All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Inman Line Ships
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

cmtodd

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2014 :  22:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to identify a ship that sailed from England to North America in 1880. The Torkildson family I am investigating was to travel on the Inman line, sailing from Trondheim on the “Dampskib Tasso” on 14 Apr 1880, with an ultimate destination of Zumbrota, Minnesota. Naturalization papers indicate that the father entered the U.S. through Port Huron, Michigan in May, 1880, so they may have sailed to a Canadian port, not a U.S. port. The Norway-Heritage website indicates a 15 Apr sailing of the Tasso and lists two possible connecting Inman ships: 1) City of Berlin, which arrived in New York on 2 May, 1880 and 2) City of Montreal, arriving in New York on May 8. The S/S Montreal (Dominion Line) is listed as arriving in Quebec on 9 May, 1880.

Three questions: Could the City of Montreal & the Montreal be the same vessel? If so, would they have different passenger lists? Can anyone provide the source for the article on the Tasso webpage that indicates two passengers died while being ferried out to the ship for the 15 Apr sailing? Thanks so much!
Chris

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  00:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"SS City of Montreal" from Liverpool, England 1880, mentioned here
I have not looked into these links from 2004, maybe they are still in operation.

Leaving Trondheim April 14-Mai 10, total 26 days journey.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 28/01/2014 00:04:54
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  04:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a ship the Montreal arriving in Quebec on May 9, 1880. No Torkildson in the manifest. Here is about the only passenger with the last name beginning with T. there seem to be four of them, however the manifest is only partially readable. The Montreal lists 108 passengers.

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
Name: ??Elina Truscatt
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1851
Date of Arrival: 9 May 1880
Vessel: Montreal
Search Ship Database:
Port of Arrival: Quebec, Quebec
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

Here is what Ancestry has on ships with the name Montreal.

City of Montreal Inman 1872-1887
Montreal Canadian Pacific 1900-1918
Montreal Canadian Pacific 1921-1928
Montreal Dominion 1879-1889
Montreal French 1912-1917

And information on the Montreal from Dominion

Ship Name: Montreal
Years in service: 1879-1889
Funnels: 1
Masts: 2
Shipping Line: Dominion
Ship description: Built by C. Connell & Co., Glasgow, Scotland. Tonnage: 3,308. Dimensions: 329' x 39'. Single-screw, 12 knots. Compound engines. Two masts and one funnel. Iron hull.
History: Maiden voyage: Liverpool-Quebec-Montreal, October 27, 1879. Wrecked on Belle Isle during a fog, August 4, 1889, with no loss of life. Sister ship: Toronto.

Edited by - AntonH on 28/01/2014 04:50:11
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  04:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not having much luck with your New York dates. The only ship listed on Ancestry.com for May 2, 1880 is named the Flamborough.

The City of Montreal did land in New York on May 10, 1880 with 1539 passengers. About 30 passengers with last name beginning with T but none that looks like Torkildson.

Information from Ancestry.com on the City of Montreal.

Ship Name: City of Montreal
Years in service: 1872-1887
Funnels: 1
Masts: 3
Shipping Line: Inman
Ship description: Built by Tod & McGregor, Glasgow, Scotland. Tonnage: 4,489. Dimensions: 419' x 44'. Single-screw, 12 1/2 knots. Compound horizontal engines. Three masts and one funnel. New compound engines in 1876; also a second funnel installed.
History: Destroyed by fire at sea in August 1887. Passengers and crew were rescued by York City.

Edited by - AntonH on 28/01/2014 04:47:35
Go to Top of Page

cmtodd

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  05:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kåre. Ancestry.com has the passenger lists for the City of Berlin & the City of Montreal. Didn't find the family on either one. It also didn't make sense to me that they would land in New York but then formally enter the U.S. in Port Huron, Michigan.

The Trondheim Police Emigration Report for the family indicates their ship was to depart on 14 April but it lists the ship as the Tasso (which actually left on 15 Apr). I assumed they took the Tasso to Hull & then picked up a transatlantic ship in Liverpool.

