All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Looking for information on Sigurd Gautesson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

sabingd
Medium member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2015 :  04:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your comments are noted and very well taken. In the future I will take more effort to double check my findings. It is not my intention to take advantage of the work you do and the information you share. I will be more careful in the future.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2015 :  13:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies, Gloria/Dave, if I implied in any way that anyone has "taken advantage of" the forum. To the contrary, I wrote, "Let the forum help you..." I have no doubt the forum appreciates and enjoys the questions you've brought forward.

Back to delete longer remark. Point was the need for you to bring here the trail from you to Sigurd before the forum can answer your question: Am I descended from Sigurd's ancestors?

Edited by - JaneC on 03/02/2015 00:36:19
Go to Top of Page

sabingd
Medium member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2015 :  18:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the time you took to clarify this. I think I was doing ok for a while last month by delving into the information of the first four gennerations. Then after the DNA test and matches came out, I started pulling up more and more trees with all this royalty and I think I became star struck leaving well grounded research behind.

I have gone back through some of these trees and I will take them with a grain of salt in the future.

Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

sabingd
Medium member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2015 :  18:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will end this thread. Time for me to get back to work and leave the kings for another day.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2015 :  08:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome back.
I have more info on the Gaute/Gautesson Family.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

sabingd
Medium member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2015 :  20:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still open to any information on the family.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2015 :  23:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, maybe one of your ancestors is this man memorialized on Find-a-Grave:

Thr following is according to Find-a-Grave.
Andrew (Anders) Danielson Rake
Born 22 July 1837 "born at Loen farm in Styrn, Sogn og Fjordane"
Died 21 July 1906 Winnebago county, Iowa, USA.
Notes: Married 1871 Elisabeth Brekke. Emigrated together from Bergen 17 May 1871 on the Argo.
(Passenger list available on this website.)
Anders's parents are said to be the great-great grandparents you mention on page 1, so maybe you have all the documentation for Anders?

Back in an edit: See below; Anders was not born in Stryn.

Edited by - JaneC on 02/02/2015 22:23:11
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2015 :  23:18:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sabingd

.... my 2nd great granfather Daniel Andersen Loen or (possibly Daniel Andersen Loen Rake), born and died in Norway. My 2nd great grand mother and spouce of Daniel, was Gjertrud Elisabeth Arntsdatter Rake, Birth 1815 in Innvik, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway....Daniels mother who is, Davidsdtr Mindre Sunde.

This seems to be your solid starting point - is that right?

Birth-Baptism
Anders Danielsen Rake
22 July 1837
Parents:
Daniel Andersen Loen
Gjertrud Elisabeth Arntsdr: Rake
SOURCE: Sogn og Fjordane fylke, Innvik, Ministerialbok nr. A 4I (1831-1846), Fødte og døpte menn 1837, side 33.

Birth-Baptism
Elisabeth
14 May 1844
Parents: Lasse Johnsen
Barbara Amundsdatter, Brekke
SOURCE: Sogn og Fjordane fylke, Innvik, Ministerialbok nr. A 4I (1831-1846), Fødte og døpte kvinner 1844, side 159.

Find a Grave bio found here
says these two people (Anders and Elisabeth, above) got married. FAG says married in Norway and emigrated together, but they don't look married to me as they depart. Here are some records to consider:

Note in the parish registry as leaving Stryn, Sogn og Fjordane, going to Amerika: Aamund Lassesen Brekke and Elisabeth Lassesdatter Brekke (seemingly brother and sister)
40-43

Passengers on the Argo: Aamund and Elisabeth (residence Stryn) and Anders Danielsen Rake (residence Indviken), departing Bergen 14 May 1871 - so seemingly Anders and Elisabeth are not married, or at least are not listed same residence:
107-109

The two (Anders and Elisabeth) married in 1872 - but emigrated 1871 - according to the 1900 census - so married after emigrating. Perhaps this could be their marriage, in Faribault county, Minnesota - this is iffy, needs more research:
19 Jan 1872

And then the two in in Fairbault county in 1880:

Seely, Faribault county, Minnesota
Andrew D. Rakke 36 b Norway
Elesebet L. Rakke 34 b Norway
Gertrud Rakke 8 b Minnesota
Lars Rakke 6 b Minnesota
Danel B. Rakke 1 b Minnesota

Iowa Gravestone Project (Iowa Genweb) has posted a photo of Elisabeth's grave with the following information:

Elizabeth Brekke Rake
Burial West Lutheran aka West Rake Cemetery
Rake, Winnebago, Iowa
"Elizabeth was the wife of Anders D Rake. She was the daughter of Mons and Barbara Brekke." The father's name of Mons contrasts with father named on your family tree (Lasse). Guess my point here is this is an example of what we talked about - how often family trees disagree with each other or with the facts.

In 1865 census on Brække farm in Stryn, Barbaraa Amundsen is a widow; shown with Amund Lassessen. Just above on the page is a Mons Johnsen -(age 3)- could be the origin of the Mons story, but who knows.

Edited by - JaneC on 03/02/2015 00:39:25
Go to Top of Page

sabingd
Medium member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  01:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jane. I will go over this and get back to you.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  13:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anders Danielsen was born out of wedlock. The parents were married Jan 6 1840, see #4.
They were married in Olden church.

Anders father, Daniel Andersen, was baptized Nov 26 1809, see #15.
His parents were Anders Marcussen and Ingebor Davidsdatter, Loen.

Anders and his wife, Anders parents and siblings in 1801.

