All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Mary Johnson in Chicago, IL - born Norway in 1865
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  23:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lars, as you probably know one can search 1900 US Census fo Mar* Johns* born 1865 +/- 2, arrival 1885 on Ancestry.com. Doing that does not turn up many candidates and no good ones. Here is what I found. Further spelling the last name Jons* does not turn up any candidates.

View Record Name Parent or spouse names Home in 1900
(City, County, State) Birth Date Birthplace Relation to Head of House View Image

View Record
Mary Johnson
Charles Superior Ward 7, Douglas, Wisconsin Feb 1865 Norway Wife

View Record
Mona Johnson
[Mary Johnson]
Gustave Brooklyn Ward 22, Kings, New York Feb 1865 Norway Wife

View Record
Martha Johnson
Louis Chicago Ward 15, Cook, Illinois May 1867 Norway Wife

View Record
Mary Johnson
Andrew E West Glenwood, Garfield, Colorado Oct 1867 Norway Wife

View Record
Mary Johnson
Clem Kiester, Faribault, Minnesota Dec 1867 Norway Wife

Edited by - AntonH on 06/03/2015 23:45:29
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  23:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If one ignores the first name, and searches for Johns*, born 1865 +/- 2, arrival 1885 and living in Illinois we have 11 candidates, but only one born Aug 1865.

View Record Name Parent or spouse names Home in 1900
(City, County, State) Birth Date Birthplace Relation to Head of House View Image
View Record
Cathrine Johnson
Chicago Ward 24, Cook, Illinois 1864 Norway Head
View Record
Emma Johnson
Nels Aurora, Kane, Illinois Aug 1865 Norway Wife
View Record
Olive K Johnson
Nigal C Belvidere, Boone, Illinois May 1865 Norway Wife
View Record
Therese H Johnson
[Theresa H Johnson]
George Elgin Ward 6, Kane, Illinois Feb 1865 Norway Wife
View Record
Annie M Johnson
Fred Chicago Ward 27, Cook, Illinois Aug 1866 Norway Wife
View Record
Gertie Johnson
Gertie,
Ole N Laona, Winnebago, Illinois Apr 1866 Norway Wife
View Record
Hannah Johnson
Adolf Chicago Ward 15, Cook, Illinois Nov 1866 Norway Wife
View Record
Inga Johnson
John Chicago Ward 16, Cook, Illinois Aug 1866 Norway Wife
View Record
Hanna Johnsen
Richard Chicago Ward 14, Cook, Illinois Jun 1867 Norway Wife
View Record
Lizzie Johnson
Alfred Chicago Ward 28, Cook, Illinois Jun 1867 Sweden
[Norway] Wife
View Record
Martha Johnson
Louis Chicago Ward 15, Cook, Illinois May 1867 Norway Wife
Go to Top of Page

larsoyane
Starting member

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  01:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jackie, Jane, lyndal40 and other listers!

You have brought me some very interesting details about the Hogans. That marriage f their in St. Louis Co., MN in fact surprises me. These people never lived "on the sunny side". Life was "tough" in the woods of Washburn Co., WI

I have also spent considerable time searching for alternative Mar" Johns" in Chicago, IL, and I thought I was onto something when I found in 1910 a Mary Johnson married to Fred A. Johnson, a Finnish guy. In 1900 she is called Anna M. and born in Norway in August of 1866. However, I subsequently found their marriage license from 1888, and she was definitely NOT the person we want!

And of the many "candidates" which you lyndal40 show, there is none who really "jump out" at me!

As I already said; this problem is not easy to solve, but Mary has to be somewhere, and we know she was alive in 1902 when her mother died!

Thanks again for your efforts, and Good Luck! I keep my fingers well crossed and hope...

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  02:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
And of the many "candidates" which you lyndal40 show, there is none who really "jump out" at me!

Agreed

Edited by - AntonH on 07/03/2015 02:54:58
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  19:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Lars's extensive research, here's a recap of the siblings in the USA, in case obits or possible new info on any might shed light on Mary:

Hans Johannesson Urness b 1848 died near Colfax, Whitman county, Washington 1926
Martha Johannessodtter married name Kins b 1850 died Eau Claire, Wisconsin 1904
Nils Johannesson Kins b 1853 died in Bashaw, Washburn, Wisconsin in 1920
Anna Johannessdotter married name Haugen b 1856 died in Superior, Douglas, Wisconsin 1930
Johannes Johannesson Hill b 1858 died Roseglen, McLean, North Dakota 1923
Christopher Johannesson Hill b 1863 died in Mondovi, Buffalo, Wisconsin 1946
Marie - ?

Edited by - JaneC on 09/03/2015 11:37:23
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  23:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A list of Mary Johnsons in Wisconsin in 1900 Census, immigration 1885, birth year 1865. Finds only one with a very big family?

