All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Looking for information on Emma S. Moen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

lisadelozier

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  18:08:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, sorry last few days, been busy for me. back to this. i see two ole olsen. so I am kinda confused could you please make sure which is belong to. so I can see the lineage down. because there is another one same as that name on other post. so I am double checking with you. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

lisadelozier

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2015 :  17:24:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay. ill write down, Emma Dad's and Louie's grandparent are the same name Ole Olsen?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2015 :  17:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same name, different lives.
Go to Top of Page

LCampbell

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2015 :  22:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am interested in the information you posted here concerning the family of Lars Hansen Rusten and Mary Serkland. My Great Grandfathers name was Lars Rusten and he had a daughter Mary Larson Serkland. They lived in Odin, MN. She married Carl Serkland in St. James Mn. Her mothers name was Kari or Karis. I believe that they came from Gubrandsdalen, Norway about 1880. I am wondering if these might be the individuals in your records. Thank you for any help.

LCampbell
Go to Top of Page

LCampbell

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2015 :  23:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe his name was Lars Hanson Rusten born in 1823.

LCampbell
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2015 :  23:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Mary Larson was born 11 October 1873 in Gulbrandsdalen? I'm taking that birth date from a public family tree posted on Ancestry.com.

Gulbrandsdalen is in Oppland fylke, where the Lars in this thread was born.

Here is the church book record for Mari, born 11 October 1873 in Lom parish in Oppland fylke. Her parents are listed as Lars Hansen A--?-- (Åmoten?)
and Kari Olsdatter. The priest has made a note "Amerika.
SOURCE: Oppland fylke, Lom, Ministerialbok nr. 7 (1863-1884), Fødte og døpte 1873, side 55.

The same person could be called Lars Hansen Åmoten and Lars Hansen Rusten. The reference to the farm is like giving an address, a nickname that is not a permanent part of the person's name.

I'll need to review this thread (it's been a while!) to see whether the same Lars is discussed here in this thread.

Minnesota Marriages Index (from Ancestry.com)
Name: Carl A Serkland
Marriage Date: 7 May 1896
Marriage Place: St James, Watonwan, Minnesota
Spouse's Name: Mary Larson
Spouse Gender: Female
Event Type: Marriage
FHL Film Number: 1638097

Here is the marriage of Lars Hansen and Kari Olsdatter, first on the left-hand page #9
SOURCE: Oppland fylke, Lom, Ministerialbok nr. 7 (1863-1884), Ekteviede 1873, side 186.
25 April 1873
Widower Lars Hansen born 18 December 1824, father Hans Jakobsen
marries
maiden Kari Olsdatter born 09 December 1848, father Ole Erlandsen
residence: Aamodten?

Edited by - JaneC on 19/05/2015 03:22:43
Go to Top of Page

LCampbell

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2015 :  00:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much.This is definitely the right family. My grandfather Sigurd was born in Minnesota. He is the youngest sibling of Mari. I am very interested in the records in Norway for this family. When were Lars and Kari married? I know that the other siblings are Lars born 1872 and Peter born 1876 in Norway. There may have been another brother. I don't know when Kari was born, abt. 1850 I think. Lars abt. 1823. That is a big age difference. Could he have been married before? I don't know either of their parents names. All I had to go on was a note in my fathers baby book with their names. I do know more about Mary Larson Serkland as her family did the tree on Ancestry. Anything you can find on the families of Lars and Kari would be greatly appreciated.

LCampbell
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2015 :  00:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lars and Kari were married at Lom church in Lom parish in Oppland fylke. Click on the link in my previous post to see their marriage record.

Yes he was married before. As the transcription of the marriage record shows, your Lars is called a widower when he married Kari. The Lars Hansen mentioned earlier in this thread, as father of Amund Larson, also had a father Hans Jacobsen....give me a couple minutes to look at all that. (I added to my earlier post, so you may need to refresh the web page...)

Edited by - JaneC on 19/05/2015 00:43:57
Go to Top of Page

LCampbell

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2015 :  00:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jane, I see that you have answered most of my questions already with the post on their marriage. This is remarkable timing as my sister is going to Norway this summer! Thank you so very much. I have been searching for many years and this is the most reliable information I have been able to find.

