All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Gunild Nilsdatterr Kleven under Askilt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  23:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the look of the original manifest, it would appear that this Niels is travelling alone, ie no other family members.

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: N Johansen
Arrival Date: 13 Jul 1843
Birth Date: abt 1822
Port of Departure: Porsgrunn, Norway
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Salvador
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  23:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lornejohnson

Yes these are the correct links for Gunnild, baby Anders and daughter Ingeborg. As the * indicates that information was incomplete could it be that the farm name "Roa" is not accurate? The ages are pretty much spot on. So what's your assessment Jane? Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Would the microfilm have any other clues as to the name Roa vs Kleven ?

not barking up the wrong tree, but at the same time I can't tell how you confirmed these are "your" people. I can't tell if I need to "do the homework" and reread the thread again (which I will do) because I'm missing something - or if indeed the corroboration is not posted.

There should be a record of Gunhild w Anders and of Ingeborg leaving their parish (unfortunately people did not always register to leave) but if they did, then the leaving dates should harmonize with these ship manifests.

As for *, a little later I'll go find (or you can) the explanation, which is offered here on the website. I think that basically means the * information is not on the original but has been calculated. So it could be this Gunnild is registered to leave from farm Roa somewhere and matches this manifest.

Edited by - JaneC on 12/04/2014 23:48:06
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  23:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure why there is more than one transcription of these old immigration records but here is a novel reading of the information that Jane posted. Also if Gunnhild arrived in 1843 with Anders they should be findable in the 1850 US Census.

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Gunneto Nilsdotten
Arrival Date: 7 Aug 1843
Birth Date: abt 1797
Port of Departure: Le Havre, France
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Tecumseh

Edited by - AntonH on 12/04/2014 23:51:06
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  23:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe this one. In the original the name for Cornelia looks more like Nilson than the one the transcriber used.

1850 United States Federal Census
Name: Anders Johnson
Birth Year: abt 1841
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1850: Boone, Boone, Illinois
Family Number: 64
Household Members:
Name Age
Ole Kelleson 27
Emily Kelleson 25
Mary Kelleson 2
Cornelia Milson 52
Anders Johnson 9
John Johnson 15

I wonder if this Ole is actually a Kleven?

Edited by - AntonH on 13/04/2014 00:29:25
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2014 :  01:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RE Ingeborg Johannesdatter, Naeseth's Volume I pg 253 on the Argo gives this information about her:

"...[Ingeborg Johannesdatter] b. 1825 ? Emig. to the Long Prairie settlement in Ill., where she mar. Ole Kittlesen Moland." Sources cited for this information are Long Prairie Lutheran church parish registers and the 1850 Illinois census.

Ole Kittilsen Moland is described in Naeseth's Volume 2 1844-1846 pg 83, no ship identified, as being born in Bø, Telemark on13 Feb 1822, parents are Kittil Halvorsen Moland and Kari Evensdatter. Ole married Ingeborg Johannesdatter on 20 Jan 1848, their first child is Mari b. August 30, 1848. Sources are Long Prairie Lutheran church records and Bø, Telemark parish registers.

Edited by - jkmarler on 13/04/2014 07:01:14
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2014 :  01:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

[

There should be a record of Gunhild w Anders and of Ingeborg leaving their parish (unfortunately people did not always register to leave) but if they did, then the leaving dates should harmonize with these ship manifests.

As for *, a little later I'll go find (or you can) the explanation, which is offered here on the website. I think that basically means the * information is not on the original but has been calculated. So it could be this Gunnild is registered to leave from farm Roa somewhere and matches this manifest.

Here's the key about * for this site:
* after a piece of information, e.g. a patronymic or surname/farmname, indicates that the information is not given in the original, but included by the registrator on the basis of the information regarding the surrounding persons in the source.

As to Gunhild, Ingeborg etc leaving that link was posted on page 5, if you think it's possible that the pastor made a mistake on some of the information Halvor Johannessen Kleva for Johannes Halvorsen Kleven and Ingeborg age 10 instead of Ingeborg age 18, etc. Gunhild is not mentioned by name but only as "hustru" and is understood when the list of children is preceded by "Deres Barn" meaning their (plural) children.

Edited by - jkmarler on 13/04/2014 01:16:29
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2014 :  02:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See page 5 about the 4th entry down of this Topic for the migration record from Parish Records

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2014 :  03:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lyndal40 - you might be onto something here - the Emily Kelleson (possibly Ingeborg Kittlesen married to Ole Kittlesen Moland ?) - the ages are correct for Cornelia, Anders and John. Cornelia's husband (Johannes) died in 1849 so wouldn't be on this 1850 census. Is this a stretch ...or a real possibility ?