I was interested in the report on the website about the problems with the 15 Apr Tasso passenger loading because I wondered if the family may have been among the injured, had to take a later ship and ended up going to a Canadian port. The infant daughter listed on the police report doesn't show up anywhere in the U.S. records (although the first record I have in the US is several years after they arrived).
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  07:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right.
Tasso went a round trip Trondheim-Hull.
Liverpool was much used as dep. port in England.

It was a long journey early April from Lierne to Trondheim with 3 young children.
Since they knew where to travel, Zumbrota, Minnesota, I believe family or friends had emigrated earlier.

537 Kroner for the ticket in 1880 is iquivalent to almost 7000 Dollar in 2013.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 28/01/2014 23:27:54
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  10:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An 1880 journey on April 28. 1880 with SS Tasso to Hull and a 14 days earlier travel is mentioned here with people from Singsås parish on page 54

A journey on Tasso from Trondheim on June 6. 1878 to Hull is mentioned her.
From Hull the journey continued to Liverpool with the Inman Line to New York, dest. Minnesota.
Info only in Norwegian 06.06.1878 Fisherman Hans Olaus Johansen...........

The Inman line, Liverpool link

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 28/01/2014 12:17:05
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  12:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ship list the Inman line dep. Liverpool 1880

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 28/01/2014 12:39:05
Go to Top of Page

cmtodd

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  23:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an incredible resource this group is! Thank you all for the information.

"Lyndal40," thank you so much for the information about Ancestry and the information about the various ships. I have done general Ancestry searches on the passenger lists to no avail. Have also searched the lists for some ships arriving in NY. But I did not realize the Canadian passenger lists were listed there. I will review those in more detail. The family's last name is often misspelled in the US records (Farkelson is the most common misspelling).

Kåre, thank you so much for your insights into their travels, the current cost of their tickets, & the church record info. You are right, the family did have relatives living near Zumbrota. Ellen's parents and sister were there. I am amazed at the courage of the family to move such a long way with such young children. I have found the Norway church records for the births of two of the three children. The youngest, Gunhilda Kristine, was born 3 Sept 1879 in Meråker parish in the Øvre-Stjørdal region. So she was only 7 months when they started their journey. The boys were only 2 and 4 years old.

I found a family tree on Ancestry that lists Kristine's death as 1880 (but this had no documentation). That's what made me wonder if she may have been among the two passenger deaths that occurred during the boarding of the Tasso on 15 Apr. Or perhaps she was one of the passengers who fell in the water and later became sick. Could anyone recommend a place to look for a newspaper or other account of the problems with the 15 Apr passenger boarding of the Tasso? And again, thank you all for the wealth of information you already have provided.
Chris

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  23:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris, Here is the passage you read, and you would like to know more about this:

"On April 15th 1880, an incident happened at the harbor in Trondheim. The Tasso had been moored by the Pier in the Nidelven river to take on passengers, but not all passengers got on board before the low tide came. The ship had to anchor up in the fjord to wait for the rest of the passengers. To get on the ship the passengers had to go by small ferryboats from a floating pier situated in the channel at a place called Ravnkloen. Several thousand people are said to have been there to say farewell to their friends and family. The floating pier was connected to land by a pontoon bridge, and the weight of all these people became too much for the old bridge. It is estimated that ¨ between 100 - 200 people fell into the channel when the bridge broke. At the same time, two ferryboats on their way out to the Tasso were filled with water by heavy seas, and one of them sank. Two people from one of the boats drowned. By a stroke of luck none of the people that fell into the channel were killed, but several had to be taken to hospital."