Mary Johnson in the 1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Mary Johnson
Birth Date: Feb 1865
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1900: Superior Ward 7, Douglas, Wisconsin
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1885
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Charles Johnson
Marriage Year: 1888
Years Married: 12
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Mother: number of living children: 6
Mother: How many children: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Charles Johnson 40
Mary Johnson 35
Louise Johnson 11
Emma Johnson 9
John Johnson 8
Selma Johnson 6
Clarice Johnson 4
Julia Johnson 1

Go to Top of Page

larsoyane
Starting member

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2015 :  23:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear lyndal40, Jane and other listers!

Thank you very much for several new massages on the Mary Johnson topic.

I have studied the Johnson family from Superior, WI, but even if Mary has many dates "matching" "our" Mary, I have trouble accepting her as a good candidate, for two main reasons:

* A year or two off in the birth year is not uncommon, but not 6 months! Many of the emigrants maybe didn't know the exact year they were born, but they normally did keep track of the date, or at least very close date.

* The other reason for my reluctance is the fact she lived at Superior, WI, which is just too far away from Chicago IL! However, the 2nd argument may not be good, since the family seems to have been moving around... I cannot find them in any other censuses! They may well have moved to Chicago, IL later!? Or could it be they went by a different last name?

The idea about checking the obituaries of Mary's siblings is a good one. I know I have seen some of these obituaries, but not all of them. Here is Chris Hill's obituary from 1946:

"Christ J Hill died at his home in Mondovl May 30. Mr. Hill was born in Sogn, Norway, May 6, 1863, son of Johannes and Mary Haugen. He was one or nine child ren. He was baptized in the Lyster church in Norway. At tho age of 18 he immigrated to this country. For a number of years he worked around Mondovl and Eau Claire. He bought a farm in the town of Naples, which he sold and then bought the farm in the town of Mondovl which he cleared and built UP and still owned. He lived here until the fall of 1942 when he moved to Mondovl. On July 4, 1901, he married Ella Rcscland , town of Mondovl. To them six children were born. He was treasurer of the Waste Valley school for 31 years, a director of the Farmers' Cooperative creamery for ft number of years, was supervisor of the town of Mondovl and served as trustee of the Central Lutheran church , of which he was a charter member. The loss of his leg in 1941 prevented him from taking an active part in the church work. He is survived by his wife, Ella, and the following children: Mrs. Bert (Myrtle) Sie, James. Mrs. Clayton (Bella) Wulfl. Allen, and Cecil, all of Mondovl , and Mrs. Martin (Mildred) Ambuehl , Durand. Nine grandchildren also survive. Funeral services were held Monday at 1:30 p. m. in the Waste Valley farm home and at the Central Lutheran church in Mondovl at 1 p. m., the Rev. A. R. Sellcvold officiating. Burial was in Riverside cemetery."

Unfortunately, no mention of any siblings, so we are lead to think that Mary died before 1946!

Thanks again for your great assistance in this matter!

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  06:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ELCA databases at Archives.com have so far not yielded any information on the persons for which you requested middle names, birthdate & death date clarifications. The following is the list of Mary Johnson deaths and serve to illustrate the problems in using the databases--lack of church names in all cases, lack of locations in most cases, etc., etc, etc.:

Mary Johnson buried 10 Dec 1932 (no other identifying information about Mary in the record) church named Trinity Lutheran but no location other than Illinois

Mrs. Mary Johnson b. Norway d.27 Oct 1899, age 57 buried 29 Oct 1899, Rev Andreas Oefstedal serving, church named Bethel Lutheran in Chicago, Illinois

Mrs. Mary Louise Johnson b. 1 Oct 1863 d. 16 Jan 1942 of cancer at Elk Point, S. Dak sic, buried 19 Jan 1942 in Elk Point Cemetery, church named Zion Lutheran, Peoria, Illinois

Mary Johnson d. 19 Nov 1916, aged 70 of heart ailment in Morris, Illinois; buried 22 Nov 1916, church identified only as American Lutheran in Grundy county, Illinois

Mary Johnson nee Loveen or Lomen; age 31 d. 18 Feb 1899 buried 20 Feb 1899; church identified as American Lutheran in Chicago, Illinois

+ two other Marys who had such birthdates as to eliminate from consideration to be our Mary

Maria Johnson d. 24 Oct 1918 buried 27 Oct 1918 church is First Lutheran in Blue Island, Illinois. No further information available since the link to the image of the page was broken. age is 22, name is rendered as Marie Johnson Erdahl and spouse is Birdie Erdahl.

Mrs Marie Johnson d. 20 Sept 1915, age 54 bur 22 Sept 1915, resident of 1839 N Washburne (Washburners?) Arlington Heights;
church: Emmaus, Bethlehem, United, St. John, St. Paul in Cook or Dupage county

Mrs. Marie Johnson d. 8 June 1931, age 69 d. Minneapolis born Norway; bur. 12 June 1931; church American Lutheran in Minook/ Platteville Illinois (a bit peculiar since most of the people on the page died in Minnesota locations Waseca, Richland county, etc.etc.)

Edited by - jkmarler on 21/03/2015 10:04:31
Go to Top of Page

larsoyane
Starting member

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  07:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jackie and other Listers!

