All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Looking for information on Thomas Thompson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2013 :  23:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In spite of the spelling, Ancestry links this person with Nels Torhoug.

1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Nels O Harhouy
[Nels O Horhony]
Birth Date: Feb 1828
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1900: Blue Mounds, Dane, Wisconsin
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1853
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Anna Harhouy
Marriage Year: 1856
Years Married: 44
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Household Members:
Name Age
Nels O Harhouy 72
Anna Harhouy 61
Martin Harhouy 18
Albert Harhouy 18
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2013 :  23:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Isn't an 1822 birthyear a bit shy for the father of a person b. 1836? Physically possible but exceedingly unlikely....

Agreed but there is a lot of location coincidence linking Nikolai "Nick" Thompson and Thomas Thompson. They both occupied Barron, Chippewa and Dunn Counties in Wisconsin in the same time frame. 1860 to 1910.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2013 :  23:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Isn't an 1822 birthyear a bit shy for the father of a person b. 1836? Physically possible but exceedingly unlikely....

I don't think Nick. Thompson could be his father, but the name and place where he lived is interesting, so it's worth looking into, could possibly be a brother, cousin, uncle...

What are the proof of Thomas Thompson being born 1835-36?
Could it be 1845-46?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2013 :  23:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What are the proof of Thomas Thompson being born 1835-36?
Could it be 1845-46?

The 1880 US Census and the Civil War Record, that is if they are the same person. Poster seems to think that the 1880 Census is the right person.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  00:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are few Nicholai, Nick, Nicholas of an age for them to be the father of Thomas if he was indeed born US.

The most exhaustive study published of the pre 1850 migrants to America is Naeseth's Norwegian Immigrants to the United States : A Biographical Directory 1825-1850. In Volume 1 of that series, covering the dates 1825-1843, there is not one with Nicholai/Nicholas etc for a first name on the voyages 1825-1840.

The only thing close is a ship's captain named Johan Nicholai Tybring b Drammen son of Jacob Gelmunden Tybring who arrived in Philadelphia on 10 Dec 1828. Apparently the arrival didn't lead to a permanent settlement here in US immediately as his marriage on 6 June 1834 to Anne Margrethe Jensdtr Sunne is reported in the Oslo Domkirken.
Go to Top of Page

cbatt

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  01:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1880 census is right. George and Richard were both born in the right years on that census . His age could be wrong? I don't have any proof that the age is correct. On there marriage it doesn't state an age.
Go to Top of Page

cbatt

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  01:39:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried to fin Thomas in a cemetery, but I couldn't. He was buried on the family farm and then they built a road through it so they moved his body to the Nye Scandinavia Cemetery in Maple Grove. I looked and I couldn't find anything there. This was the story I was told. If we could find a headstone it might have an age on it.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  01:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a little out of the ordinary that on the 1880 US Census Thomas is 20 years older than his wife. Not an impossible age difference at all but it does make one wonder if as mentioned by Jan Peter coud he be 10 years younger.Also in the infomation on "Nick" he is listed as having arrrived in 1853.

Edited by - AntonH on 14/10/2013 01:57:56
Go to Top of Page

cbatt

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  03:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could be a possibility .it would be nice to find something with a birthdate on it. Other than the census.
Go to Top of Page

cbatt

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  03:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have looking for a couple years for info on this family. I came to dead ends all the time, so I figured I would post on this site and see if somebody could see something that I wasn't seeing.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  14:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the only Nicholas Thompson in Chippewa County, Wisconsin in 1860:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=5&filnamn=ft21001860&gardpostnr=20834&merk=20834#ovre

20834 Wisconsin Chippewa Wheaton 229 Nicholas Thompson m 35 Norway
20835 Wisconsin Chippewa Wheaton 229 Ann Thompson f 25 Norway
20836 Wisconsin Chippewa Wheaton 229 John Thompson m 5 Norway

I cannot post a link to this because I was unable to find it in familysearch.org 1870 but I did find in HeritageQuest:

There are 4 Nicholas' born in Norway found in Chippewa County. This is the eldest one and the only one whose last name starts with a T. The name is indexed as "Tophelson" which is fairly accurate to what nonsense is actually written on the page.

