All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Inman Line Ships
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  23:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know the relationship between brother-in-Law Iver Einarsen Hastad and sister-in-law Kjerstin Kristoffersdatter Gederaas?

Iver was born out of wedloc, parents; Maid Mali Halvorsdatter Hovskogen and Bachelor Einar Iversen Myrtrøen, both from Hegra. Ivers mother stayed in Norway where she got married and had 4 children. Iver lived in Minnesota as Iver E. Harstad. He married a Norwegian girl and a daughter Gerthy (Gertrude) born Feb. 1900. Last time his Norwegian family heard from him, probably before 1900, he lived in Lecopal Minnesota, probably Lake Opal.

Source only in Norwegian by Arne Langås whos g.grandfather was Ivers half Brother.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 03/06/2015 00:26:29
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  00:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iver in 1920

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 03/06/2015 00:15:20
Go to Top of Page

cmtodd

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  05:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kjerstin's older sister, Beret (Berith) Kristoffersdtr (b. 22 July 1849 in Norway) married Iver Iverson (b. 29 Aug 1840 in Norway) in Minnesota on 30 Oct 1868. Iver is sometimes listed as Iver R. Iverson in the U.S. records. Two family trees on Ancestry.com list him as Iver Rolfseng Iverson or Iver Iverson Rolfseng (no documentation for this). I'm guessing he traveled back to Norway to bring Beret's family to Minnesota and is the Iver Ivers. Røfseng listed on the emigraton report.

Beret emigrated to the US in 1865 (per 1900 US Census) and was Iver's second wife. According to a cemetery transcription, Iver's parents were Iver Siversen and Marie Larsdatter. I haven't been able to find a connection yet between Iver Einersen Harstad and Iver Iverson Rolfseng (or Kjerstin).

Besides the Iver Harstad you found in the 1920 census (on p. 6B), there is also a Iver E Harstad (age 62) (on p. 4B) who also lives in Appleton, MN, spouse is Meta Harstad (age 61), daughter Julia (age 32), son Gustav (age 17). This family emigrated in 1883, however, and this Iver was born in 1858, not 1864.

Here are more census entries for the Iver Harstad that you found in the 1920 census:

1910 Census entry for them in Appleton, Swift County, Minnesota:

Iver A Hastad 47
Mary Hastad 37
Clarence Hastad 11
Gertie Hastad 10
Myrtle Hastad 8
Andrew Hastad 5
Ida Hastad 3
Elmer Hastad 1
[1 3/12]

Looks like Iver has died by 1930 and Mary is still living in Appleton, MN with two of the children:

Mary Harstad 56 (widow)
Clifford Harstad 16
Lester Harstad 14

So far, I haven't found anything in the 1940 census.

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of America Records (1875-1940) provide the following (Appleton, Minnesota is about 50 miles south & east of Morris. Bellington is about 17 miles west of Appleton.)

1) Gertie Harstad born 15 Mar 1900, baptized 13 Apr 1900 in Bellingham, MN (St. Paul's Lutheran Church). Father: Iver Harstad Mother: Marie Harstad
2) Myrtle Harstad born 27 May 1902, baptized 6 Jul 1902 in Bellingham, Minnesota (St. Paul's). Father: Iver Harstad; Mother: Margit Harstad
3) Andrew Willard Harstad born 5 Nov 1904, baptized 11 Dec 1904 in Morris, Minnesota (First Lutheran Church). Father Ivee Hardstad; Mother: Marietto Harstad
4) Ida Magrethe Harstad born 15 Nov 1906, baptized 27 Jan 1907 in Morris, Minnesota (First Lutheran). Father: Iver Harstad, Mother: Magrethe Harstad
5) Elmer Leonard Harsted, born 1 Jan 1909, baptized 14 Mar 1909 in Morris, Minnesota (First Lutheran). Father: Iver Harsted, Mother: Marie Harsted
6) Gladys Lillian Harstad, born 9 Sep 1911, baptized 15 Oct 1911 in Bellingham, Minnesota (St Paul's Lutheran). Father: Iver Harstad, Mother: Margit Harstad
7) Clifford Melvin Harstad born 23 Nov 1913, baptized 11 Oct 1913 in Morris, Minnesota (First Lutheran). Father Iver Harstad, Mother: Mate Sorteberg
8) Lester Bernhard Harstad, born 23 Apr 1916, baptized 5 Mar 1916 in Morris, Minnesota (First Lutheran). Father: Iver Harstad, Mother: Margrete Sorteberg

The only information I can find on a Clarence Harstad that fits his age in the census is a confirmation record: Clarence Edward Harstad, confirmed 8 Jun 1913 at First Lutheran in Morris, Minnesota. Father: Iver Harstad.

Not positive these are the right children, but the dates and parent's names fit and the church locations aren't far from Appleton, MN.

You also asked for more information on Peter/Peder Kristofferson. He was born 21 Aug 1853 in Hegra; son of Kristoffer Jenson & Gunhild. He also emigrated in 1874 but is not on the parish emigration record and wasn't with the family on the ship manifest.
Go to Top of Page

cmtodd

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  15:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iver Harstad died on 25 May 1927 in Swift County, Minnesota per Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002 on ancestry.com.

