that I'll post with the next big round of updates. I searched not only their names but also those addresses. There are a couple classified ads offering rooms to rent in their home; also an earlier description of 95 President with its "plate glass front" storefront window; and that "283 Columbia, books" was an election/polling place in 1897.
My aunt also said she has quite a few old family pictures of relatives she does not recognize. In the next month she'll send them my way to scan and perhaps I'll be able to match the pictures with the ones I currently have.
:-)
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  00:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to your findings. You go, girl!
Go to Top of Page

Carrie B
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  00:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another great resource for searching USA newspaper records: http://www.genealogybank.com/
You can try a 1-month subscription for $10.
It seems to have some smaller papers but lacks the bigger ones (no Chicago Tribune, for example).

This afternoon I found several newspaper articles describing the death of Ellen Iverson (Iver's wife). The reason I could not find anything before is because her name is written as "Alina" and "Lina Averson" in the papers! So today I searched for the name of the person who drove the automobile that injured her. Found it! It's still a terrible event, but I do like the title of the announcement: "Victim of the Devil Wagon."

There is also an announcement that Johanna Iverson (Iver's mother) died at age 78 while "feeble-minded and childish." Given her position as a teacher/headmistresses in Norway, I suspect she developed dementia or a similar condition in her later years.

I'm still trying to see if there are any reports for Iver; perhaps a missing person report. I'm wondering if he'll show up again in Brooklyn, but so far no luck. This new finding gives a lot of new spelling variations to explore!

Elkart Indiana Daily Review, 29 Sept 1905

Daily Illinois State Journal, 30 Sept 1905

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  02:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your experience brings up couple of points. The papers that reported the event were not local to Chicago. Just because any of the newspaper sites don't have your particular paper don't give up hope. Old time editors had space to fill in every issue--white space was anathema--so there was always a push to put something in. Stories like these were sent via wire service and that allowed a newspaper editor to pick among any that might be of interest to their subscribers and /or sell papers.

You mentioned the fate of Ivar Iverson. One thing that might be looked for is dissolution of business partnership for the bookstore. Local regs sometimes required a dissolving business partnership be advertised and notice might be valuable to the former partners to establish who was responsible for debts and who might collect on debts owed them.

Glad you persevered and found the newspaper article and shared with us.
Go to Top of Page

peder
Advanced member

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  10:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe some of these links may help in your seraches

NEW YORK VITAL RECORDS
http://www.italiangen.org/VRECLIST.stm

http://stevemorse.org/vital/nydeath.html

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html NEWSPAPER ARTICLES
NEW YORK vital records
http://www.italiangen.org/NYCDeathresults.asp?kind=exact&Esurname=Wallenstein&Efirst=Anna&StartYear=1922&EndYear=1922&County=Kings&B1=Submit

http://www.fultonhistory.com/ fulton history

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  17:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You mentioned on one of the other topics that Ellen's mother was buried in Olivet or Mt. Olive cemetery. Maybe Ellen is there as well? The sexton's records might have something worthwhile to reveal.

Edited by - jkmarler on 09/09/2013 19:38:12
Go to Top of Page

Carrie B
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  19:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's some more sad news.
I found the death notice for Ingeborg Theslie, Ellen's mother, in the Chicago Tribune. She died at the Cook County Insane Asylum. I've spent some time looking it up this afternoon. In the city the place was known as "Dunning" and was pretty terrible (abuse of patients, etc.) I wonder if Ingeborg was there for a long time? She came to Chicago with Ellen in 1880, but she's never present in the census or the city directory. On the other hand, Ellen's mother-in-law Johanna did live with the family. I'm going to try to see if there are any records of Dunning, but with how corrupt the place sounds I'm not hopeful that they kept good records.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article