page 3, Wisconsin, Chippewa County, Bloomer Prairie taken by H.A. Stanley on 2 Oct 1870 (with additional date stamp of 3 Dec 1870) line 27-34:
Tophelson, Nicholas age 47 m w born Norway, real estate value $1000, personal prop value $800
" , Caroline f w age 28 Home born Norway
" , Thoms m w age 15 " born Wisconsin
" , Ole m w age 7 " "
" , Isaac m w age 6 " "
" , Samuel m w age 5 " "
" , Annie f w age 3 " "
" , Elizabeth f w age 1 " "

Just interpreting the story with this arrangement of names and dates, I would surmise that Caroline is the 2nd wife of Nicholas Thompson, owing to the gap in years between Thoms and Ole and her own age of 28. It would have been exceedingly unlikely that a 13 year old would be a parent.

I was a bit suspicious about the date of the census 2 Oct 1870 and went looking for additional information on the 1870 census. In his book The Census Book: A Genealogist's Guide to Federal Census Facts, Schedules and Indexes by William Dollarhide there was a discussion about the relative accuracy of the 1850-1870 census schedules. Apparently multiple generational handwritten copies were made. So the original schedule written by the census taker was recopied in 2 sets and 1 copy of the "clean" copy was sent to the state. That clean state copy was recopied and the recopy of the state was sent to the Federal census bureau. It is the Federal copy that was microfilmed and is widely available. Dollarhide recounted anecdotal information that many, many errors have been reported between the microfilmed Federal copy and the state level copies. Wisconsin is one state that actually preserved their state level copy, so comparisons could be made.

So is the Nicholas Thompson in the 1860 census of Chippewa County, Wisconsin the same man as the Nicholas Tophelson in the 1870 Chippewa County, Wisconsin?

The age of John Thompson is consistent with Thoms Tophelson. Neither John / Thoms ages are consistent with Thomas Thompson in 1880. Given name is not consistent between John and Thoms / Thomas but consistent between Thoms and Thomas. Last name is consistent between John and Thomas but Thoms is not truly consistent with either John or Thomas. Birthplace between the 3 listings indicates consistency between Thoms and Thomas but neither with John. However John's birthplace is consistent with the detail in the biography of Thomas's son.

Name Expected value would be for the female in the 1860 census to be named Mary not Ann.

Nicholas' age in 1860 is 35. Nicholas' age in 1870 is 47 (close but not exact)

Since Nicholas has substantially valuable land in 1870 it would be valuable to find when he bought it and when it was sold or distributed to heirs. Probate and real estate are county functions and so should be followed up.

Edited by - jkmarler on 14/10/2013 15:23:11
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  16:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice find Jackie, Here is a wild guess. Yes Nicholas Tophelson is the same as the Nicolas Thompson in the 1860 census and also the Nikolai or Nicholas or Nick Thompson in the 1900 and 1910 US Census and the 1905 Wisconsin Census living in either Chippewas or Barron or Dunn Counties in Wisconsin and living with Ole age 7 in 1870 and thus born in abt. 1843.

Edited by - AntonH on 14/10/2013 17:40:23
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  16:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow I had been hunting for Nicolas in the 1870 Census for some days now, but it wasn't until I used the Jackie trick of Nicholas and born in Norway that I found him, Here is how Ancestry. lists the family. If this Thomas is the posters Thomas it means he was born in 1855 not abt 1837, it is a little hard to imagine that the 1880 Census is that far off.

1870 United States Federal Census
Name: Nicholas Fohelson
Age in 1870: 47
Birth Year: abt 1823
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1870: Bloomer, Chippewa, Wisconsin
Race: White
Post Office: Chippewa Falls
Value of real estate:
Household Members:
Name Age
Nicholas Fohelson 47
Caroline Fohelson 28
Thomas Fohelson 15
Ole Fohelson 7
Isaac Fohelson 6
Samuel Fohelson 5
Annie Fohelson 3
Elizabeth Fohelson 1

Edited by - AntonH on 14/10/2013 16:35:22
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  16:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thompson might be used by people emulating Thomason. I have also seen Torgerson become Thompson in one of my families.

Tophelson might have been Tollefson if the census taker and / or the census copyiest was dyslexic flipping the second syllable around.

Tophelson might have been Torgelson/ Torkelson / Torkjellson.

Tophelson might have been also have been an interpretation of one's hearing of Tjostelson or Kjostalson.
Go to Top of Page

cbatt

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2013 :  17:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any where to look for land titles in 1885 to see what information was on there?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article