All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Who is this family?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dhansen
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  18:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I am looking for help trying to find a family. This family is listed as passengers 63-66 on the Bark Alma that set sail for Canada in April of 1869. They are listed on the ship like this:

63 Lars Olsen Brædsnæs, 35 ,m , residence Aurland*
64 Ingeborg !! Brædsnæs*, 33 , f , wife, residence Aurland*
65 Ole Larsen* Brædsnæs*, 9 , m , son* , residence Aurland*
66 Kari Larsdatter* Brædsnæs*,2 , f , daughter* ,residence Aurland*

I think this family may be related to me however I am not positive so I could be way off, even still I want to know who they are as I just feel some connection to them.

Now for what I know about my family,

In the 1875 Minnesota Census I have found,
Name age Birth Place
Ole Larson 49 Norway
Ingeborg Larson 48 Norway
Julia Larson 16 Norway
Ole Larson 12 Norway

In the 1885 Minnesota Census I have found,
Name age Birth Place
Ole Larson 57 Norway
Ingeborg Larson 57 Norway
Ole Jukulen 24 Norway

In the 1895 Minnesota Census I have found,
Name age Birth Place Lived in state
Ole Larson 66 Norway 26 Years

In the 1900 US Census I have found,
Name age Birth Place Relation Immigration Year
Ole Jukulen 39 Norway Head 1869
Regina Jukulen 33 Norway Wife 1880
Ingeborg Larson 70 Norway Mother 1869
(along with Ole Jukulens children)

I think the people on the ship may be my family because of the many commonalities like similar names and years of immigration. The ages are kind of off and I think that the names were americanized. I am not sure mostly because in 1875 there is listed a Julia and on the ship there is a Kari and these ages don't match to say she changed her name. Also Ingeborg lists on the 1900 census as having only 2 kids and both kids are living.

I have searched the digitalarkivet but have not found any information that I can say is for sure a match to either my family or the family on the ship. I did find information on Regina (Ole Jukulen's wife) here:

http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=emikra1&personpostnr=17864&merk=17864

So pointers for information and thoughts on is this ship family related and who is that family on the ship and who are my family?

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  18:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What information do you have about your Norwegian ancestor?

If you have a date of birth for your Norwegian immigrant and you don't know where he/she was born you could take a flyer and search in the parish registers of Aurland since your target family in the record you quote has a residence of Aurland.

If your family is Jukulen that would be an unusual name in Norway and is possibly a farm name. Searching for it as a farm name might reveal a parish for Ole Jukulen.

Here is link to Jukulen farm in Vaage in the 1865 census:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=f60515&gardpostnr=526&merk=526#ovre

Edited by - jkmarler on 20/11/2013 18:23:38
Go to Top of Page

Dhansen
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  18:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The information I know is that Jukulen is not the last name they used in Norway. Ole's last name was changed to Jukulen after arriving in the US. You can see the change in the 1885 Census where in 1875 the child was named Ole Larson. Ole Jukulen was born in March of 1861 according to the 1900 US census. This year proves to be correct on all documents but I am not positive on the month. He for sure came to the US as a child with his sister (I don't know her name). Also because of the last name Larson which was probably spelled Larsen, I would guess his dad's name would be Lars and not Ole in Norway and the names were changed to american traditions. Edit this is not true after checking the link.

Thanks for the link, I didn't realize that Jukulen was probably a farm name. I think this is their information. So the ship family is likely not them, but I wonder who they are too. Thanks so much again!

Edited by - Dhansen on 20/11/2013 18:44:09
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  19:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always feed your curiosity--it's your best tool.

Re the ship family looking for farms named Brædnæs in the 1865 found none spelled exactly like that. Here are close spellings and parishes where they occur:

Oppland, Øyer
Brændtnæs (2)

Møre og Romsdal, Edø
Bræmnæs (1)

Nordland, Heimnes
Brændnæsvik (2)
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  19:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhansen

Hello, I am looking for help trying to find a family. This family is listed as passengers 63-66 on the Bark Alma that set sail for Canada in April of 1869. They are listed on the ship like this:

63 Lars Olsen Brædsnæs, 35 ,m , residence Aurland*
64 Ingeborg !! Brædsnæs*, 33 , f , wife, residence Aurland*
65 Ole Larsen* Brædsnæs*, 9 , m , son* , residence Aurland*
66 Kari Larsdatter* Brædsnæs*,2 , f , daughter* ,residence Aurland*

They came from Breisnæs, a sub farm in Aurland, Lars Olsen was cottager with land, see Aurland 1865

Edited by - Kåarto on 20/11/2013 20:03:10
Go to Top of Page

Dhansen
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  20:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curiosity is my best tool and I sure have plenty of it. I like to find the stories its fun for me. I just seemed to get stuck at the point where the ocean was crossed but I see now that my misunderstanding was how the farm names were starting to be taken as last names during this time which is a helpful tid bit. I am young in my quest with genealogy but I am learning. All the information is much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  21:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Searcing on Norwegian pages, you know how to use Ø-Æ-Å, a great advantage for you.