LCampbell
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2015 :  00:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Counties of Norway here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Norway

We can use this website to find the church : kart.finn.no/
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2015 :  01:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Below, the family emigrating together from Lom in 1880 - the last names are shortened (Hans = Hansen; the wife Kari uses her maiden name as Norwegian women did; the children are Larsen after their father's first name of Lars) Link
SOURCE: Alle utvandrarar frå Lom til USA i åra 1854-1883

1880 Lars Hans 1824 G M Åmoten
1880 Kari Ola 1848 G K Åmoten
1880 Lars Lars 1872 U M Åmoten
1880 Mari Lars 1874 U K Åmoten
1880 Peder Lars 1876 U M Åmoten
1880 Kari Lars 1878 U K Åmoten

The year after the name is the person's birth year.
K is female, M is male.
U is ugift (unmarried), G is gift (married)
Åmoten is the farm where they were living.

Below is the churchbook record, showing the family registered to leave Lom parish. The above list is the typed version of this record: #21-26

Edited by - JaneC on 19/05/2015 01:49:20
Go to Top of Page

LCampbell

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2015 :  02:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there birth/baptismal records for Lars and/or Kari that show their mothers names?

LCampbell
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2015 :  02:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, I was just coming back with Lars's birth record, here:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070603500257.jpg
To read it first to know is that "do" means ditto. The birth date and baptismal date are ditto (same as) child above. Also, a person's name can be broken in the middle (written on two lines).

Born 18 December 1824
Lars
Baptized January --
Parents Hans Jacobsen and Kari Larsdatter
Place name is hard to read (others in the forum will know)
Then to the right comes a list of witnesses - can be family or friends

Edited by - JaneC on 19/05/2015 02:56:42
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2015 :  03:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see the name Rusten anywhere so far. Where did you get that (what is the source)? An online tree?

Early in this thread was posted a link to an emigration record for a Lars Hanson Rusten - not your Lars. In Ormsby, Martin county, Minnesota is buried a Lars Hanson Rusten died 1893. (See Find a Grave). In St Olaf Lutheran Church records there, his death is recorded as Lars H Rusten.

Have you found this family in US census or other records in 1900 and/or earlier? If so please post.

I haven't looked at any family tree with parents or siblings for Mary Larsen Serkland. The tree I found had no birth family info. The facts we have so far support your suspicion that she may be a half-sister to the Amund Larson in this thread. The Original Poster stated Amund's mother was Mary Serkland. Now here comes your Mary Larsen Serkland. No basis was found for "Serkland" in this thread. My guess is the Original Poster has a mysterious Mary Serkland (in a photo, a Bible, or whatever) and she is Amund's half-sister, not mother.

Well, the point being, there may possibly be a mix up about "Rusten"? Thus the question - what is your source?

Edited by - JaneC on 19/05/2015 03:17:55
Go to Top of Page

LCampbell

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2015 :  03:37:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father's baby book had his grandparents names listed as Lars and Kari Rusten. Both were deceased by the date of his birth in 1923. Mary Serkland listed her name as Mary Rusten Larson. I think the Lars Hansen Rusten in St. Olaf Cemeteryy is my Lars as the same headstone lists Kari. His dates are 1823-1893 and hers are 1878-1920. I contacted the pastor of the church to try and verify that these were my relatives and we are still trying to make that connection firm. Your information makes me think it is even more because you listed a child named Kari born in 1878. I found a census Minnesota 1885 that lists a Hanson family. It confused me because the father was listed as Hans Hanson. The wife was Kari and the children are Lars, Mary, Peter and Sigurd. All of the years match with this Hanson family. The three older children were born in Norway and Sigurd was born in Minnesota. There was also a note by Peter on Sigurds death certificate with Kari's name but had a former name of Hanson. I thought it might be a maiden name. I wIll continue to follow up with the Pastor to confirm this information. Also there are records for a Kari Lars Rusten. When I found out Rusten was a place name, it helped me feel strongly that Hanson was the fathers last name.

LCampbell
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article