All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Erik Larsen's parents
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ellenlarsen325
Starting member

Austria
12 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2014 :  16:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I've gotten some help on him before. However, after double checking dates on the information provided I've found staggering inaccuracies. For example, Erik was born in 1808 yet someone had "found" him in the 1801 census. So, I ask again for some assistance finding information on Erik Larsen. The information I have is:
Birth: 24 Dec, 1808 Tromso, Norway
Baptism: 9 Mar, 1809 same place
Marriage: 16 May 1857 Troms, Norway
Death: 1871 Tromso, Norway

His parents names are Lars Erichsen and Margarethe Andersdatter.
His spouse is Johanne Margrethe Christiansdatter.

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2014 :  17:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#189 Erich Larsen
Born: Dec 1808 (11 weeks old)
Christening: 05 Mar 1809, Tromsø, Troms, Norway
Parents: Lars Erichsen & Margarethe Andersdr, Løgvig
Source: Troms county, Tromsø, Parish register (official) nr. 6 (1806-1821), Birth and baptism records 1809, page 182-183.

Edited by - jwiborg on 20/05/2014 17:01:26
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2014 :  17:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ellenlarsen325

Ok, so I've gotten some help on him before. However, after double checking dates on the information provided I've found staggering inaccuracies. For example, Erik was born in 1808 yet someone had "found" him in the 1801 census.

Not quite and not on this site. This is copied / pasted from one your other topics on Erik.

"Erik Larsen was born 1809, baptized 11 weeks old on March 5, see No 189
Kildeinformasjon: Troms fylke, Tromsø, Ministerialbok nr. 6 (1806-1821), Fødte og døpte 1809, side 182-183.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9701&idx_id=9701&uid=ny&idx_side=-30.
His parents were Lars Erichsen and Margarethe Andersdatter, Løvig.

Eriks parents and siblings in 1801
http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=6&filnamn=f18011902&gardpostnr=84&personpostnr=2692&merk=2692#ovre."
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2014 :  17:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can search the Ancestry.com data base for births in Norway. While probably not totally complete, the only person that fits your description is the person found by Jan Peter and Jackie. Here is the Ancestry.com record.

Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927 about Erich Larsen
Name: Erich Larsen
Birth Date: des 1808 (Dec 1808)
Baptism Date: 5 mar 1809
Baptism Place: , Tromso, Troms, Norway
Father: Lars Erichsen
Mother: Margarethe Andersdr
FHL Film Number: 127178
Go to Top of Page

ellenlarsen325
Starting member

Austria
12 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2014 :  18:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This would have made his mother 45 at the time of Erik's birth and his father 48. Not to mention the family has a child named Eric already who is 14. If the conclusion is that these are his siblings and parents as a result of this information then it is false as he was born in 1808.

http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=6&filnamn=f18011902&gardpostnr=84&personpostnr=2692&merk=2692#ovre."
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2014 :  18:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother was 45 when my younger sister was born. What's wrong with that? It isn't that unusual.

A family can give the same name to two different children. It isn't that unusual in Norwegian traditional naming.

Have you found a better family alternative to propose?

-------------
If you check the Tromsø death records within the 6-9 months before the 1808 Erik was born you will find that the older brother also named Erik had died.

Online study material to learn about Norwegian naming practices and patterns:
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na12.html
http://www.nndata.no/home/jborgos/names.htm
http://www.norwayheritage.com/norwegian-names.htm
http://www.nndata.no/home/jborgos/farms.htm

Edited by - Hopkins on 20/05/2014 20:01:06
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2014 :  22:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the one in the census:

Eric Larsen
Christening: 11 May 1788 (Pinsedag/Pentecost 1788), Tromsø, Troms, Norway
Father: Lars Ericsen, Lokvijen
Source: Troms county, Tromsø, Parish register (official) nr. 3 (1779-1796), Birth and baptism records 1788, page 40.

The Eric Larsen baptised May 1788 and the Eric Larsen baptised March 1809 are born on the same farm, and their father have the same name.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2014 :  00:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This would have made his mother 45 at the time of Erik's birth and his father 48. Not to mention the family has a child named Eric already who is 14. If the conclusion is that these are his siblings and parents as a result of this information then it is false as he was born in 1808.

