All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Lena Olsen daughter of Iver Olsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  23:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Nice! Agda Marie Beck Olsen - birth in July matches Ida Olsen birth in 1900 census, noted as July. So Iver and Jensine are living in Lillevik in 1883?
Yes, Lillevik farm in Herøy, Nordland. This is on Dønna island.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 11/09/2013 00:09:37
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  23:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As it turns out Iver Olsen is also on the same family tree that Jan Peter posted for Jensine. He is listed as
"Sivert Andreas Dass Olsen born 17 March 1860"
LINK:
http://www.slekt.net/tng/getperson.php?personID=I71017&tree=1

He was baptized at home.

Two siblings are shown (probably not a complete list):
Helmer Christian Olsen born 18 Jul 1863 at Lillevik
Oline Emilie Klæbo Olsdatter born 18 March 1873 in Lillevik

Iver's PARENTS, as listed on the family tree:

Father: Ole Matias Olsen, born 7 Aug 1833, Gulstad, Herøy, Nordland
Mother: Elisabeth Johanne Jacobsdatter, born 23 Feb 1837, Jerpbakken, Hemnes, Nordland
Married 06 Nov 1859 Stamnes, Alstahaug, Nordland

A caution to Susan - all this family tree information shouldn't be taken at face value. The original research should still be done. So far the records we've finding match the family trees.

Edited by - JaneC on 11/09/2013 00:09:21
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  00:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Hilmar Olsen emigrating with Jensine in 1884 is prob. her brother-in-law then. It looks like Iver emigrated in 1883. Prob. to save up some money to pay for the rest of the family.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  00:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think so!
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  00:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting to look into Frodes familytree.
The family on my mothers side and their ancestors are there, on the island Dønna.

Not sure where the Dass name comes from.
Iver Andreas Olsen Dass was bapt. in Alstahaug Church where the famous Petter Dass was priest or more likely in Stamnes old church dem. ca 1880.
Iver (Ivert) b. March 17. 1860 is #10

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 12/09/2013 09:05:56
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  00:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good, Kåre is back! Interesting about your family, Kåre.

Wikipedia entry for Dønna mentions notable resident Petter Dass (1647-1707) as a clergyman and also "the foremost Norwegian poet of his generation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B8nna

Here is the only birth certificate I have found at the Minnesota Historical Society for Lena's siblings.

OLSEN, ALVIN PETER
Date of Birth: 04 JUL 1908
Mother Maiden Name: MARIE
CERTID# 1908-18272
County of Birth: OTTER TAIL

If this is the correct Alvin Peter Olsen, then we can guess Jensine Marie Pedersen was called by her middle name of Marie.

Edited by - JaneC on 11/09/2013 13:15:37
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  00:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had to have an extended break.
Another from Dønna was the author Ole Rølvåg

Ole Rølvåg grew up ca 5-10 minutes walk from my grandfather Aksel, and em. to America when my grandpa was ca 11 and Rølvåg 22.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  01:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing.
Go to Top of Page

susanharkins
Starting member

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  05:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow I'm just amazed and overwhelmed with all this information ..

Susan Irwin-Harkins
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  15:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi susan, yes it's a lot to absorb. Stuff is posted as it's found, so it's confusing. Here's a little summary (I'm very dependent on these types of organizational tools, so this helps me, hehe)

Lena Marie Olsen was born in probably September 1896 in Minnesota, USA [possibly in Dunn Township, Otter Tail county, Minnesota; birth date per 1900 US census]
Her parents were
Iver Andreas Dass Olsen born 17 March 1860 in Alstahaug, Nordland, Norway, son of Ole Mathias Olsen (Vogsvig) and Elisabeth Johanne Jacobsdatter
Jensine Maria Kibsgaard Pedersdatter born 18 Aug 1861 in Ugelfoden, Herøy, Nordland, daughter of Peder Christian Benjaminsen and Karen Oline Jensdatter
Iver and Jensine Marie lived on Lillevik farm in 1883 when daughter Agda Marie (Ida) was born. The farm is in Herøy, Nordland, on Dønna island.
Iver immigrated to the USA in 1883 [per 1900 US census; record not yet found]
Jensine Marie and oldest daughter Agda Marie Beck Olsen (nicknamed "Ida") emigrated from Trondheim, Norway 28 May 1884, together with Iver's brother Hilmar Olsen.
Jensine Marie's destination is listed as "Pelican Rapids, Minnesota."
Iver and Jensine Marie settled in Otter Tail County, Minnesota. Jensine Marie was probably called Marie.
The family may have been affiliated with Zion Lutheran Church in Pelican Rapids, Otter Tail, Minnesota [which may have further records about them]
Lena was the 7th child of 12 children.
Two of Lena's siblings died young (John b 1891 and Emma born 1901). Both died in 1905, when Lena was about age 9 [per Burnham family tree]
Lena appears in the 1900 US census as Lenna Oleson age 4 with her family in Dunn and Scrambler Townships, Otter Tail, Minnesota
She appears as Lena Olsen age 13 in the 1910 US census with her family in Dunn township, Otter Tail, Minnesota
Lena's father died 29 April 1911 and is buried at Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery in Pelican Rapids, Otter Tail, Minnesota
Lena possibly appears? in the 01 June 1911 Canada census in MacKenzie, Saskatchewan as a "visitor" in the household of Elaine Hasper widow, birth date given as October 1896
Lena married Robert Leslie McTavish [marriage per Susan; date and place not stated]
Robert Leslie McTavish was born about 1888 in Ontario, Canada [per 1916 Canada census] or born 04 Feb 1874 [per Susan]
Lena and Leslie had three daughters:
* Orpha Ella McTavish born about 1914 in BIg Valley, Alberta, Canada; married Marshell Clarance McDonagh; married Herb Schmidt [Lena had a sister Ella]
** Ida McTavish born about 1915 in Big Valley, Alberta, Canada; married Jack Peyton [Lena's oldest sister was called Ida]
*** Eva McTavish born in possibly 1916 in Big Valley, Alberta, Canada, after the 1916 census; married Sidney Powell
Lena likely had a brother Julius [per Susan's mother memory of family]; Burnham family tree lists brother Julius Benhard Olsen as marrying Canadian girl and living in Alberta
Lena Olsen McTavish died in 1923 in Canada, about age 26 [per Susan; this matches the birth and death dates on the Burnham Family Tree posted on Ancestry.com]
Lena is buried at Wilkie Municipal Cemetery, in Wilkie, Saskatchewan [GPS location 52.41976 degrees N 108.68934 degrees W];

