All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Looking for T(h)oro Storhaug / Storlien / Lee
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

peterstorlien
Starting member

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2014 :  22:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am searching for Toro Storhaug, daughter of my great grandparents Syver Perrson (Storlien) (Lee) and my great grandmother Brit Torkjellsdotter (Bakkeberg) (Storlien) (Lee).
Any information would be appreciated as I have been searching for her for months with all different combinations of names on Ancestry, FamilySearch, Norwegian Archives with no luck.

Toro (or Thoro or Thora) was born on Nov. 23,1842 on Storhaugen farm - Plassen near Lom in Oppland. (record found in Lom parish records)

Thoro Storhoug is shown to have received a re-issued passport for America on April 6, 1859.
She is listed in the Lom parish records as emigating in April, 1859.

Syver & Brit, after their marriage in 1833, lived first as lodgers on Bakkeberg and Upphaug farm, then as tenant farmers on Storhaugen farm from 1842. In 1845 they purchased Sor Juland farm, but hardly lived here. They came next to Leirdalen - Nedre Storlii (Storlien Nedre) when they sold Storhaugen in 1863. By 1865 they referred to themselves as the landowners but did not have title to the property. In 1866 Syver and Brit along with six of their grown children emigrated to America, with
Syver Persson – born 1811 - emigrated to America in 1866 Brit Torkjeldsdatter, his wife – born 1807 - emigrated to America in 1866 Syver and Brit were married in 1833 in Lom, Oppland, Norway Their children (all born in Lom): 2. Ingrid – born 1835 – emig. to America in 1866- died 1879 in MN, USA 3. Marit – born 1838 – emig. to America in 1866- died 1916 in MN, USA 4. Brit – born 1840 – emig. to America in 1866- died 1903 in MN, USA 5. Toro born 1842 - emig. to America in 1859- date & place of death unknown 8. Per - born 1846 - emig. to America in 1866- died 1906 in SK, Canada 9. Mari - born 1848 - emig. to America in 1866,- died 1920 in MN, USA 10. Torkjell - born 1851 - emig. to America in 1866- died 1919 in WA, USA

The family used the surname "Storlien" when leaving the parish and used this name on the passenger manifest of the "Gustav Adolphe" that sailed from Bergen in May 14, 1866 & arrived Montreal June 16, 1866.
Upon arriving in America in 1866, they adopted the present day LEE name as their legal surname, presumably an abbreviated, “Americanized” version of their Norwegian farm name.

This family, except for Thoro who had preceded them to America in 1859, emigrated as a group to the Long Lake district of Watonwan County in the state of Minnesota, USA which is approximately 8 miles southwest of the present day city of St. James.

Edited by - peterstorlien on 27/10/2014 22:06:44

peterstorlien
Starting member

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2014 :  22:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made a few mistakes in my hurry to make my original posting.

Thoro Storhoug is shown to have received a re-issued passport for America on April 6, 1859 not 1858 as I had stated in error.

She is listed in the Lom parish records as emigating in April, 1859, not 1866 as I had stated in error.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2014 :  00:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not an easy task, but we must start somewhere, so here is probably the family minus Thoro of course in the 1870 US Census.

1870 United States Federal Census
Name: Sever Lee
Age in 1870: 60
Birth Year: abt 1810
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1870: Long Lake, Watonwan, Minnesota
Race: White
Post Office: Madelia
Value of real estate:
View image
Household Members:
Name Age
Sever Lee 60
Betsy Lee 62
Peter Lee 23
Thomas Lee 21
Mary Lee 20
Torre Lee 11
Go to Top of Page

peterstorlien
Starting member

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2014 :  05:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for the quick reply.

I have searched the 1870, 1880, 1885, 1895, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, & 1940 USA census records tracing the "Lee's" but none of them help in tracing Thoro (nor any variation of the name) as she does not appear to be in any of them. Nor does she show up in any death records nor in any marriage records in which I can confirm her identity.
Nor does she appear in the MOMS (Minnesota Official Marriage System) database. I realize that she did not necessarily have to have been married in Minnesota but I searched it as well.

Hopefully I will be able to track her down as her is the last of my grandfather's six siblings for which I do not have emigrant ship passenger manifest info, marriage info, locations where she lived, nor her death location and her date of death.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2014 :  16:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thorø Syversdatter, Storhoug, 17 years old, moved out from Lom April 4 1859, see #40 bottom of right page. (She was given attestations on April 2.)

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 27/10/2014 16:29:02
Go to Top of Page

peterstorlien
Starting member

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2014 :  19:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your response.

I had previously found this info in the parish register for Lom; please see my original post "...She is listed in the Lom parish records as emigating in April, 1859..."