Family tree for Ole Olsen Jukulen

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Dhansen
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  23:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I found their emigration data, page 396, on the top right, Vågå / Vågå: 1856-1872, Parish register (official) Numbers 25-28

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?show=287&uid=40777&urnread_imagesize=full&hode=nei&ls=1&lc=x%259CK%25B42%25B2%25AA.%25B62%25B4R%25CAT%25B2.%25B62%25B1R%25B2%25B04%25B4%25001%2581B%25C5J%25D6%2599VF%2516%25E6%25D6%25B5%2500%25CA%2529%2509%25FD

For Ole's birth, I found, in the same book, on page 30, number 44 which I think says born March 3, 1861 which matches what the 1900 US census says his month of birth was. That line I believe says parents Ole Larsen and Ingborg Olsdatter.

For Guri, his sister, I found, in the same book, on page 16, number 31 which I think says she was born on January 29,1859.

I have 2 possible ones for Ingeborg birth in Vågå / Vågå: 1827-1842, Parish register (official) first on page 27, number 10 and second on page 28, number 34. I am using her birth month as listed on the 1900 US census which says December.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_side=27&show=18&uid=44376&urnread_imagesize=full&hode=nei&ls=1

I think that is what I've dug up so far.

Edit to Add Yes Jane, I am pretty sure that is them on that farm.
Edited again to list the actual book because the links may be messed up

Edited by - Dhansen on 21/11/2013 02:17:42
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  23:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha you saw me! I deleted my comment about place name as I can tell you are well oriented and didn't need it.
To explain why I had posted:
On some online genealogy boards, a descendant was saying this place is in Rogaland, which it isn't,
and you opened with a reference to a family that isn't yours,
and Norwegian place names are unfamiliar and thus a little confusing to Americans - or to some of us, anyway.
Glad your family was so quickly found in 1865 on the Jukulen farm in Sjårdalen school district, Vågå Prestegjeld, Oppland.

Edited by - JaneC on 22/11/2013 03:02:44
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  23:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have a sharp eye.
You are right.
Guri was born on farm Kleppeeie Jan. 29, the em. confirm the same date and the family leaving Kleppeie March 30. 1869.

Both Jukulen and Kleppeeie are located to the valley Sjårdalen.

The ending -eie (to own) means Kleppeeie was a sub farm under Kleppe

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 21/11/2013 00:27:55
Go to Top of Page

Dhansen
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2013 :  00:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the confirmation Kåre. I think my sharp eye comes from the fact that I studied German for about 6 years and did tons of translating. I know how to skim well for information I know what it says even when I don't understand almost all the rest of it. It also seems the 2 languages have some similarities in structure so with a little help from the horrible google translate I can wade my way through some things.

And Jane...I wasn't well oriented but I just dug in and sorted it out as went along.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2013 :  08:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have 2 possible ones for Ingeborg birth
- since Ole Larsen, Kleppe-eie and Imbjør Olsdatter, Blesum-eie were married July 4 1854, #33 where Imbjørs father is Ole Olsen, Blesum-eie, I would go for #10.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 24/11/2013 09:54:54
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2013 :  11:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhansen

Thanks for the confirmation Kåre. I think my sharp eye comes from the fact that I studied German for about 6 years and did tons of translating. I know how to skim well for information I know what it says even when I don't understand almost all the rest of it. It also seems the 2 languages have some similarities in structure so with a little help from the horrible google translate I can wade my way through some things.

The Norwegian and German language belong to the same language-group and the pronunciation is similar.
I guess the grammar and the prepositions were dificult to start
with

Attaching a picture of Sjårdalen

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Dhansen
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2013 :  05:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The area is very nice. Thanks for the information Einar, that will help me with my family genealogy. I was looking for Ole Larsen's birth and it looks like according to that marriage that his dad's name was Lars Christensen. From that record too I calculated he would be born in about 1827-1828. And I think I found one possibility but I'm having a hard time reading this old writing. Its in the book Vågå: 1815-1827, Parish register (official) on page 272 number 61. Does it say that Ole's dad is Lars Christensen and what is the mothers name if that is what it says?

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9249&uid=ny&idx_side=-129
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2013 :  08:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Ole you found #61, the parents are Kari Olsdatter and Iver Gulbrandson, so you must continue to look.

Also the link you provided goes to a different page. Copying the address in your browser window does not lead to a link to the page in question.

As you view the page in the blue bar at the top there are 3 choices to make regarding viewing the image, the size, where you want the documentary information to appear and if you want the Digitalarkivet logo on your image.
When you chose having the documentary information to show (either at the top or the bottom) one of the pieces of information is the permanent page link (permenent side lenke) copying the address of the permanent page link will give you a functionaly address to the correct image.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2013 :  11:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Ole was born out of wedloc on Kleppe-eie March 14. 1828.
His mother was Ragnild Olsdatter Kleppe-eiet.
His father was "Uk" bachelor from Sandbue-eiet in Vågå.

Good luck.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 22/11/2013 11:46:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article