You ask, What is the source of this passage? It seems to come from the diary of Ingeborg Olsdatter Øye. An excerpt titled "A journey on the S/S Tasso from Christiansund to Hull in 1880" was apparently published in Dordi Glærum Skuggervik's book "Utvandringshistorie fra Nordmøre" (ISBN 02-991394-0-6). Kåre earlier posted a link that mentions this book. Does that help? The board moderator for Norway-Heritage can likely tell you for sure if this is the source. Here's a link to more from the diary:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/articles/templates/voyages.asp?articleid=76&zoneid=6

The family in question, I think:
http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=7&filnamn=EMITROND&gardpostnr=18793&merk=18793#ovre

Edited by - JaneC on 29/01/2014 00:29:22
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  00:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome.
They must have been both strong, Ole and Elen, em. with three small children.
Your Ole was educated; Telegraphist when Gunhilda was baptized in Meråker and clerk when they em. 1880.
They are rec. as leaving Lier municipality (todays Lierne) 1880 which is a distance to Trondheim on ce 220 Kilometer.
Since Ole was born in Lierne it was perahps a last farwell journey
The distance from Meråker where Gunhilda was born to Lierne are ca 130 Km (depending on where in the municip. you lived).

Lierne is today the municipality in Norway that has most bears.

Kåre.

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/01/2014 00:19:53
Go to Top of Page

cmtodd

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  01:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jane for the reference for the Tasso accidents.This is most helpful. I will follow up on this. It may be a false lead, but it is one more loose end to try and tie up. The Emigration Report you posted is the right one--that is the family!

Kåre, thank you for all the new information (and what you sent before--especially the long paper which is answering a lot of the questions I had about the immigration experience). I knew Ole was a clerk (from the Emigration Report), but didn't know he was a Telegraphist. I can't read much in the church records since I don't know Norwegian & the handwriting is difficult for me to read.

I think Ole was actually born in Asker. He's listed in the parish records as being born on 17 Sept 1853. Ellen was the one from the north. She was born in Hegre on 7 Feb 1856. Another mystery is why Ole went north.

They were both strong people from what I can gather. After living in Minnesota for three years, they went to South Dakota where the family was able to get homestead land. Ole's homestead papers indicate that he arrived on his land 31 Mar 1883 and that the family was living in the house by May 1. This means he (and maybe the family) had to travel 288 miles in the middle of winter to get from Minnesota to his new land. Winters in Minnesota & South Dakota can be brutal--temperatures as low as -35 F and lots of snow. Altogether the family had 11 children, but only 7 lived to adulthood. Three children died within a couple of years in South Dakota. I know child deaths were very common during this time; but how heartbreaking it must have been. It takes strength to weather such misfortune.

Thanks to everyone who provided information! I have many new things to enter on the family and many more resources to work through.

Edited by - cmtodd on 29/01/2014 03:31:32
Go to Top of Page

cmtodd

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  01:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry--Just realized Lier and Asker are close. Need to work on my Norway geography!
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  09:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you are right.
Lier is a municipality in Buskerud county in southern Norway close to Asker.
Lier was also a municipality in Nord Trøndelag which later became Lierne was established as a independant parish 1871.
I thougt Ole was born in Lierne.
Need more investigation.

When Gunhilda Kristine was bap. in Meråker 1879 Ole Torgrimsen is rec. as:
Telegrafist born 1850 in Lier and Elen Kristine Kristofersdatter b. 1856.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/01/2014 10:07:45
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  14:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gunhilda Kristinas bap, record from Sept. 3. 1879, father Telegrafist Ole Torgrimsen from Lier b. 1850 #97

Em. from Trondheim April 14. 1880 link
The whole family was from Lier (Lierne to my knowledge)

Trondheim is in central Norway Sør-Trøndelag county
Lier in Buskerud county is in south-east Norway approximately 550 Kilometer from Trondheim.
Em. from Lier in Buskerud was only one day walk from the nearest dep. port which was Oslo

Have you seen Ole Torkildsens bap. record?

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/01/2014 15:13:56
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2014 :  17:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the family arriving in Quebec.

Name: O Forkerdin
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1854
Date of Arrival: 12 May 1880
Vessel: Moravian
Search Ship Database:
Roll: C-4530

Not easy to believe the name transcription, however here is the son Jens M.

Name: Jens Forkerdin
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876
Date of Arrival: 12 May 1880
Vessel: Moravian
Search Ship Database:
Roll: C-4530
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article