The missing information that I am finding so difficult in locating is:
-her name on emigrant ship passenger manifest (I have previously found her parents and her six siblings under the name of "Storlien" on the passenger manifest of the "Gustav Adolphe" that sailed from Bergen on May 14, 1866 & arrived Montreal June 16, 1866 which was 7 years after Thoro had supposedly(?) emigrated to America in 1859)

-her marriage info (if any)

-locations where she lived (on census or other lists i.e. voters lists, other lists)

-her date of death

-location of her death

-her burial location

Again, thank you for your response, it is much appreciated.

Edited by - peterstorlien on 27/10/2014 22:07:43
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  01:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, a tough one. In that case, every detail could possibly help. You certainly did allude to the 1859 Lom leaving record, but did not post it. Einar kindly did so. Thanks to that link, volunteer researchers can view the record, rather than having only that condensed version, the highlights, that you provided. Scanning the original, one notices other travelers, including a handful of 17-year-olds taking off for America. Possibly some of these may have tickets for the same ship as Thore. Their names could be added to your basket of search terms and might turn up in a digital search, and an examination of that handwritten manifest might then find her. A transcription would be helpful; can you read that record better than I can?

Since one is resigned now to finding Thore the hard way, another homework assignment is to post what is her likely port of departure and her ETA there. Then check the Departures section of this Norway Heritage website. There you will see that most likely her ship will sail to Quebec. Given the port of departure and timing, one could factor which are likely ships and time frames. Adding ship names may possibly help, as search terms.

Quebec arrivals can be found on a Canadian genealogy site. Manifests of passengers arriving can be searched there. Perhaps you have already tried that.

Thore could have married before 1860. Finding her marriage record would be helped by knowing her location, obviously, and you've tried. Again maybe she has companions who are more trackable.

jkmarler often dredges up records from the ELCA archives. They are available, I think, on Archives.com, a pay site. Baptismal records, marriage records of family members, found at their churches, may turn up Thore as a godparent, etc. To pursue this, one wants a list of the relevant churches and applicable years.

Wisconsin seems to be a common mid-1800s landing spot. Wisconsin genealogy index at historical society is searchable and includes records early enough. Maybe you've tried that website.

Another approach is to search death records of her unknown, hypothetical children. A son might have her father's first name and a daughter might have her mother's first name. Add mother maiden name Lee (and alternates) to the search. This is not too promising - a long shot.

Some local newspapers for Minnesota and some other states are searchable at Chronicling America (Library of Congress), 1800s-1922.

Forgive me not posting links to sites, but you might know all these. If any are new and you need a link, I will post them tomorrow.

Edited by - JaneC on 28/10/2014 02:04:10
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  04:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Per Jane's note about godparents / faddernes. In your other topic on the Peter Lee family these are the baptismal records of his children. Who is the Thora Lee godparent to Inga and Tora Teigen godparent to Anna Torina?

"In the ELCA baptisms database there are these from Long Lake Lutheran in Watonwan county, Minnesota:

Syver Ingval b. 27 July 1884 bapt 5 Oct 1884 parents Peter Lien Marit Lien
faddernes: Ole O. Horten, Marith Oleson, Hans Larsen, Anne H. Larsen

Inga Marie b. 10 Mar 1886, bapt 13 June 1886 parents Peder Lee, Marie Lee
faddernes: Ole T. Berge, Sofie Peders., Torkel Lee, Thora Lee

Bertine Oline b. 16 Apr 1888, bapt 22 July 1888 parents Peter & Marit Lien
faddernes: Ole Olstad, Ingeborg Olstad, Peder Lien

Anna Torina b. 7 Jan 1890 bapt 27 July 1890 parents Peder & Marit Lien
faddernes: Egil Ormbret, Tora Teigen, Nils Runten, Tinne Runten

Pauline Marie b. 14 June 1894 bapt 5 Aug 1894 parents Peder & Marit Lien
faddernes: Egil & Gunhild Ormbraek, Randine Ormbraek, C. Melheim "

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  15:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a Thora Lee in the Minnesota State Census. Interesting that she is living in Watonwan County. The orginal census form shows her living next to Peter Lee and Maret Lee and family. She is shown in the household of T. S. Lee with one small child Berlina Lee age 2, and Berit Lee age 78 and Marit Lee age 49. All born in Norway except for the child. Birth year for Thora is off quite a bit.

Minnesota, Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
Name: Thora Lee
Census Date: 1 May 1885
County: Watonwan
Locality: Long Lake
Birth Location: Norway
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
LINE: 34
Roll: MNSC_31

Edited by - AntonH on 28/10/2014 16:04:25
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  15:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, the 1880 Census seems to show the family but no Thora.