[/quote]

The post didn't claim that your Erik was in the 1801 census as you claimed when you started this-- your 3rd topic--on Erik Larsen.

You have the same opportunity as anyone else to check the truth by going through the baptismal registers of Tromsø to find a better candidate Erik. I'll put in the link to the registers to assist your search:

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_id=9701

Each of your topics on Erik started with the same basic information b. 1808, etc. Where did you get that initial information?

Edited by - jkmarler on 21/05/2014 00:13:57
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2014 :  01:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ellen - You can study how to do the searches of the church records yourself.

The Digitalarkivet web site has been adding scanned images of the original Norwegian parish church records for anyone with Internet access since November 2005.

The Digitalarkivet web site - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage.
A newer homepage has been put up at (http://arkivverket.no/digitalarkivet) and the same resources are available there and an English option is clickable up near the upper right of that screen. The older entry point is still operational until toward the end of 2014 and I will continue to describe only the older entry as that is the one I personally prefer (and I'm too lazy to rewrite my instructions today).

The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed along the left hand column and from the blue banner of links along the top section of the homepage.
Clicking on "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] will bring up another screen and listing to choose from. Choose "Lesa skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Read the digitised parish records" [English version].
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

For the protection of privacy, there are limits for how recent church records can be published:

- Birth and baptism records up to and including 1929
- Confirmation records up to and including 1934
- Marriage and banns records - no limits
- Civil marriage up to and including 1950
- Death, burial and stillbirth records up to and including 1930
- Migration records - no limits
- Joins and leavings of the State Church up to and including 1950
- Records about dissenters up to and including 1950

If you cross these limits while browsing a register or a list, you will not see the digitised image, but a message informing you that the image cannot be displayed.

Not all church records up to those limits will necessarily be available in the online digitized collection or in the microfilm collection of the LDS Family History Library. Those MIGHT be available at the appropriate archives of the Norwegian Lutheran Church iin Norway.

Go to Top of Page

ellenlarsen325
Starting member

Austria
12 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2014 :  15:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I apologize for any toes that have been stepped upon. I just do not find it entirely plausible that his mother would still be bearing children at that age, keeping the consideration that it is 1808 and all. All information I have on Erik is based upon marriage records, death and birth records as well as family documents.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2014 :  15:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish you the best of luck in your research.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2014 :  16:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I apologize for any toes that have been stepped upon. I just do not find it entirely plausible that his mother would still be bearing children at that age, keeping the consideration that it is 1808 and all. All information I have on Erik is based upon marriage records, death and birth records as well as family documents.

My point was not personal outrage--I hadn't even posted the original post which you miscontrued. But your words do exercise me: "staggering inaccuracies" and "false" are what you wrote. Often we disagree on site but seldom to we need to stoop to pejoratives like that to make the point. Since you have been benefiting from the charitability of this site since at least 2012 I'd think you'd be a bit more charitable yourself!

Now you have gone on to make another assumption this one about the length of a woman's fertility in the early 1800s. Do you have any expertise in this issue? The proof is in the pudding, since in those days the likeliest birth control is only the word "Nei." They didn't need fertiliity treatments, Mother Nature ruled.

The only falsity I see is that you assume you know something when you haven't even searched the actual records. Your lack of experience is revealed.

Fortunately for you lack of education is the most easily overcome of all shortcomings. You need to let the records speak for themselves and keep your untimely & unnecessary conclusions to yourself until you have gathered all the factual information.

I echo Hopkins, good luck indeed because you will need it to overcome that attitude.
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2014 :  21:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erik Larsen Løgvig, born 1788, died Sept 1808, 20 1/2 years old:
Tromsø, Ministerialbok nr. 6 (1806-1821), Døde og begravede 1809, side 824-825
And the parents followed the tradition and named the next son Erik.

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge

Edited by - hasto on 21/05/2014 23:08:56
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2014 :  00:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have been following this thread and agree with others that the guest's ignorances have been betrayed by her lack of respect for all who have tried to help her.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article