All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Require help in interpreting marriage records
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marlys Nelson
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2014 :  18:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would appreciate help in interpreting and translating Digital Arkivet marriage records.
1st record: marriage of Joen Joensen to Marit Andersdtr. dated 13.4.1746. Engagement is dated 4.3.1746.
The record is second from the top on the second page.
Nord-Trøndelag fylke, Stjørdal, Ministerialbok nr. 709A04 (1740-1756), Trolovede 1746, side 269.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=16370&idx_id=16370&uid=ny&idx_side=-271

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070925610306.jpg

2nd record: marriage of Joen Bertelesen Fløgjerdet and Anne Olsdtr. dated 25.01.1719. Engagement I believe was in Mar 1718. The record is on the bottom of the first page.
Nord-Trøndelag fylke, Stjørdal, Ministerialbok nr. 709A01 (1714-1729), Forlovererklæringer 1718, side 26.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=16367&idx_id=16367&uid=ny&idx_side=-25

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070924660191.jpg

There seems to be more information included within the records then in the normal engagement and marriage records.

Thank for your help. Gene Nelson

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2014 :  12:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is diff. Reading, its written in Gothic that I have not learned.

Joen Joensen Aasen under Floan
" Caverte" Guarantors/Best men; Christopher Larsen Floan and Joen Jacobsen Floan.

Married in Værnes church

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 14/08/2014 13:30:58
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2014 :  13:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2nd marraige 1718 between Joen Bertelsen and Ane Olsdatter "fra" from Trunds: (there was a farm Trondseth in Stjørdal in the 1801 census)
Correct, Engagement in March, actuallay on Dominica Reminiscere; 2nd Sunday of Lent; March Sunday 13.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 14/08/2014 19:13:10
Go to Top of Page

Marlys Nelson
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2014 :  18:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, thanks to Kåarto for taking a stab at the marriage records in question. There is no problem with the names of the men and women getting married but there is information within the record that I had hoped would tell me more about the brides such where they were from, seocnd marriage, etc.
In the case of the first marriage in question, Joen Joensen Aasen under Floan .......some information....Joen Jacobsen... and then.. Marit Andersd ......some information. The question is what is being written. Unfortunately, the white patches placed over the witnesses thumb prints kind covers some of the info.
In the case of the second marriage, Joen Bertelsen Fløgjerdet and Ane Olsd. fra Trundh:......some information...Sebastian Whitte dode 17 Novenb 1717 .......more info. Is Sebastian Whitte
Ane's 1st husband?
I was hoping that there was genealogical information hidden in all the ..... areas.
Thanks again for your help.
Gene Nelson
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2014 :  20:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding Joen Bertelsen Fløgjerdet and Ane Olsdatter:

Ane Olsdatter is from Trundh:, ie. Trondheim.
Single people who moved from 1 parish to another, (ie. from Trondheim to Stjørdal) often had to bring a certificate with them, to prove for the priest in the new parish (who didn't knew the "immigrant"), that the person was not bound in marriage, engaged, etc.

Part of the page read:
"... andbragt attest ... fra mag: Sebastian Whitte af dato 17 November 1717, og at ... ... ... ægteskabs føldbyrde ... ... til hinder for ..."

"... brought certificate .. from Magister Sebastian Whitte dated 17. November 1717, and that .... consummated marriage (???) ... ... (not) preclude ... "

Magister Sebastian Christophersen With was born 1656 in Sunndalsøra, and died 20 Aug 1721 in Trondheim. He was a pastor ("sogneprest") at Vår Frue Church in Trondheim 1684-1721. It is likely that Ane Olsdatter was from an area near Vår Frue Church in Trondheim, and belonged to that congregation.

Thus; I think it says that Ane Olsdatter had a certificate issued by pastor Sebastian With from Trondheim, saying that she was not bound in any marriage.

Edited by - jwiborg on 14/08/2014 20:24:31
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2014 :  21:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding the first record: Joen Joensen's farmname is Fløan. "Fløgjerdet" is a farm under Fløan.

I believe the white patches covers the farmowner's personal mark ("signature"). This is Joen Jacobsen Fløan's personal mark:

These signs were used because most of the farmers could not read or write. They had their personal sign if they had to sign an official document, like a marriage record. Not sure who or why these personal marks are covered in the churchbook above. Interesting...
A different signature of him can be seen on bottom page 272...

Could Johan Johnsen Auran (Fløan) be Joen Joensen Fløan?
He is not married to Marit Andersdatter though, but Mali Greisdatter Auran....

Edited by - jwiborg on 14/08/2014 23:00:23
Go to Top of Page

Marlys Nelson
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2014 :  02:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to jwiborg for the info he supplied. With regards to Johan Joensen Auran (Floan) f. ca. 1700 who married Mali Greisdtr. Auran f. ca. 1705 and Joen Joensen Fløgjerdet f. Dedc 1720, they are a generation apart.
However, they are both my relatives. Mali's brother, Ivar Greisen Auran/Forbord f. ca. 1698 is one of my g......grandfathers and Joen Joensen Fløgjerdet is another of my g......grandfathers. I'm getting back to where it's difficult to find source information on their births, marriages, and deaths plus their wifes and childred. The bygdeboks are helpful but not good sources.
Thanks again for your help, Gene Nelson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article