In 1900, the family lived in Perry, Lac Qui Pari County, MN. Marriage year estimated at 1897. Iver is a grain buyer. Last name spelled as Hastad.
Iver E Hastad 37 Birthdate: Jan 1863
Margit Hastad 26 Birthdate: July 1873
Clarance Hastad 1 Birthdate: Oct 1898
Gerthy Hastad 3/12 Birthdate: Feb 1900

Minnesota Official Marriage System shows marriage:

County: HENNEPIN
Certificate #: 00720336
Marriage Date: 12/07/1896
Groom: HASTAD, IVER
Bride: SORTEBERY, MARGIT

Ancestry.com shows an Iver E Hastad being appointed U.S. Postmaster of Cerro Gordo, Lac Qui Parle, Minnesota on 30 Apr 1887.

So goes by Hastad and Harstad after coming to US.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  16:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The farm Hastad was changed to Harstad in the US probably because of dif. way to pronunce the alphabet, or perhaps Harstad was used in the everyday speech (Hegra dialect).

Peder seems to have vanished, he is not recorded in the em. record from Hegra or the ship lists from Trondheim, Bergen and Oslo.

After 1867 504 persons em. from Størdal to Redwing so it must have been many reunions there.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 03/06/2015 21:58:37
Go to Top of Page

cmtodd

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  18:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kåre. Peder shows up in Belle Creeke, MN in the 1880 census, so he is definitely in the US then. His arrival date in the census records is always 1874. I've never found him on any passage records either.

Red Wing would have been a common destination for people coming to southern Illinois since there was a railroad spur going there and I think it is also on a river. They probably spread out from there to other communities.

Go to Top of Page

cmtodd

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2015 :  03:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the emigration report for Peder. He was listed under Peter Romo, registering 17 Sept 1874, leaving on the Tasso (Inmann line) for Redving. So he left later than the rest of the family. It would be interesting to know why, but I doubt we will ever know.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  00:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome
It looks like he traveled alone, but there were more persons from Hegra/ Stjørdal on Tasso dest. Redwing Sept. 17.
Perhaps S/S Leif was fully booked?

Of interest is the em. record from Hegra on Sept. 12. 1874

Bachelor Peter Kristoffersen Gederaas born August 21. 1853 . Headline last column; "Til Hvad Sted" To what Place. "Drømeland" (Dreamland), right page #33

On the ship list Peters occ. is "Jordarbeider" Field laborer/farmworker.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 05/06/2015 00:31:24
Go to Top of Page

cmtodd

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  04:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How interesting, Kåre! I am sure America was a dreamland for many. Is the Tasso passenger list available online? I haven't found it yet. It would be interesting to see who else from Hegra traveled with him. It is so interesting to see how families emigrate at different times, yet often with their neighbors each time. I may be wrong, but it appears that many infants were dying just prior to when the my relatives left Norway. I'm sure young children were always dying. But it seems more were dying during this period than I've noticed before. Perhaps the period from 1865 - 1874 was an especially difficult time in Norway, leading to increased malnutrition and disease. That would certainly promote emigration.

I finally found Beret Kristoffersdatter (Peter's sister) on the passenger manifest for the Neptunus departing Trondheim on 5 May 1866 for Quebec. She was the first member of Kristoffer Jenson Romo's immediate family to emigrate to America. It looks like she traveled with her aunt's family (Kristoffer Jenson Romo's sister, Kristine Jensdatter Romo (b. 12 Aug 1831) who was married to Lorents Jensen Hastad (b. 22 Sept 1831 in Hegra). Perhaps if I follow Lorents Jensen Hastad's line it will lead to a connection to Iver Einarsen Hastad.

Thank you so much for all the information you have found! I am very grateful for all the help you have provided.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  18:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Red Wing would have been a common destination for people coming to southern Illinois since there was a railroad spur going there and I think it is also on a river. They probably spread out from there to other communities.

For the record, Red Wing is on THE river, the mighty Mississippi. Presuming we're already in Red Wing in 1874, it would be easy to hop a boat headed downstream, south to Illinois.

But WHY would anyone headed to southern Illinois from points east (such as Norway) make a stopover in Red Wing? Seems to me that would be unusual,,not common. From Port Huron at Detroit/Lake Erie, it's equally far overland to Red Wing as to southern Illinois. Ditto for the other routes. The geography doesn't fit the theory...

Also re children dying and starving in Norway ca 1874 in particular in that region, I advise caution about that theory as well. The relevant statement reflects too little data with which to formulate a working hypothesis let alone draw a conclusion.

But certainly an interesting question is: what were social conditions in my ancestor's community and what were his own personal circumstances when he emigrated? That could be studied. As I read Norway Heritage I much enjoy the contextualization some people add and I'll enjoy learning more. To learn more we need to keep an openness to actual facts and evidence. Though you've noticed some child deaths, your sample size is too small to infer anything.