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2014 :  03:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks lorne, got iti (that migration record you posted earlier). That was a good find! And I agree the 1850 census posted by lyndal40 is likely your family. lyndal40 also posted the 1870 for Andrew earlier. See this:

Long Prairie Norwegian Farm Families in Boone County in 1870
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ilboone/norfarm.html

"A. Johnson Sec. 15 is Andrew Johnson (Anders Johanneson Kleven 1840-1925.... Moved to Nebraska."

Edited by - JaneC on 13/04/2014 03:52:31
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2014 :  07:31:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice find JaneC. Who is the "Sigri Jorgensdatr and Nilsdatr" refered to following Anders Johnson's name? Would this be his wife?....and his 75 year old mother ?

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2014 :  16:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1850 in Boone Township (where Long Prairie was located), Boone county, Illinois
Cornelia Nilson = Gunild Nielsdtr Kleven
according to Nordmenn i 1850-teljinga i USA here
Odd that John in the census is identified as Niels.

A cousin here (Halvor descendant) Becky

About this: "Who is the "Sigri Jorgensdatr and Nilsdatr" refered to following Anders Johnson's name?"

Good question. I don't know either, but presumably you are correct, Sigri is listed as his wife. Maybe it's possible to contact the person who did that research (though sometimes those kinds of emails are out of date). And also to ask about that "Nilsdatter," which certainly reminds us of Gunnild.

Another way is to (successfully) research Andrew and wife. They should be getting married in Boone county, Illinois ca. mid-1860s. Her maiden name and perhaps Norwegian name may be included in the birth, marriage, or death records for this couple and/or their children.

1870 (previously posted)
(P. O. Capron) Boone, Boone, Illinois
Andrew Johnson 28 born about 1842 in Norway
Sarah Johnson 29
John Johnson 2
Delia Johnson 8/12 <--------------------does not appear on the 1880 census
+ Nellie Staverson 26, and Helen Staverson 15

Bloomington, Franklin, Nebraska
Andrew Johnson 39 born about 1841 Norway, farmer
Sarah Johnson 40 born about 1840 Norway
John Johnson 13 -- all the children are listed as born in Illinois
Martha C. Johnson 8
George Johnson 7
Nutie Johnson 5
Martin Johnson 3
Tina Johnson 1

Another research route, scroll to the bottom of this page, here
where is written "1839 - 1962 Boone co. Probate-guardian index, Also hundreds of other indexes & transcriptions & area ancestor charts I have done from 1969 to 2010, on local families, All located at Ida public library history room." Perhaps a volunteer with the local genealogy socieety would be willing to do further research in this archives of materials not online.
idalibrary

Edited by - JaneC on 13/04/2014 18:45:41
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2014 :  16:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marriages of Illinois 1763-1900 database at Illinois State Secretary of State website has this:

JOHNSON, ANDREW NELSON, SARAH 1865-11-15 00000748 BOONE
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2014 :  20:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great information guys. I now have something to go on to see if I can bring this side of the family up to the 20th Century . Thanks again !

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  18:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm now searching for the genealogy of Sarah Nelson ...wife of Andrew Johnson. There is reason to believe she might be Sigrid Jorgensdat as shown on the Long Prairie Norwegian Farm Families in Boone County 1870 posted above. Any suggestions of how to confirm this ? I did find her in parish records Seljord Telemark page 61 Birth September 18, 1839 and I have a copy of her marriage certificate from Boone County Illinois USA ...but it simply calls her Sarah Nelson and no parents names listed as witnesses etc. Any suggestions ?

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  20:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lornejohnson

I'm now searching for the genealogy of Sarah Nelson ...wife of Andrew Johnson. There is reason to believe she might be Sigrid Jorgensdat as shown on the Long Prairie Norwegian Farm Families in Boone County 1870 posted above. Any suggestions of how to confirm this ? I did find her in parish records Seljord Telemark page 61 Birth September 18, 1839 and I have a copy of her marriage certificate from Boone County Illinois USA ...but it simply calls her Sarah Nelson and no parents names listed as witnesses etc. Any suggestions ?

In case you get use of the names of the parents later.

Parents; Jørgen Bjørnsen and Ingeborg Knudsdatter.
Farmname; Bekhuus under Øverland, a subfarm under Øverland.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/10/2014 23:58:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article