Anders Marcussens parents, Marchus Andersen, Hatlem and Birthe Simonsdatter, Loen was married Nov 6 1768, see 7th couple from bottom of left page.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/02/2015 09:23:00
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  13:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elisabeth Lassesdatters parents, Lasse Johnsen, Brecke and Barbro Aamundsdatter, Glomnæs, were married Nov 23 1830, see #286.

Lasse was baptized January 12 1806, see #2 right page.
His parents listed as John and Anna Brekke.
John Lassesen, Brekke, his parents and siblings in 1801.

John Lassesens parents Lasse Jørgensen, Østre Mo and Susanna Jonsdatter, Brecke, were married Jan 6 1773, 3rd couple from bottom of 1772.

John Lassesen and Anna Knudsdatter were married April 1 1804, see 5th couple on left page.
Anna Knudsdatter, her mother and stepfather and her siblings in 1801.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/02/2015 09:34:45
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  16:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sabingd,

I wonder if you are aware of this family tree on Geni.com

Daniel Andersen Loen
Place of Burial: Loen, Stryn, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Birth: 1809
Stryn, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Death: February 12, 1894 (85)
Innvik, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway

http://www.geni.com/people/Daniel-Loen/6000000012724597487

I followed one of the family lines of this person on the Geni.com web site back to
Audun Hestakorn Hugleiksson Hegranes born about 1240 and reputed to be part of the Smør and Bolt families. Both Medieval Royal Norwegian famiies.

http://www.geni.com/people/Audun-Hegranes/6000000013218194589

One needs to check the family lines carefully and especially be wary of lines extending back beyond 1500. But they can provide much information and links to people related to you.

Edited by - AntonH on 03/02/2015 16:57:08
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  17:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Geni.com family tree linked above is managed by a Jahn Harald Loen. It has been added onto by a Daniel Jon Winkel and includes

Andrew Danielsen Loen Rake
Birth: July 22, 1837
Stryn, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Death: 1900 (63)
Lincoln, Winnebago, Iowa, United States

One interesting side note. I am a member of Geni.com and as a useful tool it automatically informs me if I am releated to the person that I am looking at. Geni.com has informed me that

Andrew Danielsen Loen Rake is my 18th cousin once removed. So it is true that almost everyone born in Norway is related to one another.

Edited by - AntonH on 03/02/2015 17:21:52
Go to Top of Page

sabingd
Medium member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  04:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lyndal40

I have to admit that I have never used Geni.com and I don't know how to get around in it. So when you mentioned Audun Hestakorn Hugleiksson Hegranes, I find I am having difficulty understanding what you are telling me. Is it that Audun is related to Andrew Danelsen Leon Rake, or does your link refer to how I can get misled by information. Please clarify this for me. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  15:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sabingd, lyndal40 will no doubt return to answer, but meanwhile may I suggest he is just announcing that GENI has a public family tree that includes your ancestor Andrew Danielson Rake. He didn't point to any errors; the tree may or may not have errors. He didn't say "This tree needs to be verified" because that point has already been made. Reason I stressed it is you seemed to continue to trust trees despite some bad run ins with them in this forum and despite that warnings had been raised. Trees are very tempting! We've all posted links to them, or cited them. After all, a tree might be correct - it's just that any tree needs to be checked out.

I'll return later and delete this whole post. It is of a temporary nature.

Eibache started on the road to original, valid research of the ancestors of Andrew D Rake - which is what needs be done - and I hope you'll return to confirm you noticed that. Not noticing is kind of like holding up a stop sign. Normally we stick to posting genealogy facts or genealogy process recommendations, nothing personal - but may I say you personally have the persistence and tenacity and interest level that can lead to creating a really excellent genealogy to give your family. Your next step in that direction is to discover the Aha! fun of finding and understanding actual, original records and seeing in them the mirror of those who are "yours."

Remember the birth record for Hilda/Cleo was posted? It gave her mother's surname, and Cleo's death record also gave her mother's surname. Yet you seemed not to know who Hilda's mother was. So apparently you did not engage with the birth record posted for you. Maybe you looked at it but couldn't decipher it. It is important to decipher the old handwritten records, and if you had asked for help deciphering, you probably would have gotten help with it. But for SURE you would get respect for the question - showing that you read the record and tried to understand it is serious genealogy.

Then when you read the transcription of Hilda's emigration record, you clearly engaged, powerfully! with that record. And therein lies some of why many people like to do their own genealogies (with some help) rather than hire a professional. This thrill of a personal encounter with our ancestors is lost to us when we distance ourselves by plucking a name and date off a tree.

I would guess that trees are more "in your comfort zone" and antique Norwegian records are not. That's true for 99.9999999% of people, after all! But the forum contributors love a project - love to help. And as you engage with the records, dip into those unfamiliar waters, the more you will acclimate. A newly expanded comfort zone is formed. The tree fascination has slowed that progress, which was true for me too, and I know many others say the same. All that is understandable. I just encourage though that you notice, wow! eibache posted original records I've not seen! Then you examine and ask questions about those records (if you have any). You yourself need to understand each move on the genealogy ladder, and someone here will probably have answers to any questions. Bear in mind: if everybody in this world thoroughly understood Norwegian genealogy, this forum and this hobby (the hobby of doing volunteer genealogy for others) would be extinct.

So, I would hope we would turn attention to eibache's research, and cross fingers we can continue to build on it. Research in these early records is not my area, but I'll be learning as I read along.

Edited by - JaneC on 04/02/2015 16:04:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article