Thank you very much, Jackie, for explaining a little bit how archives.com function in regard to church records from ELCA. None of the Mary Johnsons which you included, seem to "jump out at me", so maybe trying to locate some of these obituaries for the siblings may be a better way to go in searching for her?

Thanks again for your efforts!

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  14:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"...so maybe trying to locate some of these obituaries for the siblings may be a better way to go in searching for her?"

This is usually a good strategy provided that there are enough siblings with a variety of death dates that might be utilized.

Here is Anna Haugen's memorial at findagrave. Al Hogen has put flowers on her memorial calling her great grandma. If you click on his name you can get his email address. Maybe someone in the family has her obituary.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=haugen&GSfn=anna&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1930&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=100283195&df=all&

Edited by - jkmarler on 09/03/2015 14:21:12
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  16:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are the Mary Johnsons born in 1865 died after 1902 buried in Illinois in findagrave

Johnson, Mary 58841703
b. 1865 d. 1959 Avon Centre Cemetery
Grayslake Lake CountyIllinois, USA

Johnson, Mary 85253360
b. 1865 d. 1943 Riverview Cemetery
Oregon,Ogle County,Illinois, USA

Johnson, Mary 90823607
b. 1865 d. 1934 Forest Hill Cemetery
Wyanet, Bureau County Illinois, USA

Johnson, Mary C 32192361
b. 1865 d. 1942 Riverside Cemetery
Moline Rock Island CountyIllinois, USA

Johnson, Mary C. 29994465
b. 1865 d. 1951 New Hampshire Cemetery
Lily Lake, Kane County Illinois, USA

Johnson, Mary C. 74037142
b. 1865 d. 1946 Olio Township Cemetery
Eureka,Woodford CountyIllinois, USA

Johnson, Mary Lavada McBride 123818662
b. Oct. 15, 1865 d. Nov. 6, 1922 Long Cemetery
Belleview, Calhoun County,Illinois, USA

Johnson, Mary P. 70206260
b. Apr. 5, 1865 d. Sep. 29, 1939 Oakwood Cemetery
Waukegan,Lake County,Illinois, USA

No Marie / Maria Johnson with the same biographical facts as above found in Illinois findagrave.

Edited by - jkmarler on 09/03/2015 16:15:58
Go to Top of Page

larsoyane
Starting member

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  18:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jackie and other Listers!

Thank you very much, Jackie, for your latest messages! That was an interesting list of Mary Johnsons from "find-a-grave"! . However, as far as I can determine, they were all Swedish, except for one who was born in Illinois of H´German parents!

I have today received an obituary for Anna Haugen from Superior, WI. It is a wonderful large obituary listing all of her children, but NO siblings!

So, still no BIG NEWS as far as Mary is concerned..., but thanks again for all of your efforts in this matter!

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  20:38:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lars: You might try tracking down one of Anna's children.....or grandchildren. I had some luck doing this on Ancestry.com to find genealogy information. Genealogy study is so popular now there is often a distant relative somewhere who is researching the same family heritage as you are. I now collaborate with several distant (formerly unknown) relatives that share the same ancestry.....and can often fill in some of my unknowns.

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

larsoyane
Starting member

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2015 :  11:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Lorne and other Listers!

Thank you very much, Lorne, for your latest comment on this topic!

I must tell you, I am well familiar with the procedure which you describe, and that has already been tried. However, it appears that this family was not a very "close" one, and now-living family members have rather limited knowledge of their relatives!

Then let me add that I have received a report from the Buffalo County, WI Museum, and they are unable to find an obituary for the sister Martha Kins of Mondovi, WI who died in 1904. She died in Eau Claire, WI, but no obituary can be found there either! So it seems like we end up "empty-handed" as far as Martha is concerned...

However, they did find another obituary for Chris J. Hill who died in 1946, and this is even more complete that the one referred above, starting out like this:

"Chris J. Hill, one of the pioneers of Buffalo county, born in Sogn, Norway May 6, 1863, a son of Johannes and Mary Haugen, the last survivor of a family of nine children." And further down: "He is also survived by [...] and several nieces and nephew".

So, we may definitely conclude that Mary Johnson had died prior to June of 1946!

I am expecting obituaries for Nels and John during the couple of days to come...

Thanks again for your great assistance in this matter!
Go to Top of Page

larsoyane
Starting member

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2015 :  03:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Listers!

I have finally received a copy of John J. Hill's obituary from McLean Co., ND from June of 1923. Now this obituary is quite detailed, but once again, the siblings are only "statistically" mentioned:

John was survived by all of his children, then "3 brothers and 2 sisters"!

When we look at John's siblings from 1923, we know the following were living at that time:

* Mons Kroken in Norway (1845-1925)

* Hans Urness in Washington (1848-1926)

* Anna Haugen in Superior, WI (1856-1930)

* Lars Haugen in Norway (1860-1936)

* Christopher Hill in Buffalo Co., WI (1863-1946)

* Andrea Hammaren in Norway (1871-1959)

As we see, there were 4 brothers and 2 sisters known to be living, and then we have no idea as far as Mary is concerned! So, how should we interpret John's obituary??

Thanks a million for any additional suggestions in this matter!

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article