1880 United States Federal Census
Name: Torkel S. Lee
Birth Year: abt 1849
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1880: Long Lake, Watonwan, Minnesota
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's name: Bridta Lee
Mother's Birthplace: Nor
Neighbors:
View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Torkel S. Lee 31
Bridta Lee 73
Marit S. Lee 45

Edited by - AntonH on 28/10/2014 15:57:19
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  15:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Torkel died in Washington State, but the death record does give his parents names.

Washington, Deaths, 1883-1960
Name: Torkel S Lee
Birth Date: abt 1851
Death Date: 21 Oct 1919
Age at Death: 68
Death Location: Stanwood, Snohomish, Washington
Father: Syvert P Lee
Mother: Brite Bakkebery
Record Source: Washington State Death Records
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  16:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birth Record for Bertina Lee, Father and Mother both have same last name. Is that real?

Minnesota, Births and Christenings Index, 1840-1980
Name: Bertina Nellie Lee
Birth Date: 31 May 1883
Father's Name: Torkel L. Lee
Mother's name: Tora Lee
FHL Film Number: 1671933
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  16:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably the same Tora Lee in 1895 Minnesota State Census. Also same birth year as earlier. Casts some doubt on this Thora Lee. Living with Thorkel age 33, daughter Britina age 12, and Berit age 88.

Minnesota, Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
Name: Tora Lee
Census Date: 1895
County: Watonwan
Locality: Long Lake
Birth Location: Norway
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
LINE: 35
Roll: V290_103

Go to Top of Page

peterstorlien
Starting member

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  20:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone for their replies.
I apologize for not posting a link to Thoro's 1859 Lom leaving record; I must learn how to do this.

Re: Jackie's reply re: godparents named Toro & Thora:
- the godparent identified in Anna Torina's baptism ( Tora Teigen), I had previously found her in the Minnesota deaths index and eliminated her re: wrong age (by many years) and wrong parents
-the godparent identified in Inga Marie's baptism (Thora Lee) , this person is my great uncle Torkel Lee's wife. Her maiden name was Nelson; parents were Nils & Mari. Torkel & his wife Thoro were also godparents to my father, Oliver Lee b. 1891.

Both Torkel & his wife Toro Lee died in Snohomish County, Washington State; Torkel in 1919 and Thoro in 1939. The death record that lyndal40 cites is correct; I had previously found this record and the names of his parents as shown on the death certificate are the same names that are shown in the Bygdabok for Lom 4 as the parents of my grandfather Peter, my uncle Torkel, and their 5 sisters who lived on nedre Storlii Farm (or Storlien nedre Farm) in the Leirdalen Valley of Oppland, Norway.

They must have had sold their farm in Watonwan County, Minnesota and purchased a farm in Snohomish County, Washington State. (perhaps to escape the harsh Minnesota winters in their declining years?) This would have taken place between 1910 and the time of Torkel's death in 1919 (they show up as living back on the farm in Long Lake district of Watonwan County in 1910 after showing up living in town in St. James in the previous census.)

Re: 1895 Minnesota State Census, Bertina Nellie Lee was the daughter of Torkel & Thora, and she was my father's cousin. Brit aged 88 was my great grandmother. She was born in 1807 and lived to the age of 99 years and died in 1906.

I will follow up on search suggestions from JaneC.

Again, many thanks for your replies; they are much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  21:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries Peter, just explaining that seeing a full record really helps - whether a link, or a transcription (typed up version of all the info in it).

Seems to me the 1859 Lom leaving record #32 and #33 refers to the following family. (Came back to add that an Ancestry.com public family tree agrees - Listoe Family Tree.)

1860 in Blue Mounds, Dane, Wisconsin
Ole Olson 35, Marit Olson 25, Ole G Olson 3 months b Wi

1870 in Blue Mounds, Dane, Wisconsin
Ole Nystuen 45, Marit 34, Ole 10, Peter 8, Sam 3, Ingebret 1

1880 still in Blue Mounds, Henry and Emil new additions

1900 in New Prairie, Pope, Minnesota
Ole O Nystuen 75 born Oct 1824 Norway, married 41 years, immigrated 1860
Marit Nystuen 65 b Oct 1835 Norway, had 6 children, 5 are living
Emil Nystuen 25

Find-a-Grave memorial for Ole and Marit, here:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=74753518&ref=acom

Edited by - JaneC on 28/10/2014 22:57:46
Go to Top of Page

peterstorlien
Starting member

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2014 :  17:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jane, I have done some preliminary searching of death records of anyone whose mother's name corresponds with Thora's (and variations) .
I will continue on upcoming weekend when I will have time to conduct a more systematic search.

Thanks for your reply
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article