All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 What happened to Øysten Nilsen Mhyre
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

davidnt
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2013 :  21:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got some correspondence from someone who has copies of the old Silver Lake Lutheran Church (Silver Lake Twp, Worth County, IA) records, and surprise, surprise; a (“hard to read”) funeral entry in 1874 for Berthe Marie Troo, age 5 months at death, daughter of Osten Nilsen Troo and Marit Knudsatter! So Mary turns out to be Knudsdatter, which makes perfect sense: 1st daughter named Berthe after her paternal grandmother Berte Øystensdtr, 1st son named Nels after paternal grandfather Nils Nilsen, 2nd son named Knut after maternal grandfather Knud “What’s-his-name!”. Unfortunately there’s no marriage or other record for Osten & Mary in the church book.

So now I have to figure out which Knudsdtr she is since that’s a very common name. I thought I was on to something when I found a Marit Knusdtr whose mother was Sigrid but she’s still in Norway in 1875 census.

Not having much luck pursuing Segrie or phonetic variants as a farm name in the Oluf Rygh database so if anyone has suggestions I’d very much appreciate hearing them.

I’ll keep bulldozing through the records.

davidnt
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  16:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some Marit Knu* born around 1851 and having a farm or birthplace name resembling Sig* from the 1865 Census.

NHDC1

As you can see there is only one. Subbing in seg for the farm name, I do not find any candidates.

Edited by - AntonH on 21/09/2013 16:59:48
Go to Top of Page

joyhart
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  20:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Austin/Øysten was born in Vang, Valdres, Oppland County. I like candidate for his wife could be Marit Knutsdatter Hermundstad-Haugen, also from Vang.

Here the family is checking out of the parish in 1855.
http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=18&filnamn=valdutfl&gardpostnr=4685&merk=4685#ovre

Some Hermundstads used the surname "Haugen" in the US; others went by their patronymic name. I would ignore the "Segrie" name. That was Marit's paternal grandmother's name (Sigri).

Personal genealogy focus: Goodhue County, Minnesota and the Norway kommunes of L�rdal; Aurland and Vang in Valdres.
Go to Top of Page

joyhart
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  22:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoops, I didn't see the first page to this post!

Personal genealogy focus: Goodhue County, Minnesota and the Norway kommunes of L�rdal; Aurland and Vang in Valdres.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2013 :  03:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you don't already know the church the family belonged to in South Dakota, you might find it by following up by finding the children''confirmation records to see if their birth dates and baptismal places are in the record. Then you might generate the name of the church where the parents' funerals were held.
Go to Top of Page

davidnt
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2013 :  01:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestion on researching church records. I don’t know what the experience of others has been but I have never had any response to an inquiry that I have made directly to a church. I have only been able to access church records by finding a 3rd party who has been able to suggest someone who might have access to the records. If anyone has suggestions on whom I might contact regarding church records 1879-1895 in Brookings and Lake Counties SD I would very much appreciate it.

I spent a lot of time trying to find Marit Knudstr this weekend but always seemed to encounter some roadblock that prevented me from connecting her to my “Mary Segrie”, too old, too young, married, dead, or still in Norway in the 1875 census.

One longshot is Marit Knudsdtr “Røvang”. I haven’t had the time to pursue it too far but here is some background on her:

Father Knud Knudesn born 1799 (father = Knud Pedersen)
Mother Berit Arnesdtr born 1804 (father = Arne Johannesen)
Married 3 Nov 1839 Vestre Slidre, Opland, Norway
Berit Knudsdtr born 20 Mar 1840
Anne Knudsdtr born 18 Nov 1842
Arne Knudsen born 28 Nov 1844
Marit Knudsdtr born 16 Mar 1846
Arne Knudsen born 21 Dec 1849

In 1865 Census Berit Arnesdatter marital status = “e” (widow) with her son Arne. She is “Dagarbeider” (day worker?) in the household of Finkel Elendsen & Sigri Alfsdatter on the Moen farm, Vestre Slidre, Opland.

Emigration entry Vestre Slidre prestegjeld 1865-1880 page 273 25 Mar 1867 Berit (#120), Arne (#122) & Marith (#121) to Amerika [urlhttp://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?urnread_imagesize=gigant&info=ingen&hode=nei&show=274&uid=321233&js=j][/url]

Why consider her? They are on the Nord Cap departing Bergen 24 Apr 1867 arriving Quebec 9 Jun 1867 along with (whatever happened to?) Østen Nielsen Myhre & Knut Torstensen Vevlen (Osten Nelson Tro sold his homestead property in Brookings County SD 21 Nov 1882 to Knute Weflen – who is in the 1880 Federal Census in Brookings County, as is Austin Troe). Maybe best friends and spouses were made on this voyage?

As always I’d love to hear from anyone who thinks this is possibility, or ridiculously off-base!

davidnt
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2013 :  03:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad news - Marit Knutson Rovang married Ole Olson Arnegaard. Married in Rice County, Minnesota, and later lived in Traill County, North Dakota.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=37707238

Marit Knutson Rovang
Birth: Mar. 16, 1846 in Oppland County, Norway
Death: Sep. 8, 1886 in Mayville, Traill County, North Dakota, USA
The bio included says Marit departed Bergen, Norway, 24 April 1867, on the ship Nordcap, and arrived in Quebec, Canada, on 9 June 1867, in company with her mother Berit and her brother Arne.

Edited by - JaneC on 24/09/2013 03:39:13
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2013 :  04:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davidnt

Thanks for the suggestion on researching church records. I don’t know what the experience of others has been but I have never had any response to an inquiry that I have made directly to a church. I have only been able to access church records by finding a 3rd party who has been able to suggest someone who might have access to the records. If anyone has suggestions on whom I might contact regarding church records 1879-1895 in Brookings and Lake Counties SD I would very much appreciate it.

There are at least 3 other ways for you to access church records. Write the archivist at www.elca.org to find if any of the church registers were microfilmed.

You can borrow the microfilm (for fees and postage) from ELCA archives or you can hire them to search the records for you. You can also take a 1 week temporary trial subscription at www.archives.com where 3 databases of ELCA church register records reside.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2013 :  06:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, somebody using Sigrirud as a last name came to US. These are BLM records for Barron County, Wisconsin:

SIGRIRUD OLE K 14 32 N 12 W 160 04 2146 1880/05/15
SIGRIRUD OLE K 14 32 N 12 W 0 04 2146 1880/05/15
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2013 :  14:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting find of the Bureau of Land Management records for Ole K. Sigrirud.

Here's an Ole Knudsen age 29 in 1865 in Sigrirud, Sør-Aurdal prestegjeld
with a Marit Knudsdatter age 19 (born about 1847):
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/bosted_land/bf01038073000569

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2013 :  15:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, it looks like Marit did come to US but....

These 3 people in the Minnesota death index have a mother whose maiden name is Sigrirud:

Eric Severson b. 25 Apr 1878
Olaus Severson b. 5 Mar 1880
Clara Rosina Hovda b. 20 June 1884

In the 1880 census transcribed at digitalarikivet:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=6&filnamn=MINN1880&gardpostnr=85470&merk=85470#ovre

And since her name was Mary and her age is a better match to someone born abt 1846 /1847 this is probably the Marit Knudsdatter age 19 in the 1865 Norwegian census. Marit and Ole are buried in Frankford twp in Mower county with last name as "Bergebraaten". Her stone reads 1846-20 Apr 1935.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2013 :  16:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the marriage database at www.mncounty.com there is a Peder Sigre m. Berit Hagebak on 18 Sept 1886 in Lac Qui Parle county. This is the earliest of someone in the database of a similar name.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article