In one thread here once, we had a poster killing off an ancestor in a flash flood simply because the ancestor was in the right state at the right time, death unknown. I considered declaring him the víctim of pirates, but refrained. Later his actual death date and place were found (no flood).

Edited by - JaneC on 05/06/2015 20:00:35
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  19:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was not a "big" child mortality in Hegra 1873-74, ca 10 % were children under 5-6 years.

Kristoffer Jensen Romø leased Gederaas Nov. 1. 1859.
He was a fiddler. Most likely he brougt the fiddle with him to America.

Gederaas (Geiterås) means Goat hill, another name on tha farm was Kalddalen (Cold valley)

Source; The bygdebok from Stjørdal STJØRDALSBOKA

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 05/06/2015 20:05:39
Go to Top of Page

cmtodd

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  06:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Jane. An unfortunate typo. I meant to say Red Wing would have been a common destination for people coming to southern Minnesota. (I live in Illinois, so I suspect my fingers weren't firmly connected to my brain as I was typing.) I agree--it would be unlikely that people would travel to Red Wing in order to get to southern Illinois. My understanding is that by the late 1850's there were companies headquartered in Goodhue County (where Red Wing is located) that specialized in bringing people from Scandinavia to that area. Red Wing (the county seat) was the large city and transportation hub for the area, having access to both the river and the railroads. I had forgotten the river was the Mississippi! Once the good land was taken in Goodhue county, newly arriving families moved on to southwestern Minnesota (e.g., Lac qui Parle county) or further west to states such as South Dakota. This was the case with my family. My great grandfather, Kristoffer Jenson Romo (who arrived in 1874) farmed in Minnesota until he died. My grandfather, Ole Torkildson (married to his Kristoffer's daughter), didn't arrive in Goodhue county until 1880. He worked as a clerk for a while and, after three years, moved the family to South Dakota where he was able to homestead a large parcel of land.

Thanks, Kåre, for the infant mortality data from Hegra. That is most helpful. It is lower than I would have expected. I had recently read a book by Jon Gjerde & Carlton Qualey (Norwegians in Minnesota published in 2002 by the Minnesota Historical Society Press) that seemed to imply that conditions in Norway at this time were challenging: "No massive emigration resulted, however, until the mid-1860s when a combination of overpopulation, food shortages, mechanization, and changing market structures led to farm foreclosures. Even worse, poor crops, coupled with the disappearance of the fickle spring herring run from the Norwegian coasts, resulted in actual starvation. Infant mortality rose, and there were reports of bread made from tree bark" (p. 3).

And thank you for the bygdebok information. It looks similar to the one I got through Trønderlag of America (an organization here for descendents of emigrants from the Trønderlag region of Norway). I'm still working my way through all the information! What a resource the bydebøker (is that the plural??) are. I only wish I could read Norwegian. I find the online translators a bit lacking at times.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  21:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cmtodd

Iver Harstad died on 25 May 1927 in Swift County, Minnesota per Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002 on ancestry.com.

In 1900, the family lived in Perry, Lac Qui Pari County, MN. Marriage year estimated at 1897. Iver is a grain buyer. Last name spelled as Hastad.
Iver E Hastad 37 Birthdate: Jan 1863
Margit Hastad 26 Birthdate: July 1873
Clarance Hastad 1 Birthdate: Oct 1898
Gerthy Hastad 3/12 Birthdate: Feb 1900

Minnesota Official Marriage System shows marriage:

County: HENNEPIN
Certificate #: 00720336
Marriage Date: 12/07/1896
Groom: HASTAD, IVER
Bride: SORTEBERY, MARGIT

Ancestry.com shows an Iver E Hastad being appointed U.S. Postmaster of Cerro Gordo, Lac Qui Parle, Minnesota on 30 Apr 1887.

So goes by Hastad and Harstad after coming to US.

#21 right hand page possibly the wife Margit Sorteberg:
Source information: Buskerud county, Ål, Parish register (official) nr. I 7 (1865-1881), Birth and baptism records 1873, page 57.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=5914&idx_id=5914&uid=ny&idx_side=-57
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  00:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good finding.

That is Ivers wife, Margit K (Knudsdatter) Sorteberg born July 1. 1873; Parents Knud Haagensen and Gunild Larsdatter Sorteberg.
Sorteberg - Black hill.

Margit had six siblings born before 1865

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

cmtodd

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  06:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still looking for a connection between the Kristoffer Jensen Romo family and Iver Einarsen Hastad. Looked at the godparents listed for Iver (# 10, 8 Jan 1863 in Hegra): http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?urnread_imagesize=gigant&info=ingen&hode=nei&show=3&uid=249113&js=j

Hard to read the names. Could the name starting at the end of the second line be Lorents Jensen Hastad? If so, Kristoffer Jenson Romo's sister, Kristine Jensdr Romo (b. 12 Aug 1831, Hegra), married a Lorents Jensen Hastad (b. 23 Sept 1831, Hegra) in 1852 (per 1900 US census). Lorents and Kristine emigrated to the US in 1866 (per 1900 census).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article