Notes:
Jensine Marie Pedersen had a sister Oline and a sister Pauline. Either of these names could be the true name of Lena (or she might simply be named Lena).
Otter Tail county, Minnesota is rural, remote from any large city. The county is wooded, dotted with many many lakes, and home to many Norwegian immigrants
Big Valley is a village in central Alberta located south east of Red Deer.
Wilkie Municipal Cemetery first burial occurred in 1922; see burials at this link: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cansacem/wilkie.html
Other people named McTavish buried at Wilkie Municipal Cemetery are Alex McTavish, Finley McTavish, and Tina McTavish
Lena's sister Clara lived in Canada for a time, since two of her children were born there (unless they are stepchildren, which hasn't been investigated); it is possible more siblings to Lena can be found living in Canada, either temporarily or permanently.

So many "coincidences" pile up that it is highly likely that the Burnham family tree on Ancestry does indeed list "your" Lena, Susan. However, you can feel more comfortable with this connection by finding a document in Canada to confirm it. Lena's marriage certificate or death record or obituary may tell her parents' names and/or place of birth. Usually original documents contain more information than the condensed transcriptions that appear online, and they can usually be ordered from the appropriate agency, usually for a small fee.

OR....maybe you have one or both of these documents. You state Lena's father's name as Iver Olsen, but haven't mentioned the source of that information.

Edited by - JaneC on 11/09/2013 17:28:50
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  15:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter, does the photo (beautiful!) show Lillevik farm?

Susan, If we can find a plat map for Otter Tail County circa 1895-1900 we could pin down the location of Iver Olsen. Then we can look for a Norwegian Lutheran Church near them. It may be the nearest church was Zion Lutheran Church in Pelican Rapids. We can hope to find baptismal records for the children at the appropriate church. Would be nice to have an exact day-month-year of birth for Lena in Minnesota, combined with a solid identifier in Canada (which might be found on her marriage and/or death record).

Edited by - JaneC on 11/09/2013 15:58:50
Go to Top of Page

susanharkins
Starting member

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  16:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
could Elizabeth (another family name) Johanna be the Jenonie 49 that came over with Iver ? And yes my grandmother was born in Big Valley along with her sisters .. but my grandmothers (Orpha Ella) first marriage was to Marshell Clarance McDonagh .. their children are Colleen .. Marsha Marie (my mother) and a son Daniel .. all children still alive ... she later on married Herb Schmidt after I was born

Susan Irwin-Harkins
Go to Top of Page

susanharkins
Starting member

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  16:10:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter thank you so much for the lovely pic of the Lilevik farm .. its amazing to see where my great great grandparents came from .. I have to say this has brought my mom to tears .. she never knew anything about her grandmother or her family .. I am on such a high from all this and just want to learn more and more .. something I can leave for my own two daughters and grandchildren to come

Susan Irwin-Harkins
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  16:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by susanharkins

could Elizabeth (another family name) Johanna be the Jenonie 49 that came over with Iver ? ... my grandmothers (Orpha Ella) first marriage was to Marshell Clarance McDonagh

Thank you SO MUCH for the comment about your mother. We're working for her - as well as you - it matters.

And...apparently you read that summary, I'm impressed. Sorry about omitting Marshell Clarance McDonagh, I added him now.

Re. "Jenonie": You are referring to the 1910 US Census in Dunn, Otter Tail County, Minnesota:
Iver Olsen 50 born about 1860 Norway, to USA 1883
Jenonie Olsen 49 born about 1861 Norway -- [this is Jensine Marie Kibsgaard Pedersen]

Jensine Marie and Iver travelled separately to the USA.

I am very curious: Who is Elizabeht Johanna?

Edited by - JaneC on 11/09/2013 16:30:14
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  16:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could there be a mistake about your birth date for Leslie McTavish?
In the 1916 census with Lena, we can clearly see that Leslie is "your" Leslie. He is age 28, born in Ontario = born about 1888.
Here is a link to the 1911 census in Township 31, Red Deer, Alberta.
It lists a "Leslie McTavish, age 23, single, head of household [lives alone], born April 1888.
LINK:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=14224&highlight=43&desc=1911+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Leslie+McTavish

There is another Robert Leslie McTavish lurking about...

Edited by - JaneC on 11/09/2013 16:48:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article